PDA

View Full Version : small engine repair question

G.
06-01-09, 05:29 PM
What exactly would make gas pour out of the exhaust pipe in a lawnmower? Stuck float?

Honduh, horizontal piston (1), OHV.

No "BANG!", "POP!", not even a "kerflooie!".

Wife cut grass, sounded like it was running a tiny bit rough (I thought she left it choked or that it was running out of gas). Finished up, put it in the garage after it cooled down, started smelling gas last night (just a little). This AM the garage saturated in gas fumes. Mower deck had standing gas on it. It was dripping from the muffler.

Pulled it outside, tipped it a bit to drain out the exhaust, pulled the cord some to try to find the compression stroke, and left it in the rain.

It's only about 7 years old, so except for the **** transmission that don't work (used to be self-propelled), it's worth fixing.

I certainly expect to hear some FHonda-type comments, so please be creative! Thanks!

SteveH
06-01-09, 05:37 PM
get a new mower, keep the wife

she actually mows your lawn? :thumbup:

Gnam
06-01-09, 05:47 PM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/Honda-Mower-Fuel-Leak.htm

This link and others recommend installing a cut off valve on the fuel line so you can manually shut off the fuel when the mower is not being used.

Maybe you can call AJ Foyt and see what hammer size he recommends.

oddlycalm
06-01-09, 06:00 PM
This link and others recommend installing a cut off valve on the fuel line so you can manually shut off the fuel when the mower is not being used.

You'd think with 60yrs of building motorcycles with gravity flow fuel tanks and putting a fuel shutoff valve in every one they'd have put one on a mower.

oc

G.
06-01-09, 06:15 PM
Um, you mean that little valve thingy right beside the carb?

Yeah, well, I can tell you that I did use it for the first time this AM. :gomer:

Never saw a need before, plus it something that the wife will forget to turn on before she tries to start the thing.

Yeah, we trade doing the lawn. Used to almost argue about who gets to cut the grass. Now that the g.'s aren't so diapery, notsomuch.

Gnam, I'm sorry , but the link you posted really reads to me like it's from a drunk guy at the corner pub. :D

Drunk guy may be full of wisdom, but I just get the feeling he's going to segue into a rant on immigration next. :p

So really, you guys are saying to use the damn cutoff, and that it's NOT a problem??

Stay tuned for my next exciting topic posting, "How my neighbor's fence done got burned".

TravelGal
06-02-09, 03:02 AM
And here I thought you were supposed to drain the gas out every time you finish. Wouldn't know for sure because we always used an electric mower before we hired the local "immigrant" group to mow blow and go.

nrc
06-02-09, 03:46 AM
Stay tuned for my next exciting topic posting, "How my neighbor's fence done got burned".
http://www.joespc.com/carlos/photo/yardburn1.jpg
Courtesy of the classic Redneck Neighbor (http://www.joespc.com/carlos/redneck.htm) site. :gomer:

Al Czervik
06-02-09, 08:49 AM
What exactly would make gas pour out of the exhaust pipe in a lawnmower? Stuck float?

More than likely either a stuck float or a hole in the float. You can rebuild the carb or add 'turn off the fuel' to your check list after mowing. You will also want to check the oil. My guess is that it has been seriously diluted w/ gas.

- Had the same thing with my rider. 12 HP Briggs. Would not have known except I checked the oil level before starting and smelled gas in the oil, as well as the combined liquids overflowing when I pulled the cap.

oddlycalm
06-02-09, 08:38 PM
You will also want to check the oil. My guess is that it has been seriously diluted w/ gas.

Yup, that's why they started putting shutoff valves on motorcycles. A few crankcase explosions was all it took... :eek::D

oc

SteveH
06-02-09, 09:36 PM
Courtesy of the classic Redneck Neighbor (http://www.joespc.com/carlos/redneck.htm) site. :gomer:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indy
06-03-09, 09:48 PM

That would be so much funnier if I were not motivated to spend an extra couple hundred thousand on my house to avoid any possibility of that happening to me, again. :saywhat:

G.
06-12-09, 01:37 AM
New carb, $35.00, 10 mins.

Once I verify no leaky, change the oil and show wife the little valve thing.

I should dig a hole in my backyard to pour the used oil into, but I might set off he buried ammo stash back there...

:gomer:

Thanks!

(Indy, couldn't you have just offered $50k to Spicoli to move, instead of you?) :p

G.
08-28-11, 07:04 PM
Just thinking, maybe I should update this. It appears to be a pretty common small engine issue.

Carb kept the fuel in for all of about 1.5 cuttings. I just used the shutoff until I could get a chance to fix it right. The thing started running like crap, lots of fuel in the air filter, so I made the time. (also, 4-stroke gas trimmer started leaking fuel out the air filter.)

Stuck valve. I did not expect that.

Carb cleaner spray. Lots and lots of it. Sprayed right into the combustion chamber. Over and over.

I use fresh gas, never buy more than 2 gals. at a time, always use Sta-Bil. Always. I really thought that would keep things clean.

Nope.

Learn from my ignorance.