PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

dando
05-25-09, 10:29 AM
Today we honor those that have sacrificed. Thank you.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

SteveH
05-25-09, 10:47 AM
well said

We will forever be in their debt.

Insomniac
05-25-09, 12:19 PM
Thank you.

G.
05-25-09, 01:20 PM
Just got back from marching in the parade.

Saw the local Pearl Harbor veteran there again. It's always nice to see him.

Thank you, and rest well.

TravelGal
05-25-09, 04:13 PM
Thank you dando for posting that. I can't even get past the NAME before I tear up.

There is an email going around with some marvelous cartoons about rememberance. There is also one with the definitions of words. "Departure" is a marine handing a folded flag to a young boy about nine dressed in his Sunday best suit and holding back tears. I confess I couldn't hold back mine.

devilmaster
05-25-09, 05:47 PM
They shall not grow old;
As we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them;
Nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun;
And in the morning;

We Shall Remember Them.

coolhand
05-25-09, 06:18 PM
Thank you dando for posting that. I can't even get past the NAME before I tear up.

There is an email going around with some marvelous cartoons about rememberance. There is also one with the definitions of words. "Departure" is a marine handing a folded flag to a young boy about nine dressed in his Sunday best suit and holding back tears. I confess I couldn't hold back mine.

http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/12/christian.jpg

SteveH
05-25-09, 06:28 PM
aw geez...

nrc
05-26-09, 12:37 AM
Words never seem like enough. I suppose all I can say is, "Thanks."

dando
05-31-10, 11:55 AM

cameraman
05-31-10, 12:11 PM
That sums it up.

Don Quixote
05-31-10, 12:26 PM
Amen.

Elmo T
05-31-10, 12:48 PM
A steady stream of vets in the local parade this AM with Grand Marshal David Dolby - a Medal of Honor recipient.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, when his platoon, while advancing tactically, suddenly came under intense fire from the enemy located on a ridge immediately to the front. Six members of the platoon were killed instantly and a number were wounded, including the platoon leader. Sgt. Dolby's every move brought fire from the enemy. However, aware that the platoon leader was critically wounded, and that the platoon was in a precarious situation, Sgt. Dolby moved the wounded men to safety and deployed the remainder of the platoon to engage the enemy. Subsequently, his dying platoon leader ordered Sgt. Dolby to withdraw the forward elements to rejoin the platoon. Despite the continuing intense enemy fire and with utter disregard for his own safety, Sgt. Dolby positioned able-bodied men to cover the withdrawal of the forward elements, assisted the wounded to the new position, and he, alone, attacked enemy positions until his ammunition was expended. Replenishing his ammunition, he returned to the area of most intense action, single-handedly killed 3 enemy machine gunners and neutralized the enemy fire, thus enabling friendly elements on the flank to advance on the enemy redoubt. He defied the enemy fire to personally carry a seriously wounded soldier to safety where he could be treated and, returning to the forward area, he crawled through withering fire to within 50 meters of the enemy bunkers and threw smoke grenades to mark them for air strikes. Although repeatedly under fire at close range from enemy snipers and automatic weapons, Sgt. Dolby directed artillery fire on the enemy and succeeded in silencing several enemy weapons. He remained in his exposed location until his comrades had displaced to more secure positions. His actions of unsurpassed valor during 4 hours of intense combat were a source of inspiration to his entire company, contributed significantly to the success of the overall assault on the enemy position, and were directly responsible for saving the lives of a number of his fellow soldiers. Sgt. Dolby's heroism was in the highest tradition of the U.S. Army.

A true hero and it makes me think about the untold stories of those unnamed soldiers who didn't make it safely home.

extramundane
05-31-10, 01:59 PM
First Memorial Day without my Air Force vet father...got a little choked up this morning.

Thanks, folks. :thumbup:

stroker
05-31-10, 02:22 PM
There's a McDonalds in Concordia, MO just off I-70. It has a plaque documenting all the servicemen from that county who died in the military. I was looking at it the other week and wondering what those guys would think if they'd known 60 or 70 years later that people would be looking at their pictures and saying silent prayers of gratitude. I wish more restaurants or bars would do things like that.

nrc
05-31-10, 02:23 PM
It's humbling to consider the courage and commitment of our men and women in uniform. God bless them all.

SteveH
05-31-10, 02:38 PM
It's humbling to consider the courage and commitment of our men and women in uniform. God bless them all.

Well said.

TravelGal
05-31-10, 03:36 PM

Well said.

Indeed.

dando
05-29-11, 04:37 PM

For those that serve or served, and those that have been lost. Thank you. :thumbup:

-Kevin

SteveH
05-29-11, 10:04 PM
Again, thanks :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
05-30-11, 03:04 PM
http://www.chicken-scratch.ca/in%20flanders%20field.jpg

TravelGal
05-30-11, 03:10 PM
Definitely something I remember often. Still cannot read this poem without tearing up.

One organization that seems to be on the up and up is Operation Christmas Cards (.org). Started two years ago by a woman who wants to be able to send a Christmas card to every deployed person in the military. First year 87,000; last year 140,000 cards sent.

SteveH
05-30-11, 06:42 PM
Over the past few days I've seen too many segments on the news featuring young children who have lost a parent in the recent wars. I can not watch these. I just can't. We'll never be able to thank this children enough for the loss they will have for the rest of their lives. Bless them all.

cameraman
05-30-11, 09:08 PM
We have lost 6025 in the last decade or so. Actually more as that number is a few days old. There are a lot of those stories.

Indy
05-30-11, 09:16 PM
I have read that the number is understated because soldiers who die of their injuries after being taken out of Iraq/Afghanistan are not counted in the DOD's statistic. Does anyone know if that is true?

SurfaceUnits
05-31-11, 01:32 AM
Hallowed Ground is playing on your PBS station, about the US servicemen's cemetaries around the world. 100,000 or more are buried in France, Benelux, Italy, and GB

TravelGal
05-28-12, 11:20 AM
Today we honor those that have sacrificed. Thank you.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

nrc
05-28-12, 02:57 PM
Thank you and God bless to everyone who is or has served.

gjc2
05-28-12, 04:29 PM
My mother lost a brother in World War Two, he died in 1945, he was 19 years old. My mother still sheds a tear for him every day. Up until just a few years ago I would take my mother to the cemetery, her parents are in the same grave.

When I visit the cemetery my father, his parents and an aunt and uncle are in I pass a grave of a man who was died in Viet Nam in 1968. I don’t know a single thing about him. I assume he was just a little older than me. I stop at his grave and say a Hail Mary, I hope he was Catholic.

stroker
05-28-12, 09:10 PM
My mother lost a brother in World War Two, he died in 1945, he was 19 years old. My mother still sheds a tear for him every day. Up until just a few years ago I would take my mother to the cemetery, her parents are in the same grave.

When I visit the cemetery my father, his parents and an aunt and uncle are in I pass a grave of a man who was died in Viet Nam in 1968. I don’t know a single thing about him. I assume he was just a little older than me. I stop at his grave and say a Hail Mary, I hope he was Catholic.

He appreciates it, regardless.

TravelGal
05-28-12, 10:17 PM
He appreciates it, regardless.

Thank you, stroker. I was thinking the same thing.

dando
05-26-13, 09:52 PM

Insomniac
05-26-13, 11:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who has sacrificed for everything that we have today.

nrc
05-27-13, 10:46 PM
We can never thank them enough.

https://upworthy-production.s3.amazonaws.com/nugget/4fc2e718124b69000300059a/attachments/Memorial-day-not-for-bbq.jpg

Elmo T
08-08-13, 08:17 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this - this thread seemed most appropriate. I picked this up from one of my fire related sites:

Fire Marshal Robert (Bob) Kline who retired from West Side Fire District (Manatee County, FL) in 1992 after 29 years with the district passed away today. Bob was a progressive, fire prevention advocate, instructor and investigator back in the day. He understood the critical importance of his job ...but never ever lost his sense of humor and ability to tell firehouse stories-most of which were far removed from reality or the truth-but that's what was so cool about him. A very cool guy who will certainly be missed. RIP Marshal.

I didn't have the luxury on knowing this gentleman, but it was the accompanying video that really caught my eye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5y7h5C4Yk&feature=youtu.be

:(:thumbup:

TravelGal
08-08-13, 12:21 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this - this thread seemed most appropriate. I picked this up from one of my fire related sites:

:(:thumbup:

:thumbup: Kudos to the people who thought to interview him. Plain spoken truth. Honest values. Clear understanding of life. Thanks for posting, Elmo T.

nrc
05-29-17, 02:51 PM
Today our thoughts are with all who have served and those we have lost. God bless them all.

nrc
05-26-20, 12:26 AM
Because access to Arlington National Cemetery is currently limited to family members, Emily Domenech offered on Twitter to visit the graves of any loved ones that people were unable to visit today. She spent all day visiting memorials and posting photographs until she had to leave when the cemetery closed at 5PM.

So much sacrifice. We can never thank them enough.

https://twitter.com/ehdomenech/status/1264910621608415235

TravelGal
05-26-20, 02:20 PM
Because access to Arlington National Cemetery is currently limited to family members, Emily Domenech offered on Twitter to visit the graves of any loved ones that people were unable to visit today. She spent all day visiting memorials and posting photographs until she had to leave when the cemetery closed at 5PM.

So much sacrifice. We can never thank them enough.

https://twitter.com/ehdomenech/status/1264910621608415235

Thank you for this. I read every one she posted.