PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Tenderloin Question from a Non-Hoosier

Andrew Longman
05-21-09, 01:18 PM
Pork or Beef, what's the traditional IMS meal?

Don Quixote
05-21-09, 01:23 PM
pig-butt. What do I win?

Methanolandbrats
05-21-09, 01:26 PM
Pork or Beef, what's the traditional IMS meal? Worst track food anywhere. IMS food makes the hot dog stand at Martinsville look like a five star restaurant.

Napoleon
05-21-09, 01:49 PM
WTF, did I just stumble onto Track Forum? Andrew Longman, are you really Defender?

Tim
05-21-09, 01:58 PM
Whichever one Buddy Lazier prefers.

Methanolandbrats
05-21-09, 02:20 PM
Whichever one Buddy Lazier prefers.

That would be Gomer Tube Steak.

Andrew Longman
05-21-09, 02:28 PM
WTF, did I just stumble onto Track Forum? Andrew Longman, are you really Defender?

Naw, Trevor's favorite food on the planet is pork loin and we use just about any excuse to cook it. (I'm sure I do a better job than the track).

Anyway, I was thinking for the authentic Indy 500 experience (but with better food) perhaps I would start a loin in a brine tomorrow. :D

Elmo T
05-21-09, 02:45 PM
Worst track food anywhere.

Now that you mention it - I have absolutely no recollection of the food at IMS from our one visit (2001 USGP). Nothing. And we are all about food. We actually enjoy the food at M-O. But a big blank for IMS. :rolleyes:

We did enjoy dinner at St. Elmo and Mexican food at a local tiny Mexican place near the hotel downtown. It wasn't a chain - great food.

Napoleon
05-21-09, 02:45 PM
Anyway, I was thinking for the authentic Indy 500 experience . . . .

OK, I am going to have to exhibit some self control and not type descriptions of some of the things I would see in the "snake pit" back in the day when I use to attend the race and forsake making any suggestions that you round up some neighbors, mostly young nubile females and guys in biker garb, all of them preferably drunk, to help you replicate an "authentic Indy 500 experience".

Napoleon
05-21-09, 02:47 PM
I have absolutely no recollection of the food at IMS from our one visit (2001 USGP). Nothing. And we are all about food. We actually enjoy the food at M-O. But a big blank for IMS.

Exact same here. I don't recall anything about IMS.

Road America and Mid-Ohio easily had the best track food of any track I ever went to.

Methanolandbrats
05-21-09, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Elmo T;256021]Now that you mention it - I have absolutely no recollection of the food at IMS from our one visit (2001 USGP). Nothing. And we are all about food. We actually enjoy the food at M-O. But a big blank for IMS. :rolleyes:[QUOTE]

The menu featured chicken breasts boiled until they were white, tasteless and chewy. Corn boiled so long it stuck to your teeth like silicone sealer and to wash it down skunky Foster's oil cans that had to have been left in the sun for several years.

Elmo T
05-21-09, 03:56 PM
Naw, Trevor's favorite food on the planet is pork loin

I've tinkered with a recipe similar to this - and this one looks pretty good:

Bacon Wrapped Maple Brined Pork Loin (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bacon-Wrapped-Maple-Pork-Loin-233983)

G.
05-21-09, 04:26 PM
Naw, Trevor's favorite food on the planet is pork loin and we use just about any excuse to cook it. (I'm sure I do a better job than the track).

Anyway, I was thinking for the authentic Indy 500 experience (but with better food) perhaps I would start a loin in a brine tomorrow. :D

I am pretty sure they don't use the same cut of pork for tenderloins that you are expecting...

Must try Elmo recipe this weekend!

extramundane
05-21-09, 05:17 PM
IMS food makes the hot dog stand at Martinsville look like a five star restaurant.

I didn't think anything could top those hot-pink-in-the-middle-brown-on-the-outside hot dogs. :yuck:

oddlycalm
05-21-09, 05:25 PM
Never ate one myself AL but I've eyeballed plenty of them and it's a deep fryed breaded pork cutlet on a bun. You see them all over Indiana, Southern Illinois, Iowa, etc.

The IMS is missing a bet by not having a John Hughes signature version that is served in a dirty ashtray....[/weird science] :gomer:

oc

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/Davydd_2006/Breaded%20Pork%20Tenderloin%20Sandwiches/2008Indy500TrackTenderloin.jpg

oddlycalm
05-21-09, 05:32 PM
Worst track food anywhere. IMS food makes the hot dog stand at Martinsville look like a five star restaurant.

This little tidbit is for your very own personal self.....:gomer: :rofl:

IMS Food & Beverage getting into catering business (http://www.allbusiness.com/food-beverage/restaurants-food-service-caterings/10615873-1.html)

oc

dando
05-21-09, 05:35 PM
I've tinkered with a recipe similar to this - and this one looks pretty good:

Bacon Wrapped Maple Brined Pork Loin (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bacon-Wrapped-Maple-Pork-Loin-233983)

Dude, bacon thread yo. :)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
05-21-09, 05:55 PM
I didn't think anything could top those hot-pink-in-the-middle-brown-on-the-outside hot dogs. :yuck:

Don't ya wonder how they do that? Brown outside, progressing to a neutral gray and then a pink center..........:D

opinionated ow
05-21-09, 08:04 PM
Never ate one myself AL but I've eyeballed plenty of them and it's a deep fryed breaded pork cutlet on a bun. You see them all over Indiana, Southern Illinois, Iowa, etc.

The IMS is missing a bet by not having a John Hughes signature version that is served in a dirty ashtray....[/weird science] :gomer:

oc

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/Davydd_2006/Breaded%20Pork%20Tenderloin%20Sandwiches/2008Indy500TrackTenderloin.jpg

Looks somewhat strangely like a Pork Schnitzel on a burger bun?

extramundane
05-21-09, 08:12 PM
Don't ya wonder how they do that? Brown outside, progressing to a neutral gray and then a pink center..........:D

Considering they arrested the sheriff there for distributing meth & weed and running hos, I'd just chalked it up to small-town corruption. :D

stroker
05-22-09, 08:33 AM
Now that you mention it - I have absolutely no recollection of the food at IMS from our one visit (2001 USGP). Nothing. And we are all about food.

Damn, me too! Cuz I KNOW I ate something at the track...

Elmo T
05-22-09, 09:07 AM
Damn, me too! Cuz I KNOW I ate something at the track...

I am seeing a trend here. Maybe they sprinkle something on the food to make you forget about how bad it was? ;)

I remember the track, the race, the fine restroom facilities :yuck: , the shaky stairs down the back of the stands from our seats in the paddock penthouse area, the museum, etc - but not a clue about the food. :rofl:

G.
05-22-09, 09:26 AM
I am seeing a trend here. Maybe they sprinkle something on the food to make you forget about how bad it was? ;)

http://www.whydidigowrong.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-donald-sutherland.jpg

SteveH
05-22-09, 10:21 AM
I had a tenderloin at the last few USGPs. The ones at the track aren't all that bad, considering the conditions. Its a toss up for me between deep fried and grilled tenderloin sammiches. Its pretty easy to grill them at home. Slice a pork loin into half inch slices, hammer the bejeebus out of it, marinate it if you wish, slap it on the grill.

Regarding the deep fried version, its without a doubt my favorite deep fried sammich. :gomer: Accourse the competition there is pretty slim. :tony:

chop456
05-22-09, 03:48 PM
There used to be a place in Westmont, IL called Miro's Snack and Deli. They had a fried Tenderloin sandwich topped with a slab of breaded and deep-fried Mozzarella, lettuce, tomatoes and mayo, served on a steak bun.

That thing was the mufuggin' bomb. :cry:

Andrew Longman
05-22-09, 05:40 PM
I am pretty sure they don't use the same cut of pork for tenderloins that you are expecting...

Must try Elmo recipe this weekend!

Yup!

cart7
05-23-09, 07:10 PM
Dear God!

A tenderloin thread on Off Camber :eek:

:rofl:

dando
05-23-09, 07:11 PM
Dear God!

A tenderloin thread on Off Camber :eek:

:rofl:

Consider the source. NJtard. 'nuff said. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

pchall
05-23-09, 07:29 PM
Yup. Only a gomer could ruin a schnitzel like that. Pork butt has to be the cheapest cut on the planet.

Looks somewhat strangely like a Pork Schnitzel on a burger bun?

opinionated ow
05-23-09, 09:51 PM
Yup. Only a gomer could ruin a schnitzel like that. Pork butt has to be the cheapest cut on the planet.

Phew...I was thinking that something must of been lost in translation when it took a few days for someone to confirm my suspicions!

SteveH
05-25-09, 11:22 AM
Grilled pork loin last night. Sliced into half inch slices which were then hammered to about a quarter inch. Marinated in Sweet Baby Ray's grilling sauce before placing on the grill. Continued to brush the sauce while on the grill. Toasted buns with melted provolone cheese.

Call me a :gomer: if you will, but it was great mmm mmm mmm

Methanolandbrats
05-25-09, 11:26 AM
Grilled pork loin last night. Sliced into half inch slices which were then hammered to about a quarter inch. Marinated in Sweet Baby Ray's grilling sauce before placing on the grill. Continued to brush the sauce while on the grill. Toasted buns with melted provolone cheese.

Call me a :gomer: if you will, but it was great mmm mmm mmm You're a Gomer if you hammered them with a laptop :gomer:

SteveH
05-25-09, 03:35 PM
You're a Gomer if you hammered them with a laptop :gomer:

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

pchall
05-25-09, 11:05 PM
Here's an old recipe some might remember:

Pan Fried Crow -- Tenderloin Style

"So Good You'll Want To Bitch Slap Tony George"

Ingredients

2 eggs
lemon pepper seasoned bread crumbs or flour,
olive oil, butter or bacon grease

Preparation

Cut breast meat medallions from as many crows as required by your level of humiliation. Beat each medallion a with meat hammer (for tenderizing) until it is 1/4 inch thick. Ocassionally stop and beat yourself over the head just because. Dip medallions in beaten egg and then in seasoned bread crumbs or flour. Fry in olive oil and butter in medium hot skillet. Bacon grease can be substituted but can smoke more than a blown Offy. Leave inside a tad pink.

Sides

Serve with thirteen years of hope shattered by remorse and despair, an ear of corn roasted in husk, and a baked potato with plenty of sour cream and bitter garni.

Don Quixote
05-26-09, 10:40 AM

Great minds think alike. We did about the same thing, even the toasted buns and melted provolone. However, just to be a little more like wine and cheese street race elitists we maritated the meat in ponzu/sesame oil/garlic/ginger/grey poupon and topped the sandwiches with sauteed onions and peppers. Yum! :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
05-26-09, 11:12 AM
Just a culinary tip, if you buy decent meat to begin with, you don't have to beat the **** out of it before you cook it. :)

Don Quixote
05-26-09, 11:19 AM
Just a culinary tip, if you buy decent meat to begin with, you don't have to beat the **** out of it before you cook it. :) You just don't get it, do you? :p :gomer:

SteveH
05-26-09, 12:50 PM
Great minds think alike. We did about the same thing, even the toasted buns and melted provolone. However, just to be a little more like wine and cheese street race elitists we maritated the meat in ponzu/sesame oil/garlic/ginger/grey poupon and topped the sandwiches with sauteed onions and peppers. Yum! :gomer:

that does sound good :thumbup:

Hammering is all part of the experience.

Next time, no sauce or marinade. Just hammered and straight to the grill. Maybe not even any cheese. For this you really do want a good fresh cut of pork.

Methanolandbrats
05-26-09, 01:13 PM
You just don't get it, do you? :p :gomer::tony:

Michaelhatesfans
05-26-09, 03:50 PM
Just a culinary tip, if you buy decent meat to begin with, you don't have to beat the **** out of it before you cook it. :)

:laugh:

Do they make Tenderloin Helper?

oddlycalm
05-26-09, 04:09 PM
Do they make Tenderloin Helper?

Yup, his name is Earl. :tony:

oc

pchall
05-26-09, 04:20 PM
I like to cut my chops myself and keep them about a inch or inch and a quarter thick. Most of the time I use my version of Memphis style dry rub with lots of cumin added to the basic paprika/garlic/cayenne/black pepper recipes. My teriyaki marinade when I want a change.

SteveH
05-26-09, 04:39 PM
I like to cut my chops myself and keep them about a inch or inch and a quarter thick. Most of the time I use my version of Memphis style dry rub with lots of cumin added to the basic paprika/garlic/cayenne/black pepper recipes. My teriyaki marinade when I want a change.

Well now you're talking chops, that's different in a way. Thick and slow cooked. mmm mmm mmm

I need to eat some pig tonight. :)

Ankf00
05-26-09, 05:10 PM
Milanesa ftw.

Don Quixote
05-26-09, 05:15 PM
Milanesa ftw.

Is that what we folks call a chicken fried?

Ankf00
05-26-09, 06:14 PM
no. :thumdown:

argentine schnitzel, the argie-CFS, if you will...

pchall
05-26-09, 07:29 PM
I've only had three tenderloin sandwiches platters in my life. The first was at Indy and I thought it would be a unique and never to be repeated disaster. The next two times it was to give a friend from a different continent an interesting culinary experience at some small joint in Indiana.

I love real schnitzels and thick chops, though. :)

Well now you're talking chops, that's different in a way. Thick and slow cooked. mmm mmm mmm

I need to eat some pig tonight. :)

pchall
05-26-09, 07:34 PM
Is that what we folks call a chicken fried?

Milenesa. That's a beef schnitzel. Called a chicken fried steak in Arkansas and other places. Don't ask any questions about my time in Arkansas. It involved shotguns, a john boat, and way too much bourbon so the memories were irretrivably altered during their making.