PDA

View Full Version : Monaco Practice is tonight/(thurs AM)

JohnHKart
05-20-09, 01:10 PM
Time for my annual reminder- practice kicks off tomorrow Speed Thursday 8am EST/5am PST.

John

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 01:15 PM
Why do they take Friday off, does everyone in Monaco need a break from working so hard?:gomer:

Andrew Longman
05-20-09, 01:48 PM
Thanks

I'll be getting home tonight at 3 am. Five hours sleep ought to be enough and it will fit in nicely before my 11am con call :D

cameraman
05-20-09, 04:43 PM
Why do they take Friday off, does everyone in Monaco need a break from working so hard?:gomer:

Hotels and restaurants want the business. It means one more night in hotel stays from everyone who wants to see it all.

Thursday 7 AM to 6:30 PM
FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 SERIES - FREE PRACTICE SESSION
FORMULA ONE - FIRST FREE PRACTICE SESSION
GP2 - FREE PRACTICE SESSION
FORMULA ONE - SECOND FREE PRACTICE SESSION
GP2 - QUALIFYING SESSION
PORSCHE MOBIL 1 SUPERCUP - FREE PRACTICE SESSION

Friday is 7 AM to 1:30 PM
PORSCHE MOBILE 1 SUPERCUP - FIRST QUALIFYING SESSION
GP2 - FIRST RACE (45 LAPS OR 75 MINS)

Saturday is 6 AM to 5 PM
FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 SERIES - QUALIFYING SESSION (SERIE A)
FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 SERIES - QUALIFYING SESSION (SERIE B)
FORMULA ONE - THIRD FREE PRACTICE SESSION
FORMULA ONE - QUALIFYING SESSION
GP2 - SECOND RACE (25 LAPS OR 45 MINS)

Sunday is 7 AM to 5 PM
PORSCHE MOBILE 1 SUPERCUP - RACE (16 LAPS)
FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 SERIES - RACE (25 LAPS)
FORMULA ONE - DRIVERS TRACK PARADE
FORMULA ONE - GRAND PRIX (78 LAPS)

The Doctor
05-20-09, 07:08 PM
I think the original reason was that the race was normally run on the weekend of Ascension Day or something like that, which was a big national bank holiday and meant everything was closed on Friday. Now they just keep doing it because it's "tradition."

Insomniac
05-24-09, 12:03 PM
I've wondered this for a long time, but can anyone remember the last time a car actually overheated from something getting lodged in the radiator or idling? They mention it on TV almost every race, but I can't recall it happening for such a long time.

I think they could dedicate a whole segment to this week's RPM. I still didn't get how the gear box worked, but I wish I would've.

I can't delete the recording fast enough after Button wins. I wish they'd wait to let us hear him celebrate that he managed to not wreck again until after the top 8 have crossed the finish line.

Fastest Laps:
Australia: Rosberg (Button -0.314s 3rd)
Malaysia: Button +0.843s (31 of 56 laps run)
China: Barrichello (Button -0.954s 6th)
Bahrain: Trulli (Button -0.032s 3rd)
Spain: Barrichello (Button -0.137s 2nd)
Monaco: Massa (Button -0.036s 2nd)

Schumacher-esque? WTF was the Varsha (?) thinking? :yuck: Wrong timing his whole career?

Elmo T
05-12-10, 02:40 PM
Bumping for the annual reminder.

tllips
05-13-10, 10:56 AM
Is it me, or is Monaco two weeks early this year? I always thought it was Memorial Day Weekend. :confused:

Methanolandbrats
05-13-10, 10:59 AM
Is it me, or is Monaco two weeks early this year? I always thought it was Memorial Day Weekend. :confused:

Ya, cabs, Monaco and *****ox derby were all the same weekend.

Elmo T
05-13-10, 11:03 AM
Ya, cabs, Monaco and *****ox derby were all the same weekend.

Maybe they moved the date to accommodate the drivers that are eager to run both the GP and the IRL500? :tony:

SteveH
05-13-10, 11:09 AM

Was discussed by the Speed announce crew this morning. It roughly is 6 weeks following Easter, always the first race to be scheduled, then the calendar is built around Monaco.

More here (http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/27/fone10.asp)

tllips
05-13-10, 11:42 AM
Thanks!! :cool:

Insomniac
05-14-10, 02:58 PM

According to the NYTimes, it was 2 weeks ago:

The filming for the sequences involving the Rolls-Royce was supposed to have been done in Monaco last year, a couple of weeks before the Grand Prix there.

The filmmakers had been given permission by the government of Monaco to film on the race circuit, but Formula One’s chief executive, Bernie Ecclestone, overruled the decision, Mr. Armstrong said. “We did end up flying one of the Rolls-Royces over there, and we filmed it driving down the course.” Racecars that were also in the scene, zooming past in the opposite direction, were “computer-generated,” he added.

Most of the sequence involving the movie’s fictional “Grand Prix de Monaco Historique” (based on a real race that was just staged May 2, by the way) was filmed in the parking lot of Downey Studios — formerly a manufacturing plant where the original Space Shuttle was built, in Southern California.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/iron-man-2-and-the-fate-of-the-rolls-royce/?hp

extramundane
05-14-10, 03:05 PM
^^ The Monaco Historics were May 2.

Steve99
05-14-10, 07:53 PM
“We did end up flying one of the Rolls-Royces over there, and we filmed it driving down the course.” Racecars that were also in the scene, zooming past in the opposite direction, were “computer-generated,” he added.
Seeing the RR driving up-track during a race really bugged me, even though it was all make-believe.

BarillaGirl
05-15-10, 09:43 AM
Seeing the RR driving up-track during a race really bugged me, even though it was all make-believe.

I'm trying to imagine what it would look like for the F1 field to have to go uphill through the hairpin. There's an engine durability test! :eek:

cameraman
05-15-10, 02:23 PM
Webber is doing far better than I thought. First Button, now possibly Webber? Who would have ever thought?

chop456
05-15-10, 02:26 PM
Wrong thread. :gomer:

rosawendel
05-16-10, 08:23 AM
the architect in me is curious: what is that little building njust to the right of the tunnel entrance? doesn't look like it's part of the hotel... looks like a zaha hadid kinda thing, but more curvy...

Insomniac
05-16-10, 12:25 PM
^^ The Monaco Historics were May 2.

Thanks for the correction. The whole Bernie thing had me thinking it was the F1 race. I didn't know that they set up the course for a couple weeks.

dando
05-16-10, 12:44 PM
the architect in me is curious: what is that little building njust to the right of the tunnel entrance? doesn't look like it's part of the hotel... looks like a zaha hadid kinda thing, but more curvy...

Try Wikmapia. (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=43.7404295&lon=7.429204&z=17&l=0&m=b&search=monte%20carlo)

If it's the building I think you're referencing, I don't see it tagged.

-Kevin