Gnam
05-19-09, 06:33 PM
He didn't respect the blend line. He should get a drive thru penalty. :p

Wheel-Nut
05-20-09, 08:53 AM
WOW, lots of carnage on the first lap.

Elmo T
05-20-09, 09:52 AM
Surprising how easily the driver's door flew open - I'll assume the driver was belted. Had he been hit a second time... :saywhat:

That place is narrow. I'll guess the carnage continued.

Michaelhatesfans
05-20-09, 10:25 AM
That place is narrow. I'll guess the carnage continued.

That place was too narrow when the old F3000 cars ran there.

opinionated ow
05-20-09, 10:55 AM
That place was too narrow when the old F3000 cars ran there.

It was almost two narrow for Formula 3 cars...

Fio1
05-20-09, 10:43 PM
Crazy shunt! Too bad, because Franz Engstler was leading nicely ahead of all the factory boys. Not bad for a 47 year-old journeymen. :cool:
This track is stupid, but that's what makes it so great! It makes Monaco look like Talladega....

opinionated ow
05-20-09, 10:57 PM
Crazy shunt! Too bad, because Franz Engstler was leading nicely ahead of all the factory boys. Not bad for a 47 year-old journeymen. :cool:
This track is stupid, but that's what makes it so great! It makes Monaco look like Talladega....

I like Pau...its tight and its ludicrous for a racetrack, but the proximity of the crowd and the buzz around the place is amazing.

emjaya
05-21-09, 07:35 AM
I like Pau...its tight and its ludicrous for a racetrack, but the proximity of the crowd and the buzz around the place is amazing.

They should run the old circuit. :gomer:

Napoleon
05-21-09, 08:20 AM
I have never even heard of this track.

opinionated ow
05-21-09, 09:25 AM
I have never even heard of this track.

Woah...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_de_Pau

Michaelhatesfans
05-21-09, 04:20 PM
Holy crap! I wouldn't have posted this if I hadn't seen the guy walk away. And I had to watch it about five times to convince myself that he did...
Keep an eye on the driver in the red fire suit. And before you curse at me for posting it, he really does walk away....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024C8jGujAs

Gnam
05-21-09, 05:52 PM
^ crazy. Do you still race after that? I think he used up his lifetime supply of luck.

Someone needs to recommend this track to the IRL. It's in a foreign country, and it has right turns, but it would wreck 'em just as good as any 'Murican oval... the Grand Prix of POW! :tony:

The Doctor
05-21-09, 10:51 PM
Curiosity piqued by the video, so I went and looked it up on the WTCC website and found the stewards report. Safety car driver at fault:

The incident that involved the safety car and Franz Engstler’s BMW on the second lap of Pau’s Race 2 was investigated by the panel of the Stewards.
The investigation ascertained that, although the FIA Race Director had started the safety car procedure alerting the marshals for waving the yellow flags and showing the SC boards, the safety car driver had not been given the go. He left the pit lane on his own, steering in the middle of the track instead of using the acceleration lane.
The data logged by the ECU of Engstler’s BMW showed that he actually slowed down and braked as he saw the yellow flags and SC boards on the main straight. However, the German driver – who was leading the race from the eventual winner Alain Menu – could not avoid the crash when came out of Turn 1 and found the safety car cutting across.
The Stewards, taking into account the gravity of the facts, decided to forward their report to the FFSA (French sporting authority), recommending to take appropriate sanctions against Philippe Cholet and Jean-Pierre Colas who were in charge for the safety car and any other responsible official.