PDA

View Full Version : Winningest Sports Town

Napoleon
05-18-09, 03:54 PM
Indy so says the Toronto Star, with Cincy being last (and I can see that Cleveland is 34th, before anyone points it out).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/635370

Insomniac
05-18-09, 08:00 PM
That list is stupid.

2001 New England Patriots
2003 New England Patriots
2004 New England Patriots
2004 Boston Red Sox
2007 Boston Red Sox
2008 Boston Celtics

Regular season winning percentage? What a joke.

(It's merely coincidental I'm a Boston fan. ;))

WickerBill
05-19-09, 08:05 AM
As an Indianapolis person who hates the Pats and Celtics (but my favorite baseball team is the Red Sox, go figure) -- I was thinking the same thing as Insomniac.... it has to be Boston #1...

dando
05-19-09, 09:20 AM
The problem with comparing Boston to Indy is that there are four major league sports teams in Boston vs. two in Indy. The Bruins and Celtics sucked biggie time just a few years ago. Peeps also seem to forget that the Celts had the worst record in the NBA prior to winning the title last year (they also only had two playoff appearances before last year since '92 when Larry the Legend retired).

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-19-09, 09:30 AM
This won't be all that surprising because I'm a Broncos fan before a Colts fan, but I think Indy is never gonna ascend to that kind of height until the Pacers win a title. This is a basketball state, this is a team that we nurtured from birth (not a stolen team from Baltimore), and for all the Colts madness around 2006, a Pacers title would mean more to the city and state.

Of course, they have a long way to go -- but there is a lot of quiet optimism about the Pacers these days, even though they're currently a sub-.500 team. When the Colts were sub-.500, nobody cared whatsoever about them. Bandwagoners. You may disagree with me, but I contend this will always be a basketball town.

dando
05-19-09, 09:56 AM
This won't be all that surprising because I'm a Broncos fan before a Colts fan, but I think Indy is never gonna ascend to that kind of height until the Pacers win a title. This is a basketball state, this is a team that we nurtured from birth (not a stolen team from Baltimore), and for all the Colts madness around 2006, a Pacers title would mean more to the city and state.

Of course, they have a long way to go -- but there is a lot of quiet optimism about the Pacers these days, even though they're currently a sub-.500 team. When the Colts were sub-.500, nobody cared whatsoever about them. Bandwagoners. You may disagree with me, but I contend this will always be a basketball town.

No doubt. Indyanna is a hoops state first and foremost. Hoosiers ain't just a movie, yo.

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-19-09, 02:48 PM
The problem with comparing Boston to Indy is that there are four major league sports teams in Boston vs. two in Indy. The Bruins and Celtics sucked biggie time just a few years ago. Peeps also seem to forget that the Celts had the worst record in the NBA prior to winning the title last year (they also only had two playoff appearances before last year since '92 when Larry the Legend retired).

-Kevin

I'm not even trying to compare them. I just think the methodology was stupid. Winning percentage doesn't make you the best. Peyton Manning knows it and 18-1 knows it. There is no fan or player who would trade more wins in the regular season for a championship. A 7-9, divison winner, laughing stock and poster team for poor playoff seeding getting the Lombardi >> 16-0.

oddlycalm
05-19-09, 04:08 PM
Clearly none of you understand what Vancouver means....:gomer: :laugh:

oc

dando
05-19-09, 04:18 PM
I'm not even trying to compare them. I just think the methodology was stupid. Winning percentage doesn't make you the best. Peyton Manning knows it and 18-1 knows it. There is no fan or player who would trade more wins in the regular season for a championship. A 7-9, divison winner, laughing stock and poster team for poor playoff seeding getting the Lombardi >> 16-0.

Unless you're from oHIo, where 2nd place means everything. :gomer: :cry:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-19-09, 06:01 PM
Winning percentage is nothing and not the way to factor in that cities have different numbers of sports teams. Championships, not winning percentage is what matters. As Braves or Vikings or Bills fans. And over what period of time? Those St Louis Brown fans are still going strong

This topic is in serious need for some regression analysis to factor in the number of sports teams but NYC is at the top with 51 Championships. Indianapolis with one didn't even make the list. But Detroit with 21 championships and only three teams checking with a ratio of 70% :eek:

http://www.nuttyaboutsports.com/cities-of-champions.shtml

Ankf00
05-19-09, 06:21 PM
NYG 7 titles
NYY 26 titles
NYR == bag of dicks

:D

TKGAngel
05-19-09, 07:33 PM
Buffalo at 29 with a football team that has a .419 winning percentage and a hockey team with a .565 winning percentage? The heck?!

I'm kind of surprised about Vancouver's ranking. I didn't think the 'Nucks, Grizzlies and whatever their CFL team is were that good.

Ankf00
05-19-09, 07:53 PM
The heck?!

noooooo nonononono.

it's [eric]THE F***?![/cartman]

:)

Indy
05-20-09, 10:35 PM
No doubt. Indyanna is a hoops state first and foremost. Hoosiers ain't just a movie, yo.

-Kevin

I disagree. Basketball has declined. Especially pro basketball. Nobody cares about the Pacers any more. They get more coverage with their nightclub shootings than with their play. Many Dads like myself steer their kids away from basketball and its thug culture. Frankly I wish the Pacers would move away. I would gladly trade them for any MLB team (although we love the Indians anyway).

So there. :D