PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland 2010 road AND oval

G.
05-18-09, 01:38 PM
Miller at Sped TB (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-miller-says-cleveland-considering-combo-oval-road-course-event/indycar-miller-says-cleveland-considering-combo-oval-road-course-event)

INDYCAR: Miller Says Cleveland Considering Combo Oval/Road Course Event!
Written by: Robin Miller
05/17/2009 - 08:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN

How about an IndyCar doubleheader on an oval and a road course -- on the same weekend at the SAME TRACK?

That's an idea currently being kicked around between promoter/car owner Mike Lanigan, IndyCar's John Lewis and the folks at Cleveland's Burke Lafefront Airport.
It's been run at night, during the day, and now, possibly, both night and day in the same weekend, says Robin Miller. Brilliant. (LAT) » More Photos

Lewis. the vice president of marketing and league development, was looking at putting Cleveland on the 2010 schedule as an oval instead of its traditional road course configuration. Lanigan wanted to stay with the old airport circuit that produced great racing in CART for three decades and Lewis is trying to wean the IRL off all the cookie-cutter 1.5-mile ovals.

So John Griffin, vice president of public relations for IndyCar, tossed in an idea: why not run the oval on Friday night, come back Saturday on the road course with an Indy Lights show, IndyCar qualifying and a fireworks show. Then have a road race on Sunday afternoon.

I have to admit, this is a bit interesting.

Napoleon
05-18-09, 02:12 PM
I am sure the FAA is going to love that idea.

Methanolandbrats
05-18-09, 02:20 PM
Why not throw in a figure eight race and call it the WGAF Triple Crown.

Napoleon
05-18-09, 02:24 PM
Why not throw in a figure eight race . . . .

Now that would be a suggestion I would have expected from Railbird, if he was around. Well that and he may have also suggested one of those motorcycle riders in a barrel as a sideshow.

Sean Malone
05-18-09, 02:24 PM
The IRL just needs unicycle riders, elephants, trapeze artists and jugglers. They already have enough clowns.

devilmaster
05-18-09, 02:29 PM
Holy hell. Its basically throw s**t at a wall and see what sticks?

Teams that have money will bring both cars and risk wrecking both? Low budget teams might have to swap parts, and what happens if one team can't make the sunday grid cause they didn't have enough parts/money/time to get the 2nd car ready?

Dumb idea from a dumb bunch of idiots.

Wheel-Nut
05-18-09, 02:38 PM
Where's the oval?

Gnam
05-18-09, 03:19 PM
They could install movable barriers, so some laps are on the oval and some are on the road course.

or maybe a relay, with one teammate on each track. They could use tenderloins for batons. :gomer:

rosawendel
05-18-09, 03:32 PM
"meh", i say. for i will say "meh".
is bud stanner involved?

extramundane
05-18-09, 03:47 PM
How about a Red Bull Dallara Flugtag into the lake?

Wheel-Nut
05-18-09, 04:19 PM
The IRL just needs unicycle riders, elephants, trapeze artists and jugglers. They already have enough clowns.

Ringling Bros. could be the promoter.

stroker
05-18-09, 04:35 PM
No, no, no, no, no....

Flugtag? That's a GREAT idea! See, you build this giant ramp aiming out to the middle of the lake, see, and then you put a speed trap on the ramp to see who's going fastest as they leave the ramp in their Dallara. That counts for points. Then you get an innernational group of judges with little scorecards to hold up and see who can "stick" the landing with the smallest splash!

Instant 1.0 TV!!!! It's the solution!

Wheel-Nut
05-18-09, 04:37 PM
You're going to need a bigger lake, the Dallara can fly forever!!

Napoleon
05-18-09, 04:46 PM
No, no, no, no, no....

Flugtag? That's a GREAT idea! See, you build this giant ramp aiming out to the middle of the lake, see, and then you put a speed trap on the ramp to see who's going fastest as they leave the ramp in their Dallara. That counts for points. Then you get an inner national group of judges with little scorecards to hold up and see who can "stick" the landing with the smallest splash!

Instant 1.0 TV!!!! It's the solution!

And just to add to the reality tv aspect, they should stock the lake with piranha.

Elmo T
05-18-09, 05:02 PM
Oval & Road Racing?

Nice longggg straight runways and no talk of Indycar drag racing? They've got way more than a 1/4 mile (or whatever the NHRA is using these days).

oddlycalm
05-18-09, 05:49 PM
Crapwagons on a fritter flat oval that is rougher than a cob with no walls to stop them could be even funnier than a launch ramp into the lake. Like greased pigs trying to ride the back of an elephant traveling at 175mph... :gomer:

oc

Trevor Longman
05-18-09, 06:04 PM
I'm not quite sure what you guys are complaining about. I personally think its a great idea. After 2 years without a race I think that this really bring the buzz back to a city that may have forgotten about it. I would actually entertain the idea of lobbying with my dad to take me there. I really miss that city and would love to go back after 4 years of going to the Champ Car race. But then again, if I'm falling in love with a gritty place like Cleveland, maybe my dad needs to take me some classier places. :p

Insomniac
05-18-09, 07:53 PM
Pretty sad what counts as brainstorming now. I suppose it's better than oval only, but how long before they choose one or the other (and it ends up being the oval)?

TKGAngel
05-18-09, 08:11 PM
You're going to need a bigger lake, the Dallara can fly forever!!

First one to hit Canuckistan wins, then.

I can't figure out the efficiencies in having both a road and oval course in the same weekend on the same track. Does not compute.

Methanolandbrats
05-18-09, 11:32 PM
The Cleveland Vision drives home how stupid the ****ers who run the IRL are. It's not the tracks, it's the cars. You could ship 40 of those *****oxes to Spa or Suzuka and they would still be ugly and slow. Just burn the whole goddamn thing to the ground and start over.

Elmo T
05-19-09, 06:24 AM
It's not the tracks, it's the cars.

I thought it was the lack of American drivers. :tony:

Methanolandbrats
05-19-09, 07:15 AM
I thought it was the lack of American drivers. :tony: And cable TV. :tony:

pchall
05-19-09, 07:50 AM
The Wall of Death act? Isn't that the major premise behind the IRL?

Now that would be a suggestion I would have expected from Railbird, if he was around. Well that and he may have also suggested one of those motorcycle riders in a barrel as a sideshow.

Andrew Longman
05-19-09, 02:45 PM
I'd rather see a double header roadcourse, maybe with different layouts. I'm all for ovals, but an oval on a flat airport, especially as proposed in the past in Cleveland is just a road course with the right turns taken out.

And Trev I'll take you back to gritty Cleveland for steak and cole slaw sandwiches, but Sebring is pretty gritty too in a different way.

Wheel-Nut
05-19-09, 02:51 PM
cole slaw sandwiches? You Yankees eat some strange foods. :p

dando
05-19-09, 03:36 PM

That's actually a Carolina thing. Slaw on pulled pork, yo. Not my preference, but good eats none the less. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Napoleon
05-19-09, 03:39 PM
I'd rather see a double header roadcourse, maybe with different layouts.

Maybe just run it in reverse. You would have to move where the stalls are in the pits from one side to the other, but on a temporary circuit that would be easy.

Andrew Longman
05-19-09, 05:44 PM

There is a bar in the Flats in Cleveland I took Trev to our first year in Cleveland. Pretty much a dump his mother would not approve him being in when he was eight - or 28.

We ordered ribeye sandwiches which came with French Fries and cole slaw stuff in the bun. We both thought it rather odd. It still didn't in a vegetable going down his neck. But we figured it must be a Cleveland thing.

After all they eat chile on pasta in Cinnci. :gomer:

Napoleon
05-20-09, 08:30 AM
There is a bar in the Flats in Cleveland I took Trev to our first year in Cleveland. . . . .

We ordered ribeye sandwiches which came with French Fries and cole slaw stuff in the bun. . . . But we figured it must be a Cleveland thing.

You are referring to this. The flats location, which was on the west bank, is gone (and in fact the nearly the entire east bank entertainment district has been flattened for redevelopment). THey now have a bunch of locations.

http://www.paninisgrill.com/

I recall at the time the very first one of them opened in town that someone had told me that there was a place in Pittsburgh in some bar district that was famous for that exact type of sandwich and that it was a rip-off from them. I would guess from a visit I made to Pitt. last fall that it is either in South Side or The Strip District.

Well after typing the above I thought I would see what Google had to say and below is the place, which is in Pittsburgh’s Strip District. I got several recipe hits that call that type of sandwich “Pittsburgh Style”. Wiki says the place opened in 1933 and two fun facts, the guy who opened it was from Cleveland and when Barak Obama last appeared on Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show (via video link from Pitts during the Pa primary) Stewart right at the end recommends that Obama go and get one of those sandwiches.

http://www.primantibros.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primanti_Brothers_Restaurant

extramundane
05-20-09, 08:36 AM
http://www.primantibros.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primanti_Brothers_Restaurant

That place is a great hangover helper. Just walking in the door probably takes 5 years off your life.

Gary
05-20-09, 09:49 AM
I'd rather see a double header roadcourse, maybe with different layouts. I'm all for ovals, but an oval on a flat airport, especially as proposed in the past in Cleveland is just a road course with the right turns taken out.

Agreed. Since they would have to lift for the corners and use the brakes, how can it be a proper IRL oval?

Insomniac
05-20-09, 10:23 AM
Maybe just run it in reverse. You would have to move where the stalls are in the pits from one side to the other, but on a temporary circuit that would be easy.

Qualifying/Practice would be a problem. But why do they have to move the pits? I thought the current IRL cars could fuel on either side. If so, they just need to move the tires.

Insomniac
05-20-09, 10:26 AM
I'm all for ovals, but an oval on a flat airport, especially as proposed in the past in Cleveland is just a road course with the right turns taken out.

And less walls. On 3 sides, they'd spin out to no man's land. Which is not good when you think about them trying to return to the course under green.

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 10:30 AM
Put a couple jumps on the course, water down part of the track, use clowns in barrels to mark the apex, buy a lot of monkeys to run through the crowd throwing free bags of peanuts to the fans, paint the racing line on the course with bright orange paint so it's easier to follow for the TV audience, at half distance stop the race on the front straight and have all the drivers get out and throw free autographed t-shirts into the crowd...........really, WGAF, why are you people even discussing this crap. It's OVER, American Open Wheel is DEAD.

Andrew Longman
05-20-09, 10:40 AM
...But why do they have to move the pits? I thought the current IRL cars could fuel on either side. If so, they just need to move the tires.

Reconfiguring the fuel tanks overnight would likely be a pain. But perhaps moving the pits would be also.

Don Quixote
05-20-09, 10:47 AM
M&B, you make a good point. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
05-20-09, 10:49 AM
You are referring to this. The flats location, which was on the west bank, is gone (and in fact the nearly the entire east bank entertainment district has been flattened for redevelopment). THey now have a bunch of locations.

That's it. The one we went to was on the east side though (the side of the river closest to the airport) and it was there in 05 when we last went.

But it seemed everytime we went less and less was open in the flats. It seems to be a very failed redevelopment effort. And I understand it was a pretty well functioning lower middle class neighborhood before they moved everyone out to build an "entertainment district"

Good sandwich though. And my daughter, who never went to Cleveland with us but heard about the sandwiches, now always puts fried in her burgers. :)

Napoleon
05-20-09, 11:18 AM
Reconfiguring the fuel tanks overnight would likely be a pain. But perhaps moving the pits would be also.

I bet not as bad as reconfiguring the pits, which would simply be moving the jersey wall from one side to the other (or putting it on both sides since the pits are so wide).

Does any part of the tank reconfiguration involve parts that are only for oval set up (like body work)? If so and if you were reversing the road course which is what necessitates the change you may have not choice on reconfiguring the pits.

Everything you would have recalled from the east side of the flats is gone to be replaced with a $1/2B mixed use development that is on hold with the economy the way it is.

http://www.flatseast.com/documents/street-level-master-plan.pdf

SteveH
05-20-09, 11:25 AM
Put a couple jumps on the course, water down part of the track, use clowns in barrels to mark the apex, buy a lot of monkeys to run through the crowd throwing free bags of peanuts to the fans, paint the racing line on the course with bright orange paint so it's easier to follow for the TV audience, at half distance stop the race on the front straight and have all the drivers get out and throw free autographed t-shirts into the crowd...........really, WGAF, why are you people even discussing this crap. It's OVER, American Open Wheel is DEAD.

needs more sippy hole

http://www.swampbuggy.com/UserFiles/Image/images/track1.jpg

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 11:35 AM
needs more sippy hole

http://www.swampbuggy.com/UserFiles/Image/images/track1.jpg

Excellent idea! If they put skinny three foot tall tires on those sleds and ran em through the hole, I'd buy a ticket.

TKGAngel
05-20-09, 12:19 PM
And less walls. On 3 sides, they'd spin out to no man's land. Which is not good when you think about them trying to return to the course under green.

There'd be carnage galore. Which I think fits in with the angle that Versus is trying to promote by featuring the nasty wrecks in their ads. I'd be quite happy if I never again saw the ad with the Kenny Brack wreck in it.

As for Cleveland restaurants, I loved Fat Fish Blue. Great atmosphere and yummy pulled pork.

Michaelhatesfans
05-20-09, 12:45 PM
M&B, you make a good point. :laugh:

He usually does. But I don't think that a lot of people get it, because he's so subtle.

:laugh:

Al Czervik
05-20-09, 01:05 PM

After I win the Powerball and buy the lot of it, I'll fix AOW.

G.
05-20-09, 01:25 PM
After I win the Powerball and buy the lot of it, I'll fix AOW.
Hire M&B as the monkey wrangler. He's got the demeanor for it. :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 01:30 PM
Hire M&B as the monkey wrangler. He's got the demeanor for it. :laugh:

No monkey wrangling for me, those things can kick anyone's ass at anytime.

pchall
05-20-09, 02:38 PM
Cincinnati chili, isn't. The so-called "chili" is basically ground beef boiled to death and mixed with tomato sauce. Spicing includes some chili powder, cumin, allspice, cayenne, Woschestershire sauce, ground baker's chocolate, and cinnamon. Heaven forbid it should even taste like a meaty chili. Maybe they serve it over pasta because there in nothing solid in the "chili" --- no beans or carrots or mushrooms or hot peppers, let a lone a chunk of beef or chicken.

•If want to go wild you get a 3-Way with grated cheddar over the meat sauce and pasta.

•If you are about to enter a belching contest you get the 4-Way with raw diced onions.

•If you want to impress your friends during a fart lighting contest you order the 5-Way with the beans.

Oh, don't forget the oyster crackers. All the palm oil in them eventually will give you a heart attack and a chance to impress the cardiologist with all clotting in your arteries.

I bet Devilmaster is driving down I-75 by now to get a couple of quart pails at Skyline's. ;)

After all they eat chile on pasta in Cinnci. :gomer:

Napoleon
05-20-09, 03:19 PM
I bet Devilmaster is driving down I-75 by now to get a couple of quart pails at Skyline's. ;)

There is actually a Skyline Chili just a mile or so from where I work in Cleveland's eastern burbs, believe it or not.

oddlycalm
05-20-09, 03:24 PM
order the 5-Way with the beans.

And the 6-way is where they put the roll of Rolaids right in the chili for you...:D In Cincitucky they tell you it's "Greek chili" but I've been to Greece and never saw anything like that....

oc

oddlycalm
05-20-09, 03:26 PM
It's OVER, American Open Wheel is DEAD.
True, but it hasn't been given a decent burial. The corpse is still laying out in the front yard where it's being molested by rodents...:tony:

oc

pchall
05-20-09, 03:41 PM
:rofl: Skyline also has a "Greek" salad on their menu that I have never seen anywhere along the Mediterranean coasts I've traveled. I think it's Greek because in addition to the usual rabbit food they sprinkle crumbled feta on it and include one kalamata olive, some extra mild sliced pepperoncinis and use some kind off homebrewed oil and vinegar "Greek" dressing.

And the 6-way is where they put the roll of Rolaids right in the chili for you...:D In Cincitucky they tell you it's "Greek chili" but I've been to Greece and never saw anything like that....

oc

devilmaster
05-20-09, 04:13 PM

Why I oughtta..... :flame: ;)

Actually, (just to brag, just a little ;) ) the chili recipe I posted here in the chili thread (go fig) is one of my best sellers at the restaurant.... including one amazingly beautiful businesswoman who usually comes in and grabs it about once a week.

I'm kinda tempted to see if she can keep me warm on those cold winter nights after a bowl of my chili.... :eek:

pchall
05-20-09, 04:36 PM
I was going to suggest you put yourself as the special on a copy of the menu for her. :)

including one amazingly beautiful businesswoman who usually comes in and grabs it about once a week.

I'm kinda tempted to see if she can keep me warm on those cold winter nights after a bowl of my chili.... :eek:

Napoleon
05-20-09, 04:50 PM
. . . is one of my best sellers at the restaurant....

Do you own/work at a restaurant? I thought you worked for Ford in Windsor and was a part time city counsel person on the side.

Fio1
05-20-09, 10:45 PM
They should make it like the old Monza track, where you ran the road course one lap and oval the next. Watching the drivers get confused on which config to go next would be the fun part of the race.

devilmaster
05-21-09, 08:26 PM
Do you own/work at a restaurant? I thought you worked for Ford in Windsor and was a part time city counsel person on the side.

Worked at chryslers and was a school board trustee on the side.... Life changes, and so does the work.... I now own a little restaurant called Biscuits & Gravy Southern Bistro, and manage the pizzeria next door for a couple friends.... so running two restaurants, I have no life. (not that I did before, but thats another story ;) )

Long days but I enjoy the challenge....

Gnam
05-21-09, 08:36 PM
...including one amazingly beautiful businesswoman who usually comes in and grabs it about once a week.
:too easy:

I'm kinda tempted to see if she can keep me warm on those cold winter nights after a bowl of my chili...
electric blanket > dutchoven :p

Does she know what Indy means? :tony:

devilmaster
05-21-09, 08:50 PM
Does she know what Indy means? :tony:

I could always serve up a pork tenderloin for lunch and see if she drools.... ;)

stroker
05-22-09, 08:35 AM
including one amazingly beautiful businesswoman who usually comes in and grabs it about once a week.

This claim is worthless without pictures... Give her a copy of the link and she'll let you take a snapshot.

:)

Napoleon
05-22-09, 09:46 AM
I now own a little restaurant called Biscuits & Gravy Southern Bistro, ...

In Windsor? If I make a trip I had always thought of, doing a grand tour circling of the lake to see what Cunckistan has on the other side (Port Stanley and London, which I can pick up on the radio but because of the lake it would be like driving to Chicago) I am sure I would cross the border at Windor and will stop for a meal.

Methanolandbrats
05-22-09, 09:49 AM
In Windsor? If I make a trip I had always thought of, doing a grand tour circling of the lake to see what Cunckistan has on the other side (Port Stanley and London, which I can pick up on the radio but because of the lake it would be like driving to Chicago) I am sure I would cross the border at Windor and will stop for a meal. Be sure to stop in Sudbury and do some landscape photography :D

Michaelhatesfans
05-23-09, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=devilmaster;255955I'm kinda tempted to see if she can keep me warm on those cold winter nights after a bowl of my chili.... :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes. Babes love farting contests.:thumbup:

stroker
05-23-09, 12:26 PM
Yes. Babes love farting contests.:thumbup:

Did you see South Park last week? Episode "Eat, Pray, Queef"

Unbelievable.

dando
05-23-09, 12:57 PM
Did you see South Park last week? Episode "Eat, Pray, Queef"

Unbelievable.

southparkstudios.com :)

-Kevin

Napoleon
05-29-09, 11:33 AM
Oh my God, they are actually serious about this proposal. I think I am going to hurl.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/05/start_your_engines_promoters_a.html

Sean Malone
05-29-09, 12:40 PM
Oh my God, they are actually serious about this proposal. I think I am going to hurl.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/05/start_your_engines_promoters_a.html

Tony is taking a more 'hands on' role with the IRL. :tony:

Methanolandbrats
05-29-09, 01:16 PM
A bumpy assed temporary oval should make for eggciting side by side racing :gomer:

NismoZ
05-29-09, 01:47 PM
No walls, though. They can spin forEVER!:gomer:

oddlycalm
05-29-09, 02:49 PM
Needs more sippy hole

extramundane
05-29-09, 03:51 PM
Needs more sippy hole

Isn't that what the lake is for?