PDA

View Full Version : GM Dealer Closing List

Napoleon
05-15-09, 12:23 PM
Allegedly GM is holding a conference call right now and indicated they will not release a master list of what dealers will be terminated, but for well over an hour now I have seen a bunch of local stories on what local dealerships are closing. The NY Times even has a request to dealers to e-mail them.

I assume an aggregate list will show up on one of these two sites or the NY Times site at some point today.

http://news.google.com/news/story?hl=en&q=gm+dealership+closing+list&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dsU5DyS-efE-hVM&ei=uYgNSpjpEMmMtgfQluGUCA&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/15/gm-dealer-closing-list-se_n_203860.html

TKGAngel
05-15-09, 12:41 PM
The NY Times even has a request to dealers to e-mail them.

According to one of our local dealers who is on the GM Dealer Council (and genuflect when you say that), GM is probably not going to be releasing the list of dealerships that are closing. He claims that this is a matter between the dealers and GM, and it's up to the dealer to release the info. This is apparently a "more humane" way of doing things than what Chrysler did yesterday.

Take that with a grain of salt, since he claims that none of the 27 Chevy dealers in the Buffalo area are going to close. I know we're a strong GM area, but 27 dealers in one area is too freaking many.

JohnHKart
05-15-09, 12:41 PM
I'm getting a headache stressing out over this. A good friend is a service manager at a GM dealership. Feel terrible for him. With so many dealers in So Cal I just don't have a good feeling for his future.

Napoleon
05-15-09, 01:09 PM
This is apparently a "more humane" way of doing things than what Chrysler did yesterday.

For whatever it is worth I will defend what Chrysler did. They are in bankruptcy and have to file the list in the Clerk of Court records which are nearly always public, except in extraordinary circumstances. So they had no choice.

GM though doesn't have that constraint.

Sean Malone
05-15-09, 01:13 PM
For whatever it is worth I will defend what Chrysler did. They are in bankruptcy and have to file the list in the Clerk of Court records which are nearly always public, except in extraordinary circumstances. So they had no choice.

I read that some were told in advance of yesterdays list. I also read that the majority of the dealers have subsequent franchises such as Mitsu, Nissan etc so it doesn't necessarily mean boarding up doors for all.

TKGAngel
05-15-09, 01:19 PM

I agree that Chrysler did the right thing in releasing the list. It allows the media to accurately report how a particular community is going to be affected and keeps speculation and rumors to a minimum.

nrc
05-15-09, 07:55 PM
Chrysler really didn't have much choice. Since they're going through Bankruptcy the documents were public record. GM can handle it a little bit differently since they're still treading water.

Cam
05-15-09, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification Mr Wilke. :p

cart7
05-21-09, 04:09 AM
I suspect the days of the rural New car dealer are just about over.

oddlycalm
05-21-09, 01:12 PM
I suspect the days of the rural New car dealer are just about over.

That's certainly the way it's looking in the Western states. Some of the figures released by Chrysler showed that many of the rural dealers do more than 50% of their business volume in used vehicles.

oc

JohnHKart
05-21-09, 06:59 PM
My friend's dealership got the letter. He strangely didn't seem that bummed out and apparently the business has a number of options they are working on.

datachicane
05-21-09, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification Mr Wilke. :p

:gomer:
Of course, one of them is a real actual degree-packin' bizness attorney, while the other will change the oil in your snowmobile...

nrc
05-27-09, 09:48 AM
Looks like the mothership is ready to go under. I wonder if the dealership closings will expand when that happens?

Methanolandbrats
05-27-09, 10:40 AM
Looks like the mothership is ready to go under. I wonder if the dealership closings will expand when that happens?

I wonder if I can get a new Vette on the cheap? :gomer:

Napoleon
05-27-09, 11:50 AM

I doubt so. Many people figured weeks ago they were going to file and I even mentioned to a friend that I was willing to bet that within 3 months all of those on the list would no longer be GM dealers since they were bound to be terminated in a filing that was almost certain to happen.

nrc
05-27-09, 02:28 PM
I wonder if I can get a new Vette on the cheap? :gomer:
Not sure about that yet, but Sean should be able to get his Crossfire cheap pretty soon. :D

Don Quixote
05-27-09, 02:47 PM
I wonder if I can get a new Vette on the cheap? :gomer: Just keep in mind that your service contract will be with the US Govt. :yuck: :gomer:

dando
05-27-09, 03:00 PM
Just keep in mind that your service contract will be with the US Govt. :yuck: :gomer:

The new Mr. Goodwrench:

http://www.smokeysoffice.com/Entertain/MASH/MashPhoto/MiscCast/Rizzo2.jpg

:gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
05-27-09, 03:02 PM
Just keep in mind that your service contract will be with the US Govt. :yuck: :gomer: **** the service contract, I have a lift and kwality tools :gomer:

Sean Malone
05-27-09, 03:24 PM
Not sure about that yet, but Sean should be able to get his Crossfire cheap pretty soon. :D

I've been trying to talk my wife into either a Crossfire or the automatic hardtop convertible Sebring she likes. She's worried there won't be parts. :) I told her they would just bolt some Fiat parts on it. The ads in the papers have unbelievable prices on all Chrysler models. 15K for a fully loaded 300 V6 (not hemi), 18K for full size 4 door RAM 1500 etc. 4 years ago I was looking at four door 1500's for 38k!!!

I was holding out for the 200C hybrid. The car Chrysler should have made 5 years ago... DOH!

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4008/200cconcept.jpg

nrc
05-27-09, 03:37 PM
I've been trying to talk my wife into either a Crossfire or the automatic hardtop convertible Sebring she likes.

Sebring? Dood, Mercedes did a lot of bad things to Chrysler but I'm pretty sure they have only themselves to blame for the Sebring.

Napoleon
07-07-09, 04:22 PM
I doubt so. Many people figured weeks ago they were going to file and I even mentioned to a friend that I was willing to bet that within 3 months all of those on the list would no longer be GM dealers since they were bound to be terminated in a filing that was almost certain to happen.

Well I was only partially right. GM filed today to terminate those dealers that didn't accept the voluntary termination.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090707/bs_nm/us_gm_dealers

pchall
07-08-09, 09:16 AM
In the local snapper wrapper there was a piece about GM adding production and jobs at a plant in SW Indiana. They make things like the four door Silverado/Sierra crew cab there. Not exactly the product GM really needs going forward, is it?

Indy
07-08-09, 11:01 AM
I think you have it a bit wrong. Toyota is reinvesting in its Southern Indiana plant to build SUV's, and GM is reinvesting in its Ft. Wayne plant (NE Indiana) to build trucks. In both cases the investments represent realignments aimed at streamlining the overall structure of their assembly operations.

It's not like people are going to stop buying trucks and SUV's altogether.

pchall
07-08-09, 04:38 PM
It's not like people are going to stop buying trucks and SUV's altogether.

I was thinking about what exactly the ratio of buyers who actually need crew cab pickups vs. buyers who want a pickup truck that's sedan comfy and roomy might be. I see way too many huge things on the road with one small person in them on my commutes.

Sean Malone
07-08-09, 05:00 PM
I was thinking about what exactly the ratio of buyers who actually need crew cab pickups vs. buyers who want a pickup truck that's sedan comfy and roomy might be. I see way too many huge things on the road with one small person in them on my commutes.

If I had a dollar for every bleach blond soccer mom alone in her Escalade I'd have enough money to well, buy my own (Escalade that is).

Indy
07-09-09, 01:51 AM

Well, I have an extended cab. I need the extra room because sometimes it doubles as a family vehicle, and the rest of the time I haul around a lot of stuff that needs to be inside the cab. I bought it because it is cheaper than a car, holds its value better than a car, and I need to carry big stuff in the bed. The additional cost in gas is far outweighed by the other considerations, and I drive a bunch of miles.

Seems to me there is just too much of this-->:shakehead going on. We have bought into the fear based manipulations to the point of judging people by what they drive. The next step is assigning a bureaucracy to decide what people "actually need." :saywhat:

KLang
07-09-09, 06:38 AM
The next step is assigning a bureaucracy to decide what people "actually need."

Just wait......

I expect Government Motors will tell us what we need to drive soon.

stroker
07-09-09, 08:46 AM
Seems to me there is just too much of this-->:shakehead going on. We have bought into the fear based manipulations to the point of judging people by what they drive. The next step is assigning a bureaucracy to decide what people "actually need." :saywhat:

Just wait......

I expect Government Motors will tell us what we need to drive soon.

No difference to me, man, 'cuz I got my leather "TRABANT" jacket ready to go. I'll be stylin'...

:saywhat:

Sean Malone
07-09-09, 09:18 AM
I have a gas guzzling V8 pickup that is only used to tow our boat 5 miles to the public ramp. One full tank of gas lasts me months! Compared to 2 full tanks in my commuter a WEEK.
I think a campaign pushing responsible vehicle usage would go a long way. There are many people that need larger, gas guzzling vehicles but not as primary transportation.

Indy
07-25-09, 12:30 PM
I am going to go today and trade my gas guzzling truck on a new gas guzzling truck. Why? Because it is worth as much as I paid for it new. Total cost of ownership, anyone? Stick that granola in your birkenstocks and smoke it.