PDA

View Full Version : Hershel McGriff to race at 81!

Michaelhatesfans
05-14-09, 04:48 PM
I'll be hitting PIR to check this out. Not often you can see someone who was there when NASCAR started coming out of "retirement" to take on kids who are 60 years younger than him! Knowing McGriff, you have to think he'll make a decent showing of it, as well.

I was going to say how I hope that I'm as fit as him when I'm that age. And then I realized, I'm half his age, but still not as fit! Now, where did I leave those running shoes....:o

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=124225107707147400

oddlycalm
05-14-09, 07:16 PM
Hershel McGriff, nice . :thumbup: I saw him win in '86 but the race was a hoot. The West drivers rarely see a road course and it looked like bumper cars at an amusement park.

McGriff claimed the 1986 Winston West championship, with a season that included a win at PIR — the last time the West cars have run there – among his three consecutive road-course victories.

Not to split hairs with that tewl Vondersmith but I'm pretty sure NASCAR West ran at PIR more recently (1995 ?) because it was right after Saturday CART quals and I was there. Mark Martin and Bobby Labonte were here for that race so it's kinda hard to forget. Seeing how deep Martin went in that barge in the turn 1 braking zone was :eek: :thumbup:

oc