PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari out of F1 in 2010?

SteveH
05-12-09, 11:45 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSLC80587920090512

UPDATE 1-Motor racing-Ferrari will quit F1 if 2010 rules stand
Tue May 12, 2009 11:08am EDT

* Ferrari threaten not to enter F1 next season

* Board upset by plans for greater freedom for capped teams

(adds details)

By Mark Meadows

MILAN, May 12 (Reuters) - Ferrari will quit Formula One at the end of season if the sport adopts a budget cap for 2010, the champions said on Tuesday after a board meeting. "No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change. Ferrari confirms its opposition to the new rules imposed by FIA and does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship," a statement said.

Toyota and Red Bull have already threatened not to enter next year's championship unless the new rules published by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) are changed.

The FIA, headed by Max Mosley, want to introduce an optional 40 million pound ($60.7 million) budget cap next year to encourage new teams to enter.

The plan would allow capped teams to operate with far greater technical freedom than those continuing with unlimited budgets.

Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo, head of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), has warned it would create a two-tier championship that could be "fundamentally unfair and perhaps even biased".

The FIA has set a deadline of May 29 for teams wishing to compete in 2010 to enter and state whether they want a cap or not.

Ferrari, the sport's oldest and most successful team, also threatened a pullout in October if proposals for a standard engine for all teams went ahead.

(Reporting by Mark Meadows; Editing by Alan Baldwin; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

:rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
05-12-09, 11:48 AM
They can all enter ALMS :D:thumbup:

jcollins28
05-12-09, 11:48 AM
Ferrari is coming to Indycar book it! :rofl:

JLMannin
05-12-09, 12:08 PM
That would be terrible if Ferrari left F1 - Methanolandbrats would have nothing to complain about, and that just would not be right. :D

Napoleon
05-12-09, 12:13 PM
What crybabies.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-09, 12:33 PM
What crybabies. It's not just them, the more Max and Bernard **** it up the further F1 moves away from pure motorsport.

Don Quixote
05-12-09, 12:36 PM
Ferrari complaining of a system that would be biased. Now I seen everything.

DagoFast
05-12-09, 12:37 PM
It's not just them, the more Max and Bernard **** it up the further F1 moves away from pure motorsport.

Agreed. Toyota and other Mfgs. will bolt as well. Either Max blinks or they walk.

The next question is, do the Mfgs just go home or??

Insomniac
05-12-09, 12:53 PM
The only teams that would definitely be left would be Williams, Force India and Brawn. Flavio says there needs to be more rules/limits. Both Red Bulls, Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Toyota said they won't sign on for 2010.

stroker
05-12-09, 01:37 PM
I'm up for privateer F1.

I betcha Ferrari could dust off some old 312P models for ALMS...

Methanolandbrats
05-12-09, 01:47 PM
I'm up for privateer F1.

I betcha Ferrari could dust off some old 312P models for ALMS...I'm beginning to think the ONLY hope for motorsport is ACO/ALMS being reborn as the new IMSA. What else is left? American Open Wheel....dead. WRC....almost dead. NASCAR......WGAF. F1.....accelerating down the drain.

Sean Malone
05-12-09, 02:10 PM
Rebel series redux. :yuck:

Nothing more than typical F1 power play politics. Someone wake me if they actually leave.

oddlycalm
05-12-09, 02:35 PM
Once again we have a high stakes game of chicken. It'd be nice if it mean Bernie and Max were going, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably no accident this comes at the only time I can remember in F1 when the entire grid was covered by less than 2 seconds and an upstart team had a hammer lock on both titles. Not the sort of future the big teams want to contemplate.

oc

Methanolandbrats
05-12-09, 03:08 PM
Once again we have a high stakes game of chicken. It'd be nice if it mean Bernie and Max were going, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably no accident this comes at the only time I can remember in F1 when the entire grid was covered by less than 2 seconds and an upstart team had a hammer lock on both titles. Not the sort of future the big teams want to contemplate.

oc Max and Bernie will turn it into NASCAR with constant rule tweaks to maintain "close racin'".

JohnHKart
05-12-09, 11:02 PM
If this all goes down, then that ticket I just blew tons of money on for the German GP gets more valuable by the minute. I'm just thankful I get to see one of the best seasons ever.

opinionated ow
05-12-09, 11:24 PM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21465.html

worth a read

cameraman
05-13-09, 01:28 AM
The only teams that would definitely be left would be Williams, Force India and Brawn. Flavio says there needs to be more rules/limits. Both Red Bulls, Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Toyota said they won't sign on for 2010.

The entire field powered by spec Renault lumps. Just what F1 needs:rolleyes:

emjaya
05-13-09, 08:33 AM
The entire field powered by spec Renault lumps. Just what F1 needs:rolleyes:

Not according to Le Figaro, Renault is going to support Ferrari as well.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21467.html

Methanolandbrats
05-13-09, 09:16 AM
If all current factory teams leave, I can see Honda stepping in, supplying motors and dominating this form of racing too :gomer:

TrueBrit
05-13-09, 09:43 AM
If FIArrari leave as well as Toyota and Renault F-1 will be in an interesting spot...Maybe MAx and Bernie will have to crawl back to Mercedes and ask them not to leave, and btw can you provide the rest of the field with some motors...?? I would LOVE to see that happening...as it is right now, Renault Toyota and FIArrari are simply throwing their toys out of the pram...none of them will actually leave...although the thought of them all suddenly switching to ALMS makes me salivate, it ain't gonna happen either...

SteveH
05-13-09, 09:54 AM
According to AR1, one Italian newspaper is reporting Ferrari is headed to Le Mans while another said its believes Ferrari's headed to an American racing series. :eek::p

Methanolandbrats
05-13-09, 09:59 AM
According to AR1, one Italian newspaper is reporting Ferrari is headed to Le Mans while another said its believes Ferrari's headed to an American racing series. :eek::p ACO/ALMS would be a perfect marketing fit for Ferrari..........hell, check out the parking lot at ALMS and Historic races.

extramundane
05-13-09, 10:05 AM
According to AR1, one Italian newspaper is reporting Ferrari is headed to Le Mans while another said its believes Ferrari's headed to an American racing series. :eek::p

Just dust this sucker off. It's probably faster than the IRL heaps.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3241/ferr10.jpg

Methanolandbrats
05-13-09, 10:09 AM
Just dust this sucker off. It's probably faster than the IRL heaps.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3241/ferr10.jpg

I don't think a whole lot of Ferrari owners attend IRL races :gomer:

opinionated ow
05-13-09, 10:20 AM
Not according to Le Figaro, Renault is going to support Ferrari as well.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21467.html

I think he meant GP2 engines

extramundane
05-13-09, 11:14 AM
I don't think a whole lot of Ferrari owners attend IRL races :gomer:

Sure they do. Clearly, Ferrari is the other engine manufacturer joining in! Key demographics, etc, etc.

stroker
05-13-09, 12:21 PM
God, can you imagine what a shot in the arm it would be for ALMS if all those companies jumped in with both feet? Holy crap.

Methanolandbrats
05-13-09, 12:26 PM
God, can you imagine what a shot in the arm it would be for ALMS if all those companies jumped in with both feet? Holy crap. It's been done, IMSA GTP :thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-13-09, 03:06 PM
The other side of this is that if there isn't massive cost cutting done in F1 several teams will be gone after this season. While the big teams are using this as an opportunity to get rid of Max and renegotiate their split with Bernie all of it will be for naught if there are only five teams on the grid in 2010.

oc

eiregosod
05-13-09, 03:30 PM
what a clusterfox

Indy
05-13-09, 09:11 PM
Meh. This is just public negotiation. Ferrari owns their asses and they know it.

Insomniac
05-14-09, 11:44 AM
Meh. This is just public negotiation. Ferrari owns their asses and they know it.

Sadly, that's the problem. Most don't like Bernie/Max, but a series run by manufacturers doesn't necessarily lend itself to what is best for the fans either.

oddlycalm
05-14-09, 02:35 PM

Bernie agrees with your assessment and is happy to say so.

"The key to F1 is Ferrari," Ecclestone was quoted as saying in the British press on Thursday. "They have been there for 60 years. They are partners of ours.

"They are the people we need to take into consideration. At the moment everyone is hanging on to their apron strings. Sort that out and we will be OK."

oc

Insomniac
05-17-09, 02:03 PM
Ferrari is taking the FIA to court because they believe they have the ability to veto new technical rules.

They may want to consider being just as proactive and attacking on track. :)

oddlycalm
05-17-09, 04:44 PM
They may want to consider being just as proactive and attacking on track. :)
Ferrari has gone back to being an Italian race team. The guy that engineered much of their modern success is quietly beating the pants off them within a year of taking over a floundering team. :laugh:

Still, I gotta agree with Ferrari and the teams on the issue of F1 governance. Time for Max and Bernie to disappear.

oc

trish
05-18-09, 08:41 PM
Max doesn't appear to be worried.

::click (http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5333736,00.html)

ilferrari
05-19-09, 11:17 AM
Max Mosley is such an obstinate and powerful SOB, he would rather see Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and the two Red Bull teams leave than have to back down on on his BS regulations. I'd say the most likely scenario is that the teams will back down.

oddlycalm
05-19-09, 04:18 PM
I'd say the most likely scenario is that the teams will back down.
Agreed, but nearly as likely is that F1 loses a team or two in the process.

oc

mueber
05-19-09, 08:48 PM
Ferrari sells too many tickets not to get what they want. Max will back down.

dando
05-20-09, 10:07 AM
Ferrari's injunction request rejected.
(http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/f1/news/story?id=4184252)

-Kevin

ilferrari
05-20-09, 11:20 AM
I'm so tired of Max Mosley and Bernie Eccle$tone ramming their terrible governance of F1 down everyone's throat, I would not be unhappy if Ferrari, Toyota, Renault, Red Bull etc started their own breakaway GP series, even if it meant starting out on smaller venues. Many of F1's venues (like Montreal, China and Melbourne) are openly sick of getting ripped off by Eccle$tone, maybe they would switch over.

oddlycalm
05-20-09, 04:25 PM
Somebody is nervous. A survey arrived in my email box asking:

Do you believe the threat of a number of teams withdrawing from Formula 1 next year is genuine?

Would you still watch Formula 1 next year if Ferrari was no longer involved?

Do you think F1 would benefit with the introduction of a budget cap?

Would you like to see more teams such as Lola or USF1 in F1?

Which team's absence would have the most negative impact on the sport?

What's your view about the current state of F1 and the controversy surrounding next season? What do you think is the best solution?

It was sent by a contract survey company and the only source listed was "F1 Racing."

oc

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 04:32 PM

Do you believe the threat of a number of teams withdrawing from Formula 1 next year is genuine?

Would you still watch Formula 1 next year if Ferrari was no longer involved?

What's your view about the current state of F1 and the controversy surrounding next season? What do you think is the best solution?

It was sent by a contract survey company and the only source listed was "F1 Racing."

oc

I got that too, I deleted it.

DagoFast
05-20-09, 06:10 PM
Do you believe the threat of a number of teams withdrawing from Formula 1 next year is genuine? Yes, and I bet Bernie does too.

Would you still watch Formula 1 next year if Ferrari was no longer involved? Nope. But then again, I ain't been watching this year after all the bull shite politics of the last few years.

No. But Bernie and Max should both be capped with a .45 immediately.

Sure
Force India! Who else dumbazz?
What's your view about the current state of F1 and the controversy surrounding next season? I think it caught a bad case of stupid from Toeknee George. What do you think is the best solution? See proposed solution to question 3.

oc

:rolleyes:

opinionated ow
05-20-09, 08:07 PM
I got it too...thought i'd give them an honest answer

Do you believe the threat of a number of teams withdrawing from Formula 1 next year is genuine? Yes

Would you still watch Formula 1 next year if Ferrari was no longer involved? No

Do you think F1 would benefit with the introduction of a budget cap? No

Would you like to see more teams such as Lola or USF1 in F1? Yes

Which team's absence would have the most negative impact on the sport? Ferrari

What's your view about the current state of F1 and the controversy surrounding next season? What do you think is the best solution? Remove the restrictions. People's available budget will dictate where they spend their cash-engine or aerodynamics.

oc

stroker
05-20-09, 09:31 PM
I'd love to see the big 5 start a new series with an A (this year's car) and B (last year's car) teams and sign on to some of the tracks B&M have deserted. They'd have a 20 car grid and five races in Europe and two in North America no problem. The only question is who do you hire to run the thing?

Methanolandbrats
05-20-09, 09:55 PM
I'd love to see the big 5 start a new series with an A (this year's car) and B (last year's car) teams and sign on to some of the tracks B&M have deserted. They'd have a 20 car grid and five races in Europe and two in North America no problem. The only question is who do you hire to run the thing? :thumbup: Better yet dust off the 20,000 rpm V10 cars and run them on only natural terrain road courses. :thumbup::thumbup: They could even run at Road America if they could stand to slum it at the American Club and Osthoff :D

stroker
05-20-09, 11:26 PM
:thumbup: Better yet dust off the 20,000 rpm V10 cars and run them on only natural terrain road courses. :thumbup::thumbup:

I think they'd best use the off the shelf stuff to save some money, but if they've still got those cars and engines handy, I don't see why not...

They could even run at Road America if they could stand to slum it at the American Club and Osthoff :D

That was my first thought but it'll never happen. I think first choice would be Laguna Seca. The only other track that would automatically meet FIA (read "Insurance") regs would be Indy.

Seriously. Those five teams must budget a total more than 1.3 BILLION dollars. How could you not have enough money for 10 races and 20 cars? Hell, cut that in half--you don't think you could run a ten-race series in 2010 for $650 million dollars? Ten races for $65 million each, divided by 20 cars down to roughly $3 million per car per race?

opinionated ow
05-21-09, 12:54 AM
I'd love to see the big 5 start a new series with an A (this year's car) and B (last year's car) teams and sign on to some of the tracks B&M have deserted. They'd have a 20 car grid and five races in Europe and two in North America no problem. The only question is who do you hire to run the thing?

Me. And over time I'll implement an increase in the races up to about 32 races per year. Covering all major motorsport countries and in some cases alternating circuits to vary things on an annual basis. Implementation of some regional Grands Prix like the North American Grand Prix as well as a US, Canadian and Mexican, a Tasman Grand Prix as well as an Australian and New Zealand Grand Prix.

Then I'd commence the new Formula 2. Get rid of Bernie's GP2 & GP3 and FIA F2 (all three of which are shite). My Formula 2 being an upgrade of exisiting Formula 3 regulations to a bigger and faster car incorporating a 3-3.5L air restricted V6 (dependant on engine swept capacity). I'd also then bring in a world Formula 3 Championships, most of which's rounds would be a round of the national F3 Championships to guarantee large grids.

Then I'd change the way it was run to give prize money ala NASCAR, and implement the OOW (TM) points score system for all 3 of my World Championships. And thats all within the first week :laugh:

pchall
05-21-09, 07:21 AM
Ferrari's law suit over the budget cap has been tossed out of court according to the BBC.

dando
05-21-09, 10:11 AM
Ferrari's law suit over the budget cap has been tossed out of court according to the BBC.

Really?

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=255897&postcount=40

;)

What would Spickly say? :)

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-21-09, 07:39 PM
Now Bernie is threatening to sue Ferrari over breach of the Concorde agreement if they pull out.... :shakehead

Little man talks big (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/5364111/Ferrari-face-legal-action-if-they-quit-F1.html)

oc

trish
05-26-09, 05:14 AM
Williams first to confirm entry for 2010. (http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/169483/williams-confirms-2010-formula-one-entry)

Trevor Longman
05-27-09, 12:25 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75646

Williams suspended from FOTA for entering F1 in 2010. :rofl: :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
05-27-09, 12:39 PM
Does anyone else think this feels a lot like 1996 :saywhat:

Michaelhatesfans
05-27-09, 03:09 PM
Does anyone else think this feels a lot like 1996 :saywhat:

Yes. Arie will win next year's F1 race at Monaco in a year old Force India.

Methanolandbrats
05-28-09, 12:14 PM
Yes. Arie will win next year's F1 race at Monaco in a year old Force India. Button winning in an old Honda pushed by a German crate motor is close enough. :D