PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

Napoleon
05-11-09, 05:51 AM
I was biking last summer on the Towpath Trail of the old Ohio and Erie canal, which has been turned into a hiking and biking trail and saw this. It is a Skidoo looking vehicle but has a huge fan in the center. I am not sure it it just propels the thing forward or if it also has a hover craft feature. It had the look of something from, say, the 70's.

mapguy
05-11-09, 06:22 AM
Looks like some sort of swamp buggy. I didn't know there were swamps in Ohio.

Napoleon
05-11-09, 07:06 AM
On the off chance you are not giving me a hard time, it is sitting on a trailer. The wheels are not part of it.

rosawendel
05-11-09, 07:54 AM
it's a balcony with a fence for a guardrail.

emjaya
05-11-09, 08:36 AM
The Hurricane?

The Hurricane was built in Toledo, Ohio in the 1970's by a company called Windcraft M&M. It was the next generation design to the Skim-Air, otherwise known as the flying bathtub. Designed by Mike Clare, who went on to become one of the six founding directors of the Hovercraft Club of America, this particular craft is set apart from most "typical" hovercrafts in that the engine in placed in the front of the vehicle rather than the rear. The rider sits upon it much like a jetski or motorcycle.

Early incarnations of the craft used a single Chaparral/Xenoah 484cc snowmobile engine generating 45.5HP @ 7,000 RPM. The engine drove a 4-blade wooden prop that generated both lift and thrust. Later versions of the Hurricane were to include a 60HP water-cooled engine driving a 10-blade fiberglass fan.

The craft itself is made of fiberglass with two wooden runners on the bottom. It has a traditional bag skirt that it floats on. The controls are like those on a motorcycle with a twist grip throttle and handlebars that move two fiberglass pabels at the base of the tail to direct air flow. It was certified as a boat by the USCG and has the required lighting and moorings so it can be ridden over water.

Napoleon
05-11-09, 09:41 AM
Emjaya, where did you see that at. From what I could observe that is exactly what that was (right down to the wooden 4 blade prop). I could not locate any info about it on the intertubes using the Google and figured somebody hear would know what it was off the top of their head.

Methanolandbrats
05-11-09, 10:06 AM
I think it's a panorama of a rednecks yard :gomer:

nrc
05-11-09, 11:29 AM
That's probably cached from the former Wikipedia page which was deleted because nobody could prove it existed.

Here's a guy with a whole bunch of pics and info about trying to get one going again. Interesting that it looks very similar, but not identical to the other one. Maybe just the result of the fact that it was a very early, low production unit.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~foxxinabox/hurricane/index.htm

Don Quixote
05-11-09, 12:27 PM
Thing has Schwinn handlebars. :laugh:

Napoleon
05-11-09, 12:45 PM
That's probably cached from the former Wikipedia page which was deleted because nobody could prove it existed.

Here's a guy with a whole bunch of pics and info about trying to get one going again. Interesting that it looks very similar, but not identical to the other one. Maybe just the result of the fact that it was a very early, low production unit.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~foxxinabox/hurricane/index.htm

Ugh, can't get you link to open, but WTF on Wikipedia. You have to "prove" something exist if someone challenges you? Whats up with that and how do you do that?

I went and tried to see if I could locate an overhead of the machine I saw on Google Maps but could not. It is a little hard to follow the trail on the map and I am not entirely certain exactly where I saw it (though I am fairly sure it was north of, but close to, Canton, Ohio.

oddlycalm
05-11-09, 03:02 PM
Wow, great obscure mechanical contraption find :thumbup:

oc

Gnam
05-11-09, 03:44 PM
I went and tried to see if I could locate an overhead of the machine I saw on Google Maps but could not. It is a little hard to follow the trail on the map and I am not entirely certain exactly where I saw it (though I am fairly sure it was north of, but close to, Canton, Ohio.

3571 Erie Ave NW
Massillon, OH 44646

Just north of the intersection with Ontario St NW.
North of Massillon, OH. West of Canton.

Ankf00
05-11-09, 03:52 PM
Thing has Schwinn handlebars. :laugh:

Commercial Off The Shelf before its time. :tony:

Napoleon
05-11-09, 04:11 PM
3571 Erie Ave NW
Massillon, OH 44646

Just north of the intersection with Ontario St NW.
North of Massillon, OH. West of Canton.

How do you know that? You are right, that is it.

I knew it was on Erie Street and I searched everywhere the path came close to Erie with buildings in between. With that address the GPS is 40.833018, -81.524895, but it looks like its not there but in any event satellite photograph resolution is not that good on Google Maps.

Don Quixote
05-11-09, 04:24 PM
This is cool.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=qt4ymh865n93&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=27734655&where1=3571%20Erie%20Ave%20NW%20Massillon%2C%20OH% 2044646&encType=1

Napoleon
05-11-09, 04:26 PM
Don,

That is a lot better view then the Google Maps and you can actually see it in the back yard.

G.
05-11-09, 04:57 PM
holey ****ing stalkerz!

(cool)

mapguy
05-11-09, 05:07 PM
On the off chance you are not giving me a hard time,

Would I ever do that?

Napoleon
05-11-09, 06:43 PM
Would I ever do that?

Yes

Dvdb
05-11-09, 11:35 PM
Hello Big Brother (or google), I'll be playing grab ass with the girlfriend tommorrow night somewhere in Missouri.

Game on

mapguy
05-12-09, 06:18 AM
Yes

I see you're still sore over the gardening with the flowery hat comment from a few years ago. :p:p

Napoleon
05-12-09, 07:20 AM
Hello Big Brother (or google), I'll be playing grab ass with the girlfriend tomorrow night somewhere in Missouri.

Game on

I understand that Google has repurposed a satellite for your big show tonight. I hope the pressure doesn't effect your performance.

I see you're still sore over the gardening with the flowery hat comment from a few years ago. :p:p

I was deeply hurt! ;)