PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 Qualifying Already?

Insomniac
05-09-09, 05:55 PM
I was surprised to see the "headline" on ESPN.com that Helio now has the provisional pole at the Indy 500. My first thought was Indy 500 qualifying started already? I guess it's two weeks away.

Methanolandbrats
05-09-09, 06:10 PM
I flipped that **** on a couple times. First time the sleds were running and they were not using the whole track, not even close. You coulda put up a picnic table between them and the wall and had a safe lunch....clearly they are precision racing machines :yuck: Second time I tuned in Helio was blubbering and carrying on about all the **** he's been through, his family, blah, blah. :yuck::yuck:.........TV off.

nrc
05-09-09, 10:08 PM
I hear that it's one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Second only to the Indy 500 itself.

G.
05-09-09, 11:20 PM
I hear that it's one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Second only to the Indy 500 itself.

Helio blubbering and carrying on is 2nd to Mindy??

I had no idea.

TravelGal
05-10-09, 12:12 AM
Insomniac, you took the words right out of my mind. TravelGuy came in and said he saw that Helio had the pole and I said, what? it's two weeks away. more than that even. But I guess it's true. AOL says so. :rofl:

Insomniac
05-10-09, 11:57 AM
I don't know if it's the weird timing (Memorial Day is the 25th), I'm insanely busy lately or that the hype/promotion is so little (my level of apathy was already maxed out) that I didn't have any clue. I thought the merger was supposed to be a good thing?

Wheel-Nut
05-10-09, 01:28 PM
Pole Day was witnessed by dozens of fans.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/indycar/2009/ind/indycar-2009-ind-mj-0199.jpg

dando
05-10-09, 03:27 PM
I don't know if it's the weird timing (Memorial Day is the 25th), I'm insanely busy lately or that the hype/promotion is so little (my level of apathy was already maxed out) that I didn't have any clue. I thought the merger was supposed to be a good thing?

Unless you're watching hockey on Vs. or NBC, you aren't seeing any promos.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-10-09, 03:55 PM

Can't swing a dead cat during a hockey game without seeing an Indy Car promo. The Danica ad with the "I've been doing this for 18 years and I deserve respect" is making me want to throw something at my TV.

However, I would like to ban Bob Jenkins from reading hockey promos. I'm still trying to figure out who the Canooks are. :)

oddlycalm
05-10-09, 09:15 PM
Understandable. The two minute highlight reel on Speed News was a snore, so who's gonna sit there for 7hrs....? :yuck:

oc

Wheel-Nut
05-10-09, 09:42 PM
It looked like there were less fans there today. Did the Colts have a mini camp in town going on?

miatanut
05-10-09, 10:04 PM
The Danica ad with the "I've been doing this for 18 years and I deserve respect" is making me want to throw something at my TV.

I am SO glad I don't have versus!

Don Quixote
05-10-09, 11:23 PM
Wow, that's a nice crowd. I think they are back on the road to greatness. :tony:

cameraman
05-11-09, 02:03 AM
I am SO glad I don't have versus!

I have Versus and still managed to miss the whole thing. It isn't hard.

Andrew Longman
05-11-09, 04:23 AM
I read in the paper yesterday that Helio got pole. I was confused for a few minutes. I literally had no idea that this was pole weekend. And I'm generally paying attention to this stuff. First time since I was 8 years old that I truly didn't give a crap at all .

Napoleon
05-11-09, 05:44 AM
I read in the paper yesterday that Helio got pole.

Who is Helio?

Wheel-Nut
05-11-09, 09:36 AM
Who is Helio?

I think he is a ballroom dancer.

dando
05-11-09, 09:45 AM
I think he is a ballroom dancer.

He finished 2nd in 2002 500....err, 497.5. :tony:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
05-11-09, 11:15 AM
Graham Rahal had the save of the month yesterday.

John Andretti wrecked in turn 2 ?? and was sitting broad side on the track. Rahal came around, hitting the debis and put his car into a spin to avoid t- boning Andretti.

Rahal saved the car with minimal damage to the front suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167Gl34_owQ

dando
05-11-09, 11:31 AM

John Andretti wrecked in turn 2 ?? and was sitting broad side on the track. Rahal came around, hitting the debis and put his car into a spin to avoid t- boning Andretti.

I read about that this AM and went looking for a video of it. :thumbup:

-Kevin

opinionated ow
05-11-09, 11:40 AM

So seeing that...what is good about Indy? I forget...

Wheel-Nut
05-11-09, 12:02 PM
...what is good about Indy? I forget...

I don't know but that was one fine piece of avoidance.

Don Quixote
05-11-09, 12:30 PM
That's a fine piece of driving right there, and lucky too. :eek:

meadors
05-11-09, 12:54 PM
Doesn't say much for Indy, but it does for GR.

mapguy
05-11-09, 05:33 PM

Now if I farted there, and there was no-one around to smell it. Did I really fart?

shaggy_socal
05-11-09, 06:50 PM

Now if I farted there, and there was no-one around to smell it. Did I really fart?

Only if the naked guy on top of the trophy starts waving his flag.

dando
05-11-09, 07:33 PM

I think someone did and that's why the crowd is so sparse. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
05-11-09, 09:54 PM
Now if I farted there, and there was no-one around to smell it. Did I really fart? It looks like you could drop your pants and crap in the stands and nobody would notice.

Dvdb
05-11-09, 10:54 PM
Been there, done that ;)

Insomniac
05-12-09, 12:58 PM

-Kevin

Catching my hockey occasional hockey on NESN. :D

Elmo T
05-16-09, 03:43 PM
Grass is cut, rain is on the way, and my 5yo managed to break the windshield on the van. :saywhat:

Why not relax in front of the TV.

I'll give it a try: rain has stopped at IMS.

Lots of forced emotion. Townsend Bell's "brilliant" 221mph lap. Maybe I will go back out and stare at the broken windshield. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
05-16-09, 04:34 PM
Are they bumpin' today? Turned on TV and MIlkers brushed the wall, Aruty and Bob are pretending it was a great save. Oh oh, Nelson's hairline is receding.....talk about trauma.

Andrew Longman
05-16-09, 05:04 PM
What's with Arute? He looks as if he was left in the toaster too long. I hate my toaster oven (my wife loves it) but it makes most stuff look like a Kingsford briquette.

Wheel-Nut
05-16-09, 05:26 PM
Grass is cut, rain is on the way, and my 5yo managed to break the windshield on the van. :saywhat:

Why not relax in front of the TV.

I'll give it a try: rain has stopped at IMS.

Lots of forced emotion. Townsend Bell's "brilliant" 221mph lap. Maybe I will go back out and stare at the broken windshield. :shakehead

How does a 5 yo break a windshield?

Elmo T
05-16-09, 05:47 PM
How does a 5 yo break a windshield?

We were emptying the van of the weekly accumulation of junk. He and his buddy were playing in the "way back". While I was in the house (being a bad father apparently :saywhat: ), he tried to see if he could sit on the dashboard - facing to the rear. He stood in front of the passenger seat and jumped up, smashing his head into the windshield. Happily, his head is harder than the windshield - not even a scratch on him.http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=97

Methanolandbrats
05-16-09, 05:59 PM
Tuned back in....two minutes till the track closes and Milkers is duking it out with Buddy Lazer for P33.................I can barely type,......hands shaking from eggcitement. Milkers is in! Nelson on the Bubble..............:eek:

Methanolandbrats
05-16-09, 06:00 PM
We were emptying the van of the weekly accumulation of junk. He and his buddy were playing in the "way back". While I was in the house (being a bad father apparently :saywhat: ), he tried to see if he could sit on the dashboard - facing to the rear. He stood in front of the passenger seat and jumped up, smashing his head into the windshield. Happily, his head is harder than the windshield - not even a scratch on him.http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=97 Thank you safety glass.....an innovation from the early days of Green Racing :thumbup:

Elmo T
05-16-09, 06:07 PM
Little guy just asked who is qualifying. "Is it Marco or Paul Tracy? Danica?"

Nope, it is Stanton Barrett.

Elmo T
05-16-09, 06:12 PM
Thank you safety glass....

:thumbup::thumbup:

He told me exactly what happened and offered to bust open the piggyback to fund the repair. I don't think he has enough quarters to cover it, but I am glad he offered. ;)

Methanolandbrats
05-16-09, 06:17 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

He told me exactly what happened and offered to bust open the piggyback to fund the repair. I don't think he has enough quarters to cover it, but I am glad he offered. ;) Honest kid, for that he should only have to pay the deductable :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
05-16-09, 06:20 PM
Glad he's o.k. Saturday afternoons in the ER are zero fun, about like watching Indy time trials. :rofl:

Wheel-Nut
05-16-09, 06:24 PM
I did catch an interview with our favorite futility character, AJIV. Turns out he is engaged to an heir of the Indy Colts. :saywhat:

nrc
05-16-09, 08:00 PM
I did catch an interview with our favorite futility character, AJIV. Turns out he is engaged to an heir of the Indy Colts. :saywhat:

I guess it wasn't all so futile after all. :rolleyes:

chop456
05-16-09, 08:18 PM
Turns out he is engaged to an heir of the Indy Colts. :saywhat:

Indiana sure has gotten progressive while I wasn't looking. :D

JohnHKart
05-16-09, 10:58 PM
My digital cable box isn't working. Thankfully it is still getting Speed...I'm never here so I don't know when I can get the guy to come out and fix it so we can get Versus (yes we were getting it and are supposed to get it). It doesn't sound like I'm reallly missing anything. Thanks for the updates.

John

miatanut
05-17-09, 09:42 PM
We were emptying the van of the weekly accumulation of junk. He and his buddy were playing in the "way back". While I was in the house (being a bad father apparently :saywhat: ), he tried to see if he could sit on the dashboard - facing to the rear. He stood in front of the passenger seat and jumped up, smashing his head into the windshield. Happily, his head is harder than the windshield - not even a scratch on him.http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=97

:rofl:

Glad he's OK. :thumbup:

devilmaster
05-17-09, 11:11 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=97

I'd hold that broken windshield over his head for a few years elmo.... no pun intended of course....

well, ok.....

pun intended.... ;)

Andrew Longman
05-17-09, 11:32 PM
Bump day?

Wouldn't know if from watching Sportcenter. I'm about 3/4 through it I just realized there has not been on mention of it.

Indy ain't what it was.

This year I actually forgot to watch it all four days.

Napoleon
05-18-09, 05:40 AM
Bump day?

Wouldn't know if from watching Sportcenter. I'm about 3/4 through it I just realized there has not been on mention of it.

Indy ain't what it was.

This year I actually forgot to watch it all four days.

What is this Bump Day of which you speak?

Andrew Longman
05-18-09, 07:48 AM

I don't know but all the folks at TF are pissed because they feel they were given faux drama. Apparently they guy who got bumped and made everyone feel so bad didn't really get bumped because his teammate is going to give him his car. Somehow that is a bad thing worthy of five pages overnight.

Sorry I missed it.

Napoleon
05-18-09, 08:16 AM
I don't know but all the folks at TF are pissed because they feel they were given faux drama.

If they are pissed I am happy!

TKGAngel
05-18-09, 09:02 AM
I don't know but all the folks at TF are pissed because they feel they were given faux drama. Apparently they guy who got bumped and made everyone feel so bad didn't really get bumped because his teammate is going to give him his car. Somehow that is a bad thing worthy of five pages overnight.

Sorry I missed it.

If I'm reading that right, Tag is in and Teammate of Tag (whomever that is) is out? Can they do that? (Why am I even asking? The main rule is that there are no rules)

I watched the last hour of Bump Day after the Hawks game went downhill and thought it was more Chinese Fire Drill than anything. Cars would get in line, then pull out and get back in line when they came to the box and realized that their speed was safe. It was completely ridiculous.

The Twitter feeds of the drivers are a heck of a lot more entertaining than the on track action (and that's sad). Graham's CRV was stolen, Kanaan has a chia pet likeness of him residing in the KV offices and RHR has excellent taste in jewelry (if Beccy Gordon's engagement ring is any indication).

miatanut
05-18-09, 12:39 PM
If I'm reading that right, Tag is in and Teammate of Tag (whomever that is) is out? Can they do that? (Why am I even asking? The main rule is that there are no rules)

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought musical drivers among qualified cars was quite common a couple decades back. It's the car that gets qualified, not the driver. The :gomer:s should be elated. Another tradition of Indy renewed!

Insomniac
05-18-09, 01:09 PM
Junky out, Tags in. Junky should be happy he's still walking after his last time at Indy (at least I think it was his last time).

cameraman
05-18-09, 01:13 PM

Sorry I missed it.

So the TF crew is all upset because Junky got screwed?

Who knew they were such avid Bruno Junqueira fans:tony:

Wheel-Nut
05-18-09, 01:45 PM
Bruno realized AJIV was in the show and gave up his seat.

KLang
05-18-09, 02:47 PM
The Twitter feeds of the drivers

While driving? :eek:

;)

oddlycalm
05-18-09, 05:54 PM

Exactly. From the little bit I saw on The Grid and Speed News there was literally no witnesses to the IMS non-event.

oc

Insomniac
05-18-09, 07:49 PM
All I want to know is, does PT have a shot without the top teams pretty much crashing out?

Dvdb
05-18-09, 10:28 PM
Tags will win. Fix is in one week early

pchall
05-19-09, 07:56 AM
Penske used to hire guys like Mike Hiss to put a car in the field for Mario when his F1 commitments required it. There were also deals cut to sell a qualified car, but IMS put an end to that decades ago.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought musical drivers among qualified cars was quite common a couple decades back. It's the car that gets qualified, not the driver. The :gomer:s should be elated. Another tradition of Indy renewed!

JLMannin
05-19-09, 11:36 AM
Mike Groff qualified the Mackenzie Lola in 1992, then stepped out of the car for Scott Goodyear. I cannot remember right now if Goodyear was bumped or injured and unable to qualify.

Chief
05-19-09, 02:09 PM
Goodyear was bumped but brought Mackenzie as sponsorship so Walker had to yank him and put Scooty in the seat.

About 52 drivers waged competition for 33 spots back then. RIP Jovy.

Andrew Longman
05-19-09, 02:39 PM
So the TF crew is all upset because Junky got screwed?

Who knew they were such avid Bruno Junqueira fans:tony:

Seriously there are a bunch feeling betrayed because they poured so much emotion into bump day only to find out it the bump wasn't a bump.

dando
05-19-09, 03:23 PM
Seriously there are a bunch feeling betrayed because they poured so much emotion into bump day only to find out it the bump wasn't a bump.

A bump hasn't been a bump in a decade. And 33 is just a number. :tony:

-Kevin

shaggy_socal
05-19-09, 07:39 PM
All I want to know is, does PT have a shot without the top teams pretty much crashing out?

On outright speed? Probably not.

IMO, I think the team's given him a car capable of running in the top 10.
If they get lucky on strategy and pit stops, PT could steal a win. Longshot at best.

Hard Driver
05-20-09, 12:41 AM
Goodyear was bumped but brought Mackenzie as sponsorship so Walker had to yank him and put Scooty in the seat.

About 52 drivers waged competition for 33 spots back then. RIP Jovy.

Same thing, Alex has the team sponsors to Junky has to step aside. Stink for Junquira because he qualified a car that was slapped together the night before and with almost no practice to give it to Alex who had a car and could not make it in.

I heard Junquira say something about half of the field was for paying drivers anyway.

Easy
05-20-09, 02:25 PM

Thats correct. Its the car that gets qualified, not the driver. Thats why you see a car number plus "T" on the scoring if they're using a back-up car.
/Late to the party, I know.

I did watch much of fill day and bump day as I am currently spending a lot of time on the couch awaiting back surgery. And because I still like the 500. I have one question for the group. Why does Barnhart feel the need to give every driver a coaching session/pep talk before qualifying runs? I don't recall this happening before Barnhart, was this always done in the past? I can understand if he is just giving a brief track condition update but a Paul Tracy or Scott Dixon or Helio Castroneves, etc.. really don't need or give a damn about his advice. Im sure Milkers or Stan Barrett and some of the other field fillers could use coaching but thats what their team boss, spotter and engineer are for.

shaggy_socal
05-20-09, 04:16 PM
Same thing, Alex has the team sponsors to Junky has to step aside. Stink for Junquira because he qualified a car that was slapped together the night before and with almost no practice to give it to Alex who had a car and could not make it in.

Alex's car had the speed, but Eric didn't think they'd get bumped so he didn't withdraw the car and attempt to requalify like most of the other drivers did (Milka, Philippe, Scheckter...). They pulled Alex's car out of line twice. The opportunity was there to better his time, but they chose not to take it and it bit them.

Insomniac
05-21-09, 10:21 AM
Alex's car had the speed, but Eric didn't think they'd get bumped so he didn't withdraw the car and attempt to requalify like most of the other drivers did (Milka, Philippe, Scheckter...). They pulled Alex's car out of line twice. The opportunity was there to better his time, but they chose not to take it and it bit them.

If he was just going to get Junky's spot, they should've pulled him and re-qualified as soon as Junky was ahead of him on the grid.

TKGAngel
05-21-09, 12:11 PM
PT has some interesting thoughts (http://www.racer.com/2009/05/paul-tracy%E2%80%99s-indy-500-blog-may-16-20-oh-canada-the-thrill-from-west-hill-is-coming-to-your-backyard/) on the whole Junky/Tag mess.

we got the publicity trip to New York out of the way on Monday, so we all got the chance to listen to Tagliani making excuses for himself. Zzzzzz… How could he not do a qualifying run in six freakin’ hours?! I mean, come on. Sorry, but I would not take a ride in the circumstances that Alex has. I think he or the team made a huge screw-up not going out, and it’s Bruno who’s paid the price. How does that work?

Obviously, Bruno is a good friend of mine, so I’m taking his side, but I feel very bad for him missing the race. He walked the paddock for two weeks, looking for a deal, landed one at the last second, and got in the field in just a total of 12 laps. He showed exactly what he could do, but got pushed out of the car. I feel extremely bad for him, because he’s been driving for nothing for the last two years, and he’s been given the short end of the stick since he left Newman/Haas/Lanigan at the end of 2006.

While I’m on the case, what about Buddy Rice? I think he was pretty close with getting the Rahal Letterman ride that Oriol Servia’s now got, if Oriol’s money hadn’t shown up. But why is Buddy in this position at all? He’s the winner of this race five years ago, and yet no one would give him a ride this year. That sucks. He’s got the same attitude as me: he’s not going to devalue himself wandering around, helmet in hand, begging for a ride. I respect that. We should leave that role to Roberto Moreno. That’s his territory.

I think PT may have fallen off a few Christmas card lists with that one.

cameraman
05-21-09, 08:26 PM
That and Servia can outdrive Buddy friggin Rice anytime anywhere.