PDA

View Full Version : KERS to LMP1

Gnam
05-05-09, 05:20 PM
Corsa Motorsports, owned by Steve and Tere Pruitt of Sandy, Utah, is introducing the world's first ethanol/electric hybrid sports prototype to be campaigned on a full-time basis. The car is a Ginetta-Zytek GZ09-SH, and it will race in the LMP1 class of the American Le Mans Series.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=326680&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Hopefully, it works better than the F1 version since it sounds like it's available for more than 6 seconds.

miatanut
05-08-09, 10:55 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=326680&FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Hopefully, it works better than the F1 version since it sounds like it's available for more than 6 seconds.

Yes. :thumbup:

Bring it on!

opinionated ow
05-09-09, 12:00 AM
*Snooze*
"Green" Motorsport, what bulls***

miatanut
05-09-09, 02:05 AM
For a young buck, you sure are old school.

opinionated ow
05-09-09, 03:10 AM
For a young buck, you sure are old school.

I have my opinions and beliefs and I am firm in them. Gimmicks are killing motorsport, taking it from sport into some sort of lame attempt at entertainment. That doesn't work. Excluding baseball, basketball and gridiron all other sports don't sell based on their entertainment value. Its not about having a laugh, its about a contest of man v man, man v woman, woman v woman etc. Motorsport is one of these. Its like rowing but with your racing car as the boat. Rowing is as much about boat design as rower ability. You can't win if either isn't good. Motorsport is meant to be the same. These gimmicks take away any advantage and turn it into blind luck. Champ Car's push to pass was pathetic, KERS in Formula One is the same. Once everyone gets on the button it makes no difference.

The reason that this team are using KERS is slightly different. KERS is a gimmick but in F1 its to show the left wing greenists that motorsport is climate change friendly (that sounds so stupid....but lets just put aside my firm disbelief in human effects on climate change). This team is trying to emulate that. If anybody really believes that a KERS system like that employed in motorsport is going to help at all in any supposed climate change stuff, I've got the Sydney Harbour Bridge to sell them (currently retailing for AU$1 Billion). Gets me grumpy! :flame:

SteveH
05-09-09, 07:56 AM
I have my opinions and beliefs and I am firm in them. Gimmicks are killing motorsport, taking it from sport into some sort of lame attempt at entertainment.

well said, very well said indeed

miatanut
05-09-09, 11:39 AM
I have my opinions and beliefs and I am firm in them. Gimmicks are killing motorsport, taking it from sport into some sort of lame attempt at entertainment. That doesn't work. Excluding baseball, basketball and gridiron all other sports don't sell based on their entertainment value. Its not about having a laugh, its about a contest of man v man, man v woman, woman v woman etc. Motorsport is one of these. Its like rowing but with your racing car as the boat. Rowing is as much about boat design as rower ability. You can't win if either isn't good. Motorsport is meant to be the same. These gimmicks take away any advantage and turn it into blind luck. Champ Car's push to pass was pathetic, KERS in Formula One is the same. Once everyone gets on the button it makes no difference.

The reason that this team are using KERS is slightly different. KERS is a gimmick but in F1 its to show the left wing greenists that motorsport is climate change friendly (that sounds so stupid....but lets just put aside my firm disbelief in human effects on climate change). This team is trying to emulate that. If anybody really believes that a KERS system like that employed in motorsport is going to help at all in any supposed climate change stuff, I've got the Sydney Harbour Bridge to sell them (currently retailing for AU$1 Billion). Gets me grumpy! :flame:

The problem with KERS was its implementation. Mosley's original proposal was that the system would weigh 50 Kg, or something like that, and teams could cram as much power into it as they could, and use it as often as they liked. That would have separated the men from the boys. Then F1 politics got involved and the concept was dumbed-down.

To me, top-level racing is about experimenting with new concepts, and preferably they should be concepts which will eventually make road cars better. F1 seems to have lost that vision and is more concerned with maintaining the status quo. Fortunately the ACO is more open-minded.

To me, true old school is the environment of innovation we had in the '60's and '70's, and KERS is totally in that vein.