PDA

View Full Version : Model rocket

KLang
04-28-09, 09:37 AM
36 foot tall replica of the Saturn V lifting off. :)

Link (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1322)

Methanolandbrats
04-28-09, 09:45 AM
Looks like that could have gone very badly for a lot of reasons :eek:

Don Quixote
04-28-09, 09:46 AM
very cool. Dude has surpassed the N Koreans. :cool:

emjaya
04-28-09, 09:49 AM
Want. :cool:

dando
04-28-09, 10:01 AM
I'm surprised they received clearance to do this. :eek: :thumbup: I wonder if any of these guys were near Houston when a rocket was spotted last year by a couple of airline pilots. :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-28-09, 10:38 AM
The best way to receive clearance to do this, is to not ask permission. :D

dando
04-28-09, 10:41 AM
The best way to receive clearance to do this, is to not ask permission. :D

Well there's that, but that thing wasn't going to be unnoticed by the Feds, and shortly afterwards the guys in dark suits and no sense of humor will come looking for ya. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
04-28-09, 01:27 PM
I see air bubbles! Fake!

Very cool video. :thumbup:

Every year at/near the Bong Recreational park in WI (yes, it does exist. Wisconsin I mean.) they do a big rocket meet. They apparently do a lot of big shots with much air. I think the 5000 ft height is small for some of them, but they don't come in at 1600 lbs.

Yes, they clear it with the FAA.

Maybe this year I'll go. Not much in racing going on.

Andrew Longman
04-28-09, 01:29 PM
Friggin awesome! :D:eek:

I have rocket envy

oddlycalm
04-28-09, 02:27 PM
More rocket pics (http://www.rocketsmagazine.com/saturn-v-project/Gallery/)

Only thing more fun that a loud bang is a loud rocket. :thumbup:

I found the following information on the site of rocket engine provider Loki Research...

Every nozzle is engraved with a number indicating the throat size in 64ths of an inch. For example, a #24 nozzle has a 24/64" = 0.375" throat diameter. Isn't that nice? No more guessing what that nozzle in the bottom of your range box is.
Really? 64ths of an inch? Dudes, no more guessing would have meant engraving the size as 9.53mm or 0.357" so someone other than a carpenter with a high school education would know what it meant....:gomer:

oc

ferrarigod
04-30-09, 03:24 AM
Well there's that, but that thing wasn't going to be unnoticed by the Feds, and shortly afterwards the guys in dark suits and no sense of humor will come looking for ya. :gomer:

-Kevin

tell that to the astronaut farmer.