PDA

View Full Version : KERS Scrapped?

opinionated ow
04-26-09, 10:05 AM
KERS is apparently going to be scrapped if you believe the Australian commentators...wow! But ooooooh yeah. Take that hippy ecomentalists. Formula One with less gimmicks is a positive!

Edit: Found this (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74793). Flavio again...but who knows. There may be more to this

Methanolandbrats
04-26-09, 10:14 AM
KERS is apparently going to be scrapped if you believe the Australian commentators...wow! But ooooooh yeah. Take that hippy ecomentalists. Formula One with less gimmicks is a positive!:thumbup::thumbup: Dumbest idea ever, hang a big heavy lump of **** on the car to gain 80hp.

Insomniac
04-26-09, 03:12 PM
I hope they don't, and instead remove the stupid per lap usage limits. Limit it by battery weight (not capacity) only.

STD
04-26-09, 04:12 PM
Keep it and hook Max up to it. His next boneheaded move gets a well earned reward.

Trevor Longman
04-26-09, 05:11 PM
Keep it and hook Max up to it. His next boneheaded move gets a well earned reward.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cameraman
04-26-09, 05:18 PM
I hope they don't, and instead remove the stupid per lap usage limits. Limit it by battery weight (not capacity) only.

Except that the systems are designed around six seconds. The batteries & generation systems are optimized to the 80 bhp for 6 seconds spec. Remove the spec and everybody has to start over with a blank sheet of paper. $$$

Insomniac
04-26-09, 06:37 PM
Except that the systems are designed around six seconds. The batteries & generation systems are optimized to the 80 bhp for 6 seconds spec. Remove the spec and everybody has to start over with a blank sheet of paper. $$$

But the per lap thing? That has to be some kind of electronics. You should be able to discharge it if there's any energy stored.

miatanut
04-26-09, 09:04 PM

That was the original proposal, which they should have stuck with, and which they should change back to for next year. Some would do it well, some would fail, and it would put some real technical competition back into F1.

miatanut
04-26-09, 09:05 PM

Yes. $$ that are a lot more useful to the automotive industry than punching holes in diffusers and adding another diffuser over it.

emjaya
04-26-09, 10:31 PM
I think limits were put on the KERS systems in case it worked so well that the KERS car ran off in to the distance. Think turbo/atmo.

KERS is apparently going to be scrapped if you believe the Australian commentators...

That's where you lost me....

"Australia's" Greg Rust and Cameron "Yeah, well, I mean" McConville. All they know is what Peter Windsor tells them. :yuck:

opinionated ow
04-26-09, 10:48 PM
"Australia's" Greg Rust and Cameron "Yeah, well, I mean" McConville. All they know is what Peter Windsor tells them. :yuck:

Yeah...rolls eyes. Why can't one just broadcast the whole BBC coverage. I understand they need ads, so just stop the video play and ad or two and then continue the video again... Please!

In Australia, where I watched the Malaysian GP, coverage is in the hands of Channel 10, which rather pathetically tried to pretend that its two hair-gelled presenters were at the circuit. These two, with their occasional self-conscious claims to be "here in Malaysia," looked rather silly when they had to connect via noisy telephone line to Peter Windsor (who was, of course, actually at Sepang) for an update.
http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft21390.html

emjaya
04-26-09, 10:54 PM
Yeah...rolls eyes. Why can't one just broadcast the whole BBC coverage. I understand they need ads, so just stop the video play and ad or two and then continue the video again... Please!

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft21390.html

:rofl: It's not just us being mean, the whole world thinks they suck.

Insomniac
04-27-09, 04:17 PM
I think limits were put on the KERS systems in case it worked so well that the KERS car ran off in to the distance. Think turbo/atmo.

And the irony is that is what the super diffuser is doing now.

oddlycalm
04-27-09, 06:51 PM
Yeah...rolls eyes. Why can't one just broadcast the whole BBC coverage. I understand they need ads, so just stop the video play and ad or two and then continue the video again... Please

We aren't plagued by an awful broadcast team, Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett are quite good, but they do suffer from not actually being there. We also suffer from missing part of the race which would be easy to fix although it would make the broadcast 40-60 minutes longer.

Here's my favorite comment. :laugh:

The parting shot from Mr Hair Gel Number 1 was "Don't leave us whatever you do." I couldn't help wondering if he would dare to reflect on the irony of the fact that it was Channel 10 leaving us, not vice versa.

oc

Robstar
04-28-09, 12:29 AM
The parting shot from Mr Hair Gel Number 1 was "Don't leave us whatever you do." I couldn't help wondering if he would dare to reflect on the irony of the fact that it was Channel 10 leaving us, not vice versa.

I believe Mr Hair Gel Number 1 would be Greg "Australia's Mark Webber" Rust... :laugh:

emjaya
04-28-09, 07:55 AM
And the irony is that is what the super diffuser is doing now.

Not Red Bull, who don't have a double deck diffuser. :\

Insomniac
04-28-09, 10:06 AM
Not Red Bull, who don't have a double deck diffuser. :\

That's true. I have to give them credit. They have neither the super diffuser or KERS and are near the front.