PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory LBGP grandstand photos thread

pchall
04-22-09, 08:33 PM
Gotta hand it to Versus for not suppressing overhead shots that show Mr. Aluminum Fan not wearing his red hat. These screen capture hyperlinks were lifted from the LBGP thread at a certain IRL forum to remain nameless. :cool:

Lap 55 of 85

http://i44.tinypic.com/30dfl06.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/etut0m.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/70ytkl.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/1tjvqa.jpg

Andrew Longman
04-22-09, 09:16 PM
Was the crowd under the grandstands to get out of the sun?

Crap that is awful. That looks worse than cleveland 2-3 years before the end and before they started to rebound.

I'm too lazy to look. Any shots from last year? ;)

Sean Malone
04-22-09, 10:08 PM
that is what it looked like on TV also. The only full stands where the two right past the start/finish.

Methanolandbrats
04-22-09, 10:21 PM
My local 1/4 mile oval gets a bigger crowd than that on the night they race import beaters backwards.

extramundane
04-23-09, 08:40 AM
My local 1/4 mile oval gets a bigger crowd than that on the night they race import beaters backwards.

"Import beaters" might well describe the long-in-the-tooth Dallara/Honda combo at this point, so maybe Tony just needs to flip 'em around a bit. Reversus, if you will.

chop456
04-23-09, 08:44 AM
"Every fan gets their own personal car to root for!*"

*Odds of having an American driver to root for are approximately 10:1.

:tony:

/paff

Napoleon
04-23-09, 09:12 AM
Holy cow is that lousy attendance.

High Sided
04-23-09, 09:33 AM
I'm too lazy to look. Any shots from last year? ;)

this may be the 08' alms start?
http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Content/26/26359/16890770.jpg

Don Quixote
04-23-09, 09:57 AM
No amount of pollyanna tap dancing or blaming the economy can hide the fact that this series is not long for the world. Do you spose Honda mucky mucks are happy with this? :tony:

Napoleon
04-23-09, 10:19 AM
Do you spose Honda mucky mucks are happy with this? :tony:

No.

Is anyone reporting on other boards like Track Forum how attendance looked at the event? It must have had the feel of a ghost town.

indyfan31
04-23-09, 10:31 AM
No.

Is anyone reporting on other boards like Track Forum how attendance looked at the event? It must have had the feel of a ghost town.

Of course they are. From "their seats" the place was packed, way more people than last year. :rolleyes:

G.
04-23-09, 12:54 PM
They were at the john. And under the stands seeking shade.

Seriously. They're not even joking.

SteveH
04-23-09, 01:10 PM
Do you spose Honda mucky mucks are happy with this? :tony:

More importantly how does Toyota feel about this?

The saddest part is, I doubt if the attendance effects any of the sanction fees taken by the IRL, just the promoters. And we know who they are, don't we?

Insomniac
04-23-09, 02:54 PM
They were at the john. And under the stands seeking shade.

Seriously. They're not even joking.

I always wondered, do they even let people under the stands? That would seem like a restricted area given 1. collapse and 2. possibility to cause a collapse.

oddlycalm
04-23-09, 02:57 PM
It's all about the five hunnert and the rest are just the rest for TG. It's the USAC trail all over again. TG has always seen Long Beach as competition for his race. Anyone think he's going to shed any tears if it gets marginalized or killed off entirely? We've seen this before from his granddaddy and it was called the USAC Trail. :shakehead

oc

TrueBrit
04-23-09, 03:05 PM
Wow...that is just pathetic...

SteveH
04-23-09, 03:07 PM
I always wondered, do they even let people under the stands?

Not at Long Beach.

Don Quixote
04-23-09, 06:55 PM
More importantly how does Toyota feel about this?

The saddest part is, I doubt if the attendance effects any of the sanction fees taken by the IRL, just the promoters. And we know who they are, don't we? Maybe Toyota will bake a cake to celebrate the demise of the IRL. ;)

Don Quixote
04-23-09, 07:20 PM
This is pretty funny.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/indycar/2008/lb/indycar-2008-lb-jd-0285.jpg

Andrew Longman
04-23-09, 07:27 PM
This is pretty funny.

:rofl: That took effort, planning, stencil and a can of spray paint.

I'm surprised anyone cared enough to bother

pchall
04-23-09, 07:35 PM
This is listed at the LBGP site as the start of the 2008 Champcar race.

http://www.gplb.com/database/_files/photogallery/faafc_andyw_153.jpg

pitwall3
04-23-09, 07:58 PM

Looks like the same template used last year. :D

SteveH
04-23-09, 08:04 PM
Looks like the same template used last year. :D

Might never have been painted over since last year.

Trevor Longman
04-23-09, 10:32 PM
I will have to check the tivo and watch the ALMS race again but I think there were more people at the ALMS race than at the Indycar race. Also, to whomever painted the FTG on the wall, I salute you. :rofl:

Sean Malone
04-23-09, 11:09 PM
I will have to check the tivo and watch the ALMS race again but I think there were more people at the ALMS race than at the Indycar race. Also, to whomever painted the FTG on the wall, I salute you. :rofl:

Spicoli lives. :)

Insomniac
04-24-09, 10:53 AM

And track access!

TravelGal
04-24-09, 08:09 PM
To play devil's advocate here, the number of people in the stands by lap 55 of 85 is always down about 20% from initial attendance. Tt was shots earlier on that showed nearly empty stands down near the fountain and Bubba Gumps that should make their blood run cold(er).

Also, there was never anyone that I could see walking in front of the stands throughout the broadcast. (Yes, I watched it on tivo.) As the 2008 picture shows, that area was almost always packed with GA people trying to catch a glimpse of the action from a better vantage point.

'course I'm just guessing because I wasn't there this year, unlike the previous 18.

Fio1
04-24-09, 11:10 PM
I was there on Friday. I have to say that the demographics on the fans greatly went down-hill big time! No more Porsche & Ferrari type products in the expo area. Let's just say walmart should REALLY sponsor a car. ;)

The one thing that was better then CART was the spotter guy IRL handed out for free. Full color deal on card stock.

oddlycalm
04-25-09, 12:53 AM
I was there on Friday. I have to say that the demographics on the fans greatly went down-hill big time! No more Porsche & Ferrari type products in the expo area. Let's just say walmart should REALLY sponsor a car. ;)

So the fans that had supported the race for the previous couple decades stayed home and what was left were BiF and his cousins. Good recipe for an unrecoverable death spiral. :shakehead

oc

Fio1
04-28-09, 03:24 AM
Ya, it was pretty bad! It felt like a nascar race in Atlanta. Let's just say I had my hand on my wallet the whole time...:saywhat: Maybe, things improved on Saturday. Oh, and the cars looked REALLY slow thru the corners. It took me 10-minutes before I realised they were actually going full blast. :irked:

ALMS cars on the other hand looked great! The Acura LMP1 car is amazing looking, so it that BMW GT car. :eek: