PDA

View Full Version : 33 not just a number?

Trevor Longman
04-20-09, 04:46 PM
40 entries for the 500 this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74670

That's pretty good considering the current state of racing right now. Of course some of these cars probably won't show up unless Tony decides to give them some help. Fisher will probably have trouble entering 1 car let alone 2, same for Roth. 28 confirmed car/driver combination's thus far so you can be sure a few drivers will have been pulled from their sofas a week before bump day. Which I hope will be a bit more interesting this year because the last few years have sucked.

JLMannin
04-20-09, 04:55 PM
40 entries for the 500 this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74670

That's pretty good considering the current state of racing right now. Of course some of these cars probably won't show up unless Tony decides to give them some help. Fisher will probably have trouble entering 1 car let alone 2, same for Roth. 28 confirmed car/driver combination's thus far so you can be sure a few drivers will have been pulled from their sofas a week before bump day. I hope bump day will be a bit more interesting this year because the last few years have sucked.

The car/driver combos is the real important number to watch. If I read that oh-so-well-written article correctly, at this time last year, there were 29 car-driver combos. So one year after mergification, the number of car-driver combos is flat at best.

You are correct, there will be 33 drivers again - some of those last seven are waiting for a check to clear - either from the ride-buying driver or a check from TG to throw an additional car on the grid.

Of course, we are lead to believe that the sport is sooooooo healthy now that the latter is no longer required.

Methanolandbrats
04-20-09, 04:59 PM
I pucker just thinking about the intense bumping action. :thumbup:

ferrarigod
04-20-09, 05:24 PM
pretty sure entries were in the 80's in years past. They'll be lucky to have anyone to bump beyond 33.

dando
04-20-09, 05:31 PM
That TBA dude is gonna be busy driving that many cars. :gomer:

Trev, sorry to rain on your parade, but even if there are 40 entries, the gene pool is gonna really shallow @ the back of the field. :irked:

-Kevin

Tim
04-20-09, 05:48 PM
Garage space

pchall
04-20-09, 07:19 PM
Looks like some scraping of the bottom of the barrel there in addition to smoke and mirrors. 12 Tony's Bank Account Specials waiting for the checks to be cut. Most interestingly, the list does not include the assigned car numbers or any of the usual T car (back up) entries.

Trevor Longman
04-20-09, 08:31 PM
Trev, sorry to rain on your parade, but even if there are 40 entries, the gene pool is gonna really shallow @ the back of the field. :irked:

Oh I know but it's nice to have something for Jenkins and that other gomer in the Versus booth to get all excited about. Besides, won't you be glued to your TV waiting to see if Marty Roth will make it in? :gomer:

Andrew Longman
04-21-09, 01:00 AM
What will disappoint me is they are all running the same chassis, engine and tires and some will truly suck by comparison as they go flat out around the track.

The greatest question is who can trim it out the most and who had the most windtunnel development dollars. And then there is the talent thing.

TravelGal
04-21-09, 01:14 AM
That TBA dude is gonna be busy driving that many cars. :gomer:

-Kevin

Always is, Kev, always is.

Cain't wait ta see the dude with the fether. That be MR Petty to you. Factly speakin, it WILL be nice to see someone racin' older'n me.

Napoleon
04-21-09, 08:02 AM
Does someone have a car count from just before the split for comparison?

Oh I know but it's nice to have something for Jenkins and that other gomer in the Versus booth to get all excited about. Besides, won't you be glued to your TV waiting to see if Marty Roth will make it in? :gomer:

Is the Indy 500 (or qualifications) going to be on Versus and not ABC/ESPN?

TKGAngel
04-21-09, 08:09 AM

Qualies are on Versus, race on the Big Show.

And Versus will also be doing a show on Danica, to air during the week before the 500. Oh, joy. Oh, bliss. :rolleyes:

opinionated ow
04-21-09, 08:46 AM
Does someone have a car count from just before the split for comparison?

You're wish is my command:
http://www.champcarstats.com/races/199506.htm

56 cars. and if counted correctly 17 drivers didn't qualify despite some of them having multiple cars. Indy has been s***house ever since

Napoleon
04-21-09, 08:56 AM
. . . 17 drivers didn't qualify despite some of them having multiple cars.

I had totally forgotten that the Penske team DNQ that year. Ah, the good old days!

dando
04-21-09, 09:24 AM
I had totally forgotten that the Penske team DNQ that year. Ah, the good old days!

And Rahal the previous year. Despite a last-minute attempt in a Penske ride. So now we get Smoke posing in Foyt's garage for drama. :saywhat:

-Kevin