PDA

View Full Version : Vintage races

High Sided
04-17-09, 06:23 PM
just found that indycar.com has added full length broadcasts of the 1984 and 1995 long beach grand prix.

go to vintage races from this page...
http://indycar.neulion.com/indy/console.jsp

Andrew Longman
04-17-09, 08:12 PM
What's up with Marco's hair?

NismoZ
04-18-09, 11:02 AM
'95 Long Beach. Little Al at his best...took PT to school. PT gets pissed and...well, vintage PT.

Ruok
04-18-09, 01:26 PM
84 LB = Awesome

Apparently there is a big bump in T9?:D

Ligier - Curb - Cogan, a bit of trivia I have long since forgotten

Fun to see every aspect, including the cars (Lola, March, Gurney, Penske, etc) drivers (Teo Fabi, Uncle Villeneuve, Ganassi, John Paul Jr) sponsors (10 million from PPG) crews (Mo Nunn, Barry Green) the track, Penskes dropping out. Really highlights the inarguable devolution we have experienced from around 95 to now.

High Sided
05-30-09, 05:47 PM
1991 milwaukee up for viewing now

those really were the days :cry:

chop456
05-30-09, 06:39 PM
1991 milwaukee up for viewing now

those really were the days :cry:

The FIL had 6 tickets in turn 4 for about 15 years. Elbow-to-elbow and nary an upgrade to be found. The place was packed, the fields were big and the racing was great. There were more people there for time trials than the current race. Now they're reduced to "selling" tickets for the race at the price of the car number of the Indy winner. ($3). Let's see how many tens of thousands of people can't be bothered to fork over less than the price of a beer to watch the crap.

Thank goodness the idiot fixed things. :thumbup:

datachicane
05-31-09, 03:50 PM
Someone in the Gomerati command structure must still have a soul.
I was almost afraid to look at their archived CART races for fear of seeing a nasty TonyCar meatball branded on them.

It's a miracle! The Inheritor's braintrust is actually showing a product I'll happily watch! :rofl:

oddlycalm
06-01-09, 07:35 PM
It's a miracle! The Inheritor's braintrust is actually showing a product I'll happily watch! :rofl:

Not worth mentioning the fact that they had naught to do with the non-IMS races of course...:tony:

oc

trish
06-01-09, 09:57 PM
That 1995 Long Beach race was nothing like the ones I've seen in the last few years. I can see the attraction. What happened?

cameraman
06-02-09, 02:40 AM
That 1995 Long Beach race was nothing like the ones I've seen in the last few years. I can see the attraction. What happened?

Tony George started the IRL thereby removing the largest & most famous race from CART's schedule. It was all downhill after that.

trish
06-02-09, 06:19 AM
Well, I should have mentioned the lack of first turn wrecks and the level of professionalism from the drivers in their craft. Maybe this was just a rare occassion, I don't know.

High Sided
07-08-09, 11:07 PM
1993 Toronto up for viewing

High Sided
07-22-09, 08:56 AM
2006 champcar grand prix of edmonton up to view

High Sided
03-18-10, 06:11 AM
8UQdKHGjnhQ

pchall
03-18-10, 12:10 PM
While it lasted the racing on the "oval" at Jacarepaguá was spectacular and compelling. I'd like to see the current crew of IRL drivers after lapping that configuration at 160+ mph. :eek: But, alas, even the club level shortened road course that operated after the Pan Am Games redevelopment of the area will not survive the building projected for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer games.

Corner5
03-18-10, 04:22 PM
OOPS!

I thought you were talking about the present day Irl races.

In 2012 the Dallara will qualify to to race in the Indy 500

and the Historics/Vintage races, that's how old it is.

:gomer:

Winston Wolfe
03-18-10, 11:20 PM
WOW !!!!:eek:
that Blundell wreck in the 1996 Rio race (above) was one hell of an impact. I just remembered how fast he hit, and when you see it at full speed and hear just how hard he it, you realize that he was just a half turn of the steering wheel away from hitting like Gordon Smiley did at Indy, back in the day.... WOW.

OTOH, that was some seriously exciting racing, with Honda, Ford, MB powerplants turning out serious HP, and sounding AWESOME, and the level of advertising support and mix of drivers and countries was the best. Damn, every time I see these old races, it gets you pizzed that it aint there for us, and the product today is such a de-evolution of what is once was....

Those were the days !!! thanks for posting that link, the racing was great!

Easy
03-19-10, 12:13 AM
OOPS!

I thought you were talking about the present day Irl races.

In 2012 the Dallara will qualify to to race in the Indy 500

and the Historics/Vintage races, that's how old it is.

:gomer:

Its versatile!

But for real, that is a major indictment on, well almost everyone who has had a hand in running this sport for the last 25 years or more. Indy Car/National Championship/CART/AOW/whatever you want to call it racing will likely soon be (is?) BOSS with a few more paid drivers.