PDA

View Full Version : Harry Kalis: Outta Here

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 09:52 AM
Since this seems to be the theme for the day

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aVL0BNFvD6SM&refer=home

If you don't know Harry he is a legendary part of the Phillies/Philadelphia and in the Hall of Fame

dando
04-14-09, 09:58 AM
Since this seems to be the theme for the day

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aVL0BNFvD6SM&refer=home

If you don't know Harry he is a legendary part of the Phillies/Philadelphia and in the Hall of Fame

Don't forget the voice of NFL Films for the past 35 years as well. I've always enjoyed listening to him call games during the annual trek to OCNJ. Guys like Kalas, Harwell, Vin, Jack Buck, Harry Caray, etc. are a lost breed. :( Vin is starting his 60th season calling Dodgers games, but doesn't travel east of the Mississippi these days. :(

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 11:04 AM
Guys like Kalas, Harwell, Vin, Jack Buck, Harry Caray, etc. are a lost breed.

And Rizzuto was a broadcast breed unto himself. :D

I agree though. I don't much care for the next generation broadcasters. I find Buck's kid particularly annoying. They seem to want to be edgy and judgmental and too much part of the show. Kalis and the others you mention seemed like people you'd just want to sit next to at the game and share the afternoon and a box of popcorn with. Well maybe not Carey. He'd get spit and beer on you.

Of course the Phillies sucked so bad year after year that if he was judgmental he would have been a real whine.

dando
04-14-09, 11:55 AM

I agree though. I don't much care for the next generation broadcasters. I find Buck's kid particularly annoying. They seem to want to be edgy and judgmental and too much part of the show. Kalis and the others you mention seemed like people you'd just want to sit next to at the game and share the afternoon and a box of popcorn with. Well maybe not Carey. He'd get spit and beer on you.

Of course the Phillies sucked so bad year after year that if he was judgmental he would have been a real whine.

I found it difficult as a kid to pull in the NYC stations, but I listen to WFAN occassionally in OCNJ (the current NYY crew are awful, BTW). IIRC, it was around 760 on the dial, which was near WJW in Detroit. I would reglarly pull in WJW, WWWJ, KMOX, KDKA, WGN, and @lanta. Philly was difficult to get as well, but I would occassionally pull in a Dodgers game from there. It's amazing to think I could get radio from all those cities, but I can barely pull in the Tribe on the local affiliate on AM now. :irked: Oh, and I was recently in Orlando, waiting in a Publix parking lot @ 6:30am waiting for the store to open (don't ask), and I scanned the AM dial, and found a station talking about Eric Wedge and the Tribe. I'm thinking it most be the local affiliate that used to carry the Tribe sinced they used to train near Tampa. Turns out it was 1100 WWWJ (or whatever that has changed to) out of Cleveland. I could actually pull in 700 WLW (Cincy) and 1100 better than the local FL stations. :eek:

I listened to Vin for a few years on the Web before the MLB took over the streams from the teams. :mad: Of course I listened to a ton of Brennaman and Nuxhall on WLW as well. Back in the 70s and 80s they were fun to listen to, but Marty has grown bitter of the years, and Jeff Brantley (aka: Cowboy :saywhat:) is a train wreck. Somehow he grew a thick southern accent after his E$PN days. :shakehead I wish I could have listened to Uecker as a kid, that would have been a hoot (Juuuuust a bit outside). :)

-Kevin

nrc
04-14-09, 04:02 PM
NFL highlights won't be the same without him. He could make even the most meaningless game seem epic - as any Bengals fan knows. :(

RIP, Harry. Thanks for the memories.

Al Czervik
04-14-09, 04:12 PM

You have to separate Harry Carey's career into pre and post stroke. Pre stroke he was on his game and a very good announcer. Post stroke (late '80's on) he became a caricature of himself. If you ever get the chance, read Steve Stone's book on his years with Carey. Very entertaining.

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 07:55 PM
You have to separate Harry Carey's career into pre and post stroke. Fair enough. Until ubiquitous cable TV (WGN) and I was old enough to be traveling to Chicago for business, I didn't even really know who he was.

My comment wasn't meant as a slight BTW. I've gone to lots games with friends who get spit and beer on me. I've been sitting in the right field bleachers at the stadium since HS. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 08:06 PM
...but I listen to WFAN occassionally in OCNJ (the current NYY crew are awful, BTW).

The Yanks broadcast on WCBS. Mets on WFAN.

Yanks have had John Sterling and someone with him for at least 15 years.

John is a character. He's a homer. And he doesn't care. His goofy home run calls and is signature "THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN!!!!!!!!" is the deal. If you are a fan, the fun is just how ridiculous can he be. Not really any different than listening to Rizzuto go on for inning after inning about the hypothetical benefits of seedless watermelon or where to get the best canolis in Bergen county, while the Yankees were running around the bases. :D

_5hK90Itwb8

dando
04-14-09, 08:38 PM
The Yanks broadcast on WCBS. Mets on WFAN.

Yanks have had John Sterling and someone with him for at least 15 years.

I didn't say I listened to WFAN for the NYY. :p And yes, I've caught a few games with Scooter rambling on...I just caught the Seinfeld epi where George loses his keys and Rizzo keychain in a pothole. Holy Cow! :rofl:

63_om3r8Oas

It's the Waldman chick I've heard clips of that drives me nuts (the "Oh my Goodness!" clip when Rocket came back the last time comes to mind). :saywhat: IMO, both of them are over the top awful, but so are most New Yorkers. :gomer: ;)

Fdtn0Z4o8cM

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 09:24 PM
Suzyn has been a beat reporter with the Yankees for 15 plus years as well. She simply loves them and is prone to crying.

Yankees fans cut her some slack because she is well informed/connected in the org. She is prone to crying

I sometime cry too.

But she is nuts

chop456
04-15-09, 02:10 AM
A stupid, intentionally misspelled name is enough reason for me to dislike her. :gomer: