PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Mark Fidrych

chop456
04-14-09, 04:38 AM
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsjZZIZmFhnjA_e6pmlmT4nZn414?slug=ap-obit-fidrych&prov=ap&type=lgns)

On Monday, Fidrych was found dead beneath a 10-wheel dump truck by Joseph Amorello, a friend and owner of a road construction company who sometimes hired Fidrych. He was 54.

dando
04-14-09, 10:52 AM
I was just starting to really get into baseball about the time Fid came into the MLB (I can remember the '74 and '74 WS, tho). Can you imagine what the media would be like if Fid started pitching today? Holy Cow! :eek: </Scooter>

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-14-09, 11:15 AM
A real shame.

A guy who was always happy and optimistic ends his career and life way too soon

I suspect that with more modern training and medical procedures, certainly his knee and probably his shoulder problems would have been treatable.

I remember moving to MI in '77 for school. The kids from Detroit were so jazzed about Fidrych coming off his 76 season. Then he got hurt. I liked him but I was smug (and I'm sure an *******) because the Yankees were headed to their second Series in two years - this one they would win.

TravelGal
04-14-09, 03:32 PM
I hated reading about this. My only memory of him is a non-memory. I was in Detroit for a meeting. He was pitching that night. I couldn't get anyone to go to the old ballpark with me and I sure as H wasn't going out there by myself at night. Out, not being so bad but the late return to the hotel alone.... Don't think so. So I missed seeing him pitch in person. RIP, Mark.

Indy
04-14-09, 09:40 PM
Wow, I am floored. What a natural human being he was for a sports star.

Thanks, Bird, for the all the enjoyment you gave us kids.