PDA

View Full Version : Monitor issue.

mapguy
04-12-09, 03:37 PM
Don't know what is causing this one. When I boot up the machine and log in the screen is really dark. Then, usually, after five minutes or so it goes back to normal. I am not sure if it is a monitor issue or a video card issue. The monitor is a 5 year old samsung 17" flat panel. Video card is about a year old and is an ATI 1650. Unfortunately I do not have another machine to plug the monitor into to test.

Any ideas?

Insomniac
04-12-09, 04:31 PM
Don't know what is causing this one. When I boot up the machine and log in the screen is really dark. Then, usually, after five minutes or so it goes back to normal. I am not sure if it is a monitor issue or a video card issue. The monitor is a 5 year old samsung 17" flat panel. Video card is about a year old and is an ATI 1650. Unfortunately I do not have another machine to plug the monitor into to test.

Any ideas?

Does it start out real dark from when you initially turn it on? Does it ever go back to that state after it goes away? What happens if you turn it off in the dark state and turn it back on 10 minutes later? What happens if you turn it off in the normally lit state and turn it back on an hour later? Does it start out dim if you restart?

WickerBill
04-12-09, 04:47 PM
Troubleshooting: turn on the monitor 15 minutes before you turn on the PC.

When you turn on the PC:

Monitor dim? -- Video card problem.
Monitor bright? -- Monitor problem.

mapguy
04-12-09, 04:57 PM
Does it start out real dark from when you initially turn it on?

Yes.

Does it ever go back to that state after it goes away?

Not that I'm aware of.

Troubleshooting: turn on the monitor 15 minutes before you turn on the PC.

The monitor is always 'on'. I just turn off the pc when not using it.

I'll try those suggestions.

dando
04-12-09, 05:03 PM
Pants on or off? :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

mapguy
04-12-09, 05:33 PM
Pants on or off? :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

On. :finger: :p

Wierd. On boot-up the screen is normal (XP start-up) until it gets to the log in screen. Then it goes dark. 10 minutes later, it's normal.

Insomniac
04-12-09, 07:08 PM
The monitor is always 'on'. I just turn off the pc when not using it.

I'll try those suggestions.

That is interesting. Most people I know turn off both or just the monitor. I can't think of anyone who leaves the monitor in standby with the PC off.

cameraman
04-12-09, 08:10 PM
I can't think of anyone who leaves the monitor in standby with the PC off.

Me. I have a monitor I plug into my powerbook at work. I never turn it off as it goes to sleep after 30 seconds of no signal.

Insomniac
04-12-09, 09:56 PM
Me. I have a monitor I plug into my powerbook at work. I never turn it off as it goes to sleep after 30 seconds of no signal.

Still interesting. :) I guess quite a few people do it. Monitors used to display "no signal" if they could detect it. To be honest, I know mine does, but I don't know if it eventually goes away. I just turn it off since an orange light is also on in standby.

nissan gtp
04-13-09, 04:38 PM
sounds like the backlight is getting weak

mapguy
04-13-09, 05:03 PM
sounds like the backlight is getting weak

Yup, either that or it is the power supply. Funny thing is that when it is 'dark' the cursor is still bright white....

mapguy
04-15-09, 06:59 AM
Well, I got a new monitor. (Nice HP 23" HD...) and the problem still occurs.

Video card?

chop456
04-15-09, 07:23 AM
Probably. Just get a standard old-school one to test it. If that one works, return the monitor and use the money for a new card. :D

Methanolandbrats
04-15-09, 08:23 AM
Format the hard drive and then install a new driver for the video card.

dando
04-15-09, 09:04 AM
Well, I got a new monitor. (Nice HP 23" HD...) and the problem still occurs.

Video card?

Either that or perhaps a cable issue (unlikely). Seems odd, but not unpossible, for the video card to become wonky after just a year. You might also try booting up sans pants. ;)

-Kevin

stroker
06-02-12, 09:36 PM
found this thread in a search.

My flat screen Acer monitor may be dead. I've had it for 3.5 years and the warranty is for 3. I'm assuming like most electronic stuff these aren't economically "fixable". Any suggestions?

My computer was acting like mapguy's but one of the hard drives had seized solid.

cameraman
06-03-12, 02:55 AM
I've got a LaCie 324i that is a really, really nice monitor.
But it ain't inexpensive.

Insomniac
06-03-12, 08:21 AM
Aside from troubleshooting (connect to another machine, connect a different one to your machine, check the cable if it did't work on another machine), like many things you have a very wide range. They vary in contrast ratio (actual) and color reproduction. Same sizes have different resolutions. The good thing, 3.5 years later, they are a lot less expensive. You'll have to take a look to see what size/resolution you're most comfortable with. Either way, you'll likely want to adjust the settings once you bring a new one home.