PDA

View Full Version : I don't smoke meat

SteveH
04-05-09, 08:24 PM
A thread for the rest of us (not that there's anything wrong with that :D)

I have a Weber Kettle, a Weber Smokey Joe (I used to take this to races - back when I had races to go to :() and a built in gas grill. Rumor has it that spring will be making an arrival one of these days/weeks/months and I'm looking forward to firing up the Weber and indirect cooking a pork roast or a couple of chickens. For a pork roast I usually add hickory chips. Chicken, probably mesquite. Sometimes hickory on the chicken. Thick cut pork chops are great also. Once or twice I've done roast beef on the Weber but I think I'd be better served with a lesser cost cut of beef. And once did a turkey but I wasn't that impressed. The problem was the charcoal taste that the meat picked up. I know there are ways to mask that or even eliminate it. But we're not big turkey fans so its doubtful I'll repeat. No special recipes to share but I thought maybe others here would have some. So fire away.

oddlycalm
04-05-09, 09:15 PM
I know exactly what you mean and the good news is that it can be cured. Hardwood charcoal that is fully carbonized has no flavor at all, it's like cooking on an electric or gas grill. :thumbup: Time to ditch the briquettes. Even low rent natural lump charcoal like Cowboy (from Lowes) does a better job. Problem with the briquettes is that they are made from a combination softwood that contain resins and binders like coal tar and wheat chaff that result in the off flavors commonly referred to as "charcoal" taste. Lighter fluids add to that.

It takes a bit of looking around to see what brands are sold where you live.
charcoal database (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprank.htm)

Probably more than you wanted to know, but it's the only way to get rid of that charcoal taste without switching to gas or electric. Add a little wood and you'll have a clean sweet taste.

oc

Methanolandbrats
04-05-09, 09:30 PM
Kingsford Mesquite brought up to cooking temp by Citgo 87 octane is the only way to grill. The initial fireball yields a nice even, indirect fire if coals are on one side of the grill :thumbup:

SteveH
04-05-09, 10:03 PM
Kingsford Mesquite brought up to cooking temp by Citgo 87 octane is the only way to grill. The initial fireball yields a nice even, indirect fire if coals are on one side of the grill :thumbup:

Is there any other way :gomer:

:laugh:

oddlycalm
04-05-09, 10:23 PM

Ah yes, my childhood. :D I can still hear the whump when dad lit it off. :thumbup: Just not the same since they took the tetra-ethyl lead out... :gomer:

The part I like best about Kingsford is that it was started by Henry Ford to keep his idiot son-in-law, E.G. Kingsford busy and away from him. :tony: They used the lumber scraps from the Ford body works in the early years.

Now it's owned by Clorox and is right here in Orygun. This mountain of fir and hemlock.... oooops, I mean mesquite sawdust is coming to grill near you.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/thatkewlgirl/Kingsfordview-1.jpg

Insomniac
04-05-09, 10:53 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread for vegetarians. :D

anait
04-06-09, 01:42 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread for vegetarians. :D

You have a much cleaner mind than I do.

nrc
04-06-09, 02:00 AM
First steaks of the season on the grill! :thumbup:

Don Quixote
04-06-09, 09:09 AM
We grilled a flank steak in a blowing snow last night. Marinated it in a mixture of red wine vinegar, ponzu soy sauce, lime juice, red chili, garlic and fresh ginger. This recipe goes into the regular rotation. :thumbup:

Insomniac
04-06-09, 09:23 AM
You have a much cleaner mind than I do.

I didn't realize that's what the other thread was. ;)

dando
04-06-09, 09:32 AM
First steaks of the season on the grill! :thumbup:

@ 2am? :eek: :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

cameraman
04-06-09, 09:45 AM
Hardwood charcoal that is fully carbonized has no flavor at all
I had an annoying problem with the Wild Oats hardwood charcoal last season, it wasn't fully carbonized so random bits would burn like a campfire. It made even cooking very hard. Now that Whole Foods has taken over we shall see if things have improved any.

If it ever stops snowing that is. Alta got 141" of fresh powder over the last two weeks:eek:

nrc
04-06-09, 01:22 PM
@ 2am? :eek: :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Still enjoying the afterglow. It had SearMagic!

SteveH
04-06-09, 01:33 PM
Is Sear Magic related to Seafood Magic from Paul Prudhomme?

I do grill shrimp quite often. On skewers, brushed with melted butter (never use margarine) then I sprinkle on Seafood Magic (http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=365&iteminfo=1&productID=181). The more you add, the more magic you'll have. :D I've had the best luck with 36/40 size shrimp. These are perfect to put on the grill as you start steaks since they finish so quickly and serve as great appetizers. Or I'll often do an entire pound and that will be the main course.

nrc
04-06-09, 01:47 PM
Is Sear Magic related to Seafood Magic from Paul Prudhomme?

SearMagic(TM) is what MHP calls their aluminium cooking grates. We kid about it because it does sound like something you'd buy on late night TV, but it really does a nice job of putting a sear on the meat. It's also easier to cook on and clean up than your typical grates.

oddlycalm
04-06-09, 02:11 PM
Now that Whole Foods has taken over we shall see if things have improved any

Good new for Ice Station Utah. Whole Foods private labels Cowboy for $4.99. Lights easy, burns hot, doesn't last long. It's my go to brand for grilling, not for Q. Not a lot of fines and very little ash. Lowes carries Cowboy but it's $2 more for the very same 8.8lb bag of coal. :thumdown:

oc

JLMannin
04-06-09, 02:47 PM
I prefer the Royal Oak lump charcoal over Cowboy. As some here have mentioned, the cowboy burns real hot, real fast - not what I want.

Methanolandbrats
04-06-09, 03:07 PM
I had an annoying problem with the Wild Oats hardwood charcoal last season, it wasn't fully carbonized so random bits would burn like a campfire. It made even cooking very hard. Now that Whole Foods has taken over we shall see if things have improved any.

If it ever stops snowing that is. Alta got 141" of fresh powder over the last two weeks:eek:

If Whole Paycheck took over, does the charcoal cost more than the meat? :gomer:

meadors
04-06-09, 06:22 PM
Ah yes, my childhood. :D I can still hear the whump when dad lit it off. :thumbup: Just not the same since they took the tetra-ethyl lead out... :gomer:
Sounds just like my childhood.

Now it's owned by Clorox and is right here in Orygun. This mountain of fir and hemlock.... oooops, I mean mesquite sawdust is coming to grill near you.

Where is the Kingsford plant? Royal Oak has a plant down here in White City. Drove by this morning on my way to hike Table Rock..
Found it in Springfield. Odd, there seems to be a lot of soot on the roof.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/thatkewlgirl/Kingsfordview-1.jpg

oddlycalm
04-07-09, 09:48 PM
Found it in Springfield. Odd, there seems to be a lot of soot on the roof.
Yup, that's it, Marcola Rd in Springfield. Aside from the sawdust mountain it has all the charm of a mini oil refinery.

oc