PDA

View Full Version : "Let's go Emergency"

Brickman
04-05-09, 06:23 PM
Well... last week I had gone to see my doctor because of a nagging "little" cough I had picked up on the way home from vacation. I'll post about that wonderful cruise later.

Now mind you I'm a pretty healthy person, I may joke around at SmackWorld about unhealthy eating etc, but I'm in pretty good health, never smoked, haven't had the flu since 1986 and colds and bugs ehhh, flu shot? What for? My wife told me when I complained about my cough that in the 13 years she has known me, I don't know what sick even is, that was going to change.

Anyways off to my physician I went, I had never met her, she replaced my other Dr. some 5 years ago. Sure enough I had a slight case of pneumonia. Prescribed some meds, gave me an oral inhaler, 5 days of meds and I should be good to go... home I stayed, TV, videos and not even driving, the night of the 4th day of recovery my cough increased and so did my use of the inhaler, I simply needed to get back to see my doctor.

I was sore from coughing on Monday and had a less than restful sleep, so on Tuesday I did the medicine thing, used the inhaler as it was needed from the morning cough, cleaned up and climbed in the truck and drove to the medical center. My wife who works in the complex was actually going to meet me there, since there were no openings with my primary care physician, so Urgent Care was my destination. Half way there (10 minutes) my breathing became more difficult... I took some more inhales and relief didn't come. I should have pulled over and called 911, but this was uncharted territory for me. Next stop light some more inhales on the Allbuterol inhaler, pace of breathing rapidly increasing.

Parked the truck at the Medical Center which attached to the hospital, grabbed my meds and Blackberry and started walking. 7 parking stalls later I had to stop, gasping for air, uh oh, "be calm" I told myself, my wife texts me 8:53AM "standing in line" I text but do not send "let's go Emergency"... gather myself up, 7 more stalls, gasping... and send it. Needless to say I'm in trouble.

What a surreal thing looking at people walking to and from cars on a beautiful sunny morning and feeling like I'm going to die in the parking lot of a hospital. For a million dollars I could not have yelled for help.

All I could think was b-r-e-a-t-h and I ****ed up. Uh oh does she know where I am? I text 8:55AM "In parking lot back"... I get "ON MY WAY"... "NEED WHEELCHAIR?"... 8:56AM "Yes"... I make it 10 more stalls, she calls, I don't even put the phone up to me ear... I gasp "can't talk"... finally I'm off of the parking lot, on the sidewalk, leaning on a trash can, I made it. I looked in the distance and could see a person pushing a wheelchair my way, once I saw it was her I steadied myself and held on. I followed her instructions in sitting down. Off to the Emergency Room we go.

Pass over the medical card, and I was in the ER doors and on a gurney in less than 3 minutes. They put oxygen on me, an IV in me, took about 4 tubes of blood and 2 more for cultures, give me an IV push, wired me for EKG, check blood pressure... 224/145... and I'm trying my best to breathe in the oxygen. Well... my wife figured I would have respiratory failure or a stroke... being in the medicine field isn't always a blessing, because you know what the numbers mean, the meds being used, and know what can and does go wrong.

They stuck a nebulizer in my mouth and I had three consecutive treatments of Allbuterol/Atrovent... over the next 3 hours blood pressure slowly coming down, 201/106... 193/92... 170/94. I was on 4 liters of oxygen and my saturation was 96%. The Dr. had asked for permission to intubate my airways do if needed, a road I really didn't wish to go down, but would beat harvesting organs anyday.

Finally I stabilized, I was literally clinging to the gurney rails for hours, picking my chest up to breathe easier, they rolled me out of the ER at 1:05PM. I hadn't spent a day in the hospital since the day I was born. I was admitted to the hospital and I was there from Tuesday - Friday. After all the treatments, blood test results and xrays they decided I had a combination of Pneumonia and RAD {Respiratory Airway Disease}, the phlegm I was coughing up on the ensuing days was as green as a spring day grass.

Friday afternoon arrives and trip to the pharmacy and 8 prescriptions later I was heading home. From now on I'm treating doctor visits like dentist visits, every 6 months for regular checkups. You know we take 20,000+ breaths a day and until I had that day, I never much paid attention to it, sometimes it's the simple things.

Finally home. I didn't advertise getting sick, so my single "You better get well" card sent to me when I was in comparison... in pretty good condition, made me smile from ear to ear and closed out my week with a great big smile.:)

trish
04-05-09, 06:30 PM
Let me be the first to say that I'm glad you're not dead. That sounded pretty scary and I hope you are doing better. Do you think you got sick on the plane (assuming you had to take one to get to your cruise)?

indyfan31
04-05-09, 06:50 PM
Brickman, good to hear you're better, and of course not at room temperature.
Good narrative by the way. Two things struck me about it. One, a few years ago you'd have been SOL without a Blackberry. I would've never thought of one of those little boxes as a lifesaver, but here you are.
And two, you're view of the incident while it's happening. Not many people get to tell what it's like to almost die, it's makes for pretty gripping storytelling.
Anyway glad you're ok. :thumbup:

SteveH
04-05-09, 08:09 PM
Breathing pretty much beats all other options. Keep it up. :thumbup:

WickerBill
04-05-09, 08:52 PM
Good to hear you're good, Brick.

Last January, I flew to Mexico City on business, had a reasonably good trip, came home, and a few days later I was having some nasty breathing troubles. Never had asthma or anything else like it in my life. I waited six days to see a doctor, until it was so severe I was probably a day or so away from where you ended up in the parking lot. Looking back, it was really a stupid thing to assume I could "fix it" by taking OTC meds for the symptoms. I had double pneumonia and some bronchitis-like virus, and I was being Mr. tough guy, assuming it would go away. More careful now, for sure. Especially after trips.

Listen to Brickman, people... at least about things other than racing...

:)

Brickman
04-05-09, 08:56 PM
Let me be the first to say that I'm glad you're not dead. That sounded pretty scary and I hope you are doing better. Do you think you got sick on the plane (assuming you had to take one to get to your cruise)?

I'm better off blaming it on the plane than on one of those wonderful cruise ships. I'm just glad I didn't get sick on the cruise, although we practically take our own drug store with us I will be checking out the Dr. facilities next cruise.

Trip was to Panama, but I had no strange bugs in the blood and all tests have come back clean. I may be getting the pneumovax vaccination in the future, seems once you get pneumonia you are much more at risk.

Brickman
04-05-09, 08:56 PM
Good to hear you're good, Brick.

Last January, I flew to Mexico City on business, had a reasonably good trip, came home, and a few days later I was having some nasty breathing troubles. Never had asthma or anything else like it in my life. I waited six days to see a doctor, until it was so severe I was probably a day or so away from where you ended up in the parking lot. Looking back, it was really a stupid thing to assume I could "fix it" by taking OTC meds for the symptoms. I had double pneumonia and some bronchitis-like virus, and I was being Mr. tough guy, assuming it would go away. More careful now, for sure. Especially after trips.

Listen to Brickman, people... at least about things other than racing...

:thumbup:;)

trish
04-05-09, 08:59 PM
I'm better off blaming it on the plane than on one of those wonderful cruise ships. I'm just glad I didn't get sick on the cruise, although we practically take our own drug store with us I will be checking out the Dr. facilities next cruise.

Trip was to Panama, but I had no strange bugs in the blood and all tests have come back clean. I may be getting the pneumovax vaccination in the future, seems once you get pneumonia you are much more at risk.

Good luck finding the doctor on a cruise.

Brickman
04-05-09, 09:06 PM
Brickman, good to hear you're better, and of course not at room temperature.
Good narrative by the way. Two things struck me about it. One, a few years ago you'd have been SOL without a Blackberry. I would've never thought of one of those little boxes as a lifesaver, but here you are.
And two, you're view of the incident while it's happening. Not many people get to tell what it's like to almost die, it's makes for pretty gripping storytelling.
Anyway glad you're ok. :thumbup:

If it weren't a blackberry, I really would have been in trouble.

I didn't think I was in any chance of dying... ONCE I was in ER, but blue sky, birds chirping with my face slapping the asphalt was a real possibility.

I think I wasn't careful enough and educated enough when it comes to an attack on my lungs, seeing the Dr. probably made me too secure. People go through far more serious illnesses and have real brushes with death, but sometimes it's the stupid ones that can bite you hard.

Brickman
04-05-09, 09:15 PM

That ship's medical center was deck 4 same as embarkation, top deck was 16 and I was staying on 10, with all the elderly thay have on some ships I'm sure they have the equipment, but how good the staff is I have no idea. I have an interest in finding out though.

Methanolandbrats
04-05-09, 09:34 PM
Those ships are a big petri dish. The ship bugs usually don't attack your lungs though, they trash your GI tract.

oddlycalm
04-05-09, 09:56 PM
What a surreal thing looking at people walking to and from cars on a beautiful sunny morning and feeling like I'm going to die in the parking lot of a hospital.

Glad you're here to complain about it, that's always the prime directive. :thumbup: If you haven't had a Pneumonia shot you might want to consider one. Seriously, once you've had it you are considerably more susceptible for the next few year because of the scar tissue that remains. My pulmonary scarring is from radiation, and it's an extreme situation, but the same rules apply. You don't want to get it again.

Quite a ride when your BP and pulse are already elevated and they hit you with a large dose of a cardio stimulant like Albuterol. :eek: Like pouring gasoline on a fire. In your situation they had to do it to shrink swollen airways and just hope they didn't blow up your heart in the process. When your lungs aren't working it stresses your heart in a big way.

Hard to determine when things are going to go from OK, I can get there to uh oh, I'm not going to make it isn't it? Medical folks never mind having someone arriving that is not quite as bad as they thought they might have been. It's the folks on the other side of that decision that make for unpleasant days. It's impossible to know how bad it will be in 10 minutes but if you guess wrong it'll be too late to matter. :(

Get some rest. :thumbup:

oc

Insomniac
04-05-09, 10:52 PM
That is a crazy story. Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

G.
04-06-09, 01:49 AM
Glad it turned out ok.

nrc
04-06-09, 02:09 AM
Happy to hear that you came through ok. Thanks, that's another excuse to avoid cruises - cruise ship lung fungus. :)

mapguy
04-06-09, 05:35 AM
Good to hear everything is ok Brick.

When I first read the title I thought that Roy and John came to the rescue...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/475199961_19f71a63bf.jpg

Sean Malone
04-06-09, 11:10 AM
Thanks for sharing your story brick. Glad you're on the mend. I think I'll stay within the 49 for awhile. Make that the contiguous, I have no reason to go to Alaska either. :)

Brickman
04-06-09, 01:14 PM
OC I will be getting the shot, you sure got the number on this one, the blood pressure would have been really sky high if they hadn't been simultaneously been throwing in the bllood pressure meds... I had the Kids in the Hall "crushing your head" feeling coming on...

Thanks for sharing your story brick. Glad you're on the mend. I think I'll stay within the 49 for awhile. Make that the contiguous, I have no reason to go to Alaska either. :)

Now Sean & nrc the Travel Lady here might not like this thread one bit, taking a relaxing cruise can usually be pretty good. Constant use of hand sanitizers, not eating in the buffet, not touching handrails always seems to work. Could easily have been the guy hacking away behind me on the flight home.

Mappy I wish that was the subject, a TV remake or Roy & John come to the rescue, not a believer of abusing the service even if my insurance has it covered, but I won't be so stupid

ChampcarShark
04-06-09, 02:03 PM
glad you are back with us.

Now image going thru the same at least once a month for 5 consecutive months, this time the doctors telling you they do not know what is going on...
Thank God we have mexico really close, a mexican doctor was able to get the right diagnosis and here I am.

I know what you went thru and praise the lord you are OK.

JLMannin
04-06-09, 02:55 PM
I'm glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I've been mulling a smartphone purchase for some time - I think you just convinced me to do it.

EVL29
04-06-09, 04:14 PM

You just follow the babes,they'll lead you to the doctor.

http://www.thequarter.org/issue14/BernieKopell.jpg

Brickman
04-07-09, 11:43 AM
I'm glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I've been mulling a smartphone purchase for some time - I think you just convinced me to do it.

Blackberry has been berry berry good to me. ;)

In closing I need to say something about the hospital.

I go to https://www.kaiserpermanente.org/

As an HMO they are as efficient as any health organization.

Baby boomers were born from the end of WWII until 1960. Medical care demand has yet to peak for the boomers as we age not so gracefully with our poorer than average health, higher than average weight. Shortages of nurses, doctors, pharmicists etc. has driven salaries and care sky high.

Only 4%- of the hospitals in this country use electronic record keeping, they have it all.

After they wheeled me into the room I was flooded by nurses, nurses aides, respitory care. After a 5 minute discussion they decided to have a rapid response team look in on me during the first 24 hours, so that instead of just a nurse responding, medicating, every 4 hours, they brought in a "rapid response" nurse from ICU {Intensive Care Unit} every 2 hours. I was asked questions and computer at their fingertips information was inputed.

Every nurse change {12 hour shifts} I was reidentified, vitals taken, limb movement observed, checked for swelling. Every 4 hours I was checked, blood taken at 5 in the morning. A pharmacy tech refilled the locked medicine box every morning.

Before every medication the bar code on my wrist band was scanned and likewise with the medication, if they matched I got the treatment. Be it shots, pills or IV pushes, and an explanation was given. They were professional and caring.

I am in good health so this whole damn thing was a very different experience to say the least. I only have a high cancer risk, my mother had her first colon cancer at age 42, and was a 4 time cancer survivor, so it's colonoscopies every 3 years for me instead of every 5.

As great as they were, I have no desire to be back for 25++++ years if even then. But if I do, I will be more confident than ever that they will do the right job.

To you and yours good health. :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
04-07-09, 03:42 PM
Welcome back from the abyss, Brick. Man, the way I text, I would have been done for. Nice under the gun micro-typing, man!:thumbup:

dando
04-07-09, 03:54 PM
Blackberry has been berry berry good to me. ;)

In closing I need to say something about the hospital.

I go to https://www.kaiserpermanente.org/

As an HMO they are as efficient as any health organization.

Baby boomers were born from the end of WWII until 1960. Medical care demand has yet to peak for the boomers as we age not so gracefully with our poorer than average health, higher than average weight. Shortages of nurses, doctors, pharmicists etc. has driven salaries and care sky high.

Only 4%- of the hospitals in this country use electronic record keeping, they have it all.

After they wheeled me into the room I was flooded by nurses, nurses aides, respitory care. After a 5 minute discussion they decided to have a rapid response team look in on me during the first 24 hours, so that instead of just a nurse responding, medicating, every 4 hours, they brought in a "rapid response" nurse from ICU {Intensive Care Unit} every 2 hours. I was asked questions and computer at their fingertips information was inputed.

Every nurse change {12 hour shifts} I was reidentified, vitals taken, limb movement observed, checked for swelling. Every 4 hours I was checked, blood taken at 5 in the morning. A pharmacy tech refilled the locked medicine box every morning.

Before every medication the bar code on my wrist band was scanned and likewise with the medication, if they matched I got the treatment. Be it shots, pills or IV pushes, and an explanation was given. They were professional and caring.

I am in good health so this whole damn thing was a very different experience to say the least. I only have a high cancer risk, my mother had her first colon cancer at age 42, and was a 4 time cancer survivor, so it's colonoscopies every 3 years for me instead of every 5.

As great as they were, I have no desire to be back for 25++++ years if even then. But if I do, I will be more confident than ever that they will do the right job.

To you and yours good health. :thumbup:

Glad to hear you survived and are on the mend, Brick.

BTW, the latest and greatest hospital here is all electronic and appears more like a spa than a hospital:

http://www.ohiohealth.com/homedublin.cfm?id=404&fr=true

Unfortunately I've found myself going there recently for tests due to a reflux issue. :irked: :( This getting old **** sucks. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-08-09, 07:18 PM
Good GRIEF! I leave for a week and look what happens! Bricky, my GOODNESS! :eek:

To echo Trish, I'm glad you're not dead. I mean, who would they have to Smack around over there?

As to travel, there really are some decent hospital facilities onboard some of the cruise ships. And real staff doctors, not the rentadocs that some lines use. As for being petri dishes, at least you can open [most of] the windows, unlike an airplane where you are stuck next to or, worse, in front of the Harry the Hacker. I also think that ships do more to sanitize between and during sailings than planes do. Lots of statistics on ships, none that I know of on planes.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. You really made me think seriously about getting a blackberry.

oddlycalm
04-09-09, 02:25 PM
unlike an airplane where you are stuck next to or, worse, in front of the Harry the Hacker. I also think that ships do more to sanitize between and during sailings than planes do.

True, and it seems like Murphy's Law mandates that they seat me next to Johnny Bubonic or Bobby Birdflu who sniffle, sneeze and yawk stuff up throughout the flight. On my last flight to Toronto there was a group of 10 that had made a connection from Asia and all of them were seriously sick, Nice for the rest of us. :thumdown:

I like Singapore's approach. Everybody goes through the body scanner and those with elevated temperatures are excused from proceeding. :thumbup: People obviously don't have the common sense or courtesy not to travel while sick to why not take the decision out of their hands?

oc

Sean Malone
04-09-09, 02:36 PM
True, and it seems like Murphy's Law mandates that they seat me next to Johnny Bubonic or Bobby Birdflu who sniffle, sneeze and yawk stuff up throughout the flight. On my last flight to Toronto there was a group of 10 that had made a connection from Asia and all of them were seriously sick, Nice for the rest of us. :thumdown:

I like Singapore's approach. Everybody goes through the body scanner and those with elevated temperatures are excused from proceeding. :thumbup: People obviously don't have the common sense or courtesy not to travel while sick to why not take the decision out of their hands?

oc

Commie. ;)

Insomniac
04-09-09, 02:37 PM

Part of that is the non-refundable aspect of travel. Maybe the person can delay the travel, but it'll cost them dearly. What does Singapore do when you can't fly?

oddlycalm
04-09-09, 06:01 PM
Part of that is the non-refundable aspect of travel. Maybe the person can delay the travel, but it'll cost them dearly. What does Singapore do when you can't fly?

If you're arriving they send you back where you came from. It's not just airport prevention, they use at all points of entry. They implemented it during the last bird flu epidemic and it worked. Bird flu spread all through the rest of Asia, and made it as far as Canada and Europe, but nobody in Singapore got sick.

oc

WickerBill
04-09-09, 09:03 PM
OTOH, if you chew gum in Singapore, your gum and $90 are removed from your person and you can go ahead on your way. :)

Insomniac
04-10-09, 10:25 AM
If you're arriving they send you back where you came from. It's not just airport prevention, they use at all points of entry. They implemented it during the last bird flu epidemic and it worked. Bird flu spread all through the rest of Asia, and made it as far as Canada and Europe, but nobody in Singapore got sick.

oc

So you have to buy new tickets to travel again?

OW
04-10-09, 06:02 PM
How can you prevent this?

If you say (maybe) it was the airplane not the cruise... what happened to all the others on the plane?

VERY glad you are ok.....

But still VERY confused...

ow

Andrew Longman
04-11-09, 08:55 AM
OTOH, if you chew gum in Singapore, your gum and $90 are removed from your person and you can go ahead on your way. :)

I recall the first time I flew into Singapore. As we are preparing for descent they had us filling out the custom entry cards and it read something to the effect that if you are bringing in drugs or pornography you could be punished by death.

I thought it would have been a much better thing to tell me that before I boarded. :)

Insomniac
04-11-09, 12:18 PM
I recall the first time I flew into Singapore. As we are preparing for descent they had us filling out the custom entry cards and it read something to the effect that if you are bringing in drugs or pornography you could be punished by death.

I thought it would have been a much better thing to tell me that before I boarded. :)

I'd hope you could surrender it upon arrival to customs.

Andrew Longman
04-11-09, 01:21 PM
I'd hope you could surrender it upon arrival to customs.

That wasn't overtly offered as an option. Best you could probably do is to leave it in someone else's seat pocket :laugh:

oddlycalm
04-11-09, 04:26 PM
So you have to buy new tickets to travel again?

If you are legitimately ill and present a letter from a doc the airlines won't charge you for changes. Oddly enough, they don't actually want you infecting their personnel and other passengers.

Singapore's approach is extreme but it's recognition human nature has some major blind spots. If people are determined to go somewhere they tend to go regardless of consequences to themselves or others.

Unfortunately, it's no different for pilots. One of the top accident causes in general aviation year in and year out is proceeding into known dangerous weather conditions. Human nature seems to place arbitrary schedule or convenience above potentially life or death issues on a regular basis. :gomer: They beat it into you during pilot training at every level and it still happens with depressing regularity. Going now is always more important to us that going safely.

oc

Insomniac
04-11-09, 05:45 PM
If you are legitimately ill and present a letter from a doc the airlines won't charge you for changes. Oddly enough, they don't actually want you infecting their personnel and other passengers.

Singapore's approach is extreme but it's recognition human nature has some major blind spots. If people are determined to go somewhere they tend to go regardless of consequences to themselves or others.

Unfortunately, it's no different for pilots. One of the top accident causes in general aviation year in and year out is proceeding into known dangerous weather conditions. Human nature seems to place arbitrary schedule or convenience above potentially life or death issues on a regular basis. :gomer: They beat it into you during pilot training at every level and it still happens with depressing regularity. Going now is always more important to us that going safely.

oc

I did not know this. I had to cancel a business trip for medical reasons. The CSR apologized, said that I can rebook and the cost would be the difference in fare plus $50. Booking it a couple days later on such short notice, you can guess what the difference in fare was. Fortunately for me, it was business.

SteveH
04-11-09, 06:06 PM
If people are determined to go somewhere they tend to go regardless of consequences to themselves or others.

Case in point, flights to/from Orlando and anywhere in the midwest during a school break. If you don't come down with some kind of upper respiratory infection while you're down there, you will when you get back.

TravelGal
04-12-09, 06:18 PM
I did not know this. I had to cancel a business trip for medical reasons. The CSR apologized, said that I can rebook and the cost would be the difference in fare plus $50. Booking it a couple days later on such short notice, you can guess what the difference in fare was. Fortunately for me, it was business.

CSR?

Rules may be different in Canada than the US but the "doctor's letter" has long since disappeared here, at least for domestic travel. Every now and again, you can get an international airlne to give you a break but we don't count on that either. That's what travel insurance is for. If you travel often for buiness, maybe your employer would think a yearly plan would be cost-effective.

Insomniac
04-12-09, 07:12 PM
CSR?

CSR = Customer Service Representative

Rules may be different in Canada than the US but the "doctor's letter" has long since disappeared here, at least for domestic travel. Every now and again, you can get an international airlne to give you a break but we don't count on that either. That's what travel insurance is for. If you travel often for buiness, maybe your employer would think a yearly plan would be cost-effective.

And that's why people fly sick. :)

I doubt my employer cares. The clients pay the bills and we're generally prudent. Some things are unavoidable. If it costs us a client, they weren't a client worth having.

Brickman
04-21-09, 01:51 PM
Well… this time I called 911.

Short version: I’m a compliant patient so took ALL my 15 days of meds that ended Friday, went to Cup race in Phoenix, paced myself, even took elevator up to seats. Drive home Sunday, eventful, flat, traffic, trip home took 3 hours longer than usual.

Monday coughing increasing, off to urgent care, checked in 1:06, blood pressure ok, EKG ok, an inhaler dose of Zopenex clears up the lungs. Chest xrays… fine and dandy. Pick up new prescriptions and out the door, get a small burger at 3:42 and go home.

Dose myself some Zopenex at 4:28, not feeling it open the lungs like at urgent care, text my wife if I don’t feel better tonight by 10 we can go back. Pour some more Zope into the nebulizer… here we go again. Simply frickin can’t breathe…

Call 911

Text my wife at 4:52 that I called 911. “ok I’ll be calm” she replies.

Standing and leaning on the computer monitor looking out the window and quickly the Paramedics arrive, can’t talk sentences, just exhale out answers, no, no, no, meds on table, they hear no air getting into the lungs 226/126 such a frickin joy. Transport to ER, iv, oxygen, 2 more doses… finally getting air. By 5:27 we were 8 blocks from hospital ER.

Patched my sorry ass up with steroid pushes and iv antibiotics and two more breathing treatments and more xrays. $5 co-pay and out the door at 11:03PM. The doctor that saw me has been there for 20 years, asked great questions, but doesn’t have a clue what the cause is.

See primary Wednesday for hospital stay follow up and she will get me a specialist so I can get off this merry go round.

indyfan31
04-21-09, 02:12 PM
Well… this time I called 911.

...... they hear no air getting into the lungs 226/126 such a frickin joy.....

:eek: That would scare the crap out of me.
Good for you for having a procedure in place and following it. :thumbup:

SteveH
04-21-09, 02:37 PM
Whoa. Yep, you need some tests to figure out what is wrong. Good luck.

racermike
04-21-09, 02:53 PM
I had mild "walking pneumonia" a few months ago around Christmas. Was not very fun as with antibiotics and rest could not shake it for 4-5 weeks.

Anyone that gets it that does not have inhaler yet, a cup of BLACK coffee (no cream/sugar) has natural antihistamines in it, and helps stimulate your airway into opening up

oddlycalm
04-21-09, 03:16 PM
See primary Wednesday for hospital stay follow up and she will get me a specialist so I can get off this merry go round.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that Brick. Having your airways are suddenly slam shut isn't a fun drill. The strain on your heart with the pulmonary hypertension it creates isn't fun either. At 226/126 you're right up against the rev limiter and then some.

The easy short term solution would be 150mg of prednisone but since they don't know if the underlying cause is infection they can't do that because the steroids aggravate infections. Good luck with the process and I hope they get you sorted out.

oc

TravelGal
04-21-09, 05:25 PM
This definitely falls into the category of learning more than I ever wanted to know about lung disease. Hate that Bricky is sick but you guys sure know a lot about it.

Changing the flat couldn't have helped. Call the dammmmn AAA next time. :gomer:

Seriously, make sure that blackberry is fully charged at all times and take care of yourself!!!! Fortunately, the wife will remain calm at all times. ;)

G.
04-21-09, 05:53 PM
dayum. Get well.

Brickman
04-21-09, 06:49 PM
Ugh! Sorry to hear that Brick. Having your airways are suddenly slam shut isn't a fun drill. The strain on your heart with the pulmonary hypertension it creates isn't fun either. At 226/126 you're right up against the rev limiter and then some.

The easy short term solution would be 150mg of prednisone but since they don't know if the underlying cause is infection they can't do that because the steroids aggravate infections. Good luck with the process and I hope they get you sorted out.

oc
Yep

Doing the 40mg per day, had an iv push of 125mg, but couldn't take 150 daily of course because one's adrenal glands would shut off and then I would really be in the soup. Also on Doxycycline.

Yea hitting the rev limiter twice in a month is enough for the next 30 years. I will be seeing a specialist. I'm doing nothing the next two weeks. Maybe I'll go see Star Trek 10 times.

trish
04-21-09, 07:11 PM
I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on. All of this sounds scary. I'll keep you in my thoughts and take care of yourself.

JLMannin
04-21-09, 07:18 PM
Brickman,

A somewhat similar situation happened to my father in law a few years back - he had the shortness of breath (not sure about the scary high blood pressure) and he was treated as if he had allergy-induced asthma. Well, it just got worse. Finally was admitted to the hospital, doctors started going down the congestive heart failure treatment route. A young doctor who has recently read some recently published research on untreated sleep apnea wondered if that could be the cause.

He was referred to a sleep clinic where they were going to monitor his sleeping all night, but decided after 45 minutes they had all the data they needed to make the diagnosis and sent him home. He was fitted with a CPAP device (continuous positive air pressure), he stopped snoring, got restful sleep, and his breathing symptoms went away. Not sure if this helps you in any way, but you may want to ask your family if you snore loudly at night.

Brickman
04-21-09, 08:10 PM
Brickman,

A somewhat similar situation happened to my father in law a few years back - he had the shortness of breath (not sure about the scary high blood pressure) and he was treated as if he had allergy-induced asthma. Well, it just got worse. Finally was admitted to the hospital, doctors started going down the congestive heart failure treatment route. A young doctor who has recently read some recently published research on untreated sleep apnea wondered if that could be the cause.

He was referred to a sleep clinic where they were going to monitor his sleeping all night, but decided after 45 minutes they had all the data they needed to make the diagnosis and sent him home. He was fitted with a CPAP device (continuous positive air pressure), he stopped snoring, got restful sleep, and his breathing symptoms went away. Not sure if this helps you in any way, but you may want to ask your family if you snore loudly at night.

Thanks! Spouse say I don't snore, but the Dr. did ask, now I know why. That would be my brother, I even got an inverter

http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/image/products/big-pics/371308b.jpg

so he can run his CPAP {face monkey} device when we go to races. Believe you me I wish that was it. A lot of health problems for those who snore who don't have that device. The first group of blood work shows nothing, and the second group take a few days longer.

TKGAngel
04-21-09, 09:01 PM
Take care of yourself, Brickman. You (and your fam) are in my thoughts.

Just watch for the mood swings with such a large prednisone dose. When I was on a dose like that, I would go from zero to b*tch in less than 30 seconds.

Brickman
04-22-09, 08:05 PM
Post Infectious Acute Bronchiolitis {not bronchitis}

Well that's what the Pulminary Specialist thinks it is after reviewing the electronic charts while conferring with my primary care Dr.

Pulminary test scheduled, more presciptions picked up, the specialist will look at the results and review the xrays and hopefully put this puppy to bed. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
04-22-09, 10:11 PM
Just watch for the mood swings with such a large prednisone dose. When I was on a dose like that, I would go from zero to b*tch in less than 30 seconds.

Da, da, da, da, da, da......aggression, da, da, da, da, da, da, da..... aggression...:laugh:

Know the feeling. On the positive side, I recall getting a lot done. :D

On the serious side, preventing acute pulmonary failure is #1 and the toxicity of the steroids is just the price admission. I was on 150mg/ day for 9 months. I know transplant patients that have taken over 1000mg a day for the first couple days after transplant. :eek:

oc

dando
04-24-09, 11:45 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/04/23/respiratory-illness-flu-mexico.html

Canadians who have recently returned from Mexico should be on alert for flu-like symptoms that could be connected to a severe respiratory illness, federal health officials said Thursday in issuing a travel advisory.

A severe respiratory illness appears to have infected 137 people in south and central areas of Mexico, with cases concentrated in Mexico City and three other areas, including 20 deaths, the Public Health Agency of Canada said.

In the United States, health officials in Texas and California were scrambling this week to deal with a new strain of swine flu, which has been diagnosed in seven people.

The states share a border with Mexico not far from a town where two deaths were reported.

-Kevin

G.
04-24-09, 01:30 PM

Interesting...

[off to check wife's medicine cabinet]

dando
04-24-09, 02:00 PM
[off to check wife's medicine cabinet]

@ least TKG has an excuse.....my wife not so much. :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

Brickman
04-24-09, 05:35 PM

-Kevin

Indeed.

Had contacted my Travel Agent the other day to see if any other cruise passengers came down ill with similar symptoms. None were. But she sent me the same news article this AM.

Tim
04-24-09, 06:23 PM
Did the paramedics hook you up to the small machine that can read all your vitals?

Brickman
04-24-09, 08:18 PM
Did the paramedics hook you up to the small machine that can read all your vitals?

I was so out of it... I haven't the slightest, I just wasn't going to sit down until I was on the gurney and on my way. I'm not sure what they even looked like.
http://infinitecoolness.com/store/coolposters/personalities/emergency/emergencytvposter001.jpg

trish
04-24-09, 08:20 PM
I was so out of it... I haven't the slightest, I just wasn't going to sit down until I was on the gurney and on my way. I'm not sure what they even looked like.
http://infinitecoolness.com/store/coolposters/personalities/emergency/emergencytvposter001.jpg

That's Randolph Mantooth on the right!

oddlycalm
04-25-09, 12:15 AM

Update that to a possible pandemic alert.

The worrisome new virus — which combines genetic material from pigs, birds and humans in a way researchers have not seen before. World Health Organization spokesman Thomas Abraham said. "We have what appears to be a novel virus and it has spread from human to human ... It's all hands on deck at the moment."

OK, so that's not good.

resperiatory virus epidemic (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/med_swine_flu;_ylt=AlvMJiS_HAlEPRmfX6pUJRV34T0D)

I'm still liking those body temp scanners Singapore has at all points of entry.:thumbup:

oc

oddlycalm
04-25-09, 12:16 AM
That's Randolph Mantooth on the right!

:rofl: :thumbup: Nice. That's not a name I ever thought I hear or see again.

oc

trish
04-25-09, 12:34 AM
:rofl: :thumbup: Nice. That's not a name I ever thought I hear or see again.

oc

From my early days of soap opera watching. He was on Loving. :D

trish
04-25-09, 06:20 PM
Hey Brickman! How are you feeling today?

TravelGal
04-25-09, 06:42 PM
Update that to a possible pandemic alert.

OK, so that's not good.

resperiatory virus epidemic (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/med_swine_flu;_ylt=AlvMJiS_HAlEPRmfX6pUJRV34T0D)

I'm still liking those body temp scanners Singapore has at all points of entry.:thumbup:

oc

Definitely a case for Fringe or Eleventh Hour.

Here's hoping Bricky doesn't have to call in House!

Brickman
05-07-09, 04:02 PM
Hey Brickman! How are you feeling today?

Lousy...

Weakness just like mononucleosis, tired, work 60-120 minutes a day and then rubber legged & I'm done, also loss of appetite, (that will upset spicoli) .

Go in for some Pulmonary Function Testing later today.

Other than that the sky is blue, my new garage is almost completed and the temperature outside is 98, it's a beautiful spring day! Life is good. :thumbup:

Thanks for asking.

TravelGal
05-08-09, 02:44 PM
Go in for some Pulmonary Function Testing later today.

And the update is??????????????

Brickman
05-08-09, 08:40 PM
And the update is??????????????

Back to Dr. on Monday.

Ehhhh so is life.

trish
05-08-09, 09:41 PM
Back to Dr. on Monday.

Ehhhh so is life.

My memory is bad and I'm lazy, so sorry if this has already been covered but, have you gotten a second opinion? Maybe it's time to see someone else.

TravelGal
05-09-09, 01:01 AM
My memory is bad and I'm lazy, so sorry if this has already been covered but, have you gotten a second opinion? Maybe it's time to see someone else. Emphasis added

I've been thinking the same thing, Trish. I guess I wanted to be the second one to say it. This is serious and seems to have Bricky on a slow but steady decline. Just because he isn't collapsed, does not mean he is getting better. I'm concerned.

--signed, a concerned poster. (snork, couldn't resist)

G.
05-09-09, 01:33 AM
seriously winky, get that stuff fixed.

I thought maybe panic attacks, but with the run-down weakness stuff, maybe notsomuch.

Brickman
05-09-09, 01:22 PM
seriously winky, get that stuff fixed.

I thought maybe panic attacks, but with the run-down weakness stuff, maybe notsomuch.

Truthfully I am so content and laid back one would have to pay me to panic about anything.

I'm just hoping that "this" is the illness and it's not a symptom of something else. {knock on wood}

G.
05-09-09, 01:42 PM
Truthfully I am so content and laid back one would have to pay me to panic about anything.

A misconception of what causes panic attacks.

A buddy of mine started suffering from them, quite out-of-the-blue. Very laid-back guy, and very debilitated by them.

Get well anyway.

Brickman
05-09-09, 06:36 PM
A misconception of what causes panic attacks.

A buddy of mine started suffering from them, quite out-of-the-blue. Very laid-back guy, and very debilitated by them.

Get well anyway.

Oh I understand them as I have discussed chemical imbalance that comes with panic attacks wondering if indeed that was the cause of the breathing problems. I ask a lot of questions.

Not having had anxiety attacks or panic attacks I can only hope that I would not be affected adversely. Although I have seen someone become unglued from them. Not pretty.

Thanks

Brickman
05-12-09, 01:44 AM
Well...

Specialist is running more blood tests to see if it's Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever. Which is a fungal infection usually brought on by breathing in fungi from the soil. My home is located in what was once an orange grove, but it can be picked up from other sources of fungi.

Or

Post Infectious Acute Bronchiolitis which is brought on from a previous infection. The body has turned against itself in a way, creating an inflammatory response.

So actually {this is a good one} one hopes that it is the Valley Fever, because if it isn't a CT scan will be ordered. IF it is Bronchiolitis the best treatment will be years on prednisone {hip replacement in 10 years so says my Pharm D}.

Added prescription Advair...

"Advair contains fluticasone and salmeterol. Fluticasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances that cause inflammation. Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing."

Stay home, rest, rest, don't go to http://www.laketahoeconcours.com/ because of travel and altitude which really makes me mad because "Blonde Deck Runabouts" were the featured boats. No Sears Point same weekend.

Also I'm :shakehead suppose to go see PT win the 500. I hate it when Dr's shake their heads.

I forgot to ask him if I can start drinking scotch again. :mad: {I'm starting to get grumpy about this whole thing}

Other than that life is good and I don't have to do yard work, lift a frackin finger, BBQ for the 4th, take my 5th wheel down to San Diego for my wife's friend to use... go to weddings or graduations. Yep, getting grumpy.

cameraman
05-12-09, 04:14 AM
Just wait until you see the price tag on that Advair, now that will take your breath away.:eek:

TravelGal
05-25-09, 01:20 AM
Any further updates?

I thought they had already ruled out Valley fever. It was one of the first things I thought of and NOT because I'm from "the Valley." Because it pops up here in CA at the most unexpected times.

Brickman
08-21-09, 01:25 PM
PSC. {posterior subcapsular cataract}

A frackin cataract. Although associated with long term steroid use, it dinged my left eye.

Other than that Advair is berry berry good to me... will be reducing dose in October.