04-02-09, 07:48 AM
ron needs more of ze punishment

gerhard911
04-02-09, 08:23 AM
:rofl:

I can't wait to hear the Spud announce team's reaction :cry:

stroker
04-02-09, 08:25 AM
The FIA's beginning to make USAC look competent.

extramundane
04-02-09, 08:25 AM
The FIA's beginning to make USAC look competent.

Beginning?

NismoZ
04-02-09, 08:52 AM
"This is embarrassing for McLaren but very good fortune for Toyota." Well, I'm glad they explained that. I wasn't sure.:rofl: Still, was Hamilton hosed for "letting Trulli repass" as a sign of sportsmanship, or perhaps fearing punishment for passing even though Trulli had slid off? Sounds like it was an attempted cover-up by McLaren after the fact that screwed themselves over? Was the first illegal pass any more legal than the second illegal pass? Toss
'em both!:)

Methanolandbrats
04-02-09, 09:13 AM
Serves the round headed, cheating, lying, photocopying bastard right. :thumbup:

TrueBrit
04-02-09, 10:47 AM
I am shocked I tell you, SHOCKED, that the FIA would take points away from the McLaren team....:shakehead

High Sided
04-02-09, 10:53 AM
here's a link that includes radio transmission between lewis and team, interview with speed, and transcript of radio transmission. sounds like a big "oops" to me.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/f1_stewards_decision.aspx

Accipiter
04-02-09, 11:04 AM
n the end it doesn't matter what Hamilton said becasue the Stewards had available to them, but did not use, conclusive evidence of what occured and therefore failed to make the right decision. It is completly their fault that this came down to a twice changed belated decision. Martin Whitmasrsh had this to say about the incident:

"As soon as that happened, we then spoke to Race Control, to explain that and ask if we could retake that place. At the time, understandably Race Control was busy and they were not able to give us an answer. We asked several times, but clearly they were very busy. So we had to then deal with it. We felt it would be resolved by the stewards after the race.

I don't find it understandable at all that race control could be too busy to deal with something so fundimental as the running order of the cars on the track. That is after all the absolute essence of racing. If they had all their people focused on the Vettle/Kubica incident and track safety, then they need to reorganize so that there are people who's sole job is to moniter the running order and nothing else. If they had that, then the result would have been; Button, Barrichello, Hamilton, Trulli, etc. with no need for penalties or appeals, and we would have seen the right guys on the podium and in the interview room. That every other racing series in existence besides F1 can do this kind of thing without any trouble should be an embarassment to the FIA.

Insomniac
04-02-09, 01:04 PM
Did McLaren protest Trulli passing Hamilton in the first place?

Fio1
04-02-09, 01:15 PM
This is so lame. Trulli went off, Hamilton slowed, then passed him. When Trulli got going again he then slowed and let Trulli back by. What's the issue? It should be Trulli third & Hamilton 4th. End of story. They sorted it out on the race track.
No passing under yellow, but if the guy goes off what are you supposed to do? What if he breaks down, are supposd to stop and wait until he gets out of the car before passing him? :rolleyes:

Accipiter
04-02-09, 01:48 PM
When Trulli went off, under the rules, any places he ceded should have been lost permanantly. McLaren being understandbly gun-shy about crossing the Stewards lethim back by, which they shouldn't have. Then Hamilton lied about it... But all that's beside the point. All that matters is that the stewards once again failed to make the proper call in a timely fashion.

Methanolandbrats
04-02-09, 01:50 PM
I'm just so happy Ron, his tidy palace, their *****y car and their round headed, cheating, overrated chosen one are getting what they deserve :thumbup: Never been a more crooked team in F1, ever. Hopefully they will get caught cheating again and be excluded for 2009. Not that it would matter much since they will be fighting for P15 or so :rofl:

Hard Driver
04-02-09, 02:24 PM
The FIA is a frickin joke.

So just to be clear...

Trulli screws up and goes OFF TRACK UNDER A SAFETY CAR.

Hamilton passes him to keep from stopping in the middle of the track.

Hamilton then does slow and lets Trulli by, but of course this also means that Trulli had to willingly go by.

Then McLaren try to do it "by the book" according to the radio transmissions. They ask race control for clarification. And for their efforts only Mclaren is disqualified.

How about race control being disqualified because they were unable to do their job and answer a simple question during the race that would have resolved the whole issue.....what is the proper running order?

The only fricking issue that should be being decided is the same fricking question that should have been answered in seconds during the fricking race, should the order be Hamiltion - Trulli or Trulli - Hamilton.

Andrew Longman
04-02-09, 02:58 PM
When should I expect the finishing order of this or any F1 race to be final?

Methanolandbrats
04-02-09, 03:04 PM
When should I expect the finishing order of this or any F1 race to be final? Approx two weeks after they throw the checkered rag. That's when the tribunal meets in Paris.

oddlycalm
04-02-09, 03:19 PM
The FIA Stewards were reconvened in Kuala Lumpur with African delegate Surinder Thatti replacing Czech Radovan Novak.

This pretty much says it all. Max's squad of third world lawyers once again demonstrate what they are made of... :laugh: Unfortunately, Bulgarian delegate Grakuz Nardak was forced to withdraw after being detained on charges of human trafficing. :\

Where is Juan Antonio Samaranch when you need him....:gomer:

oc

Methanolandbrats
04-02-09, 03:25 PM
This pretty much says it all. Max's squad of third world lawyers once again demonstrate what they are made of... :laugh: Unfortunately, Bulgarian delegate Grakuz Nardak was forced to withdraw after being detained on charges of human trafficing. :\

Where is Juan Antonio Samaranch when you need him....:gomer:

oc

Human trafficing makes sense, it is a complementary business to Nazi Hookers. Sort of a B to B deal......Bulgeria to bondage.

Don Quixote
04-02-09, 03:26 PM
ron needs more of ze punishment This post kills me. :rofl:

G.
04-02-09, 06:19 PM
I am shocked I tell you, SHOCKED, that the FIA would take points away from the McLaren team....:shakehead

did they give them to Ferrari?

oddlycalm
04-02-09, 06:31 PM

No. In a stunning development the race stewards have kept the points for themselves. :confused: Word is they will be sold to the highest bidder in a silent auction in later this month...:\

oc

TrueBrit
04-02-09, 11:36 PM
So, Lewis and McLaren get screwed by local race stewards? Again.

Good to see that the "pinnacle of motorsport" has got things figured out...

:rolleyes:

TrueBrit
04-02-09, 11:41 PM

Nope...unfortunately Team FIA had managed to break both of it's cars by that time...which may well explain the confusion at the end of the race whereby the locals realized, much to their horror, that their penalty would actually ELEVATE McLaren, which is DEFINITELY against the rules, and without a red car in the field to promote, simply threw the sliver car out...

:gomer::tony::gomer:

opinionated ow
04-03-09, 12:49 AM

No....two of them are permanent stewards. the third is a rotational appointment.

TrueBrit
04-03-09, 02:07 AM
No....two of them are permanent stewards. the third is a rotational appointment.

They might be permanent but you got what type of " ards" wrong...substitute the 'stew' with 'bast' and you'd be correct...

extramundane
04-03-09, 08:56 AM
McLaren Sporting Director suspended by team (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7980593.stm)

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said [Dave] Ryan had not been "entirely full and truthful with the answers he gave" to the stewards and had left the team with "no alternative but to suspend him. [...]He made a very serious error of judgement and is paying the consequences for that."

Insomniac
04-03-09, 09:34 AM
This would only make sense to me if:

Trulli goes off track and Hamilton passes him rightfully (but unknowingly)
McLaren unaware that Trulli went off told Hamilton to let him back by
Trulli passes Hamilton because Hamilton makes it clear he wants him to
McLaren files a protest that Trulli passed Hamilton under yellow/safety car and omitted/denied they let him by

If no protest was filed and the FIA initiated the mess, they should've just restored the original result. If a protest was filed by McLaren after they let Trulli by (causing the problem), then I can see a penalty. McLaren shoul've kept the position and offered to give it back if needed. I'd rather argue that we asked you with 3 laps to go and were ready and willing to give the position back but you sat on your hands. At most, I'd expect the court of appeals to change the finish order given McLaren tried to find out what the right thing to do was.

indyfan31
04-03-09, 09:47 AM

I'll have to remember to use that excuse the next time I get caught in a lie. :laugh:

STD
04-03-09, 11:05 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74202

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74180

Insomniac
04-03-09, 11:42 AM

Hamilton, who received applause by a number of journalists at the end of the short press conference

Real professional.

NismoZ
04-03-09, 12:01 PM
So, now I'm lost again. What precisely is the Hamilton lie? The DQ is for the lie, NOT for anything done on the track? The team manager is let go AND the DQ is for not telling the truth at the inquiry? Nothing to do with the race? Hamilton is DQ'd for letting a guy repass because he was told to, then hold his position until things were sorted out with the stewards? That was a mistake!

I'm still of the opinion Trulli threw away 3rd place when he slid wide under yellow, Hamilton's pass was NOT illegal, but letting Trulli REpass was the logical and correct thing to do and the brainiacs running the race would have been justified in leaving Hamilton in 3rd. (sort of a re-repass?) The original penalty to Trulli was of course unjustified, but sliding off on cold tires is it's OWN penalty, a driving mistake that should have cost him that ONE position. Where was Hamilton's ON TRACK intentional/punishable mistake? I don't see one. What if a guy hits the kill switch by mistake or something and loses TEN positions? Can he just zoom back past 10 guys and resume his "rightful" spot? A 3-4 placing for those two (either way) would be far preferable to the 3-DQ they finally came up with..."in the sport's interest."...PS, how many cars did Bobby Unser pass under yellow (AND under the white line) to "win" the '81 500?

Andrew Longman
04-03-09, 12:27 PM
...PS, how many cars did Bobby Unser pass under yellow (AND under the white line) to "win" the '81 500?

At least seven, but some say thirteen.

JoaSAlkjCBQ

FSp0yfiTSUY

And I'm confused too.

Hard Driver
04-03-09, 01:01 PM

I knew that when McLaren "Decided not to protest" that they in fact had done exactly what the stewards had claimed, when in the meeting and lied to the stewards.

Since you can not let people get away with that, a penalty is appropriate. However, I think it should be a fine, not something the effects the race.

Because not you are getting politics deciding the race results. The car was driven to the finish legally. Sure penalize a position for cheating on the car. But for after the fact lie about letting someone pass should be a punishment that does not effect the race result.

Elmo T
04-03-09, 03:16 PM
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090403150029.shtml

David Coulthard told Bild that controversial episodes like this often mark out the differences between good drivers and great ones.

"There are always the drivers who see things only for themselves," the Red Bull advisor and TV pundit said. "Ayrton Senna was one, Michael Schumacher as well, and Lewis is probably made the same way."

Is this a compliment?

And for the German take:

Germany's Bild newspaper made light of the saga by publishing a photo of Hamilton with a photo-shopped Pinocchio-style nose, above the headline 'The lying champion'.

NismoZ
04-03-09, 06:11 PM
Cute. Stuff like that always helps explain things. Very helpful.:rolleyes: "Too hot a pursuit of one's effort to find the truth often leads them to disregard other truths equally important." Or something like that. The act itself was a 25 sec. penalty for Jarno, lying about it after the fact is a DQ for Hamilton? A World Championship is potentially decided by confused stewards. Not good. Lewis is certainly not blameless for his part in the investigation to FIND the truth, but the steward's decision FAR outweighs in potential consequence BOTH driver's actions on the track. Out of balance, I think. Finis!:)

Rogue Leader
04-03-09, 07:29 PM
Real professional.

Looks like Dave is taking one for the team... Thanks Lewis :rolleyes:

cameraman
04-03-09, 07:47 PM
Looks like Dave is taking one for the team... Thanks Lewis :rolleyes:
Good ole Dave was standing right next to Lewis spouting the exact same line. No need to thank Lewie, Dave was in fully in it of his own accord.

STD
04-03-09, 07:59 PM
Team players.

Insomniac
04-04-09, 09:34 AM
Cute. Stuff like that always helps explain things. Very helpful.:rolleyes: "Too hot a pursuit of one's effort to find the truth often leads them to disregard other truths equally important." Or something like that. The act itself was a 25 sec. penalty for Jarno, lying about it after the fact is a DQ for Hamilton? A World Championship is potentially decided by confused stewards. Not good. Lewis is certainly not blameless for his part in the investigation to FIND the truth, but the steward's decision FAR outweighs in potential consequence BOTH driver's actions on the track. Out of balance, I think. Finis!:)

It's the first race. It will be revisionist to blame this on losing a championship after 17 races.

Rogue Leader
04-04-09, 10:24 AM
Good ole Dave was standing right next to Lewis spouting the exact same line. No need to thank Lewie, Dave was in fully in it of his own accord.

After this and the 2007 Debacle poor Bruce McLaren is rolling over in his grave.....

NismoZ
04-04-09, 12:47 PM
Revisionism is no more a dirty word than discrimination. It's how it's applied that is important. I believe if Hamilton loses the title by a point or two, to ANYbody, he can point to the DQ as the reason why he finished second. Saying he was sorry he lied at the inquiry or made a huge mistake doesn't change the (main?) reason he lost the title. Sure, race #17 is a long way off and a lot more can happen but as tight as some seasons have ended up, a single dnf or a dq can be good reason for ALL the difference. I don't know the FIA rules and I guess the penalty was applied accordingly, all I'm saying is that punishment was way out of proportion to the "crime." Bet he never does it again, though!:D...oops, FINIS.

Insomniac
04-04-09, 01:33 PM
Revisionism is no more a dirty word than discrimination. It's how it's applied that is important. I believe if Hamilton loses the title by a point or two, to ANYbody, he can point to the DQ as the reason why he finished second. Saying he was sorry he lied at the inquiry or made a huge mistake doesn't change the (main?) reason he lost the title. Sure, race #17 is a long way off and a lot more can happen but as tight as some seasons have ended up, a single dnf or a dq can be good reason for ALL the difference. I don't know the FIA rules and I guess the penalty was applied accordingly, all I'm saying is that punishment was way out of proportion to the "crime." Bet he never does it again, though!:D...oops, FINIS.

There will be so many things that happen over the course of the season that will result in him (and others) not earning the maximum 10 points. All of those things are reasons for not winning a championship. You're fixating on this because you don't agree with what happened.

On an aside, I still wonder if McLaren protested or the stewards looked into it themselves. If it's the latter, was it a lie of omission or blatant? I suppose either way, if you talked about Trulli re-passing you and you don't say how/why it's technically omission, but it is blatant.

oddlycalm
04-04-09, 05:34 PM
This is far from over. Starting to look like McLaren will be hauled in front of the FIA's Tribunal Of Third World Lawyers. :gomer: :rolleyes:

oc

STD
04-04-09, 05:43 PM
History continues to look more kindly toward Balestre.

SteveH
04-04-09, 08:23 PM

sad, but true :(

STD
04-04-09, 09:13 PM
Pouting Lewy almost quit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/74279

Rogue Leader
04-04-09, 09:52 PM

Hold on let me call the Waaaaaahmbulance!

Methanolandbrats
04-04-09, 09:56 PM
Lew has to get his ***** checked out by a doctor ASAP.

miatanut
04-04-09, 11:50 PM

Never, EVER, thought that could happen, but it has. :flame:

emjaya
04-05-09, 04:00 AM

Brundle also suggested that the scandal may stay with Hamilton forever. "The Briton's reputation has understandably taken a battering but a sense of perspective is required here.

"He will recover from this in time but he will have to live with the stigma in perpetuity, just as [Michael] Schumacher does. It will always be mentioned in his epitaph."

:laugh: Brundle is going be on Schumacher's case till the day he dies.

This hasn't changed my opinion of Hamilton. It just confirms it.

eiregosod
04-05-09, 04:28 AM

hehehehe

next time I see his girlfriend the *****cat doll, Nicole Scherzinger, I'll sing to her "Dont you wish your boyfriend didnt live in his parents basement" :rofl:

Insomniac
04-05-09, 11:59 AM
Wow. This seems like a much bigger deal than it is. I thought it was all show to apologize.