PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR

High Sided
04-01-09, 11:32 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/blog/2009/03/obama-orders-chevrolet-and-dodge-out-of.html

With their racing budgets deemed “unnecessary expenditures,” GM and Chrysler are ordered to cease racing operations at the end of the season.

Al Czervik
04-01-09, 11:58 AM
Four One time, you'd think people would learn.

dando
04-01-09, 12:05 PM
:rofl:

The local sports radio station just got suckered in as well.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/motorsports/obama_orders_chevrolet_and_dodge_out_of_nascar_car _news

-Kevin

High Sided
04-01-09, 12:08 PM

maybe ;)

extramundane
04-01-09, 12:15 PM

What's not to believe about a Goodwrench-sponsored Hyundai Genesis? :gomer:

Don Quixote
04-01-09, 01:21 PM
:thumbup:

dando
04-01-09, 02:20 PM
Apparently some took this joke too seriously:

Sorry! - Car News

April 2009

Car and Driver has a proud tradition of April Fools’ Day jokes stretching back 30 years. We regret if this year’s went too far.

:gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Sean Malone
04-01-09, 02:23 PM
The irony here being that they could be out before the year is up. :)

pchall
04-01-09, 03:53 PM
I think that the very realistic imminence of Dodge and Chevy pulling out of NASCRAP because of restructuring through bankruptcy is just too real for the bretheren.

Apparently some took this joke too seriously:

Sorry! - Car News

April 2009

Car and Driver has a proud tradition of April Fools’ Day jokes stretching back 30 years. We regret if this year’s went too far.

:gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

opinionated ow
04-01-09, 04:30 PM
I think what you will find is that instead of everybody getting some sort of Factory support, you will end up in a situation like we have her in Aus with out supertaxis. Some of the teams (one or two per manufacturer) will get factory support, the rest won't.

High Sided
04-01-09, 04:43 PM
jayski alerts nascar fans :laugh:

jayski.com

# Obama, Dodge, Chevy article is a HOAX

NO April Fools Jokes, hoaxes, stories knowingly posted

There is an article [hoax] floating out there on the 'net at an automobile magazine, not known for posting anything about NASCAR with the byline "Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR". The 'article' is nothing but an April Fools Joke. If true it would be ALL over the news and web sites as it would be HUGE news.
AND Contrary to a well-timed April Fool’s hoax and swirling Internet rumors, the Obama administration has not ordered General Motors and Chrysler to pull out of NASCAR as a condition to receiving federal bailout money, representatives of both automakers have confirmed to SPEEDtv.com.(4-1-2009)

Tony Stewart says we're safe :tony:

speed article...
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-gm-chrysler-not-told-to-pull-out/

TKGAngel
04-01-09, 04:57 PM
This one might have just topped the "Kia to Champ Car" prank.

pchall
04-01-09, 08:59 PM
Complete text of the Car & Drivel spoof ripped from elsewhere:

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR - Car News

BY JARED GALL, ILLUSTRATION BY ERIC WOODWARD
April 2009

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.

Methanolandbrats
04-01-09, 09:09 PM
Crackers all over the South probably got their robes and ropes out when they read that one ......:rofl:.......outstanding work...I might subscribe to that rag again. :thumbup:

pchall
04-01-09, 09:46 PM
Crackers all over the South probably got their robes and ropes out when they read that one ......:rofl:.......outstanding work...I might subscribe to that rag again. :thumbup:

But the nutless wonders over there yanked the spoof and apologized. I hold the rag in great disdain for firing Brock Yates. Love him or hate him, he did skewer the bastards who were getting ready to let Japan steamroller Detroit in "The Grosse Point Myopians" forty years ago. And if you haven't read his biography of Enzo Ferrari, you should.

Methanolandbrats
04-01-09, 10:33 PM
But the nutless wonders over there yanked the spoof and apologized. I hold the rag in great disdain for firing Brock Yates. Love him or hate him, he did skewer the bastards who were getting ready to let Japan steamroller Detroit in "The Grosse Point Myopians" forty years ago. And if you haven't read his biography of Enzo Ferrari, you should.

You win, I shot from the hip.

Michaelhatesfans
04-02-09, 01:49 AM
Dale Jr. losing his seat to Sid Finch. Classic.

:laugh:

oddlycalm
04-03-09, 03:29 PM
But the nutless wonders over there yanked the spoof and apologized. I hold the rag in great disdain for firing Brock Yates. Love him or hate him, he did skewer the bastards who were getting ready to let Japan steamroller Detroit in "The Grosse Point Myopians" forty years ago.

Sure, but they only yanked it after learning it had caused 11 strokes, north of 300 incidents of domestic violence, and too many bar fights to count.... :D

I gotta agree on Yates, he could be an annoying gas bag but he was one of the few voices that spoke out early on the staggering level of insularity and arrogance in Detroit.

oc

Sean Malone
04-03-09, 04:09 PM
Sure, but they only yanked it after learning it had caused 11 strokes, north of 300 incidents of domestic violence, and too many bar fights to count.... :D

I gotta agree on Yates, he could be an annoying gas bag but he was one of the few voices that spoke out early on the staggering level of insularity and arrogance in Detroit.

oc

the only thing that I remember of Yates that irked me was that he trivialized the open wheel split and was pretty gomercentric in his orientation.

Andrew Longman
04-03-09, 06:00 PM

oc

No kidding. He wrote Decline and Fall of the American Auto Industry in 1983 and pretty much everything he said then is still true (perhaps a little less so at Ford IMO)

He called correctly the rise of Honda and what the head in the sand attitude would do to the big three. At a time when Honda was studying their competition's product to improve their own, the big three thought they could win by banning Japanese cars from their parking lots. (True story, to this day every time I'm in Marysville or Torrence the Honda guys want to go out to the parking lot to see may rental car so they can studying it -- and these guys are not even in marketing or design -- they are just curious. They are currently most impressed with the Focus)

In The Critical Path Yates chronicles the history of the minivan at Chrysler and their short lived obsession with beating Honda... until something shiny distracted them. And hear they sit waiting to be bought by Fiat of all companies.

NismoZ
04-04-09, 10:30 AM
Yeah, big surprise. I used to drag out an old US News ('83-'85 I think...and I'd already been driving Celicas and Supras since '71!) to enlighten friends when talking about things automotive. Big Rising Sun on the cover. I believe one of the articles began: "Japan wins World War II...a little late, but going away!" It made sense then (related to the auto industry) and rings even more true today. As I recall, union contracts were identified as one of the major problems. Gee.

Sean Malone
04-04-09, 11:33 AM
No kidding. He wrote Decline and Fall of the American Auto Industry in 1983 and pretty much everything he said then is still true (perhaps a little less so at Ford IMO)

He called correctly the rise of Honda and what the head in the sand attitude would do to the big three. At a time when Honda was studying their competition's product to improve their own, the big three thought they could win by banning Japanese cars from their parking lots. (True story, to this day every time I'm in Marysville or Torrence the Honda guys want to go out to the parking lot to see may rental car so they can studying it -- and these guys are not even in marketing or design -- they are just curious. They are currently most impressed with the Focus)

In The Critical Path Yates chronicles the history of the minivan at Chrysler and their short lived obsession with beating Honda... until something shiny distracted them. And hear they sit waiting to be bought by Fiat of all companies.

:gomer: