PDA

View Full Version : Giddy with Anticipation!!!

Sean Malone
03-31-09, 02:46 PM
8 tickets, $120 a pop for reserved grandstand and paddock passes (they don’t let you in the pits at St Pete) for a total of $960 for a day of IndyCar Racing in the glamorous Jewel of the South city of St Petersburg FL. Quite a bargain for such a mainstream sporting event! To think that I may be able to catch a glimpse of Sports Illustrated swim suit model, Danika Patrick or even the dancing, tax evading international super star, Helio Castroneves, I am surprised they don’t charge twice of what they are.

This year the Indy Cars will be introducing more of the cutting edge high tech innovations that make IndyCars the premier racing series in North America. New, incredibly light weight, and high tech mufflers will sweeten the sound of these winged monsters. Hopefully people will be able to carry on conversations in the grandstands (last year they had to go behind the grandstands to talk during the race). Although I couldn’t find any mention of the mufflers on the St Pete Grand Prix website other than this;

Repeat visitors to the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg will quickly notice one big change for 2009: a quieter, sweeter sounding Honda Indy V-8 engine.

Don’t worry; the normally aspirated, 650-horsepower powerplants are still loud, and still definitely sound like proper racing engines turning in excess of 10,000 rpm. But the ear-splitting (admittedly, sometimes painfully-so) roar of years gone by has been replaced by a more mellow note in 2009.

"We've replaced the former exhaust system on the engines with a completely new design. It gives them a much sweeter sound," said Roger Griffiths, Race Team Manager for Honda Performance Development, the official racing arm of American Honda.

"They sound like they did in the mid-90s, you know," said Griffiths. "It has that pretty whine."

Well, there you have it! All is good with that “pretty whine” we used to have. I'm guessing he meant the owners sound like they did in the mid - 90's and the typo 'pretty whine' meant Michael Andretti's 'petty whine'? Probably.

But the racing stars aren't all that the IndyCar series brings to the streets of St Pete (actually its more half of a small airport and some streets through a park), live music concerts entertain the music lover in all of us, with bands like…well, they don’t actually name the bands that play on their website and based on last year no one actually heard of them anyway, but rest assured, they are top notch entertainers worthy of the schedule title of ‘Pre Race Concert’.

With all of the corporate interest, such as Izod (although they aren't sponsoring a car. instead they are creating "synergies"), sponsoring the Indy Car series, you can really get a sense of the electric anticipation that me and the thousands of other sucke...I mean race fans are feeling in preparing for the St Pete Grand Prix.

If you’re not attending in person, don’t forget to watch the race on Versus channel. Yeah, I don’t get that channel either, but I’m going to the race!!!!! Woohoo!!!

SteveH
03-31-09, 02:54 PM

:p

Methanolandbrats
03-31-09, 02:56 PM
That's a bargain for World Class **** like that. :D

cameraman
03-31-09, 02:59 PM
$120:eek:

Wow just wow:shakehead

Sean Malone
03-31-09, 03:03 PM
$120:eek:

Wow just wow:shakehead

And that's JUST for the Sunday indyCar race. Smart folks could pay less and watch the ALMS on Saturday, but they might miss out on a Danika photo op. :)

Methanolandbrats
03-31-09, 03:18 PM
Smart folks don't GAF. :D

rosawendel
03-31-09, 03:29 PM
file my name under the list of "smart folks"

dando
03-31-09, 03:48 PM
But what about the beach volleyball? :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-31-09, 04:13 PM
The $120 is a joke, correct? ..... correct?

Oh, and 4

Sean Malone
03-31-09, 04:18 PM
The $120 is a joke, correct? ..... correct?

Oh, and 4

$110 actually for upper grandstand and a one day paddock pass. Ticketmaster tacks on $7 per ticket so I rounded up to $120. But that leaves plenty left for Danika hats and tees!!!!

Sunday Admission with Reserved Seat
Location Adult Price Junior Price
Upper Rows $80 $55
Lower Rows $60 $35

IndyCar Series Paddock Admission (requires purchase of admission ticket)
Type Adult Price Junior Price
Saturday/Sunday $55 $50
One-Day Only $30 $25

STD
03-31-09, 04:36 PM
What race?

stroker
03-31-09, 04:38 PM
Damn, I wish somebody could sneak a good shifterkart on that track and see how the lap times compare...

jcollins28
03-31-09, 08:01 PM
Mid 90's? IRL did not have a mid 90's car. Maybe he is stretching the truth a bit and talking about the 97 IRL car. Only problem is that I don't think anyone would say that car sounded nice or even try to recreate that sound.

jcollins28
03-31-09, 08:02 PM
8 tickets, $120 a pop for reserved grandstand and paddock passes

You did not get the "Red Hat" and free tickets?

oddlycalm
03-31-09, 08:43 PM
"We've replaced the former exhaust system on the engines with a completely new design. It gives them a much sweeter sound," said Roger Griffiths

Right, sweet as the neighbor kid's slammed Honda with a fart can muffler. :yuck:

Those ticket prices top the Bloomberg wishful thinking chart. Good luck with that gomers...:D :thumbup:

oc

Sean Malone
03-31-09, 10:15 PM
Right, sweet as the neighbor kid's slammed Honda with a fart can muffler. :yuck:

Those ticket prices top the Bloomberg wishful thinking chart. Good luck with that gomers...:D :thumbup:

oc

I'll post pics!!:D

chop456
04-01-09, 01:59 AM
Isn't this the race where they just opened the gates and let people in for free?

$960?

My only question is where you found 7 other people with nothing better to do. :D

trish
04-01-09, 06:27 AM
Is this some kind of joke?

dando
04-01-09, 08:27 AM
This thread should be renamed Eggcitement Amplified. :tony: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
04-01-09, 08:56 AM
Is this some kind of joke?

Yes and no. ;)

opinionated ow
04-01-09, 09:18 AM
Mid 90's? IRL did not have a mid 90's car. Maybe he is stretching the truth a bit and talking about the 97 IRL car. Only problem is that I don't think anyone would say that car sounded nice or even try to recreate that sound.

do you have the link to that sound? i need a laugh...

Methanolandbrats
04-01-09, 09:27 AM

It's a horrible sound. I was at Disney World in 97, I walked out in the parking lot of the Polynesian and heard an unpleasant sound. It reminded me of a Trans Am car with a broken header. WTF? I went for a run to check it out and found the Mickyard. I had no idea it was there. There was testing going on and the cars sounded awful.

jcollins28
04-01-09, 12:06 PM

Don't turn it up to loud....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pWjJfzS9s

G.
04-01-09, 01:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pWjJfzS9s

What is that weird noise when the car is about to enter the corners? Seems familiar, yet unknown.

Methanolandbrats
04-01-09, 01:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pWjJfzS9sWay, way worse than that in person. It was not just objectionable and something you could ignore, it was something to avoid, the aural equivalent of a lingering garlic fart.

Indy
04-03-09, 02:41 AM
Try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neTsNK-it5s :rofl:

chop456
04-03-09, 03:28 AM
I hope you really were joking. :D

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=tickets%20prix

dando
04-03-09, 08:29 AM
I hope you really were joking. :D

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=tickets%20prix

Sounds like this one is right up Malone's alley:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/tix/1103543023.html

Need 2 attractive ladies to hand out fliers at the Grand Prix on Friday advertising Cafe Alma's "Party on the Piazza" being held in downtown on Friday night. For 1 hour of work, you get two free tickets to Friday's Grand Prix, and a free signed CD from the St. Pete based rock band "Talk To Mark". If interested, please call Scott at (727) 385-1529.

Get those legs shaved, Malone. :D

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-03-09, 09:06 AM
So all the people who test drove a Honda in the past year get 4 free tickets, and then they promptly put them on craigslist for $15 for all 4? :)

Sean Malone
04-03-09, 09:48 AM
I'm just surprised that people wouldn't want to pay full price for an IndyCar race. I mean heck, the more money us fans can give them the more they can market stars and cars that make that series...ok, I can't keep this up any more. :yuck:

:D

opinionated ow
04-03-09, 09:52 AM
I'm just surprised that people wouldn't want to pay full price for an IndyCar race. I mean heck, the more money us fans can give them the more they can market stars and cars that make that series...ok, I can't keep this up any more. :yuck:

:D

I once said the same thing about Champ Car in 2007. I think ,,,, started a countdown for that one. thats the one thing OC needs. More ,,,,,,, :rofl: http://detroit.momslikeme.com/UserImage.aspx?f=Image/smileys/2180_hiding_behind_a_couch.gif&mbr=90029