PDA

View Full Version : Was Kubica in position to win?

oddlycalm
03-29-09, 08:29 PM
Mario is certain Kubica would have been able to reel in and pass Button if he and Vettel hadn't collided. Hard to tell from the broadcast if that was the case. Kubica did drive a great race right up until he lost patience.

BMW certain Vettel crash cost Kubica win (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74047)

I've already posted my opinion of the tire artifice elsewhere, but the fact that this was even a possibility for Kubica makes my point for me; manufactured drama.

oc

Methanolandbrats
03-29-09, 08:59 PM
Bob screwed the pooch. I don't care if they were on Aquatreads from Sears, Bob hosed himself.

cameraman
03-30-09, 02:53 AM
Jenson Button can be a right bastard to pass so I tend to doubt that Kubica would have pulled it off. He was every bit as to blame for that mess as Vettel was anyhow.

So we have a new season that actually might provide decent racing marred by a truly idiotic one good/one purposely bad spec tire pairing and the usual crew of F1 stewards who are utter jacktards.

Sean Malone
03-30-09, 10:02 AM
I was amazed at the speed difference between bob and Vettel from the overhead camera. From that shot you can get a sense that Bob probably assumed a simple slip around Vettel, had to brake unexpectedly when his plan didn't work and then ran out of road. I think he would have caught Jenson, but like cameraman said, I don't know if he could have gotten around him.

Question: Do you think the broadcast crew sleeps with posters of Vettel over their beds at night?:yuck:

TrueBrit
03-30-09, 10:33 AM
Sure he was, if he had another 15 laps or Button threw it into the weeds....speaking of which...someone had to have been partaking in order to think that with 3 laps to go It'sACube was going to get past Boy-Band...

But thanks for the larf...:tony:

NismoZ
03-30-09, 11:03 AM
Not quite, but he ALMOST got there!:)

Hard Driver
03-30-09, 01:04 PM
No.

Buttons tires were not as old as Vettel's.

oddlycalm
03-30-09, 04:18 PM
No. Buttons tires were not as old as Vettel's.
That's what I thought so I undeleted the race broadcast and went back and looked at the last five laps. The Button-Vettel gap was static for a couple laps but the coverage cut away to the Trulli-Rosberg battle. When they returned at the end of lap 4 Kubica was catching Vettel and soon after we know what happened. At the time Vettel and Kubica crashed the gap to Button was something like 2.77 seconds. Since the Button - Vettel gap was static Theissen assumed they both must have been losing their tires at a similar rate.

Button says no; "I actually wasn't worried," he said. "I was purposely driving very slowly to the pace I thought we could do to look after the tyres."

Theissen is right, with 3 laps to go it would have been very close at the end, but if Button is telling the truth and was in good shape and just conserving his tires he would have been able to defend if caught.

Considering the stakes, Kubica was silly not to wait one more corner to take Vettel, particularly because he knew Vettel was sliding around.

oc

gerhard911
03-30-09, 06:24 PM
Question: Do you think the broadcast crew sleeps with posters of Vettel over their beds at night?:yuck:

No, but they all DO sleep with Lewie cupie dolls :\

Sean Malone
03-30-09, 08:53 PM
No, but they all DO sleep with Lewie cupie dolls :\

Based on the past race, I think they switched cupies.

Easy
03-31-09, 11:54 AM

Watched it at a bar with no audio. It was the most enjoyable broadcast I've had since Lewis Hamilton's first GP.

I used to think this was the best booth team in racing but they lost me with all the nut hugging they've done the last few years.

extramundane
03-31-09, 12:45 PM
I used to think this was the best booth team in racing but they lost me with all the nut hugging they've done the last few years.

Hamilton sycophancy > Eddie Cheever's yammering piehole

Perspective.

Methanolandbrats
03-31-09, 01:25 PM

Perspective.No way. Cheeber is a self-absorbed a-hole who talks about nothing but himself. No one tops Cheeber, he is The Douchebag Supremo. And Eddie the Euro is far, far worse than the runner-up for worst announcer, Scooter "techical genius" Goodyear. The SPEED F1 crowd has their favorites, but they are knowledgeable and pretty even handed with criticism.

Easy
03-31-09, 03:31 PM

Perspective.

Like when he subbed in the booth on espn2 and told Derek Bell(?) he had to leave Formula One because he was too tall for the new cars in 198X. :rofl:

Cheever is a true renaissance man, he sucks at many different things.

SteveH
03-31-09, 03:34 PM
Cheever is a true renaissance man, he sucks at many different things.

:rofl: :thumbup:

extramundane
03-31-09, 03:44 PM
No way. Cheeber is a self-absorbed a-hole who talks about nothing but himself. No one tops Cheeber, he is The Douchebag Supremo. And Eddie the Euro is far, far worse than the runner-up for worst announcer, Scooter "techical genius" Goodyear. The SPEED F1 crowd has their favorites, but they are knowledgeable and pretty even handed with criticism.

That was kinda my point.

Andrew Longman
03-31-09, 03:48 PM
I loved the comment about losing tire grip, "That happens to some drivers" :rofl:

Also Machett's wishing that KERS could be dropped by the next race.

The guys are fine.

Sean Malone
03-31-09, 04:12 PM
I loved the comment about losing tire grip, "That happens to some drivers" :rofl:

Also Machett's wishing that KERS could be dropped by the next race.

The guys are fine.

yeah, that crew is about as good as one can ask for. Varsha's voice is like pavlov's bell to me...when I hear it...it's F1 baby!!! (and I start to salivate and look for my dinner).
I personally have noticed a strong driver preference with them however which I don't think announcers should have. they are already predicting MULTI-driver championships for Vettel. Come on guys, let him when his first one at least. :)

Methanolandbrats
03-31-09, 05:00 PM
That was kinda my point. Well, sumbitch.........I gotta give up speed reading, it don't help with comprehension :gomer:

Insomniac
04-01-09, 10:21 AM
I think it would've been close. I believe Button got his tires 2 laps after Vettel. However, given the horrible job passing Vettel, no guarantee he could've made that pass. Blaming Vettel is ridiculous. He wasn't just going to move over like lapped traffic and give up 2nd. The fact that the stewards are idiots doesn't make it Vettel's fault.

Easy
04-01-09, 12:18 PM
I agree they're still a ton better than the indycar or nascar booths.

If it was just Varsha and Matchett I would be a very happy viewer. I'd rather limit my Hobbes experiences to Sunday nights at Siebken's. Jager on the beach after last call? Why not?

SteveH
04-01-09, 01:14 PM
Rumors on AR1 say that Button was not showing all he had. Rubens car was damaged and he might have been showing all it had, but I can see how Button could have been in cruise mode for most of the race.