PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Racing in the Rain

Andrew Longman
03-19-09, 11:19 AM
Anybody know of/read this book?

http://www.artofracingintherain.com/

My sister in law gave it to me for Christmas and last night I crawled into bed about 11:30 to finally get started on it. I read straight through to 6 this morning. 300 something pages in one sitting. (yeah I'm a wreck today, but I'm going to take a nap in a bit as soon I finish some work and before Sebring stuff starts)

The book is sort of Marley and Me meets Johnathan Livingston Seagull meets The Last Open Road

Its a little predictable in places but there is enough "Truth in (racing) Philosophy" and bang on historically accurate racing references to bring a smile, a tear and a little inspiration.

Gotta love a dog that's sit home all day watching Speed, History Channel, and tapes of old F1 races and draws important practical lessons of life from it. Kinda like a few too many people around here;)

:thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
03-19-09, 01:25 PM
He raced at Portland last summer at in an MX-5 race. They were doing book sales and autograph sessions.

I have to confess, I haven't read it yet - too busy going through 20 year old issues On Track and Autosport, and meditating at the Nigel Roebuck temple.

Andrew Longman
03-19-09, 03:02 PM
This is actually a better explanation from the author on the premise for the book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXNOcIZkyg

oddlycalm
03-19-09, 04:22 PM
Thanks for posting this AL. When I turn my Kindle reader on this evening it'll be there. Hard to resist dogs and racing in one story.

oc

Andrew Longman
03-19-09, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting this AL. When I turn my Kindle reader on this evening it'll be there. Hard to resist dogs and racing in one story.

oc

Start earlier than I did. I managed a 10 minute nap before Sebring qualifying came on.

(I had to watch it with Trevor because last weekend we had to abandon our trip to be there today. He's crushed but planning a Sebring party with his friends for Saturday)

oddlycalm
03-19-09, 06:54 PM
Start earlier than I did. I managed a 10 minute nap before Sebring qualifying came on.

No problem, I'm already reading several books and my body doesn't appreciate all nighters anymore.

I like being able to have a bunch of books on the Kindle so I can read what I'm in the mood for, kinda like a TiVo for books. This looks like a book for a long uninterrupted stretch. The other day in the dentist waiting room I qued up "Stuff White People Like" and had a few grins while I waited. That's a book that is good for diving in a few minutes at a time.

oc

oddlycalm
03-30-09, 06:50 PM
Finally finished some books in the que got around to reading this one. Well worth a read. :thumbup: I had no idea that dogs feel such disdain for crows but that all makes sense now...:D My dog always looks away when crows are around as well.

Seriously, a very unique approach to telling a story that is all too familiar. The racing references were used in a way that had universal meaning and the fact that it connects just as well with people with no knowledge of racing says it all.

I heard another reference to a racing truth over the weekend from a well know female journalist. She had picked it up during a 5 day class at Skip Barber and felt it applied to life in a more universal way.

FWIW, our local chapter of the Dog Science Foundation has yet to master the door knob principle either...

oc

FTG
03-31-09, 07:44 AM
I heard another reference to a racing truth over the weekend from a well know female journalist. She had picked it up during a 5 day class at Skip Barber and felt it applied to life in a more universal way.

Keeping enlightenment to yourself is bad karma. How about sharing with the rest of the class?

Methanolandbrats
03-31-09, 09:36 AM
I heard another reference to a racing truth over the weekend from a well know female journalist. She had picked it up during a 5 day class at Skip Barber and felt it applied to life in a more universal way

ocUniversal truths at a Skippy Barber school? Was this guy on the grid? http://cf1.netmegs.com/memestream/dalai%20lama.jpg

Andrew Longman
03-31-09, 10:20 AM
Well worth a read. :thumbup:

Glad you agree.:thumbup:

I just need to take more of the book's advice.

Michaelhatesfans
03-31-09, 10:30 AM
Universal truths at a Skippy Barber school? Was this guy on the grid? http://cf1.netmegs.com/memestream/dalai%20lama.jpg

I saw that guy do a wicked psyche job on some kid in pre-grid before a race.

oddlycalm
03-31-09, 03:20 PM
Keeping enlightenment to yourself is bad karma. How about sharing with the rest of the class?

I would if I could remember who it was and what she said. :gomer: All I recall now is the Skip Barber reference and the fact that it came from a middle aged female. Cokie Roberts maybe...?

oc

Gnam
11-12-10, 05:20 PM
Good read. He nailed the Senna vs. Schumacher comparison, and it's IRL free.

Although the book is written to appeal to a range of readers (dogs, cars, family, emotions :yuck:;), the NW, philosophy, humor) the author manages to mix them together. So you don't have to endure a boring chapter to get to an interesting one.

If they ever make it into a movie, the racing parts will suffer. My guess is it would either end up as a Disney flick with an animated dog or a Lifetime Original film. Better to read the book now so you can laugh at the movie later. :p

nrc
09-07-12, 10:22 AM
How am I supposed to read this stupid book when chapter one has me tearing up already?

SteveH
09-07-12, 12:24 PM
How am I supposed to read this stupid book when chapter one has me tearing up already?

No kidding. Just started reading this. If you've ever put a dog down, it is a tough first chapter.

TravelGal
09-07-12, 11:35 PM

No kidding. Just started reading this. If you've ever put a dog down, it is a tough first chapter.

I love you guys. But now I have to go get the book so my opinion may change. :laugh:

Anteater
09-08-12, 12:51 AM
I read this book 2 years ago, and loved it. Urged my husband to read it (dogs and racing--2 of our favorite things!), and he loved it. BTW, it's the only novel I've ever seen him read in 20 years of marriage! I came across the book a couple of weeks ago, and read it again in about two sittings. It still made me laugh and cry. It has to be one of my all-time favorite books!

And I still miss oddlycalm... :(

TRDfan
09-10-12, 10:30 PM
Great book.

Supposed to be coming out as a movie with Patrick Dempsey in the lead role.

SteveH
05-20-19, 02:54 PM
coming to a theater near you

https://youtu.be/Dp2ufFO4QGg

nrc
05-20-19, 04:05 PM
Ugh. I can't even get through the trailer without tearing up.

TRDfan
05-20-19, 10:56 PM
I never go see movies....I'll go see this in August. And might need to re-read the book at the lake in a few weeks.

Elmo T
05-21-19, 02:45 PM
Ugh. I can't even get through the trailer without tearing up.

And the scroll thru the names on this thread isn't helping. :(

SteveH
05-21-19, 10:07 PM
I noticed that too Elmo

SteveH
05-21-19, 10:12 PM
There’s also a picture book

Enzo Races in the Rain! (http://www.garthstein.com/works/enzo-races-in-the-rain/)