PDA

View Full Version : Sweet success!

Foxman
05-28-03, 07:19 AM
After much reading, and more trial and error than you could believe I am finally able to extract video from my DirecTIVO and burn it to DVD! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

tllips
05-28-03, 11:27 AM
Foxman,
How did you do it? Did you need to essentially erase all of the info on your Tivo for later use?

My brother has been Jonesing to do this also, but he came to the conclusion that once he decompresses the info for the computer, he will have lost the ability to watch everything else on the drive via TV. Is this true? Does my question make any sense?

Foxman
05-28-03, 02:56 PM
You can still vue the files on the tivo after you extract the video. The extraction is nothing more than copying the stream over to your computer. You have to purchase a TivoNET or AirNET card, and open up the tivo. While I was at it I installed 2*120GB hard drives to give me about 200hours of storage.

I don't know if you have a stand alone or DirecTivo, but if you have DirecTIVO you have to install a Noscramble patch before the video will be viewable, you cannot apply noscramble to pre-existing recordings. So any recording you made prior will not be downloadable. It's good stuff, there are a bunch of websites out there dedicated to the cause. Now I can have all of my CART and F1 races on DVD!!!

WickerBill
05-28-03, 03:02 PM
... and make copies for your friends at $5 per DVD, right? ;)

RaceChic
05-28-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill

please?????????? :D

tllips
05-28-03, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Foxman
You can still vue the files on the tivo after you extract the video. The extraction is nothing more than copying the stream over to your computer. You have to purchase a TivoNET or AirNET card, and open up the tivo. While I was at it I installed 2*120GB hard drives to give me about 200hours of storage.

I don't know if you have a stand alone or DirecTivo, but if you have DirecTIVO you have to install a Noscramble patch before the video will be viewable, you cannot apply noscramble to pre-existing recordings. So any recording you made prior will not be downloadable. It's good stuff, there are a bunch of websites out there dedicated to the cause. Now I can have all of my CART and F1 races on DVD!!!

It is a DirecTivo. The NoScramble patch must be his hangup. He has many hours waiting to be seen on his Tivo before he can do this. I think he has something like 80 hrs avail on each of his DirecTivo's.

Thanks forhte Info...

Foxman
05-28-03, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by tllips
It is a DirecTivo. The NoScramble patch must be his hangup. He has many hours waiting to be seen on his Tivo before he can do this. I think he has something like 80 hrs avail on each of his DirecTivo's.

Thanks forhte Info...

No problemo. He can also clone his existing harddrive to another drive, apply the patch to that, and keep his original. I'd recommend doing that as he'll have a pristine copy of TIVO's OS, then if he wants to view the old stuff, he just plugs the drive in.

Foxman
05-28-03, 05:01 PM

;) I don't even know that $5 would cover the costs.. Blanks run about $40 for 10 discs for 2x recordables, then you add shipping.. I'd probably just make people send me a blank and postage to send the new one over.. Even then, the fickle thing about DVD-R's is, I can't guarantee that they will play in the player that you have, some play them, some don't.. Most newer stand alone DVD players will play them, many older one's will not.. It might be more trouble than it's worth.. But, I am always willing to help a friend out with tapes of races when I can.. Somewhere amongst my boxes of VHS tapes I have just about every CART race from 1996-2001... I'd love to convert them to DVD and I WISH I had some F1 races from the late 80's.... Oh well, I'm just rambling now.

Fox

WickerBill
05-28-03, 05:13 PM
DVD+R or DVD-R?

DVD+Rs play on just about everything.

Foxman
05-28-03, 06:38 PM
DVD+R or DVD-R?

DVD+Rs play on just about everything.

DVD-R. I'm thinking about buying a sony drive that does +/- R but I don't have $300 lying around :p. They play on virtually all newer players, but not on many old players. My brother has a panasonic and I can't get ANY disc to play on his, not DVD-R/RW or +R/+RW.

Ziggy
05-29-03, 12:53 AM
WOW, sounds really, like, complicated. I thought getting all twelve exhaust headers into four collectors on my Matra was a bitch

You space age whiz kids, Im green with envy

Ziggy