PDA

View Full Version : where were YOU in '69?

G.
03-13-09, 11:57 AM
Smokin' dope and drinkin' wine...

Woodstock was a music festival, billed as An Aquarian Exposition, held at Max Yasgur's 600 acre (2.4 kmĀ²; 240 ha) dairy farm in the rural town of Bethel, New York from August 15 to August 18, 1969.

with a lil' help (http://www.elwp.com/Joe%20Cocker.html)

Whoa, I left the river out and I don't know why.

:laugh:

chop456
03-13-09, 12:53 PM
I was but a gleam in my daddy's eye.

That gleam would later be rescinded, to no avail. :D

chop456
03-13-09, 12:59 PM
And just because I'm a sucker for the obvious :gomer: :

qDiffWitYi8

dando
03-13-09, 01:46 PM
Doing the needful in my diaper, as I recall. That and probably watching Sesame Street.

cg71djeZfos

^^^ My Woodstock. :)

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-13-09, 03:05 PM
Me and the little sister September 1969...

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=95

Don Quixote
03-13-09, 03:16 PM
I was 12.
I work with a guy who was there. He doesn't remember much. :laugh:

oddlycalm
03-13-09, 03:17 PM
And just because I'm a sucker for the obvious :gomer:

Obvious maybe, but some things stand up to the test of time. :thumbup: :D

oc

Ankf00
03-13-09, 04:36 PM
you people are old.

:gomer:

dando
03-13-09, 04:38 PM
you people are old.

You don't count. :p

-Kevin

cameraman
03-13-09, 04:44 PM
I wasn't old enough to go but several of the older teenagers on my street made a valiant effort to attend. They ended up spending the weekend in the gridlocked mass of traffic miles from the farm. People just abandoned their cars and walked and if you were in the middle of it, well, that is where you stayed until Monday.

opinionated ow
03-13-09, 04:46 PM
I existed only in the future plans of the big fellow upstairs (that is God for those who didn't quite follow). Knowing cell life, my father's body hadn't even created me...

RusH
03-13-09, 05:05 PM
I was in Central Park, NYC.... with of a bunch of smelly hippies wading in Bethesda Fountain on Sunday afternoons.

ChampcarShark
03-13-09, 05:12 PM
not born, and not even sure if I was in my father's plans.

Methanolandbrats
03-13-09, 05:42 PM
Skipping middle school to watch excellent riots on the UW Madison campus. Best entertainment ever. :thumbup:

G.
03-13-09, 05:50 PM
OK, ok, I was 3, but it's still a funny video! :laugh:

Andrew Longman
03-13-09, 07:36 PM
I was nine. I heard about Woodstock on the radio. I had no idea why 500,000 geologists would want to go to a rock festival in NY. That's the truth. :D

BTW that song is now ruined for me.

oddlycalm
03-13-09, 07:44 PM
OK, ok, I was 3, but it's still a funny video! :laugh:

Yup, still funny after all these years. Joe Cocker's ridiculous affectations and mangled lyrics are the gift that keeps on giving. Imitations of his spaz mode was standard stuff at parties to the point where it occasionally got competitive...:gomer:

oc

cameraman
03-13-09, 07:45 PM
BTW that song is now ruined for me.

Yeah no ****...

Got to admit I never actually listened that closely to it before. He sings like that when he is sober.

rocket
03-13-09, 07:51 PM
I was just about a month past 2 years old.
Funny thing is this April, I'm taking Brit to see someone who played at Woodstock.
Richie Havens, he's playing a show at one of the theaters at the local community college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2st2E3KPJM

OW
03-13-09, 09:45 PM
13 years old

Listened to Vietnam Stats each nightly news:
"Them killed 1000s - us - a few -They did do that every night"

1st trial of alcohol - Gallo Wine from my friends - parents - cabinet

Mini-bikes......
EARNED this caddying http://www.hondamuseum.com/hallOfFame.asp?bike=AZ50&name=1969%20Z50%20Mini%20Trail

Build a Honda 100cc based go-Kart - yes 5 speed - still have it

Entered "top of the heap grade school" (8th grade)

5 years in to absorbing OpenWheel, saw 1/2 mile stockcar race inside Chgo soldier field, lots of Saturday nights at the local 1/4 mile (asphalt)

Watched Armstrong land on the moon "Live" in June in the middle of the night.
I still remember the whole day preparing

Saw Woodstock at the Movie Theatre

Abby road

Dark Shadows at 3PM

Parents Above ground pool - Back Yard trampoline (yes we combined them)

pchall
03-13-09, 10:12 PM
I was 13 and looking forward to spending a second straight summer in Germany with my uncle Bernhard and visiting some other relatives who had kids around my age. I could drink beer when accompanied by any adult relative. :) That, and Bernhard loved motorsports and took me to the races.

OW
03-13-09, 10:33 PM
Thats a teriffic photo Elmo -
Its on the internet - so I don't have to tell you charish it :thumbup:

datachicane
03-14-09, 04:21 AM
I was a five year old first-grader, hopped up on Tang, Pillsbury Space Food Sticks, and my mother's potentially sentient macrobiotic okra and arrowroot, umm, stuff (Mom! It moved! :eek::yuck:). House full of macramed plant and speaker hangers, Country Squire with a 428CJ in the driveway, my room plastered with Apollo mission photos and strewn with the results of yet another tragic mishap for Major Matt Mason.

pchall
03-14-09, 07:50 AM
... my room plastered with Apollo mission photos and strewn with the results of yet another tragic mishap for Major Matt Mason.

:D

I got Major Matt as a rather age inappropriate birthday gift from my aunt back then (I always go what her rather younger son wanted for some reason -- like Super Helmet 7 :rolleyes: ) He made one majestic suborbital flight atop my own version of the Proton rocket powered by 3 Estes D engines. The launch from the unbuilt lots at the end of the street was inclined about 30 degrees from vertical. Major Matt is still probably wandering the wastes of the Grey Road landfill thinking he's stranded on Mars.

OW
03-14-09, 10:47 AM

I got Major Matt as a rather age inappropriate birthday gift from my aunt back then (I always go what her rather younger son wanted for some reason -- like Super Helmet 7 :rolleyes: ) He made one majestic suborbital flight atop my own version of the Proton rocket powered by 3 Estes D engines. The launch from the unbuilt lots at the end of the street was inclined about 30 degrees from vertical. Major Matt is still probably wandering the wastes of the Grey Road landfill thinking he's stranded on Mars.

I forgot - YES! Major Matt Mason - I had some too....1969.... the crawler
Why do we spend millions on some "rover to mars" when you have this!!!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=major+matt+mason&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=lsK7SdO1Ao6qMo-TzaAI&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

Michaelhatesfans
03-14-09, 01:08 PM
H.R. Puffinstuff, The Banana Splits, and sitting in the car with my mom outside the armory waiting for my dad's weekend guard duty to end.

dando
03-14-09, 01:24 PM
sitting in the car with my mom outside the armory waiting for my dad's weekend guard duty to end.

Red Beetle, picking up my mom from Wright Patt. :)

-Kevin

rosawendel
03-14-09, 01:36 PM
I was two.
My first memory is being plopped down in front of the tele to watch the apollo 11 liftoff, and i seem to recall the landing on the moon also.

stroker
03-14-09, 02:27 PM
August of '69 I was at my first Can-Am race at Road America.

I'll take that over friggin' Woodstock anytime.

TKGAngel
03-14-09, 03:37 PM
you people are old.

What he said, but with more respect. :)

The Banana Splits

Cartoon Network has been showing Banana Splits as 1-2 minute shorts since late last year. Try getting the theme song out of your head after inadvertently stumbling across CN on the cable.

dando
03-14-09, 03:51 PM
after inadvertently stumbling across CN on the cable.

Yeah, right. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

oddlycalm
03-14-09, 04:04 PM
August of '69 I was at my first Can-Am race.

Absolutely, and Trans-Am as well. For me Watkins Glen, Elkart Lake, Mosport, Mid-Ohio and Brainerd were a hell of a lot more road trip worthy than Woodstock IMO. Waterford Hills on a good weekend was a bigger deal to me than Woodstock. The next year we had F5000 as well. :thumbup:

One reason why is that we were quite literally awash in music in 1969. We had already seen the acts that were at Woodstock (or passed on them) in comfort at the Grande Ballroom, the Grande Riviera, Eastown Theater in Detroit or the 5th Dimension in Ann Arbor. That doesn't even touch on the arena shows or dozens of area clubs that also booked name acts. I could walk 10 minutes to the Palladium and see name acts. There were also the epic jazz shows at Cobo and the Motown Review at the Fox theater as well. I saw the Modern Jazz Quartet, Miles Davis and Nina Simone on the same bill... no words.

Grande Riviera fall 1969 show list (http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.com/granderiviera.html)

Grande Ballroom March 1969 show list (http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.com/Mar1969.html)

Eastown Theatre December 1969 show list (http://www.motorcitymusicarchives.com/EDec1969.html)

It's just as painful to contemplate what we've lost in the broad availability of inexpensive live music as it is racing for me. All those great shows cost $3-$6. The music scene in and around Detroit was at saturation levels but it was going on to some degree in a lot of places. Now it's all corporate sponsorship and $100+ tickets. :thumdown:

oc

emjaya
03-14-09, 11:21 PM
Cartoon Network has been showing Banana Splits as 1-2 minute shorts since late last year. Try getting the theme song out of your head after inadvertently stumbling across CN on the cable.

I bought a Bananna Splits video, the kids loved it to death. I must seek out the dvd. :gomer:

1969, I was 4 years old.

Michaelhatesfans
03-15-09, 01:17 AM
Red Beetle, picking up my mom from Wright Patt. :)

-Kevin

Green Chevy II
:)

Elmo T
03-15-09, 06:49 AM
I bought a Bananna Splits video, the kids loved it to death. I must seek out the dvd. :gomer:

I bought one of the HR Puff N Stuff DVD's a few years back - and yes, the kids loved it. Of course, it seems like a MUCH different program to me now. ;)

They like the Banana Splits on Boomerang - Jabberjaw not so much.

As for memories, I have a fuzz recollection of seeing stuff from the moon on early morning TV - but those were probably the very early 1970's for me.

chop456
03-15-09, 08:14 AM
Try getting the theme song out of your head after inadvertently stumbling across CN on the cable.

You mean Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier"? :D

Andrew Longman
03-15-09, 08:25 AM
I forgot - YES! Major Matt Mason

Wow. No memory of Major Mason. Probably because I was totally into the real space program. I would play sick to stay home from school and watch Cronkite and Gemini launches. For the moon landing I was at my uncle's in Buffalo and stayed up to all hours to watch Armstrong and Aldrin walk on the moon. Aldrin at the time lived two block from me so it was extra special.

The next day my dad, uncle, brother and I went on a 10 day wilderness canoe trip in Algonquin PP in Ontario. It got me hooked on the back country.

Other than that Hot Wheels (NOT cheap wannabe Johnny Lightening - Al Unser's 1970 I500 victory in the Johnny Lighening Special is no doubt a contributing factor to my dislike of all things Unser :gomer:) was the passion. And every time I got $2 I'd go buy another car model, usually a dragster.

69 was also the first time I watched the Indy 500 and saw my newest hero Mario win, hooking me on champ cars for life.

Andrew Longman
03-15-09, 08:36 AM
It's just as painful to contemplate what we've lost in the broad availability of inexpensive live music as it is racing for me. All those great shows cost $3-$6.
oc

In '69 a Coke cost 25c and a concert $6. Now a soda cost a buck and a concert $100+ :shakehead

Detroit was quite the scene well into the 70s. It supported I think 5 big time rock stations that defined the genre for the industry. The X, W4, WRIF and a few more. I think only WMMR in Philly defined as much of the culture of a city.

To see Bob Seger live at Cobo was exhausting. You felt lucky to come out alive and in no need for Woodstock.

More recently, Detroit produced Madonna, Kid Rock and Emmenem. I guess things do have to change.:shakehead

stroker
03-15-09, 09:07 PM
Other than that Hot Wheels (NOT cheap wannabe Johnny Lightening - Al Unser's 1970 I500 victory in the Johnny Lighening Special is no doubt a contributing factor to my dislike of all things Unser :gomer:)

I almost wrote Johnny Lightning a hate letter. Cheap bastard wanna-be's. I had some fine 10-year old hate.

:rofl:

datachicane
03-16-09, 03:12 AM
He made one majestic suborbital flight atop my own version of the Proton rocket powered by 3 Estes D engines. The launch from the unbuilt lots at the end of the street was inclined about 30 degrees from vertical. Major Matt is still probably wandering the wastes of the Grey Road landfill thinking he's stranded on Mars.

I was a Cox man myself, with trees full of plastic multistage Nike-Zeus shading the remains of an entire squadron of control-line PT-19s. After busting and regluing countless engine mounts, I finally started carving them from wood. :saywhat:

TKGAngel
03-16-09, 09:06 AM
Yeah, right. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

I was in the hospital! My TV choices were limited.

Jabberjaw not so much.

I hated that stupid shark when I was a kid. Same with Grape Ape.

cart7
03-23-09, 08:00 AM
I was just beginning my wonder years.

SteveH
03-23-09, 01:23 PM
Summer of 1969 = working at the local Burger Chef, mowing yards and bailing hay for hire. And getting ready for my senior year in high school. Was a good time. :thumbup:

Elmo T
03-23-09, 03:39 PM
Summer of 1969 = working at the local Burger Chef, mowing yards and bailing hay for hire. And getting ready for my senior year in high school. Was a good time. :thumbup:

Sounds like the opening to a country music song. ;)

IlliniRacer
03-23-09, 10:25 PM
Kickin' in my Momma's belly.

I was born a month late. Nearly 40 yrs later, I still haven't caught up.

Methanolandbrats
03-23-09, 10:28 PM
August of '69 I was at my first Can-Am race at Road America.

HEy, I did that too. That was a good year, racing and riots. :D

Indy
03-23-09, 11:59 PM

Do you know you can get a Big Chef at Hardee's?

SteveH
03-24-09, 12:07 AM
Do you know you can get a Big Chef at Hardee's?

No, but if you hum a few bars I might be able to fake it. :p

No Hardees around here, that I know of. Doesn't matter, never did care for them. Super Chef's were better. :thumbup:

anait
04-06-09, 01:34 AM
I was born in the summer of '69 (cue Bryan Adams); arrived 10 days before the moon landing.