PDA

View Full Version : versus promo

High Sided
03-11-09, 11:33 AM
5 seconds is all it took for versus to...loss of words :shakehead :thumdown: :confused:

TE-5UjsFqzA

dando
03-11-09, 11:35 AM
Needs more cowbell. :shakehead :thumdown: :saywhat:

-Kevin

NismoZ
03-11-09, 11:54 AM
Sick.:irked:

Methanolandbrats
03-11-09, 12:08 PM
That is beyond disgusting....loss of words is right......just when you think AOW can't hit a new low, it does.

Don Quixote
03-11-09, 12:16 PM
They left out the Legge crash at RA. Sheesh.
Seriously, that is the worst thing I have ever seen. :mad: :thumdown: :irked: :yuck:

Methanolandbrats
03-11-09, 12:41 PM
They left out the Legge crash at RA. Sheesh.
Seriously, that is the worst thing I have ever seen. :mad: :thumdown: :irked: :yuck:
If ratings are up, they'll improve it next year :mad:...Stan Fox, Gordon Smiley, Nelson Piquet, Greg Moore..I would'nt put it past those bastards to do it.......I kinda sorta follow Indy Cars as a joke, but this ad is so over the top revolting, I'm done even doing that. It's safe to assume IMS signed off on that ad. What will those ****ers stoop to next?

TKGAngel
03-11-09, 12:55 PM
Couldn't swing a dead cat during last night's NHL on Versus game without seeing that promo. Let's promote the product by showing violent, fiery crashes. Way to appeal to the lowest common denominator there, Versus. :saywhat: :yuck:

Then again, if the network used Danica, Sarah F and Milka to promote the series via a T&A show, would there still be complaints? That all the league is reduced to is some boobies? (Which is true on a couple of different levels, but still.)

Sean Malone
03-11-09, 02:18 PM
Couldn't swing a dead cat during last night's NHL on Versus game without seeing that promo. Let's promote the product by showing violent, fiery crashes. Way to appeal to the lowest common denominator there, Versus. :saywhat: :yuck:

Then again, if the network used Danica, Sarah F and Milka to promote the series via a T&A show, would there still be complaints? That all the league is reduced to is some boobies? (Which is true on a couple of different levels, but still.)

Hmmm, official 'Girls of Indy Car' calender? it would confuse the heck out of people; a chick who looks like a guy but has biggun's, a chick who looks like a girl but has the body of a 12 year old boy. :D

dando
03-11-09, 03:45 PM
Hmmm, official 'Girls of Indy Car' calender? it would confuse the heck out of people; a chick who looks like a guy but has biggun's, a chick who looks like a girl but has the body of a 12 year old boy. :D

Tony Kanaan in drag... :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-12-09, 05:29 AM
I get that crashes are part of the appeal/promotion.

But to include the clip of the Dave MacDonald/Eddie Sachs crash is inexcusable. There hasn't been a more horrific crash at IMS since then (or maybe before), and there have been some bad ones.

Almost topping that is the clip of Brack's crash that ended his career and by all rights should have killed him.

Gee why no Paul Dana clip? It was pretty impressive. :rolleyes:

NismoZ
03-12-09, 10:56 AM
Figure it out. The kid who was given the job of collecting "wreck" clips for the promo had NO idea of what he was looking at. Just doing a job. (If he DID, he ought to be fired! And that bit about the IRL "signing off" on it? Same thing for whoever signed!)

Accipiter
03-12-09, 12:14 PM
Them were some wicked chawsome crashes, dere! :gomer:

:rolleyes::shakehead:thumdown:

chop456
03-13-09, 02:59 AM
Way to appeal to the lowest common denominator there, Versus. :saywhat: :yuck:

Preaching to the choir. :gomer:

robot9000
03-13-09, 11:47 AM
You just don't know what Gene Simmons means.

JLMannin
03-13-09, 01:42 PM
I get that crashes are part of the appeal/promotion.

But to include the clip of the Dave MacDonald/Eddie Sachs crash is inexcusable. There hasn't been a more horrific crash at IMS since then (or maybe before), and there have been some bad ones.

Almost topping that is the clip of Brack's crash that ended his career and by all rights should have killed him.

Gee why no Paul Dana clip? It was pretty impressive. :rolleyes:

I thought that particular clip was Allesandro Zampedri's crash at Indy near the end of the 1996 500.

dando
03-13-09, 01:54 PM
What's really missing in this promo is a good shot of Z getting T-boned in Germany. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Indy
03-15-09, 12:20 AM
Follow the link to youtube. The video comes courtesy of Vision Racing. :mad:

cart7
03-23-09, 07:55 AM
Shot of the Swede Savage crash too.

:thumdown:

Desperation = Complete lack of class.

Andrew Longman
03-23-09, 02:04 PM
I thought that particular clip was Allesandro Zampedri's crash at Indy near the end of the 1996 500.

Scary and spectacular yes. minimal injuries and no fire

MacDonald/Sachs both died and probably burned to death in a massive horrifying fire.

Elmo T
03-23-09, 03:36 PM
Maybe it is an indy-centric thing. This still bothers me....

I distinctly remember being in Indianapolis for the 2001 USGP. We walked to a local shopping mall somewhere in the downtown area. There was a IMS shop in the mall that was selling all sorts of swag.

One of the items for sale was a very large plaque with four color photos. They were all very graphic photos of Stan Fox's accident. That was it. Four full color photos, under glass, mounted on a polished wood plaque. I was speechless. :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
03-23-09, 04:59 PM
Maybe it is an indy-centric thing. This still bothers me..:

I wonder.

So much of the city's identity is wrapped up in the speedway (less so in the last 25+/- years), and the Speedway has been home to so many horrible, famous crashes, especially before there was much regard for safety. Maybe . many folks in the area are just softened to the macabre

SteveH
03-23-09, 05:38 PM
not there
not there
not there

This video has been removed by the user.

High Sided
03-25-09, 04:56 PM
not there
not there
not there

Updated, fatal crash removed...

ZdS8C643MOU

NismoZ
03-26-09, 06:21 PM
Oh, NOW it's OK!:shakehead

Methanolandbrats
03-26-09, 06:34 PM
Oh, NOW it's OK!:shakehead You got a problem with shattered bones and closed head injuries :gomer:

Gnam
03-26-09, 06:46 PM
The injured/broken/dead drivers and their families would want Indy to exploit their misery because they know'd what Indy means! :gomer:

:mad:

NismoZ
03-28-09, 10:06 AM
I swear, it's a generational thing. Young TV people brought up on violent video games and NASCAR have merely brought their warped view of "athletic competition" to the new target audience. Could you avoid that recent neck-breaking motorcycle jump? How about the extreme skiier that just bought it? That Fed-Ex plane breaking up in Japan? "Great TV, man! You shoudda seen it! That'll help our ratings and sell some energy drink! Princess Di? Dave McDonald? What's the difference!? It's a money shot!"... Beyond irked.

chop456
03-28-09, 10:48 AM
Maybe the promo is intended to evoke a little hubris and thus interest from the drivers featured in it. Hell, if the IRL could get all their injured ex-drivers to watch the broadcasts, they might see a decent bump in ratings.

oddlycalm
03-28-09, 10:26 PM
I swear, it's a generational thing. Young TV people brought up on violent video games and NASCAR have merely brought their warped view of "athletic competition" to the new target audience. Could you avoid that recent neck-breaking motorcycle jump? How about the extreme skiier that just bought it? That Fed-Ex plane breaking up in Japan? "Great TV, man! You shoudda seen it! That'll help our ratings and sell some energy drink! Princess Di? Dave McDonald? What's the difference!? It's a money shot!"... Beyond irked.

I feel the same way but I gotta disagree on it being a generational thing. Violent entertainment reached art form status in the Roman collisium a couple thousand years back bloody spectacle wasn't exactly new then either.

Some people choose to pander to the lowest common denominator in society for profit, some don't. The IMS has never been on the right side of that equation since I started watching races there in 1962. It's the reason I walked away 10yrs later in 1972 and never looked back. It would take a top down change for me to reverse that decision and I don't see that happening. unless it gets sold.

oc

miatanut
03-28-09, 10:39 PM
The IMS has never been on the right side of that equation since I started watching races there in 1962. It's the reason I walked away 10yrs later in 1972 and never looked back. It would take a top down change for me to reverse that decision and I don't see that happening. unless it gets sold.

oc

Wouldn't it be '73? 1973 was the May from Hell. I lost my stomach for it for a couple years after that one, then I want back. May '92 was the end of Indy for me.

Same reasons. Standard Hulman/George family playbook.

NismoZ
03-29-09, 11:51 AM
You could be correct but I still think the target demographic has changed dramatically and that promo is ample evidence. All I know is it doesn't work for me and creates a negative and disgusting reaction. I changed cable providers once to see ChampCar but I would NEVER do it again for IndyCar.

oddlycalm
03-29-09, 05:19 PM
All I know is it doesn't work for me and creates a negative and disgusting reaction.

Agreed on that. What is behind their actions is less important than the fact they are doing it. I'd like to see the IMS called out publicly over it.

oc

High Sided
03-29-09, 10:23 PM
I changed cable providers once to see ChampCar but I would NEVER do it again for IndyCar.

how you like that Spike TV?

NismoZ
03-30-09, 11:09 AM
Network sucked. Liked the racing and the MXC!:)

Hard Driver
03-31-09, 01:55 PM
Just trying to get the NASCAR audience with the promise of a "big one" in every race.:thumdown: Like people have said, disgraceful ad because it does make crashing as the product instead of racing. However, if you see an ad for the NFL, often it is also just a hit highlight reel rather than showing a great catch or something. It is the "action" side of the sport. And without the risk of crashes, the sport would not be as thrilling.

I also notice that there is little or no road racing footage in the ad. And the ad is for Indycar, not the Indy 499.5. So the unified series with a mix of road, street and ovals is still polluted with only ovals in the advertising.:thumdown: