PDA

View Full Version : STS-119

dando
03-11-09, 09:59 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/03/11/shuttle.launch.preview/index.html

Launches @ 9:20 ET tonight. I'll be in FL in two weeks, so I'll miss seeing this in person. Just twelve more to go including this launch. :(

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
03-11-09, 11:43 AM
Wish them well.

I it good to see a successful program come to an end. Overall we can say that the space shuttles did their work, and some more.

RusH
03-11-09, 11:48 AM
The crew is also bringing up a couple of flags, including a green one representing the Andretti Racing Team. Pilot Tony Antonelli is expected to serve as the starter for a race after the shuttle's flight. Eight chocolate bars are going up too but are unlikely to come back.

:gomer:

dando
03-11-09, 11:48 AM
The shuttle never quite met expectations (or marketing), but the fact that they served us for almost 30 years being based on mostly 1970s tech is amazing in itself. I will miss them. :( I do vow to catch one of these in person before the shuttle is retired. I'll never forget the launch I accidentally saw from WDW in Oct '07.

-Kevin

KLang
03-11-09, 01:12 PM
Well shoot, I'll be in Orlando Thursday through Sunday. Hope you all don't mind if I hope for a one day delay. ;)

Gnam
03-11-09, 03:35 PM
Ha! Shuttle launch delayed 'til Thursday night. :D

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/11/national/a092215D96.DTL&tsp=1

KLang
03-11-09, 03:55 PM
Fuel leak is a bit more then I requested. :saywhat:

dando
03-11-09, 04:06 PM
Fuel leak is a bit more then I requested. :saywhat:

I'd hate to know what would have happened if I had asked for a 2 week delay. :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
03-11-09, 04:40 PM
Well shoot, I'll be in Orlando Thursday through Sunday. Hope you all don't mind if I hope for a one day delay. ;)
You're freaking me out, man!

Methanolandbrats
03-11-09, 05:43 PM
The shuttle never quite met expectations (or marketing), but the fact that they served us for almost 30 years being based on mostly 1970s tech is amazing in itself. I will miss them. :( I do vow to catch one of these in person before the shuttle is retired. I'll never forget the launch I accidentally saw from WDW in Oct '07.

-Kevin 1970s tech.......:saywhat:........it's amazing that anyone will get in it, kinda like strapping really big rockets to a K-Car with 220,000 on the clock and lighting the fuse. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
03-12-09, 03:48 PM

G.
03-12-09, 11:02 PM
Not before Sunday night.

nasa.gov

chop456
03-13-09, 02:47 AM
I have a crisp $20 for them if they'll delay it until Wednesday night. :thumbup:

KLang
03-13-09, 06:53 AM
They sure are having trouble getting this one off the ground. :(

Sean Malone
03-13-09, 08:47 AM
1970s tech.......:saywhat:........it's amazing that anyone will get in it, kinda like strapping really big rockets to a K-Car with 220,000 on the clock and lighting the fuse. :gomer:

It's the American way. Our biggest racing series still uses 50's technology. :)

Elmo T
03-13-09, 08:55 AM
1970s tech.......:saywhat:........it's amazing that anyone will get in it, kinda like strapping really big rockets to a K-Car with 220,000 on the clock and lighting the fuse. :gomer:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=93

dando
03-13-09, 09:24 AM
They sure are having trouble getting this one off the ground. :(

Now if I can just get them to delay until next Sunday, I'll watch the launch from Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom. ;)

Seriously, it's a good thing they found this issue, or it would have been catastrophic. :(

-Kevin

dando
03-13-09, 09:31 AM
1970s tech.......:saywhat:........it's amazing that anyone will get in it

I'd do it in a NY second. :)

-Kevin

chop456
03-13-09, 12:44 PM
Now if I can just get them to delay until next Sunday, I'll watch the launch from Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom because I can't go to Sebring, 1.5 hours away or my wife will scold me.

Fixed. :D

dando
03-13-09, 01:38 PM
Fixed. :D

Dude, think Tomorrowland Speedway. :gomer: @ least they got rid of the Crapwagon they had in front of the ride a couple of years ago. Must not be included in the new TV contract with the broadcast partner. :tony:

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-13-09, 03:03 PM
Dude, think Tomorrowland Speedway. :gomer: @ least they got rid of the Crapwagon they had in front of the ride a couple of years ago. Must not be included in the new TV contract with the broadcast partner. :tony:

-Kevin

No more IRL swag at the stand outside there either.

dando
03-13-09, 03:08 PM
No more IRL swag at the stand outside there either.

:thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
03-17-09, 08:43 PM
Shuttle and ISS flyover tonight around 7:30pm PST. :thumbup:

You can check exact times for your town here: www.heavens-above.com/selecttown.asp?CountryID=US

Elmo T
03-17-09, 09:11 PM
We caught a nice flyover tonight 1939 Eastern time. :thumbup:

Right over the top.

emjaya
03-18-09, 08:29 AM
4.45 am. :yawn: :)

dando
03-18-09, 09:56 AM
Stowaway.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/03/18/bat.shuttle/index.html

A bat that apparently had trouble flying instead tried to hitch a ride on the space shuttle Discovery, NASA officials said.

The free tail bat was last seen clinging to the space shuttle Discovery's external fuel tank just before launch.

The animal was last seen clinging on the foam of the external tank of the space shuttle moments before the Discovery launched, officials said.

NASA officials had hoped the bat would fly away on its own, but admitted the bat probably died quickly during Discovery's climb into orbit.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-18-09, 12:11 PM
Yesterday I tuned in to watch the docking and while waiting I heard an interesting exchange. Apparently the ISS has only two functioning noise canceling headsets and they crew thought they were going to get more.

This was important enough for them that even before docking the shuttle crew was looking for them. When they couldn't find them, mission control checked and found they were taken off the manifest.

Shuttle crew member says,"Then I'll stop looking for them"

ISS member comes on and quite angrily says, "If you want six crew members up here you better get this to the top of the list. We only have two that work. This is ridiculous..." And on and on he went.

A little later mission control told the shuttle that they would be in radio lock with the ISS as 5000 meters and they were currently at 36,000 meters. Shuttle commander comes back with "You're going to have to put that in terms we can understand. How long?"

Reply: "5-10 minutes"

Not exactly the cool professionals we saw in Apollo 13.

dando
03-18-09, 12:24 PM
This was important enough for them that even before docking the shuttle crew was looking for them. When they couldn't find them, mission control checked and found they were taken off the manifest.

Shuttle crew member says,"Then I'll stop looking for them"

ISS member comes on and quite angrily says, "If you want six crew members up here you better get this to the top of the list. We only have two that work. This is ridiculous..." And on and on he went.

Can't they just Fedex them? :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Gnam
03-28-09, 04:01 PM
Back home. :thumbup:
During re-entry they tested a new bumpy heat shield tile. They hope the new shape can lower temperatures by disrupting the hypersonic air flow. But what if the bumps melt off? :p

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/25/national/a001050D54.DTL&tsp=1

Next up, STS-120 mission to fix Hubble scheduled for May. Atlantis moves to pad on Tuesday.