PDA

View Full Version : One HUGE Pit Window

Gurneyflap
01-11-03, 04:20 PM
Good catch on the refueling topic, WB, worried me too...BUT, I was still wondering...What do you think the motive is behind the idea? Safety? Economy? Competition? I think a one stop rule with a BIG window and no yellow stops would preserve a tradition, heighten excitement, ADD to the competition and make me a happier fan! I have concerns about cars with more fuel, more weight, less power (I think) and, well, boredom! I know the Atlantics run without stops and they are entertaining, but a stop is one more thing to differentiate the top rung of the ladder. Keep up the good work...but good luck!

WickerBill
01-11-03, 04:22 PM
So you're saying eliminate the early early early stops, and the late splashes? Have a big window in the middle, say, 80% of the race?

Hmmm.

I'm *all for* the no yellow stops rule. I think Parker mentioned this two years ago during a broadcast and I instantly thought it was great.

WB

RaceGrrl
01-11-03, 04:50 PM
Hey GF, it's hard enough being a chick and being heard around here without you attributing my idea to someone else. :D

Gurneyflap
01-11-03, 09:32 PM
Ahcch...you know me. I'm fairly oblivious...a lot of times I don't know if I'm on page 1 or 2...glad we agree though!

Mike Kellner
01-11-03, 10:56 PM
I would allow fuel tanks large enough that they outlast a set of tires. That way we'd have fuel strategies played out in many interesting ways. You wouldn't know if or when the competition was going to stop again.

mk

Napoleon
01-12-03, 09:35 AM
I like the idea. It could make for some interesting races.

cart7
01-12-03, 10:04 AM
If the fuel tank was large enough to go the distance, it would make for interesting set-ups and strategies during the race. I'd like to see a giant pit window with a fuel tank large enough to go the distance at a given MPG. You can drive it harder and faster but you'll pay for it by having to add a fuel splash. Or, you could conserve, spare the tires, and cut a stop out. I don't know how this would work out.

BTW, I don't mean going back to fuel allotments per race. Give the teams all the fuel they need and let them decide how they want to use it.;)

RTKar
01-12-03, 11:28 AM
Another point in the equation is the drivers/teams ability to run "rich" or run "lean". Without refueling I suppose it would be a moot point and you would certainly have to run "full rich" but with refueling, dialing in a fuel strategy becomes a key as to how the race will play out. As much as I enjoyed attending the races at MIS, it became almost laughable how no one wanted to lead the race because of the aero package/fuel strategy situation. With a large refueling window, my guess would be that everyone would start the race on full tanks, run it down as much as possible towards the end to have less fuel therefore a lighter quicker car, how that weight change impacted the handling along with tire wear would really be the only question. Yellows, would of course impact that scenario but I really foresee only one basic strategy played out every race, instead of that I think I'd prefer to see no fuel stops and hard racing all the way til the end.

RTKar
01-12-03, 11:47 AM
......or, as I think about this more, you could start with half tanks, race for track position on a light load and re-fuel at halfway or so to have enough fuel at the end, ending the race on a light load obviously impacted by yellows.

Lizzerd
01-12-03, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't a one stop rule or a no stop possibility open up another can of worms? Like, wouldn't it force Bridgestone to develop an even harder compound?

I thought one of the things being blamed for a lack of passing last season was that the tires weren't sticky enough for heavy braking. And, that they stayed consistent during long runs, meaning somebody with new tires had no handling advantage over someone with old tires.

I think a mandatory one stop rule would be great, say in the middle third (must be green flag). Adding fuel optional. Any pitting at any other time under yellow is allowed.

Gurneyflap
01-12-03, 03:04 PM
Hmmmm...now I AM screwed-up! No, I say EVERYbody has to start on full tanks, stop ONCE in a big window and NOT get to stop under yellow. Take the LUCK out of it. (as much as you can) You know guys win by the "luck of the yellow" as much as anything else. Hell, we even speculate on those that bring a yellow out on purpose, or the "clowns" in the booth who call for a yellow (or DON'T) and alter the race outcome. Keep one stop for the sake of tradition and excitement (fan interest), but edit out other things that may create simply a "lucky guess" winner. There's enough guessing on set-up, tires, wings etc. as it is!