PDA

View Full Version : NFL 09

Pages : [1] 2

Don Quixote
03-02-09, 10:50 AM
What a great weekend for a Broncos hater. Cutler gets his feelings hurt and Brandon Marshall falls a little short of his pledge to never get in trouble again.

Andrew Longman
03-02-09, 11:19 AM
Cassel and Vrabel to KC for almost nothing? I found that surprising to say the least. Cassels success all due to coaching and "the system" I suppose.

Insomniac
03-02-09, 11:35 AM
Cassel and Vrabel to KC for almost nothing? I found that surprising to say the least. Cassels success all due to coaching and "the system" I suppose.

Wouldn't Pioli, out of anyone, know that?

I know I sound like a homer saying this, but that idea is simply ridiculous. If it was "the system" then Drew Bledsoe would've had no problem running it. Cassel became a better QB over the course of the season. Their running game wasn't particularly impressive. Over the course of the season he got better and better (less sacks, was reading the whole progression, identifying defenses). He can make all the throws. What more does a QB need to do for almost any other system? He displayed intangibles. The Patriots system is complex, so he was able to learn it and execute it. They change their game plan week to week.

The trade is mind boggling to me for sure. KC is the clear winner. A lot of teams are going to look stupid next year (the Patriots included unless they put the cap space to use very soon) when Cassel was taken for a 2nd round pick. (Also, word is a 1st and 3rd may've been on the table for a 3-team trade.)

Insomniac
03-02-09, 11:36 AM
What a great weekend for a Broncos hater. Cutler gets his feelings hurt and Brandon Marshall falls a little short of his pledge to never get in trouble again.

Peter King says Cutler asked for a trade a while ago. So it's really fake outrage now.

Don Quixote
03-02-09, 12:29 PM
Peter King says Cutler asked for a trade a while ago. So it's really fake outrage now. I hadn't heard this. Amazing, did he feel like he was underappreciated? He probably wants to be traded because his receivers run the wrong routes and drop his passes and make him look bad, and the Bronco's defense is not worthy of his excellence. He might be the whiniest little baby in the league.

Easy
03-02-09, 12:29 PM
Whats not mentioned in the Cassell, Vrabel to KC trade is all the gorgeous, married KC women Pioli is hooking Belicheck up with. He knows Belicheck's weak spot.

Don Quixote
03-02-09, 12:30 PM
Also, Kellen Winlsow. discuss.

dando
03-02-09, 12:40 PM
I hadn't heard this. Amazing, did he feel like he was underappreciated? He probably wants to be traded because his receivers run the wrong routes and drop his passes and make him look bad, and the Bronco's defense is not worthy of his excellence. He might be the whiniest little baby in the league.

Cutler needs to change his pad...or diaper. ;)

-Kevin

dando
03-02-09, 01:14 PM

The warrior? Good move by the Clowns. I thought TJ was supposed to decide by Sunday? It's now Monday? :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-02-09, 01:15 PM
The Pats have to be awfully confident in Brady's knee if they traded away Cassel.

And in the Buff, another offseason, another arrest for Marshawn Lynch. Misdemeanor gun charges plus being high as a kite at the time of arrest do not put you in the good graces of either your team or the league. No word yet on how long he'll be suspended for.

dando
03-02-09, 01:37 PM
WTF are y'all doing signing our starting QB...well, for last season anyway. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-02-09, 01:38 PM
I hadn't heard this. Amazing, did he feel like he was underappreciated? He probably wants to be traded because his receivers run the wrong routes and drop his passes and make him look bad, and the Bronco's defense is not worthy of his excellence. He might be the whiniest little baby in the league.

All Peter King said (in MMQB (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/01/freeagency/index.html)) was:

I heard one other interesting thing Sunday: Cutler asked for a trade shortly after the Broncos lost offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates -- Cutler's confidant -- to USC after the season.

Insomniac
03-02-09, 01:40 PM

I don't think he lived up to being the player he was drafted as (the accident could be a reason). I think Cleveland avoided having to deal with contract demands/problems. That's a good thing.

Insomniac
03-02-09, 01:42 PM
The Pats have to be awfully confident in Brady's knee if they traded away Cassel.

Or Kevin O'Connell (3rd rd pick last year) as the backup. ;) Or it's just the system and they can plug and pray. :D

Don Quixote
03-03-09, 04:59 PM
Who is Cutler being traded to today? :D

dando
03-03-09, 05:13 PM

I think they mentioned Minnesota on E$PN Radio earlier.

-Kevin

dando
03-03-09, 09:10 PM

I heard Cutler to the Brownies for Brady Queen and Shaun Rogers on the way home tonight. :laugh: :gomer:

Unfortunately E$PN.com reports that the Cutler sweepstakes is over.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3949578

Bummer. :(

-Kevin

nrc
03-03-09, 10:53 PM
In other news Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman are supposed to visit for the Bengals backup job. :eek: I'd have rather had Kitna back.

Don Quixote
03-03-09, 11:04 PM
Rex Grossman?! Maybe the Bungles should try for Griese instead.

Don Quixote
03-03-09, 11:05 PM
I heard Cutler to the Brownies for Brady Queen and Shaun Rogers on the way home tonight. :laugh: :gomer:

Unfortunately E$PN.com reports that the Cutler sweepstakes is over.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3949578

Bummer. :(

-Kevin Mark my word, Bungle boy, Brady Quinn will make your life miserable for years to come. :p :D And I agree, the Cutler story should go on a little longer.

Tony George
03-04-09, 02:29 AM
Rex Grossman?! Maybe the Bungles should try for Griese instead.

Do either of these guys have a criminal record? Otherwise, we don't want them. :gomer:

chop456
03-04-09, 03:17 AM
Do either of these guys have a criminal record?

Grossman should be charged with impersonating an NFL quarterback. Does that count?

dando
03-04-09, 08:53 AM
I'd have rather had Kitna back.

No crap. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-04-09, 09:04 AM
In other news Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman are supposed to visit for the Bengals backup job. :eek: I'd have rather had Kitna back.

JP won't play second banana to Edwards in Buffalo but he's willing to play second banana for the Bengals? In what world does that make sense?

Don Quixote
03-04-09, 09:40 AM
Grossman should be charged with impersonating an NFL quarterback. Does that count? :rofl:

Don Quixote
03-04-09, 09:46 AM
Another Cutler article. wojciechowski (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3946294&sportCat=nfl)

Will someone please give Jay Cutler his pacifier, hand him his favorite blankie and put him back in his crib for his afternoon nap? Because if he cries anymore about a trade that didn't happen, we'll have to check his Pampers.

Cutler is kicking and screaming. Poor baby. He stiffed the Broncos when they requested a kiss-and-make-up session. Word is he won't even talk to McDaniels on the phone.

:laugh:
I wonder if Cutler is reading this stuff?

Ankf00
03-04-09, 09:12 PM
simms vs. cutler

:gomer:

chop456
03-05-09, 03:37 AM
Terrell Owens, a former San Francisco 49er and a former Philadelphia Eagle, is now a former Dallas Cowboy. The Cowboys released the wide receiver late Wednesday, according to published reports.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/05/cowboys.owens/index.html

FTG
03-05-09, 09:16 AM
Do you want TO on your team?

I said when the Cowboys picked him up he's good for a year, then he becomes a cancer. Wonder if Snyder will bite.

Don Quixote
03-05-09, 09:17 AM
Maybe the Dodgers will pick him up to play alongside Manny. :gomer:

Insomniac
03-05-09, 01:16 PM
Do you want TO on your team?

I said when the Cowboys picked him up he's good for a year, then he becomes a cancer. Wonder if Snyder will bite.

Redskins and Giants say no. Leaves the Raiders to pay big.

dando
03-05-09, 02:25 PM
Redskins and Giants say no. Leaves the Raiders to pay big.

Pats. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-05-09, 03:22 PM

-Kevin

I'd be shocked if they pay big. They'd want something where they could dump him at any time. I think some people look at Randy Moss as a similar situation. At least from what I read, the Patriots felt that Moss was just miserable losing. Personally, that's still bad character, but I guess they were confident that being in a better place would cure all ails. It seemed to have, even with Brady going down Moss didn't turn into a turd. T.O. can't shut up, period. Winning, losing. He always has to talk to the media. He has a lot of changing to fit into the Patriots Way. The only thing he would bring to the Patriots is he'd fill the whole open for a second outside receiver. On paper, it would be quite the WR core. It would certainly be interesting to see if it's the guy or the environment that would win out.

Easy
03-05-09, 04:41 PM
Al Davis' 2009 off season shopping list:

Terrell Owens
Adam Jones
Plaxico Burress
Brendon Marshall
Andre Smith

Andrew Longman
03-05-09, 04:41 PM

-Kevin

Don't think so . They are only $2mil under the cap and they haven't drafted anyone yet.

Wherever he goes he's getting a pay cut. I this market and economy, the big bucks are already gone. He could wind up back in Dallas on a highly reduced salary, though I'd bet on Oakland.

I also think between NFL discipline and teams looking at the super bowl winners the last few years and how they are constructed, teams no longer have much patience for nut job WRs.

Solid teammates like Fitzgerald, and Ward are now the prototype IMO. Even Moss is a changed player in NE

Insomniac
03-05-09, 05:52 PM
Don't think so . They are only $2mil under the cap and they haven't drafted anyone yet.

Wherever he goes he's getting a pay cut. I this market and economy, the big bucks are already gone. He could wind up back in Dallas on a highly reduced salary, though I'd bet on Oakland.

I also think between NFL discipline and teams looking at the super bowl winners the last few years and how they are constructed, teams no longer have much patience for nut job WRs.

Solid teammates like Fitzgerald, and Ward are now the prototype IMO. Even Moss is a changed player in NE

Pats have a little over $12M in cap room. I also disagree the big bucks are gone. There's still plenty out there, but no one deserving of it. It's looking like there isn't going to be a big market for T.O., so he'll take a pay cut (and possible a prove it deal with an option bonus in 2010).

Pats also just traded for Eagle's WR Greg Lewis.

Andrew Longman
03-05-09, 07:01 PM
Pats have a little over $12M in cap room. I also disagree the big bucks are gone. There's still plenty out there, but no one deserving of it. It's looking like there isn't going to be a big market for T.O., so he'll take a pay cut (and possible a prove it deal with an option bonus in 2010).

Pats also just traded for Eagle's WR Greg Lewis.

That's not what I heard on the radio yesterday. And it was given as the reason why they only got a #2 in the trade with KC. They don't want a #1 because they can't pay it. (though why not take it ans trade it for a bunch lower cost picks/players?:confused:)

Lewis gone from the Eagles? A bad passing game just got worse.

Insomniac
03-05-09, 07:23 PM
That's not what I heard on the radio yesterday. And it was given as the reason why they only got a #2 in the trade with KC. They don't want a #1 because they can't pay it. (though why not take it ans trade it for a bunch lower cost picks/players?:confused:)

Lewis gone from the Eagles? A bad passing game just got worse.

They were tight until they traded Cassel. That cleared nearly $15M off the cap. The best explanation I have on the Cassel trade is New England shopped him all week before free agency began. They spoke to Tampa multiple times and they said they weren't interested. (And they weren't, they (and supposedly Detroit) wanted Cutler.) Free Agency starts, they agree to trade Vrabel Friday (no idea why) and finalize the Cassel trade all for the 2nd rd pick. Schefter breaks the deal and Denver/Tampa Bay try and get in, but it's too late. The paperwork was submitted by the time Schefter reported it and Belichick wasn't going to go back on his agreement with Pioli. Josh McDaniels had over a month to figure out he wanted Cassel and simply waited too long. They should've had the agreement to move Cutler done before free agency started.

I think this is a situation where if NE had waited, they would've gotten more, but at the time they did the deal, they had very little cap room and only KC was interested. They probably feared being stuck with his $15M contract and by the time other suitors came around, it was either too late or Belichick would've had to go back on his agreement with Pioli/KC.

Bottom line, Belichick wasn't staring at KC's #2 for Vrabel and Cassel vs. someone else's #1 for Cassel. If he was, they'd have the #1 pick right now.

racermike
03-06-09, 05:09 PM
Pretty nice pickup by the Seahawks in snagging Wideout TJ Houshmandzadeh away from the Bengals. Makes for an even more intriguing 4th pick in the draft now.

We need a better SS, and O-Line, but I still see them taking WR Crabtree as their #4 pick. Four wideout set with Branch, Burleson, Crabtree, and Houshmandzadeh would be fun to watch.

If we stay healthy this year .. look out

Insomniac
03-07-09, 11:16 AM
Pretty nice pickup by the Seahawks in snagging Wideout TJ Houshmandzadeh away from the Bengals. Makes for an even more intriguing 4th pick in the draft now.

We need a better SS, and O-Line, but I still see them taking WR Crabtree as their #4 pick. Four wideout set with Branch, Burleson, Crabtree, and Houshmandzadeh would be fun to watch.

If we stay healthy this year .. look out

Hopefully this is the year Branch is healthy.

nrc
03-07-09, 06:33 PM

Sorry to see TJ go. He has great hands, runs good routes, and is fearless after the catch. There was a stat a couple of seasons ago that said he dropped fewer passes than anyone in the league. It will be interesting to see how he does against defenses that aren't schemed to shutdown Chad Johnson.

The Bengals filled the spot with Laveranues Coles from the Jets. I wouldn't trade him even up for TJ but his stats actually stack up pretty well against him in every department except total catches.

I hope the Seahawks take Crabtree because I wouldn't want the Bengals to be tempted. They need help on both lines and if they can't get one of the top OTs or the top DT they should try to trade down.

TKGAngel
03-07-09, 06:46 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

http://www.wgr550.com/Report--T-O--Visiting-Buffalo/3978131

Update: Bills are holding 6:15 news conference. Spec is to annouce TO's signing.

Don Quixote
03-07-09, 07:24 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

I'm sure it will work out, this time. :laugh:

TKGAngel
03-07-09, 07:28 PM
I'm sure it will work out, this time. :laugh:

And if they're wrong, it's only a one year, $6.5 million dollar deal down the drain. I'm just shocked.

Is Marshawn not enough of a distraction that we need TO?

FTG
03-07-09, 07:40 PM
Is Marshawn not enough of a distraction that we need TO?

What's your concern. Instead of 6-10 TO will drag them down to 5-11? Good way to remind the rest of the country the Bills haven't moved to Toronto yet.

Andrew Longman
03-07-09, 08:07 PM
I'm happy TO is out of the NFC

I feel badly for the Bills QB crew

I feel bad for Buffalo. I have family there.

At least TO will not get as much attention in a small NFL media market. Maybe no one will notice the next time he act like an asswipe

TKGAngel
03-07-09, 11:37 PM
What's your concern. Instead of 6-10 TO will drag them down to 5-11? Good way to remind the rest of the country the Bills haven't moved to Toronto yet.

1. We don't need an attention grabbing yahoo / locker room cancer on the team.

2. After reading some of the ish he's pulled with quarterbacks in the past (Romo, McNabb), I really don't want to see him destroy Trent Edwards. The kid is good, and Owens could derail any development. And there's no JP acting as safety net for Trent this year.

3. Spec is that the Bills signed TO to help boost sagging ticket sales.

4. The Bills / Toronto thing is still seen as iffy on both sides of the border. Fans here complained about losing one of our home games. Canucks complained that the atmosphere at Rogers was cold and sterile, nothing like attending a game in the States. Players complained that it was cold and sterile.

pfc_m_drake
03-08-09, 11:15 AM

Well, I'm giving up my season tickets after this one - so there's at least one example of where it's not working out.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more ridiculous :shakehead

dando
03-08-09, 11:38 AM

2. After reading some of the ish he's pulled with quarterbacks in the past (Romo, McNabb), I really don't want to see him destroy Trent Edwards. The kid is good, and Owens could derail any development. And there's no JP acting as safety net for Trent this year.

4. The Bills / Toronto thing is still seen as iffy on both sides of the border. Fans here complained about losing one of our home games. Canucks complained that the atmosphere at Rogers was cold and sterile, nothing like attending a game in the States. Players complained that it was cold and sterile.

Look on the bright side, Pacman and Tank are still available, too. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-08-09, 12:45 PM

Moss vs. T.O. 2x this season. Big question is, can Edwards handle him? From my perspective, the root is he thinks he can do more when he has the ball in his hands. I don't know if it's about stats or he just feels he's the best and if he's open (in his mind) he should be getting the ball. Can Edwards tell him to STFU when he starts thinking/saying it?

dando
03-08-09, 01:00 PM
Can Edwards tell him to STFU when he starts thinking/saying it?

Doubtful (IMO). The best thing about this deal is that it's only for a year. Perhaps TO will be on his best behavior to prove himself.

EDIT: SI guy likes the move (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/03/07/TO.bills.reax/index.html?eref=T1).

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-08-09, 03:49 PM
Doubtful (IMO). The best thing about this deal is that it's only for a year. Perhaps TO will be on his best behavior to prove himself.

EDIT: SI guy likes the move (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/03/07/TO.bills.reax/index.html?eref=T1).

-Kevin

I think a lot of people will assume it will be OK for a year. That he'll have a good honeymoon before turning turd (kind of like Corey Dillon, except he wasn't a public nuisance). I don't think I can say for sure what gets T.O. into a tizzy. In Philly it was money. In Dallas it was Romo and Witten coming up with plays and T.O. wasn't the go to guy/first read. I don't remember what it was in SF. I remember some yelling on the sidelines and TD celebrations gone wild. I think the Garcia/rat thing happened after he was traded to Philly.

dando
03-08-09, 08:21 PM
I think a lot of people will assume it will be OK for a year. That he'll have a good honeymoon before turning turd (kind of like Corey Dillon, except he wasn't a public nuisance). I don't think I can say for sure what gets T.O. into a tizzy. In Philly it was money. In Dallas it was Romo and Witten coming up with plays and T.O. wasn't the go to guy/first read. I don't remember what it was in SF. I remember some yelling on the sidelines and TD celebrations gone wild. I think the Garcia/rat thing happened after he was traded to Philly.

Don't forget the "I'm not playing in Bmore" temper tantrum as well. I'm sure the Garcia/coaching feud precipitated his exit from SF. Sell high, buy low, yo.

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-09-09, 03:09 PM
Don't forget the "I'm not playing in Bmore" temper tantrum as well. I'm sure the Garcia/coaching feud precipitated his exit from SF. Sell high, buy low, yo.

-Kevin

Ahh yes. That was a weird situation. However, IIRC, T.O. was in the right and was on the verge of winning free agency before they negotiated the settlement that sent him to the Eagles and a draft pick to Baltimore.

Don Quixote
03-11-09, 12:03 PM
In the continuing saga, which is the soap opera called "Jay Cutler's Life", a conference call was held yesterday with the little pouty baby, his agent, coach, and owner. The long and the short of it is Jay still has his little feelings hurt, and he is unlikely to report to off season training. Compare his horrible and difficult life to a soldier's in Afganistan going out on patrol every day putting their life on the line for our freedom, or to the laid off autoworker who is trying to put food on the table and support a family. Jay's leadership should be an inspiration to us all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968896

Don Quixote
03-11-09, 12:05 PM

-Kevin
Quiz: For ten points, name one other famous NFLer who played the "won't play in Baltimore" card.

dando
03-11-09, 12:07 PM
Quiz: For ten points, name one other famous NFLer who played the "won't play in Baltimore" card.

Elway. :p

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-11-09, 12:10 PM
Elway. :p

-KevinThat was fast. :thumbup:

dando
03-11-09, 12:11 PM
That was fast. :thumbup:

And no Google to boot. :)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-12-09, 05:56 AM
And no Google to boot. :)

-Kevin

Did you also recall that he played class A ball for the Yankees that summer to hedge his bets?

And who remembers that the Colts #1 pick the year before was Art Schlichter who ran up gambling debt so large he needed FBI protection? If he wasn't a flop, Elway wouldn't have figured in the scheme.

Or that Colts coach was run out of ASU for assaulting a punter?

A train wreck I hardly blame Elway for avoiding, though I thought it was crap at the time.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925961-1,00.html

dando
03-12-09, 09:49 AM
Did you also recall that he played class A ball for the Yankees that summer to hedge his bets?

And who remembers that the Colts #1 pick the year before was Art Schlichter who ran up gambling debt so large he needed FBI protection? If he wasn't a flop, Elway wouldn't have figured in the scheme.

Or that Colts coach was run out of ASU for assaulting a punter?

A train wreck I hardly blame Elway for avoiding, though I thought it was crap at the time.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925961-1,00.html

Yes, because there was talk about him coming to Cbus toplay for the Clippers.

There was all kinds of talk about Schlichter betting on horsies while @ OSU.

Frank Kush.

:)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-12-09, 09:54 AM
Elways feint to baseball was more to create leverage to make the deal happen between the Colts and Broncos. "If the deal didn't happen, I will be a Yankee."

As for assaulting a punter, does that really count?

dando
03-16-09, 07:44 AM
The mess in Denver gets messier:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

Plus, Cutler and his 'rents have their houses on market.

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-16-09, 09:04 AM
As a fan of his abilities, I think what's going on with my team's QB sucks really bad.

As a fan of the Broncos and Colts, he's starting to remind me of Jeff George.

Don Quixote
03-16-09, 09:41 AM
Long term, the team would be better off without him. I get the sense that his attitude and immaturity are things that he will not grow out of, like Jeff George. To see him stare down his receivers and o-linemen when they make a mistake, and yell at his coaches on the sideline. He is not leader material. Give me a guy with lesser abilities that knows how to lead anytime.

dando
03-16-09, 09:44 AM
Long term, the team would be better off without him. I get the sense that his attitude and immaturity are things that he will not grow out of, like Jeff George. To see him stare down his receivers and o-linemen when they make a mistake, and yell at his coaches on the sideline. He is not leader material. Give me a guy with lesser abilities that knows how to lead anytime.

The Browns were mentioned as a possible destination this AM on Mike & Mike. Karma, biotch. :gomer: :laugh: :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-16-09, 10:23 AM
Cutler better grow up and understand this is a business and coaches are the authority. Any player is one decision away from being cut.

McDaniels told him that. And he told him that he wanted him as QB. But Cutler feels that he was trying to antagonize him? Jeff George-like indeed.

Pity the team that lands him. Browns do seem like a possibility, though he and Mangini would get along soooo well. Skins too IMO. Detroit? Tampa? Vikes?

The thing is he might not even land a starting job. There are not that many openings in places with stupid management.

Don Quixote
03-16-09, 11:27 AM
Don't the Browns already have two starting QB's? What am I missing here? Have they given up on Brady Quinn!!?? BQ can read defenses better than Cutler with his eyes closed. Rocket arms are overrated. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
03-16-09, 11:46 AM
Don't the Browns already have two starting QB's? What am I missing here?

Stop. You're killing me. It's the Browns. And Cutler is toxic. Get it?

dando
03-16-09, 12:58 PM
Don't the Browns already have two starting QB's? What am I missing here? Have they given up on Brady Quinn!!?? BQ can read defenses better than Cutler with his eyes closed. Rocket arms are overrated. :gomer:

Dude, it's the Brownies. 'nuff said. :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-16-09, 01:00 PM
Rumor has him being traded on draft day for Quinn and a third rounder. Oh boy.

Don Quixote
03-16-09, 01:20 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TKGAngel
03-16-09, 02:35 PM
Rumor has him being traded on draft day for Quinn and a third rounder. Oh boy.

Buffalo News spec says Cutler to Detroit for the 1st pick and something else.

Don Quixote
03-16-09, 02:41 PM
Buffalo News spec says Cutler to Detroit for the 1st pick and something else. Now that's a deal I can go with. :D

dando
03-16-09, 03:51 PM
and something else.

Matt Millen's corpse? ;)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-16-09, 04:43 PM
Matt Millen's corpse? ;)

-Kevin
But then who would give expert commentary from the studio? :D

Andrew Longman
03-16-09, 05:06 PM
Buffalo News spec says Cutler to Detroit for the 1st pick and something else.

That will learn him to shut up and do as the boss says.

Hope he likes trading his $2 mil house with a view of the Rockies for a house in Southfield with a view of I96.

As for the something else, if I'm Denver I'd only take additional picks. A few of them

WickerBill
03-18-09, 06:09 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/report-cook-was-begging-for-cutler-trade/

Don Quixote
03-18-09, 08:58 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/report-cook-was-begging-for-cutler-trade/ Not surprising, when you think about it. Sports agents are one of the lowest forms of life.

dando
03-18-09, 01:48 PM
Not surprising, when you think about it. Sports agents are the lowest form of life.

Fixed that for ya. Boras and Rosenhaus make Bonds look like a saint. :(

-Kevin

chop456
03-26-09, 03:00 AM
March 26, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
Count the Bears among the 10 teams that have contacted the Denver Broncos about quarterback Jay Cutler -- if you believe the number is that low.

Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday that the Bears have reached out to the Broncos about Cutler, who has requested a trade. The extent of that discussion is unknown, but it's evident that general manager Jerry Angelo -- to use his pet phrase -- is doing his due diligence.

They could do worse. :saywhat:

Don Quixote
03-26-09, 09:33 AM
They could do worse. :saywhat: In a perfect world, the Bears would trade three criminals to be named later for Cutler, and then make him play backup to Grossman. :)

Tim
03-26-09, 11:06 AM
The Bears would still only have the 2nd best QB in the division.

JLMannin
03-26-09, 11:50 AM
Since there's no "NFL 2011" thread, I'll post this here.
A longer, better NFL season for 2011 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20090326_Morning_Report__A_longer__better_NFL_seas on.html)

The extra games would be in place of existing pre-season games, according to the article.

Don Quixote
03-26-09, 02:33 PM
One of my kids just told me that the ESPN ticker said that Favre has been invited to the Brown's camp. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
03-26-09, 02:54 PM
I've been invited to the Steeler's camp. :thumbup:

http://news.steelers.com/article/103818/

Andrew Longman
03-26-09, 04:02 PM
I've been invited to the Steeler's camp. :thumbup:

http://news.steelers.com/article/103818/

You can stay in the same dorm rooms as the players, eat in the team cafeteria and practice on the same field as the Six-Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers have done for the past 42 years at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA.

But do you get to be completely de-cleated by Hines Ward or Polamalu?

dando
03-30-09, 11:41 AM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/nfl-directv-extend-nfl-sunday-tickettm-agreement--season/

The National Football League announced today an agreement to extend DIRECTV's rights to carry NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM). DIRECTV will continue to have exclusive television rights to air the package of Sunday afternoon games through the 2014 NFL season.

:mad: :flame: :saywhat:

It continues to amaze me that Congress stuck their nose into the proposed MLB/DirecTV exclusive deal, but doesn't do squat about the NFL exclusivity. :irked:

In addition, the NFL will offer fans (also no later than 2012) a new "Red Zone Channel" that shows crucial live action cut-ins of all Sunday afternoon games starting at 1 p.m. ET and continuing through the conclusion of the 4 p.m. ET games. The "Red Zone Channel" will be available to cable, telco and satellite systems, wireless devices, and the Internet.

If this thing is anything like the stream on the NFL Network site during NFL Net games, it will be guilty of bit abuse. :thumdown:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-30-09, 01:15 PM
Red Zone channel is the very best part of Sunday Ticket, and it isn't even close.

nrc
03-30-09, 11:20 PM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/nfl-directv-extend-nfl-sunday-tickettm-agreement--season/

:mad: :flame: :saywhat:

It continues to amaze me that Congress stuck their nose into the proposed MLB/DirecTV exclusive deal, but doesn't do squat about the NFL exclusivity. :irked:

The deal was renewed early, with no indication that it was afoot, and no sign of discussions with the cable industry. They also threw in the bone of allowing broad band access for those whoe can't get DirecTV. It seems like it may have been a very calculated move to head off any intervention from Congress.

With a 4 Buhillion dollar deal, Sunday Ticket subscribers had better limber up their check writing arm.

dando
03-31-09, 10:35 AM
The deal was renewed early, with no indication that it was afoot, and no sign of discussions with the cable industry. They also threw in the bone of allowing broad band access for those whoe can't get DirecTV. It seems like it may have been a very calculated move to head off any intervention from Congress.

With a 4 Buhillion dollar deal, Sunday Ticket subscribers had better limber up their check writing arm.

Obviously the NFL is way smarter than MLB. Oh, and the check writing just won't be for Joe the Plumbers @ home. The subscription co$t for watering holes will also go up, so the cost for a beverage @ the local watering hole just went up as well. :irked:

EDIT: Lockout insurance for 2011. The NFL gets paid even if it locks out the players in '11:

Even if games are not played in 2011, the NFL's deal with DirecTV calls for the league to be paid the billion-dollar rights fee, a source close to the talks told SI.com here at the league meetings.

That certainly won't drive the league away from the bargaining table with new NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith when negotiations begin this spring, but it will give the owners a powerful strike fund of approximately $31 million per team in 2011.

The league's current deal with DirecTV runs through the 2010 season. By announcing the new satellite deal so far in advance of its effective date, and by quietly publicizing that the rights fees in a bad economy have grown from $700 million a year to $1 billion, the NFL is showing the players that it has a war chest and won't be pressured into making a deal it doesn't want just for the sake of avoiding a work stoppage in 2011.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/24/meetings/index.html

:saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-31-09, 12:12 PM
What's the cost of Sunday Ticket? Just curious as to whether it's close to NHL levels ($169/season) for less games.

And in other news, reports of Ralph Wilson's demise have been greatly exaggerated. But this story is just another example of how powerful the internet has become in this day and age.

dando
03-31-09, 12:46 PM
What's the cost of Sunday Ticket? Just curious as to whether it's close to NHL levels ($169/season) for less games.

Try about double that. Last I heard it was ~$300 for a season. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
04-01-09, 09:28 AM
Broncos/Cutler :laugh: :gomer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4031893

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-01-09, 09:46 AM
Broncos/Cutler :laugh: :gomer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4031893

-KevinIf a comet hit the earth today, it would not knock the cutler story off the front page. :D

Don Quixote
04-01-09, 09:50 AM
New rule for the forum: No April fools jokes regarding Cutler to the Browns. :laugh:

FTG
04-01-09, 09:57 AM
Lions should go for it. I'd trade both first round picks for Cutler.

dando
04-01-09, 10:15 AM
New rule for the forum: No April fools jokes regarding Cutler to the Browns. :laugh:

Nah. My mom taught me not to make fun of those 'less gifted' than myself. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-01-09, 10:46 AM
Last Year, NFLST auto-renewal was $250. $100 for the SuperFan option which adds things like HD games, Red Zone channel, online streaming and 30-min game replays.

I wish they'd provide a PPV option for the games. $10 for SD, $15 for HD or something. $40/day is too high.

Insomniac
04-01-09, 10:48 AM
Heh, Cutler successfully whined his way out of Denver. Good luck to the next team that pays him big.