PDA

View Full Version : bushfires in Oz

G.
02-10-09, 04:23 PM
nasty stuff. I don't usually expect that wildfires kill the able-bodied in such numbers. :(

The stuff is moving FAST.

Any OC Aussies near Melbourne? Relatives?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/manuals/09/wildfire/img/wildfire3_786x709.gif
Satellite images show the extent of the Australia bushfires on 9 February - with smoke drifting across the region.

oddlycalm
02-10-09, 04:34 PM
Yeah, scary stuff. In one town they reported that the fire moved 2mi in under 10 minutes. :eek: I've spent a good bit of my life in the high desert and timber country and I've seen a lot of big fires, but this is as bad as it gets. :(

oc

opinionated ow
02-10-09, 04:45 PM
I think Cam is in perth and the rest of us around Sydney. From Sydney it's something like the distance from North Carolina to Daytona (possibly even futher-about 10 hours drive). And from Perth it is like Long Beach to Washington DC in terms of Distance.

Robstar
02-10-09, 07:06 PM
It's pretty bad...
I don't know anyone involved although the mother of a girl in our Melbourne office is confirmed dead... :(

Kiwifan
02-10-09, 07:27 PM
We have a collection going in the shop to be handed to the Red Cross next week. People are giving freely guys because at times like this we are one. Take care Aussies...

Russell.

opinionated ow
02-10-09, 08:52 PM
We have a collection going in the shop to be handed to the Red Cross next week. People are giving freely guys because at times like this we are one. Take care Aussies...

Russell.

Thanks. :)

We spend our entire lives paying each other out, but when it comes to serious matters, you can't get two closer friends than Australia and New Zealand.

Robstar
02-10-09, 11:17 PM
Nice one Rusty :)

We have a collection going here that the boss is matching...
Also if you do your grocery shopping at Coles on Friday all their profits for the day are being donated...

emjaya
02-11-09, 05:20 PM
The 'mericans love us too, they are sending... middle managment. :eek:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25041442-29277,00.html

THE United States will send 60 experts to help in recovery efforts after the worst bushfires in Victorian history.

The team will include experts on burned area rehabilitation, incident management, aviation support and mid-and senior-level management.

All jokes aside, it's good to see such co-operation between countries.

dando
02-11-09, 05:29 PM
All jokes aside, it's good to see such co-operation between countries.

Lord knows we have plenty of experience with Cali burning annually. Plus, Yellowstone was hit very hard ~10 or so years ago.

Take care, mates.

-Kevin