PDA

View Full Version : Great Halftime Show

doppelganger
02-01-09, 09:53 PM
Bruce still rocks. And no wardrobe malfunction!

dando
02-01-09, 10:23 PM
Agreed. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: The Boss still has it.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-02-09, 07:31 AM
CuC and Wilke don't agree.

I laughed my ass off at the "Delay of Game". I was figuring they'd have to drag him off the stage anyway.

:D

Warlock!
02-02-09, 09:03 AM
Never was a Springsteen fan, and last night certainly didn't do anything to change my mind. I'd have rather listened to a top-notch marching band play his tunes, but to each their own.

Curious... having never been to a pro game before, what's the usual halftime hap'nins at a regular season game?

stroker
02-02-09, 09:28 AM
Never was a Springsteen fan, and last night certainly didn't do anything to change my mind. I'd have rather listened to a top-notch marching band play his tunes, but to each their own.

Curious... having never been to a pro game before, what's the usual halftime hap'nins at a regular season game?

Ditto the Springsteen comment. I just don't get him.

I've never been to an NFL game, either, but my guess is that halftime has a lot more to do with gyrating cheerleaders than a college game. I'm probably wrong, though.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

WickerBill
02-02-09, 09:34 AM
There's a pee-wee game at halftime, or a ceremony giving the team's secretary an award for longevity, or dogs catching frisbees, or something.

Mostly it's when you use the restroom and get another brat.

dando
02-02-09, 09:47 AM

It usually involves waiting in line to take a leak or get some food. Like WB said, they usually bring in some entertainment like a marching band, jumping dogs or the like.

-Kevin

rosawendel
02-02-09, 10:01 AM
good show. the "ref" throwing the "flag" was cheesy.

Al Czervik
02-02-09, 10:41 AM
There's a pee-wee game at halftime, or a ceremony giving the team's secretary an award for longevity, or dogs catching frisbees, or something.

Mostly it's when you use the restroom and get another brat.

Don't forget the throwing or kicking contest where some fan gets a chance to win a) $50k b) trip or c) cruise.

nrc
02-02-09, 11:55 AM
With the Bengals it's a 50-50 split between the miscellanea above and various marching bands from regional colleges and sometimes high schools. Usually at least once a year we get the OSU marching band.

Insomniac
02-02-09, 12:01 PM
Provided me 12 minutes to do something else. Some day they'll have an act that is relevant to the current decade. Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Prince and Springsteen. Thanks Janet Jackson.

SurfaceUnits
02-02-09, 12:08 PM
yeah, where were the Jonas Bros and Miley Montana Hannah Cyrus

Don Quixote
02-02-09, 12:16 PM
Ditto for what Warlock said. It looked to me like he was trying too hard to "rock" and be "relevant" and "hip".

G.
02-02-09, 12:25 PM
Prolly catch it again on hulu or something.

I noticed that he seemed to be really out of breath. I can hold a note longer than he did, and it'll be way out of key and cause to dog to piddle to boot!

The 3D trailer for the Monster vs. Aliens movie and the SoBe commercial were far and away the best 3D I've ever seen on TV.

Insomniac
02-02-09, 12:52 PM

There are plenty of good bands/singers that came into the music scene well after these guys did.

The Rolling Stones - 1964
Paul McCartney - 1970 or before
Bruce Springsteen - 1973
Prince - 1978

Thanks to Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, NFL took over production and this is what they gave us since.

I can think of plenty of relevant acts not on the Disney channel.

Michaelhatesfans
02-02-09, 01:12 PM
I've never been to an NFL game, either, but my guess is that halftime has a lot more to do with gyrating cheerleaders than a college game. I'm probably wrong, though.

The best half time entertainment I ever saw was in the old Kingdome back in the day. They brought out a group of engineers from nearby Boeing for a paper airplane contest. Some of them were still flying at the end of the game!:thumbup:

Also, it was great inspiration for the fans, because as the game got out of hand they rained down hundreds of their own creations for the next two hours or so. I don't think anyone left there without a few pages missing from their programs.:laugh:

cameraman
02-02-09, 01:17 PM
The 3D trailer for the Monster vs. Aliens movie and the SoBe commercial were far and away the best 3D I've ever seen on TV.

So where did you get the glasses?

Sean Malone
02-02-09, 01:27 PM
Take 2 chords, overlay some runs from a sax, add a black gospel choir in robes and repeat the same lyrics over and over and you have instant critical acclaim.

How much do you think the Boss pays his cow bell player? Do you think he has an assortment of cowbells for different songs? Does he have his own cowbell tech that polishes the bells and stays just off stage in case he needs a new bell stick or wants to change his bell?

WickerBill
02-02-09, 01:37 PM
Prince put on a good show and was far more "hip" than the Stones or Bruce. Why Glory Days, Bruce? My word, that song sucked when the first lines had "speedball" in them... hail mary??

The problem is they want "universally accepted", which universally means "not really relevant anymore". I'd love to have them put out Green Day (who were great and depantsed U2 when the Superdome re-opened) -- yeah, not everyone likes it... tough luck. Stop trying to please everyone.

G.
02-02-09, 01:43 PM

Princess Permapout's (former?? Dunno.) sponsor, Meijer. A big bin of them for free.

Back to the Boss, I used to be a big fan, especially of 1st and 2nd albums. Greetings From Ashbury Park is great (last time I heard it) for drinkin' and getting all sappy and melancholy. Or drunk. Same thing.

Let's face it, Bruce is a folk singer. A confused folk singer, but one nonetheless.

dando
02-02-09, 01:49 PM
How much do you think the Boss pays his cow bell player? Do you think he has an assortment of cowbells for different songs? Does he have his own cowbell tech that polishes the bells and stays just off stage in case he needs a new bell stick or wants to change his bell?

Dude, that was world-renowned sax player Clarence Clemmons. A damn good sax player. He plays various oddball instruments on songs that don't have a sax rif.

-Kevin

dando
02-02-09, 01:50 PM

Supermarkets and drug stores had/have them. I didn't bother. Chuck (NBC) is in 3D tonight if you want to check that out.

-Kevin

G.
02-02-09, 01:50 PM

Wait for it...

WAIT for it....

nrc
02-02-09, 01:51 PM
There are plenty of good bands/singers that came into the music scene well after these guys did.

Not many that a substantial portion of the audience has heard of or cares for. It used to be that they got around that by lining up an array of known artists from various genres. Notice I don't say "good artists" because you'd be hard pressed to support some of their choices as being any better than the "old timers" they've had lately.

For example, the lineup for the "costume malfunction" year was Jessica Simpson, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, P. Diddy, Kid Rock. It sucked.

If you run through the history, outside of the occasional hot chick providing some eye candy, SB half time shows have pretty much always sucked. The one exception I can think of in recent history was Prince. Not a big fan, but he came out in the pouring rain and just tore the place up.

dando
02-02-09, 01:54 PM
The problem is they want "universally accepted", which universally means "not really relevant anymore". I'd love to have them put out Green Day (who were great and depantsed U2 when the Superdome re-opened) -- yeah, not everyone likes it... tough luck. Stop trying to please everyone.

Green Day, The Killers, even Coldplay. I heard someone mention Bon Jovi on the radio this AM. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

G.
02-02-09, 01:57 PM
Green Day, The Killers, even Coldplay. I heard someone mention Bon Jovi on the radio this AM. :gomer: :saywhat:

-KevinYou need big, bold, rockin' anthems.

How about KISS?

:runs:

dando
02-02-09, 02:04 PM
You need big, bold, rockin' anthems.

How about KISS?

:runs:

Nah, I have a Gene Simmons allergy. :saywhat:

AC/DC? :thumbup:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-02-09, 02:05 PM
Dude, that was world-renowned sax player Clarence Clemmons. A damn good sax player. He plays various oddball instruments on songs that don't have a sax rif.

-Kevin

Duh, I'm talking about the skinny white guy who stood back next to the drums bangin' on a cowbell.

dando
02-02-09, 02:07 PM
Duh, I'm talking about the skinny white guy who stood back next to the drums bangin' on a cowbell.

So was Clarence. I missed that guy. Our girls were too busy jumping around the place to watch the whole thing. My guess is he's prolly part of the roadie crew.

-Kevin

extramundane
02-02-09, 02:38 PM

That reminds me of a horrid band I saw once at a doubly-horrid "Battle of the Bands" a friend was in. The jerkoff guitar player had a rack of 10 guitars off to the side and changed for each song. Of a 20 minute set. He even pulled out a Gibson SG doubleneck and only played the 6-string neck. Never mind that, between the "vintage" Marshall stack's hum and outright volume, any tonal differences between guitars was inaudible.

So yeah, if that bar-band douche gets a guitar rack, The E Street Cowbellist definitely gets a full rack of cowbells. Just because.

Insomniac
02-02-09, 03:04 PM
Not many that a substantial portion of the audience has heard of or cares for. It used to be that they got around that by lining up an array of known artists from various genres. Notice I don't say "good artists" because you'd be hard pressed to support some of their choices as being any better than the "old timers" they've had lately.

For example, the lineup for the "costume malfunction" year was Jessica Simpson, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, P. Diddy, Kid Rock. It sucked.

If you run through the history, outside of the occasional hot chick providing some eye candy, SB half time shows have pretty much always sucked. The one exception I can think of in recent history was Prince. Not a big fan, but he came out in the pouring rain and just tore the place up.

I thought U2 was a good choice for XXXVI. I was pretty young, but for some reason I remember Michael Jackson as well. I'm not a fan of multi-acts either. It's just 4 years running now. dando already mentioned Coldplay and The Killers. WB mentioned Green Day. I'd add Beck, Blue Man Group (they know how to put on a show, plus they regularly play The Who's Baba O'Riley), Dave Matthews Band (even though I'm not much of a fan), Foo Fighters (they seem to have a popular song every year associated with some movie) and Weezer.

Some newer ones that don't have as much name recognition would be Bloc Party, Fatboy Slim, My Chemical Romance, The Strokes and White Stripes.

With that said, I'd expect John Mellancamp next year.

Insomniac
02-02-09, 03:12 PM

I thought the SoBe commercial looked much more 3D than the trailer. I still had a bit of double vision and obviously the colors were weird. I don't know if the trade-off for 3D was worth it.

TKGAngel
02-02-09, 04:10 PM

I would take out-of-breath Bruce over any of those Disney hacks any day. I thought Bruce did a good job. The crowd seemed into him and was enjoying the show. (I also thought that Jennifer Hudson did a good job with the anthem, but Faith Hill way oversang America The Beautiful).

With the trend of older, non controversial artists, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Neil Diamond or Billy Joel sing one of these days.

Sean Malone
02-02-09, 05:00 PM
I would take out-of-breath Bruce over any of those Disney hacks any day. I thought Bruce did a good job. The crowd seemed into him and was enjoying the show. (I also thought that Jennifer Hudson did a good job with the anthem, but Faith Hill way oversang America The Beautiful).

With the trend of older, non controversial artists, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Neil Diamond or Billy Joel sing one of these days.

The crowd on the field are 'paid fans'. They were kept in a holding area during the game and instructed on how to behave. They had mandatory rehearsals. Read it in the local paper.

FTG
02-02-09, 05:34 PM
The problem is they want "universally accepted", which universally means "not really relevant anymore".

Good point. If people like music, it can't be good.

Methanolandbrats
02-02-09, 05:38 PM

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041022/041022_newton_vsml_7a.widec.jpg

Don Quixote
02-02-09, 07:15 PM
^^^^ Largest forehead ever.

The crowd on the field are 'paid fans'. They were kept in a holding area during the game and instructed on how to behave. They had mandatory rehearsals. Read it in the local paper.
So it was no coincidence when the camera man focused in on several large breasted paid fans during the performance. "Ok honey, you stand here and do what you do". :gomer:

Andrew Longman
02-02-09, 07:33 PM
All right I gotta do my "in defense of Jersey" thing

Anyone that wants to go back to the Janet/Michael Jackson, Timberlake, Aerosmith, Up With People crap I have nothing to change your mind.

Prince? It was pre-recorded by my eye/ear and well, enough said. If you get/like the Prince thing then again I have nothing to add because I don't get it even when I was young enough to supposedly get it. Call me a premature old fart.

Bruce, before the show said he was trying to create the feeling that you got lost on your way to the concert, stopped in a bar to ask directions and got a little distracted, missed you exit on the turnpike (Jersey of course) and had to turn around and go back, and by the time you got to the concert all that was left was the last 12 minutes. If you've ever been to a Springsteen concert you know exactly what I mean. He tries hard because he wants you to try hard.

I also loved his press conference earlier in the week where he openly admitted that a) he's not really a football fan or knowledgable (baseball) and b) oh yeah, we got an album coming out that has something to do with his appearance, but c) he will put all he has into it.

For those that think Bruce tried too hard, you just don't get Bruce. He's been that way from 1972. He's always tried too hard because we all either are or should be trying so hard to be who we want to be. And around here, if you don't you either will be eaten or never have a moment of true joy if you don't.

Sean Malone
02-02-09, 07:52 PM

Anyone that wants to go back to the Janet/Michael Jackson, Timberlake, Aerosmith, Up With People crap I have nothing to change your mind.

Prince? It was pre-recorded by my eye/ear and well, enough said. If you get/like the Prince thing then again I have nothing to add because I don't get it even when I was young enough to supposedly get it. Call me a premature old fart.

Bruce, before the show said he was trying to create the feeling that you got lost on your way to the concert, stopped in a bar to ask directions and got a little distracted, missed you exit on the turnpike (Jersey of course) and had to turn around and go back, and by the time you got to the concert all that was left was the last 12 minutes. If you've ever been to a Springsteen concert you know exactly what I mean. He tries hard because he wants you to try hard.

I also loved his press conference earlier in the week where he openly admitted that a) he's not really a football fan or knowledgable (baseball) and b) oh yeah, we got an album coming out that has something to do with his appearance, but c) he will put all he has into it.

For those that think Bruce tried too hard, you just don't get Bruce. He's been that way from 1972. He's always tried too hard because we all either are or should be trying so hard to be who we want to be. And around here, if you don't you either will be eaten or never have a moment of true joy if you don't.

His music aside, I think Bruce is a clown.

I think half time should have magic tricks, lasers, fireworks and babes... and maybe daredevil trick like some clown jumping over 30 buses.

STD
02-02-09, 08:06 PM
Derrigibles

Andrew Longman
02-02-09, 08:09 PM
His music aside, I think Bruce is a clown

He would agree.

His lyrics have always been highly authentic about life experience at whatever age he was.

But his shows have always been about not taking himself too seriously and putting all his energy into the moment and challenging you to do the same.

dando
02-02-09, 08:19 PM
But his shows have always been about not taking himself too seriously and putting all his energy into the moment and challenging you to do the same.

Except for the politico **** he's been spewing during his shows the past few years. Not getting political on either side, but it is my firm belief that concerts should be free of that stuff unless solely for that purpose. Do what you want on your dime, not mine. :irked:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
02-02-09, 08:30 PM
Except for the politico **** he's been spewing during his shows the past few years.

-Kevin

Dude, the last few years? Really? Seems to me he's been doin' that for a wee bit longer than that...

Andrew Longman
02-02-09, 09:28 PM
Dude, the last few years? Really? Seems to me he's been doin' that for a wee bit longer than that...

Yeah. He did a a cover of War in 85 during the Born in the USA tour that was a slam on most military aggression and he was part of the No Nukes concerts before that in 78(?)

And as it has born out he was not entirely wrong.

Still, it has never been the focal point of what any E Street concert has been about. Four hours is a lot of time to find what your connection to the concert is about.

Regardless of your politics, you probably have had your hair blowing in a car window, or steered on your daddy's lap, or had many self doubts and a need to prove yourself and your love.

nrc
02-03-09, 10:55 AM

I remember we had that discussion. You don't have to really "get/like the Prince thing" you just have to recognize tremendous talent when you see it. Unlike "the Boss" Prince's half time is worth watching again...

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=05bfb773-7e32-489f-99a1-0c5b23f6c724

nrc
02-03-09, 11:00 AM
Nah, I have a Gene Simmons allergy. :saywhat:

AC/DC? :thumbup:

-Kevin

Only if you can dig up and reanimate Bon Scott.

Sean Malone
02-03-09, 11:14 AM
I remember we had that discussion. You don't have to really "get/like the Prince thing" you just have to recognize tremendous talent when you see it. Unlike "the Boss" Prince's half time is worth watching again...

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=05bfb773-7e32-489f-99a1-0c5b23f6c724

I second that. I've never owned a Prince record but was blown away by his half time show.

I think Bruce's best music is his introspective solo material but that really doesn't play well for Super Bowl half-time.

JLMannin
02-03-09, 12:22 PM
OK, here's an idea. How about a Brittney Spears half-time show next Superbowl and two minutes in, David Copperfield shows up and makes the whole half-time set on the field disappear. Then run a few commercials, and boom, the second half starts.

Michaelhatesfans
02-03-09, 12:29 PM
Reason #1,247 to love The Simpsons.

Bart watching Up With People perform at the Super Bowl while begging, "Come on, snipers..."

Don Quixote
02-03-09, 02:06 PM
Only if you can dig up and reanimate Bon Scott. You can say that again.

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 03:31 PM

I also got slammed a while back for not exactly being in love with The Who, so I'm sure I'm just a dolt. :gomer:

Watched Prince again. Always appreciate his woman dancers. I appreciate the imagination that goes into the performance. Musically it is repetitive and not very expansive. Nice guitar licks... if he is really playing them. Still more theater than music for my tastes. Whatever.

Step away from the guacamoli. Put down the chicken fingers, and turn your TV aaaaall the way up! Try this again. http://6.cn/watch/10914328.html

Good even in Chinese. Just compare how much more the crowd is into it. The whole stadium is singing along through the whole thing. :gomer:

Gangrel
02-03-09, 04:28 PM

I'm with Longman on this one. Sorry, but I never found lipsynch and air guitar to be worth watching. I gave Prince a chance that year...right up until his guitar started playing itself...

edit: I remember the debate about the air guitar back then. If you don't believe me, check out the video between the 2:20 and 2:40 mark. Had to go back and see if I came to the same conclusion. After review, the play on the field stands as called. Gangrel will not be charged for a time-out. :D

dando
02-03-09, 04:31 PM
Step away from the guacamoli. Put down the chicken fingers, and turn your TV aaaaall the way up! Try this again. http://6.cn/watch/10914328.html

Good even in Chinese. Just compare how much more the crowd is into it. The whole stadium is singing along through the whole thing. :gomer:

Thanks for the warning on the ad that pops up@ 9:59 into the video. :saywhat: Thank goodness I'm working from home this afternoon. :gomer: I wish I could find video of his 2/16/02 concert here when he broke into Hang on Sloopy in the middle of Glory Days...talk about a crowd going nuts. :thumbup:

The intro line would have been better if he said chicken wings instead of fingers. Only kiddies and the gourmet neophytes eat chicken fingers. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 04:41 PM
...when he broke into Hang on Sloopy in the middle of Glory Days...talk about a crowd going nuts. :thumbup:

I was at the last concert ever to be played at Jadwin Gym (fieldhouse) at Princeton University in '75 (maybe 76). Bruce had the crowd jumping so much it actually put cracks in the building.

Ditto on the wings vs fingers. I thought exactly the same thing at the time.

cameraman
02-03-09, 05:32 PM
The intro line would have been better if he said chicken wings instead of fingers. Only kiddies and the gourmet neophytes eat chicken fingers. :gomer:

-Kevin

He has three kids, they are chicken fingers...

Michaelhatesfans
02-03-09, 06:21 PM

That's where you lost me.

:p