PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Mayer Dies At 73

NismoZ
02-01-09, 12:09 PM
Wow, talk about one of the best of the best in racing, Teddy was it. Carried on at McLaren after Bruce was killed in '70 and helped make Emmo the champ he was. (James Hunt, too) Great career.

I attended a bunch of SCCA Nationals in the early 60s and even as a kid I could see young Tim Mayer was a guy to follow. Teddy helped his brother Tim (his teammate was another kid named Peter Revson!) to the F-Junior title in '62 and a Cooper F-1 ride at Watkins Glen that same year. He was on his way. After an unremarkable '63 season racing F-Juniors in Europe for Ken Tyrell, he signed with McLaren for the '64 F-1 season. He was finishing 2nd to guys like McLaren and Hulme in the Tasman Series but in the last race before the beginning of the F-1 schedule Tim was klilled in a crash. I've always wondered "what could have been" if they had been able to carry on with McLaren into F-1.

Two racing names I will never forget. Pardon me while I go look for some of my earliest old racing photos of Tim at Meadowdale. '62, I think.

STD
02-01-09, 06:51 PM
Sad news. Teddy was without a doubt one of the greats.

Hesketh
02-02-09, 10:10 AM
Heard the news over the weekend. Very sad. Last time I saw Teddy, he looked bad. I remember when Teddy and Tyler came to America in the 1980s to compete in CART. He was already a legend by then.

Michaelhatesfans
02-02-09, 01:16 PM
Sad news.:(

If you can manage an F1 team to a title, you're pretty good.
If you can manage an F1 team to two titles, you're great.
If you can manage James Hunt, well, that's even more impressive!