PDA

View Full Version : Why I've always liked Gil de Ferran and why I continue to

rabbit
05-27-03, 04:13 PM
1 - The man is all class. No screaming "He pass me under yellow!" after a questionable win.
2 - His emotions are all real. No crocodile :cry: for winning a pole position.
3 - He has never, ever slammed CART or ventured phony, hyperbolic, kool-aid swigging praise for the IRL.
4 - The wife and kids in victory lane (a tradition going back to Laguna '95).
5 - Guts. Major guts.
6 - I have never seen him be rude to a fan.
7 - Last but not least, he knows where the gas pedal is and what to do with it.

Congratulations Gil. You deserve it. :thumbup:

RaceChic
05-27-03, 04:47 PM
I second this rabbit...:thumbup:
I always liked him. He is usually quite mello and subdued. He never shoots his mouth off. I did, however, see a lot of genuine emotion from him this weekend as he did a victory lap around the track for his fans. I took off my CART hat and waved it out for him.
Someone asked me why I was doing that. I replied, "Because he was a terrific two time CART champion." They looked at me funny and said "oh". I think they had no clue. Like he just magically walked into the IMS and into a Crapwagon and never did anything as "challenging" as the Indy500. Sheesh. :shakehead

Napoleon
05-27-03, 04:52 PM
Agree with you 100%.

I have always liked the guy.

Don Quixote
05-27-03, 06:33 PM
Agreed. Now he needs to retire or get out of that series while he still has his health.

fourrunner
05-27-03, 07:51 PM
Gil may be consorting with the enemy, but he has always been one of the few drivers that you "Just Plain Like". I can't begrudge him anything, I think he should make sure his Family is financialy secure, and right now Penske can make sure that happens.

I'd welcome him back in CART with open arms, but I think CART should be thinking "Young" for the forseeable future, and build up the Stars of the future. Besides his next move will probably be retirement.

Kate
05-27-03, 09:34 PM
Gil should retire from racing and go to work as Mario Haberfeld's crew chief. He is a calm, rational man with a lot of technical knowledge (Derrick Walker used to say that most drivers wanted only to know that tires were black and round; Gil wanted to know how they were made!) and he could teach that young man a few shortcuts to the front and not to swerve and chop so Bruno won't pound him flat.

Although watching him with his tucis high in the air as he kissed The Bricks was rather disgusting, I think Gil is a man who just doesn't play politics. Like Michele Alboretto, if you give him the keys he will drive the car.

Cam
05-27-03, 11:46 PM
The day I "allegedly" corrupted DM...... We we sitting in the terrace just down from the Penske pits.... Gil walked down the pits toward the garages a couple of times while we were there.

Each time he would walk past just waving at the crowd in the usual manner drivers do. I gave him a :thumbup:...... Each time he saw that he immediately gave a :thumbup: back. Class guy!

RacinM3
05-28-03, 12:51 AM
I've said it a million times. I'd take Gil back in CART in a second. No questions asked.

FRANKY
05-28-03, 02:51 AM
Gil has always been a favorite. Class.

cartmanoz
05-28-03, 04:55 AM
Gil is one of the only drivers in the IRL I'd call a LEGEND.

Class personified.

But leave now Gil before you really injure yourself.:(

Kiwifan
05-28-03, 05:32 AM
He's missed by this CART fan, along with Big Mo.....

Cheers Gil.

Rusty.

turn1
05-28-03, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
1 - The man is all class. No screaming "He pass me under yellow!" after a questionable win.
2 - His emotions are all real. No crocodile :cry: for winning a pole position.
3 - He has never, ever slammed CART or ventured phony, hyperbolic, kool-aid swigging praise for the IRL.
4 - The wife and kids in victory lane (a tradition going back to Laguna '95).
5 - Guts. Major guts.
6 - I have never seen him be rude to a fan.
7 - Last but not least, he knows where the gas pedal is and what to do with it.

Congratulations Gil. You deserve it. :thumbup:

Rabbit, you are soooo right. I think we have both seen Gil in many different lights and he is ALWAYS the consumate professional.

lone_groover
05-28-03, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by turn1
....he is ALWAYS the consumate professional.

Hey, I feel the same way about Xaviera Hollander.

:p

Cam
05-28-03, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Hey, I feel the same way about Xaviera Hollander.

:p

Is she still alive?!?!?!?:saywhat: