PDA

View Full Version : Coach Fired After guiding team to a 100-0 Win

SurfaceUnits
01-26-09, 01:08 PM
DALLAS — The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482825,00.html

Methanolandbrats
01-26-09, 01:31 PM
My girls play on a HS varsity team. They've been playing since 3rd grade. It's common courtesy when you're up over 20 to not press and if it's over 30 you empty the bench, slow down the game and swing the ball around the perimeter. I don't know what the fired coach did, but if he pressed the whole game, kept the starters in or kept running instead of going half court, he is indeed a prick and has no place in youth sports.

Don Quixote
01-26-09, 01:36 PM
... he is indeed a prick ...
Indeed. I don't think the girls themselves think they played with honor and integrity. Steve Czaban this morning said that the guy would now have to look for another $12,000 job. :D

dando
01-26-09, 01:39 PM
And to think I was pissed @ Izzo yesterday when he called TO up 12 with 30 seconds to go. :irked: :saywhat: After which Matta had his boys foul again. :laugh: :shakehead

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-26-09, 02:23 PM
A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

:shakehead

What would the coach think that this proves? Though he will no doubt be making the talking head circuit.

G.
01-26-09, 02:41 PM
Just a blurb from the teeveee, but winning girls want to forfeit the outcome, losing girls are rather amused and don't think it's a big deal.

Warlock! is thinking about Christian schoolgirls in skirts. And twins.

dando
01-26-09, 02:47 PM
Warlock! is thinking about Christian schoolgirls in skirts. And twins.

I think he's reaching for his Traci Lords collection. ;) :gomer: :p

-Kevin

cameraman
01-26-09, 02:49 PM
Did you see the description of the opponent. A school with a total of 20 female high school students eight of whom were on the team. Get a load of the description of the school.

Our Mission: Dallas Academy restores the promise of full academic enrichment to students with learning differences. Our staff establishes a meaningful connection with each student to overcome barriers to success.

Dallas Academy offers a structured multisensory program for students with diagnosed learning differences in grades 3-12.

We believe that structure and a caring, experienced staff are the main factors for success at the Academy. The classes provide a quiet, nurturing environment to students who in the past have had trouble with concentration and short attention spans. Many of these boys and girls are very frustrated and have not been successful in previous school settings.

The multisensory approach is especially beneficial to those students who have been diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and other learning differences. Total enrollment ranges between 140 and 145 students with the class size ranging from 8 to 13 students. Dallas Academy is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and follows the current curriculum guidelines set by the Texas Education Agency.

By incorporating a strong curriculum, team sports, and a wide variety of extra curricular student activities, Dallas Academy strives to prepare our students for further study (80% to 90% of DA’s graduates attend 2- or 4-yr colleges) and, more importantly, a successful and satisfying life.

Just the kind of team that you, as a coach, would want to run up the score on.

Prick does not even begin to describe that fool.

Michaelhatesfans
01-26-09, 03:35 PM
Steve Czaban this morning said that the guy would now have to look for another $12,000 job. :D

Maybe he can be an international correspondent like Joe the Plumber?

opinionated ow
01-26-09, 04:44 PM
It's sport! The whole idea is to win...he can do whatever he likes, why slow down? We beat Nauru in the Rugby World Cup by something like 150 points at one stage...

cameraman
01-26-09, 05:24 PM
It's sport! The whole idea is to win...he can do whatever he likes, why slow down? We beat Nauru in the Rugby World Cup by something like 150 points at one stage...

Look up the definition of "sport" and "sporting" and get back to us.

Cam
01-26-09, 05:27 PM

Who is this we you speak of? Rugby sucks. Big difference between sports where athletes are paid and student athletes.

Methanolandbrats
01-26-09, 05:30 PM
Who is this we you speak of? Rugby sucks. Big difference between sports where athletes are paid and student athletes. Ya, there is big difference between kids sports and a sport where groups of grown, hairy men grope and sniff each others bits while locked in a group embrace.

Michaelhatesfans
01-26-09, 06:30 PM
Big difference between sports where athletes are paid and student athletes.

(cough) Nebraska (cough)

TrueBrit
01-27-09, 11:57 AM
Look up the definition of "sport" and "sporting" and get back to us.

You know you're speaking to on Aussie right? ;)

TrueBrit
01-27-09, 11:59 AM
Ya, there is big difference between kids sports and a sport where groups of grown, hairy men grope and sniff each others bits while locked in a group embrace.

Isn't that wrestling?

Rugby is a brilliant game...if you nancies played it over here instead of that up-armoured crap that requires time-outs and oxygen every 6-second play maybe you'd understand...

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 12:07 PM
Isn't that wrestling?

Rugby is a brilliant game...if you nancies played it over here instead of that up-armoured crap that requires time-outs and oxygen every 6-second play maybe you'd understand...;)I like rugby, UW-Madison had a rugby club and I shot for them for a while. A visiting team from Australia played them and kicked the hell out of them. Lot's of blood and sportsmanship. When they would carry a UW body off the field they'd all do a "hip-hip-hurray" and then go back to beating the hell out the players who were left. :D

TrueBrit
01-27-09, 12:50 PM
That was the best part of playing..after beating the snot out of each other for 80 minutes, buying a pint for the blokes you used as a doormat during the game in the clubhouse...

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 01:15 PM
That was the best part of playing..after beating the snot out of each other for 80 minutes, buying a pint for the blokes you used as a doormat during the game in the clubhouse...
They were all very good at drinking :D You played? Do you have a crooked nose and chipped teeth? Seems like most of the players had both.

G.
01-27-09, 02:04 PM
They were all very good at drinking :D You played? Do you have a crooked nose and chipped teeth? Seems like most of the players had both.
They still bring half barrels to matches?

(yes, plural on the word "barrels")

TrueBrit
01-27-09, 02:12 PM

Nose is fine, chipped tooth, completely buggered back and a knot in the middle of my forehead from where I would give my opposite number in the scrum a Glasgow Kiss...

TrueBrit
01-27-09, 02:13 PM
They still bring half barrels to matches?

(yes, plural on the word "barrels")

Only at those matches were there wasn't a clubhouse to go to afterwards...

Ankf00
01-27-09, 02:39 PM
http://www.flightbasketball.com/100-0-Texas-Game-Response-From-Coach.html

In our own words: The Journey to a 100-0 victory
By: Coach Micah Grimes

After counting down the seconds until the final buzzer, I lined up my girls to wish the opposing team well, and then headed into the locker room for our post game rituals. After the girls and I said our goodbyes, I headed home to reflect like I always do after every game. But this was no ordinary game. Little did I know that in the next eight days, Barry Horn would write an article for Dallas Morning News about our 100-0 win over Dallas Academy that would start a firestorm of articles, nationally broadcasted news stories, and hateful email about me and the 8 young ladies that make up the Dallas Covenant School girls basketball team. I’ve always taught my girls to value honesty, integrity, compassion for others and to stand up for those values despite the consequences. So it is for Andi, Savannah, Taylor, Lauren, Wren, Marquita, Blair, Tiffany and our assistant coach Kelly that I tell our story.

The Team. We are hardly the “elite basketball powerhouse” that we are described as in the National and local media. Up until 3 years ago, we rarely had a winning season. In fact, during my first year at Covenant four years ago, we experienced one of our worst seasons - a losing record of only 2 wins and 19 losses that sunk to an 82-6 low in a game that forever changed us and how we approached the game of basketball. Two years later we made the first Final Four appearance in the school’s history. Like Dallas Academy, Covenant is a small Christian school, which is why we are in the same district. We don’t have a home gym so we rent out facilities or gym space in the community so we can practice, and then watch game film at the home of one of the players. We’ve never had a full roster. Only about 30 high school girls attend Covenant and only 8 of those girls play basketball. During many of the games this year, we played with 6 girls, and sometimes only 5. When players fouled out, we’ve had to finish the game with 4. But we always finished the game.

The Players. Rarely does a coach find a player who will run the extra laps, do the extra push-ups, or shoot the extra baskets without complaining. I have 8 such players—2 freshmen, a sophomore who is new to the school and team, another sophomore who has been with us for two years, two Juniors who have been with us for 3 years, a Senior who is new to the team and school, and another Junior who is new to basketball and is learning how to play for the first time in her life. My girls believe in each other, motivate each other, and see each other as family. The respect and admiration I have for them and their parents are the main reason why I come back to Covenant each year.

The Game. The game started like any other high school basketball game across the nation. The teams warm-up, coaches talk, the ball is tipped, and then the play begins. We started the game off with a full-court press. After 3 minutes into play, we had already reached a 25-0 lead. Like any rational thinking coach would do, I immediately stopped the full-court press, dropped into a 2-3 zone defense, and started subbing in my 3 bench players. This strategy continued for the rest of the game and allowed the Dallas Academy players to get the ball up the court for a chance to score. The second half started with a score of 59-0. Seeing that we would win by too wide of a margin, running down the clock was the only logical course of action left. Contrary to the articles, there were only a total of four 3-point baskets made; three in the first quarter, and only one in the third quarter. I continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game. We played fair and honorably within the rules and in the presence of the parents, coaches, and athletic directors for both Covenant School and Dallas Academy.

The Apology. In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel "embarrassed" or "ashamed". We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy. We honor God, ourselves, and our families when we step on the court to compete. I do not wish to forfeit the game. What kind of example does it set for our children? Do we really want to punish Covenant School girls? Does forfeiting really help Dallas Academy girls? We experienced a blowout almost 4 years ago and it was painful, but it made us who we are today. I believe in the lessons that sports teach us. Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance. As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity.

Sincerely,
Micah Grimes

Box Scores:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

Players’ Quotes.

"In the past I have played basketball and have always enjoyed the game because it builds character. You learn to play against others, but you also learn to play against yourself. You conquer your fears and your mind. You are no longer an individual, but a team growing together through wins and losses.

Coach Grimes came to my house to talk to me about this new season he had established. He said that this season was about building “a family”. Winning was not the most important thing to accomplish. The goal was to suit up, play our best, and ultimately unite together as this “family” by loving each other on and off the court. After hearing this, I immediately wanted to play for Grimes.

You see, Coach Grimes is one of the kindest men I know. He is full of humility. For someone to assume that they know him and what happened in the game from an article by a man who has never met Coach or our team is wrong. He is a good man, who strives to do his best in every aspect of life. His perseverance should be rewarded.

This is the best year yet. He has taught me so much. Our team is amazing and we hope to make it to state. However, we know that there are many obstacles along the way. It is God testing us to see how we will respond. Will we trust Him?

This man that you put down has inspired me in many games where I wanted to give up and go home. And no matter what happens I will continue to play for Micah because I play for him off the court as well as on the court. I will defend him in anyway that I can because he is my family.

That night before our game against Dallas Academy he asked our team, “What is my job?” We responded saying, “To love us.” Then he said, “Now what is your job?” And we responded, “To love each other.” This is what the Covenant Lady Knights are called to do on and off the court. Love. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the article was first published I was furious; thinking in my mind that the guy who wrote it wasn’t even there. But as time went on, I started to get sick to my stomach every time someone brought it up. I was sick of talking about it and tired of all the negative publicity. The worst part of it all was that no one asked us how we felt or what we had to say. The school simply responded on our behalf saying that we are sorry and we are willing to forfeit. This was a high school district game in which we played solid defense that resulted in good offense. We were not playing at our full potential and I resent anyone who implies that we did. I missed a significant number of lay-ups and free-throws. We ran the clock and we slowed down our offense and took the press off in the 1st half of the 1st quarter, there was not much else that we could have done. Further Coach Grimes is an amazing Coach and a devout Christian. He has improved my game 100% and I will always give him the credit. I love him with all my heart; he started this family, he is the head of this family, so without him there would be no family. This team means more to me than anyone could imagine, and I wouldn’t change any part of it for the world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year had been a very hard year for all of us but Coach always helps us through everything with our personal “heart to hearts” during practice. He has helped not just me but “Our family” not just in basketball but also spiritually in my walk to Christ. We are a true family and love each other dearly. Nothing we did to Dallas Academy was intentional.

Coach Grimes has helped me develop my game but most importantly my character. He encourages me when I’m down or when I have a bad game. Coach is a godly man who has always been selfless and a born servant. I love him so much and we’re a family that sticks together through the joy and the pain of the game. I’ll always stand by him. I hope I can return the favor for the countless hours he has invested into my life and the team.

I feel as if I was thrown under the bus because if I show up anywhere wearing a Covenant Jersey or Sweatshirt, I get glares. If we did something wrong, we would’ve apologized that night, not after the media fiasco. We have news vans trying to get in the school that watch us and wait to follow us. Aren’t people being hypocrites by shunning us and saying we aren’t Christians?

I have ADD and ADHD. There is nothing that separates me from anyone on the Dallas Academy girls team, so there is nothing that should separate the value of our sides. What we did that night is what we are on this team for: to play basketball and win. As for the media calling our actions “unchristian”, that is very sad. For this team, and our coach are a living testimony. I am not sorry for how we played that night because I know that no harm was intended and I also know no harm occurred. I would hope America was more willing to read the lies in between the lines. The coach is as important to the team as we are—we are with him 100%.

Flight Basketball Academy :: Site Meter >

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 03:06 PM
Hmmm...looks like he tried to call them off, but the team they were playing was beyond horrible. Only way out would be for the refs to end it. Pretty well behaved parents for such a loss. If anything close to that happened around here there would be parents throwing punches in the stands. I saw that at a 5th grade summer league game when we were down 20 and the other coach kept pressing. One of our finest examples of a sport parent yelled "let em play you jerk" at the other coach and it was on. :D

Gnam
01-27-09, 05:13 PM
Players’ Quotes:

-Coach Grimes came to my house to talk to me about this new season...He said that this season was about building “a family”. Winning was not the most important thing to accomplish. The goal was to...ultimately unite together as this “family” by loving each other on and off the court. After hearing this, I immediately wanted to play for Grimes.

-This is the best year yet. He has taught me so much.

-And no matter what happens I will continue to play for Micah because I play for him off the court as well as on the court.

-That night before our game against Dallas Academy he asked our team, “What is my job?” We responded saying, “To love us.” Then he said, “Now what is your job?” And we responded, “To love each other.” This is what the Covenant Lady Knights are called to do on and off the court. Love. "

Is it just me, or is this a little creepy?

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 05:20 PM

If it was a Catholic School he'd be coaching a boys team for sure :D

Don Quixote
01-27-09, 05:33 PM
Is it just me, or is this a little creepy? It's not just you.

dando
01-27-09, 06:08 PM

:shakehead :saywhat:

What a tool.

-Kevin

indyfan31
01-27-09, 08:08 PM
Funny how now that we know the whole story, how he played the game, subbed players and ran down the clock, we don't see any backpedaling or apologies.

cameraman
01-27-09, 08:30 PM
The whole league is a bit screwed up.

25-0 in three minutes:eek:

That isn't a game that is a farce. It should have been called.

Given his side of the story it makes the reaction of the school administrators a bit harder to understand. I get the feeling that there is yet more to the story.

Ankf00
01-27-09, 08:46 PM
The whole league is a bit screwed up.

25-0 in three minutes:eek:

That isn't a game that is a farce. It should have been called.

Given his side of the story it makes the reaction of the school administrators a bit harder to understand. I get the feeling that there is yet more to the story.

like what? typical schmuck at the DMN writes something up, typical dallas suburbanites get worked up in a tizzy over something wholly inconsequential, typical admins work damage control.

DFW deserves itself.

cameraman
01-27-09, 08:53 PM
What is DFW?

TravelGal
01-27-09, 09:07 PM
^^^ I can think of a lot of alternatives but I'll just leave it at Dallas Fort Worth

cameraman
01-27-09, 09:11 PM
Ah.

Sorry I ignore all things Texas whenever possible.

opinionated ow
01-27-09, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't you rather be smashed than having someone just playing games at your expense? Competitive sport is about winning within the rules, I don't see it listed anywhere that this team broke the regulations. As for sportsmanship, no issues with sportsmanship there unless somebody went and harangued them for their loss afterwards.

Indy
01-30-09, 11:56 PM
Mongol General: What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

:laugh:

stroker
01-31-09, 01:04 AM
Mongol General: What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

:laugh:

That's just John Milius stealing Genghis Kahn's line.