01-23-09, 10:08 PM
New data .... (reality)

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/schedule/event.cfm?eid=863

cameraman
01-23-09, 11:23 PM
Huh, who knew.

Methanolandbrats
01-23-09, 11:59 PM
Well, I'll be dipped in ****, I thought that race was discontinued in the mid-90s.

Lux Interior
01-24-09, 12:45 AM
Memo Gidley is in the field. There's a name I have not thought about in a long time.

Michaelhatesfans
01-24-09, 03:38 AM
I honestly didn't know it was this weekend.

Andy Wallace sharing a car with Danica Patrick? Ye gods.:yuck:

That really sums up the current state of motorsports.:thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
01-24-09, 11:21 AM
I did'nt know it was today either. Wow, things have changed.

OW
01-24-09, 12:10 PM
ACtually it's always been just b4 the D-(ippy)500

warmup b4 the warmup b4 the warmup b4 we get to racing Cart ..um I guess now I mean F1

Methanolandbrats
01-24-09, 12:34 PM
ACtually it's always been just b4 the D-(ippy)500

warmup b4 the warmup b4 the warmup b4 we get to racing Cart ..um I guess now I mean F1 The date did'nt change, but the grid did and I forgot about it because I ceased to GAF several years ago.

OW
01-24-09, 12:42 PM
The date did'nt change, but the grid did and I forgot about it because I ceased to GAF several years ago.

I Know I Know....its not Champcar/CART .... but as much as OC'ers have "considered" ALMS ...and it's Not Openwheel (that we care about) .... tune in ...(a little)

Please GAF...it's RACING....... and it's NOT g-irl

Methanolandbrats
01-24-09, 01:38 PM
I tried to GAF about The Grand Am version of the Rolex for a year or so. I kept having flashbacks to 97 when I was there. I just can't get excited about the current version.

TrueBrit
01-24-09, 05:04 PM
Had no clue it was on today, just surfing after watching the Man U v. Spurs match and saw it was on...

You would have thought that I would have remembered just how fugly those cars are...:yuck:

It beats watching ShamWOW!!! commercials all day I suppose..or a LockUp marathon on MSNBC...but only just...:shakehead

NismoZ
01-24-09, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but it was worth it just to see Dario's new "do". Why, he's just lovely!:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-24-09, 09:10 PM
I'll record some of it in case Floyd's Junk blows up. That would be worth watching. Is that ****er Cheeber there this year? Any Whinedrettis? Any other entrants from the Asswipe Hall of Fame?

G.
01-24-09, 09:37 PM
I Know I Know....its not Champcar/CART .... but as much as OC'ers have "considered" ALMS ...and it's Not Openwheel (that we care about) .... tune in ...(a little)

Please GAF...it's RACING....... and it's NOT g-irl
Pleasepleaseplease don't ask for Peace in Racing! :laugh:

I usually watch bc I know the drivers.

"Grand Am - We Consider Them To Be Racecars"

"Grand Am - Tantalizingly Close To SportsCar Racing"

"Daytona Prototypes - Where The Scrubbing Bubble Meets The Zamboni. Only not as fast."

The Koni thing sometimes has a good race.

emjaya
01-24-09, 09:54 PM
I'll record some of it in case Floyd's Junk blows up. That would be worth watching. Is that ****er Cheeber there this year? Any Whinedrettis? Any other entrants from the Asswipe Hall of Fame?

15 Blackforest Motorsports
Paul Morris, Gold Coast, Australia
Tom Nastasi, Stamford, Conn.
Boris Said, Carlsbad, Calif.
Ford Mustang

Found one, an Australian one, but one none the less.

I saw him in the entry list last night and thought there's one car that's not going to finish, it made 52 laps more than I thought it would.

Cam
01-24-09, 10:49 PM
Found one, an Australian one, but one none the less.

I saw him in the entry list last night and thought there's one car that's not going to finish, it made 52 laps more than I thought it would.

WTF is he doing driving a Ford? :saywhat:

RHR_Fan
01-25-09, 09:08 AM
Some of you don't know what Grand Am means. :gomer:

~Nicole

Accipiter
01-25-09, 12:04 PM
I love the new Grand Am promtional spots highlighting the drivers! Especially the Max Anegelli one, which I'm sure will be awesome once they put some subtitles on it so people can understand a single word coming out of his mouth. Also, the JC France in which he shows off what a tough street-fightin' man he is. This just in JC: People don't want to pass you becasue your from a famous family, it's because you're slow and in the way. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
01-25-09, 01:17 PM
I love the new Grand Am promtional spots highlighting the drivers! Especially the Max Anegelli one, which I'm sure will be awesome once they put some subtitles on it so people can understand a single word coming out of his mouth. Also, the JC France in which he shows off what a tough street-fightin' man he is. This just in JC: People don't want to pass you becasue your from a famous family, it's because you're slow and in the way. :shakehead :rolleyes: GA have a racing neurosurgeon instead of a racing dentist :D

G.
01-25-09, 02:56 PM
I love the new Grand Am promtional spots highlighting the drivers! Especially the Max Anegelli one, which I'm sure will be awesome once they put some subtitles on it so people can understand a single word coming out of his mouth. Also, the JC France in which he shows off what a tough street-fightin' man he is. This just in JC: People don't want to pass you becasue your from a famous family, it's because you're slow and in the way. :shakehead :rolleyes:I caught one of those.

The gist was, "that since I'm from Canada, I've had to overcome so much in order to be successful."

So, being Canadian is a handicap?

Who knew?
:\

Hey, it IS driver promotion.

EDwardo
01-25-09, 03:17 PM
So, being Canadian is a handicap?
Who knew?

Heck, everyone knows that!!!!!

;)

cameraman
01-25-09, 04:11 PM
Is it just Dish or is everyone seeing all kinda of artifacts in the picture, the stands, the lines on the track, even halos around the cars on the high bank section of the track:irked:

TKGAngel
01-25-09, 04:52 PM
Can't Memo Rojas and JPM shut up and be gracious runner-ups for once? You got beat; there's no need to complain about unfair whatevers that you think need to be addressed.

Badger
01-25-09, 05:02 PM
I think Porsche won this one in backroom dealings. Instead of being told to improve their engine, they are allowed more displacement and suddenly no one can touch them on the straights.

Indy
01-25-09, 06:42 PM
I can't believe anyone on Earth gives a **** about this.

stroker
01-25-09, 08:52 PM
I don't.

extramundane
01-25-09, 09:52 PM
So I know Danicle must've won, but did she drive all 24 hours herself, or did she let Andy Wallace drive for a few minutes? :gomer:

Fio1
01-25-09, 10:50 PM
What a finish! :thumbup:

But, reality would it have been this close without all the yellows? No! How can there be 7 hours of yellows in a race that never saw a drop of rain or a serious crash? :saywhat: I don't understand, why it takes 15 minutes to get a car off the track that just spun or stalled? At Le Mans, Spa, Zolder or Nurburgring (real 24-hour races) before they throw a yellow, there has to be a real reason, like someone upside down or repair needed to the barriers. 7-hours of Yellow? Bogus! :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
01-25-09, 11:28 PM
Can't Memo Rojas and JPM shut up and be gracious runner-ups for once? You got beat; there's no need to complain about unfair whatevers that you think need to be addressed. Monty is a whining prick, always has been, always will be.

Methanolandbrats
01-25-09, 11:29 PM

But, reality would it have been this close without all the yellows? No! How can there be 7 hours of yellows in a race that never saw a drop of rain or a serious crash? :saywhat: I don't understand, why it takes 15 minutes to get a car off the track that just spun or stalled? At Le Mans, Spa, Zolder or Nurburgring (real 24-hour races) before they throw a yellow, there has to be a real reason, like someone upside down or repair needed to the barriers. 7-hours of Yellow? Bogus! :rolleyes: It's sanctioned by NASCAR, they have the yellow excitement scenario nailed.

Indy
01-26-09, 01:53 AM

But, reality would it have been this close without all the yellows? No! How can there be 7 hours of yellows in a race that never saw a drop of rain or a serious crash? :saywhat: I don't understand, why it takes 15 minutes to get a car off the track that just spun or stalled? At Le Mans, Spa, Zolder or Nurburgring (real 24-hour races) before they throw a yellow, there has to be a real reason, like someone upside down or repair needed to the barriers. 7-hours of Yellow? Bogus! :rolleyes:

Apparently you missed the memo about the whole fake racing thing. Enjoy your riblets.

TravelGal
01-26-09, 02:33 AM
Memo Gidley is in the field. There's a name I have not thought about in a long time.

Haven't seen your name in a while either Lux. Stop by more often.

Had no clue it was on today,
It beats watching ShamWOW!!! commercials all day I suppose..or a LockUp marathon on MSNBC...but only just...:shakehead

Didn't know it was on today either. Watching US Nationals Figure Skating all day. More emotion, more sport, more competition, and probably more crashes.

Monty is a whining prick, always has been, always will be.

Not the way the I might say it but exactly what I think of him. Best thing about reading this thread is finding out I'm not the only one who didnn't, doesn't, never will like him.

robot9000
01-26-09, 03:29 PM
Eh...Grand Am was never my fav, but its racing ('cept with the NASCAR yellows). Was something to listen to while I rehabbed a bathroom....

Don Quixote
01-26-09, 04:21 PM
So I know Danicle must've won, but did she drive all 24 hours herself, or did she let Andy Wallace drive for a few minutes? :gomer: She would have won, except her crew screwed up, her teammates sucked, and the car was no good. :laugh:

Fio1
01-27-09, 01:08 AM
This is classic!
The winning No. 58 Brumos Racing Porsche Riley was found to be out of compliance for minimum vehicle weight in post-race technical inspection. The car was found to be 12 pounds underweight. The team was fined $5,000 in addition to five driver, team and manufacturer points. This will not affect the race results.

Welcome to Nascar Road Racing style. :p

Tony George
01-27-09, 01:16 AM
Yeah, but it was worth it just to see Dario's new "do". Why, he's just lovely!:gomer:

http://motorsport.com/photos/grandam/2009/24h/grandam-2009-24h-re-0116.jpg

:rofl::eek:

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 09:11 AM
Good Lord........Elvira meets Liberace. :saywhat:

Sean Malone
01-27-09, 09:13 AM
What are you all talkin' about?:confused:

extramundane
01-27-09, 09:50 AM
What are you all talkin' about?:confused:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4650/youssscrubbing20bubblesqy6.jpg

Methanolandbrats
01-27-09, 10:30 AM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4650/youssscrubbing20bubblesqy6.jpg
That pretty much sums up the current state of nearly all motorsport.

pchall
01-27-09, 11:06 AM
Good Lord........Elvira meets Liberace. :saywhat:

There's a lot of the lank haired fop and king of the vomit inducing romantic-comedy Hugh Grant look in Mr. Judd these days...

http://www.celebrity-exchange.com/celebs/photos40/hugh-grant.jpg

Fio1
01-27-09, 04:36 PM

:rofl::eek:

The fact that Danica is in street clothes kinds of sums up how much driving she did....:laugh: Andy Wallace would do 3 1/2 hours before Rob Finlay (the guy paying) gets in and the slow one would get in last (Danica).

Michaelhatesfans
01-27-09, 08:32 PM
Holy crap, I thought that photo of Dario was a photoshop. I followed the link to compare the original version. I laughed out loud when I realized that it's actually what he looks like now.:laugh:

cameraman
01-27-09, 09:14 PM
This is classic!
The winning No. 58 Brumos Racing Porsche Riley was found to be out of compliance for minimum vehicle weight in post-race technical inspection. The car was found to be 12 pounds underweight. The team was fined $5,000 in addition to five driver, team and manufacturer points. This will not affect the race results.

Welcome to Nascar Road Racing style. :p

Hmmm

Motors from the leading cars were taken by NASCAR/Grand Am officials for evaluation. Whether this is to enable a re-assessment of the apparently dominant Porsche unit against the Lexus and Ford V8s or a further technical examination on legality is not clear.

and the official results as still listed as provisional:saywhat::shakehead:rolleyes:

STD
01-28-09, 12:05 PM
I can't believe anyone on Earth gives a **** about this.

Though I personally could not have cared less. Even when a friend called to give me the news of the thrilling last laps of action, I still could not be bothered to flip to the channel. The posts above pretty well say it all.
But there are still plenty other forms of motorsports that fly much lower on the radar anymore.

cameraman
01-30-09, 08:09 PM

They are claiming that the missing 12 pounds was due to oil loss.:saywhat:

Now granted that car was puking out oil at the pit stops but 12 pounds of oil works out to be a little over 6 liters.
How much oil is in one of those things for it not to grenade when it is 6.5 quarts low:confused:

Indy
01-30-09, 11:35 PM

That is so worth another drink. :rofl:

miatanut
02-01-09, 02:54 AM
They are claiming that the missing 12 pounds was due to oil loss.:saywhat:

Now granted that car was puking out oil at the pit stops but 12 pounds of oil works out to be a little over 6 liters.
How much oil is in one of those things for it not to grenade when it is 6.5 quarts low:confused:

Teams routinely finish these things with missing bodywork which would put them under weight, although with some aero penalty. Brake pads wear down. Tires wear down. Clutches wear a little. Is there no discretion in these things?

Agreed, they can't have lost 12 pounds of oil. They were definitely under weight, but so was pretty much any car that ever won a race with missing bodywork.

cameraman
02-01-09, 04:03 PM
Teams routinely finish these things with missing bodywork which would put them under weight, although with some aero penalty. Brake pads wear down. Tires wear down. Clutches wear a little. Is there no discretion in these things?

I was under the impression that teams factored that in when designing the car. As in the car would be at minimum weight with worn out pads, clutches, normal oil burn off etc. Isn't that the reason for F1 divers looking for the deepest drifts of clag at the end of the race?

G.
02-01-09, 04:16 PM
the deepest drifts of clag
Never heard that one. Sounds like a way to describe the earl.

"From the darkest corners of hell and the deepest drifts of clag, come 31 brave souls to compete in the 2009 Mindy fi-hunnert."

miatanut
02-01-09, 06:02 PM
I was under the impression that teams factored that in when designing the car. As in the car would be at minimum weight with worn out pads, clutches, normal oil burn off etc. Isn't that the reason for F1 divers looking for the deepest drifts of clag at the end of the race?

I was thinking their driver may not have done a good job picking up marbles on the cooldown lap, but can they pick up 12 pounds worth?

Ideally, a car should be up to minimum weight at the end of a race, but, particularly with bodywork damage, I would think it is common for cars to finish under weight, but only a few get weighed at the end. I know I've seen TransAm races where cars finished without a hood and I think I've seen the entire front clip gone. Of course they were most of a lap down, or more than a lap down.