PDA

View Full Version : Old Racer Mags

Sean Malone
01-22-09, 11:56 PM
I've carted a box of old Racer magazines around with me, for some strange reason, for the past 10 years or so. The box weighs a ton. I haven't opened it in at least 8 years. I believe I started getting them when they first came out ('93?) and canceled them in '98 or so, maybe later. We are emptying our storage unit and I'm contemplating just tossing the lot in the garbage (the wife whispering in my ear "do it. do it.".

The shipping cost would be way too high to ship the box off to a single person but if anyone remembers an issue that they lost over the years and would like to have again from the Golden Age of CART, I'd be happy to send it off to you as a fellow OC'er. Senna fans, I'm not giving up my Senna editions. I'm not sure if there are any Moore or Zanardi issues but I'll break it open this weekend and take an inventory. Like I said, I haven't even opened the box in 8 years. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Methanolandbrats
01-23-09, 12:29 AM
I've got a box just like yours! It's in the basement. :D

G.
01-23-09, 12:34 AM
April 2002? Or is it May? LBGP of 2002.

Anyone?

Michaelhatesfans
01-23-09, 01:15 AM
My On Track mags are boxed up in the attic, ranging from 86-93. I'll probably let them go one of these days.

Just for the record, my wife lacks your wife's tact, Sean.:irked:

miatanut
01-23-09, 01:21 AM
My On Track mags are boxed up in the attic, ranging from 86-93. I'll probably let them go one of these days.

Just for the record, my wife lacks your wife's tact, Sean.:irked:

I know kept the ones with covers featuring Senna, Zanardi, Moore, and Blundell/PacWest (hometown heros), possibly one with Prost. The rest got made into new paper.

Michaelhatesfans
01-23-09, 01:42 AM
I know kept the ones with covers featuring Senna, Zanardi, Moore, and Blundell/PacWest (hometown heros), possibly one with Prost. The rest got made into new paper.

I've still got most of them, but not all. A few have been autographed, so I'll keep those. Still not sure what I'll do with the rest.

chop456
01-23-09, 02:21 AM
I sent mine off to a friend a couple years back. I remember one of the first issues' cover stories being about the Rahal/Hogan/Honda. Back then, it was dissapointing. Looking back on it now, I wish it'd been even worse. :D

TRDfan
01-23-09, 01:29 PM
I had a box of several years worth in my basement too. I posted them on Freecycle and they went away. (Craigslist may work too)

My wife bought me a three year subscription that expires very soon. I think I'll do the same with the other box I've been accumulating.

Gangrel
01-23-09, 02:36 PM
Most valuable piece of print memorabilia I have is probably the program from 1997 Milwaukeee with autographs from several of the participants, including Greg's. (For those of you who don't recall, his first win.)

I don't think I'll be letting go of that one anytime soon...as far as mags, I have them stashed away in a few places...trying to keep them off the wife's radar....

racermike
01-23-09, 08:28 PM
Shipping via Media Mail should not cost that much. (not even close to first class mail, or parcel post)

I have quite a few, but would be interested in taking these if nobody has claimed yet. (if you can roughly figure out the weight, can figure out how much shipping would be)

redmist
01-24-09, 02:25 AM
wow, this is kind of freaky. i was half-ass cleaning my basement last night and was gonna pitch all my old "racer's" 93-2007 plus my vhs tapes, almost every race(cart ,f1 ,champcar) from the same time period, but then i started thinking how much i gave a sh@t back then and couldn't do it.

OW
01-24-09, 12:26 PM
wow, this is kind of freaky. i was half-ass cleaning my basement last night and was gonna pitch all my old "racer's" 93-2007 plus my vhs tapes, almost every race(cart ,f1 ,champcar) from the same time period, but then i started thinking how much i gave a sh@t back then and couldn't do it.

^^^ Good for you.... KEEP THE SPIRIT!!!

Indy
01-25-09, 06:23 PM
^^^ That's right. Good firestarter. This is no time to be wasteful.

nrc
01-25-09, 07:00 PM
Be sure to save the March 2005 issue (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6653) if you have it. Definitely a great moment in journalistic integrity.

OW
01-25-09, 07:30 PM
^^^ That's right. Good firestarter. This is no time to be wasteful.

If you keep things...its not a firestarter.....
I don't get the logic...

Indy
01-26-09, 01:50 AM
If you keep things...its not a firestarter.....
I don't get the logic...

Live in the present, that is all I mean. Racing is dead.

Fire is good.