PDA

View Full Version : Why Yahoo! Sucks

Insomniac
01-22-09, 11:08 AM
Last year they dumped their music service (Yahoo! Music Unlimited) and transferred their users to Rhapsody. I was using their service for 3 years. It was about $72/yr for unlimited downloads. Rhapsody is $156/yr and the quality is lower (160 vs 192kbps).

Yesterday, they sent me this notification:

Beginning in February 2009, CBS Radio will power LAUNCHcast Radio. LAUNCHcast Radio will still be accessible from the Yahoo! site. However, it will be hosted and operated by CBS Radio rather than by Yahoo!. As part of the transition to CBS Radio, the LAUNCHcast Plus premium service will be closing on February 12, 2009.

Even though the LAUNCHcast Plus subscription service will be discontinued, you will still have access to most of your favorite preprogrammed LAUNCHcast stations through the new CBS Radio-powered experience. The difference is that those radio stations will be supported by advertising and there will no longer be a commercial-free option.

I used LAUNCHcast Plus for over 5 years.

Yahoo! apparently doesn't want their customer's money.

rosawendel
01-22-09, 11:58 AM
they've dropped coverage of flickr pro also. Flickr pro is now an extra 25 bucks a year.

Insomniac
02-06-09, 12:35 AM
We will officially close AT&T Yahoo! Briefcase on March 30, 2009. Until then, we are offering you the opportunity to download your files back to your computer. If you have not previously used Briefcase to store your files online, then no action is required on your part.

Take action now
You need to take action before we close, after which any files remaining on AT&T Yahoo! Briefcase will be deleted and no longer accessible.

Dumping more services.

RusH
02-06-09, 08:28 AM
AOL did the same last month, dumping storage and photos. Getting rid of bloat is in vogue.
The interweb is all going to be about Google vs. Micro$oft.

chop456
02-06-09, 08:34 AM
Sirius/XM is going to start charging for online listening, too. I doubt I'll renew.

extramundane
02-06-09, 09:33 AM
Sirius/XM is going to start charging for online listening, too. I doubt I'll renew.

If you renew before March 11, online's still free. Whether you get the higher bitrate stream I'm not sure.

chop456
02-06-09, 09:51 AM
^ The only show I'd really miss is available on audible.com, which means I could listen at my convenience. I haven't decided yet.

Ankf00
02-06-09, 03:11 PM
yahoo!'s buildings are all corporate looking and stuff, they're the man, man.