PDA

View Full Version : Fiat takes 35% stake in Chrysler

cameraman
01-20-09, 04:05 PM
Cost? Zero dollars and zero cents:eek:

Fiat gets the stake in return for its managerial skills and access to Fiat's product line.

So your local Chrysler dealer is going to be selling rebranded Fiats???

Sean Malone
01-20-09, 04:39 PM
I think it's interesting how the players are making it very clear this is a no strings attached 'partnership'. meaning it could end at anytime for any reason. Chrysler gets access to drive trains, engines and supply chains outside the US while FIAT gets, um, what does FIAT get again? Maybe a chance to get a few models at a Chrysler dealership.

I get the feeling this is more for making themselves look good to the gov for loan leverage.

Mercedes reminded people today that it wants to sell it's 20% stake in Chrysler.

I read last week that starting next year all of the full size Nissan truck will be made by Chrysler (rebadged Rams?). I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan bought Mercedes share.

Wheel-Nut
01-20-09, 04:52 PM
. . . . FIAT gets, um, what does FIAT get again?. . . . .

Corinthian Leather.

Sean Malone
01-20-09, 05:14 PM
Corinthian Leather.

Is it a coincidence that we lost Ricardo recently? I think not. :(

nissan gtp
01-20-09, 05:24 PM
maybe they'll bring the Abarth 500 over :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-20-09, 05:56 PM
Punto Fever!

oddlycalm
01-20-09, 06:19 PM
Corinthian Leather.
Yup, epic stuff, all the expense of leather with the look, feel and breatheability of vinyl. :gomer:

oc

miatanut
01-20-09, 07:14 PM
They were a great company until Mercedes screwed it up.

The baby Peterbuilt that every Walter Mitty wants. The Viper. The PT Cruiser may be junk, but it has sold quite well. The styling on the Crossfire is Chrysler. The new 300 has been a hit. They were the first to build a minivan, which the rest of the world then copied.

I've never owned a Chrysler product, not even a Jeep, but I appreciate what they've accomplished in design.

Teaming with Fiat could just bring more of the same as Mercedes, though.

stroker
01-20-09, 08:35 PM
I don't understand what took so long on this. If a lunkhead like me was able to see the advantages for both parties months ago

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9275&highlight=fiat&page=14

then there's something else going on. I hope the whole thing rejuvenates.

opinionated ow
01-21-09, 02:35 AM
Do you think the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep group could then start selling cars that don't look like they've had a kenworth and 4 and a half tonne of chrome grafted onto the nose? Ugliest cars in the world (apart from Ssangyong)

Michaelhatesfans
01-21-09, 03:10 AM
If only Fiat had gotten a big chunk of Ford. Now that would have been some irony.

Lux Interior
01-21-09, 09:31 AM
Yup, epic stuff, all the expense of leather with the look, feel and breatheability of vinyl. :gomer:

oc

Is like Porsche Leather, also known as pleather?

Indy
01-23-09, 09:59 AM
I love that Audi vinyl. Would that be called Anyl?

Whatever you call it, it is way better than the regular style. :rofl:

cart7
01-24-09, 01:14 PM
Fiat just wants to drop Hemi's into Ferrari's.

Simple enough.

cameraman
01-24-09, 01:20 PM
I can always hope that the new Fiat management types will demand that they stop those idiotic pickup truck commercials.

emjaya
01-24-09, 09:30 PM

Simple enough.

I've always wanted to do that as a custom car, blown Hemi in a 512BB or something, just to freak out all the Tifosi. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-25-09, 11:11 AM

Simple enough.

I'm reading Paul Newman's book on the history of Newman's Own.

In it he describes a VW bug he own with the back seat removed so he could fit a small block Ford V8. :D

Fun book BTW. I did not know that the motivation for Newman's Own was a passion for decent salad dressing, not charity. (and a hatred for the likes of Wishbone) Once people convinced him that the only way he'd be successful selling it was to put his face on the label, he decided that the only way he'd be that self promoting was if he gave all the money away.

Sam Posey's wife also drew the picture we've all come to know on Newman's Own products.

Sean Malone
01-26-09, 01:57 PM
DETROIT, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Chrysler LLC and Fiat SpA (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) will bring seven new vehicles to North America under their new alliance, Automotive News said on Monday, citing sources who have seen the product-sharing agreement.

Of the seven vehicles -- which will be built at Chrysler plants in North America and sold through select Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealerships -- four will be sold under the Chrysler brand name and three as Fiats or Alfa Romeos, the magazine said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN2637899720090126

ferrarigod
01-26-09, 02:32 PM
Fiat gets the stake in return for its managerial skills and access to Fiat's product line.

Fiat had to buy a stake in another company to get access to its own product line? That is not a good business plan.

cameraman
01-26-09, 02:55 PM
Fiat had to buy a stake in another company to get access to its own product line? That is not a good business plan.

Try this sentence instead

The deal would result in Chrysler using Fiat vehicle platforms for a range of new cars and using at least one Chrysler factory to build Alfa Romeo and Fiat products for the US market.