PDA

View Full Version : Monster truck tragedy

G.
01-18-09, 02:13 PM
bad stuff involving child (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090117/ap_on_re_us/monster_truck_death;_ylt=Ajal1Nu7kgkQ2m8dZUfB9CADW 7oF)

I don't think they should've run the show the next night, tbh. Not that it would change anything, just saying.

6-year-old killed at monster truck show

TACOMA, Wash. – Debris flew into the grandstands at a monster truck show in Washington state, killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring another spectator, witnesses and fire officials said Saturday.

:(

Good idea to pelt security with beers/sodas in order to get their attention.

trish
01-18-09, 05:23 PM
That's so sad. :(

OW
01-18-09, 06:43 PM
Thats horrible....
Come to think of it - it's amazing something like that hasn't happened -- till now..

I wonder if they will net the whole thing some day... Or at least on the ends ..and corners .. like in Hockey.

dando
01-18-09, 07:58 PM
Very :(. I can still recall the news about Brittany Cecil dying a few days after being hit by a puck during a CBJ game. :( I'll never forgive SI for laying out Espen Knutsen like they did. :flame: :thumdown:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
01-19-09, 02:25 AM
Read this last night. Pretty horrific. And sobering.

This could just have easily been any other race at any other track. Fans don't really have any comprehension as to how much of a risk they take just by attending a race. Parts can easily clear fences. Smaller parts can pass through the fences at velocities so high that they may as well be bullets.

I shudder to think what this might do to future insurance costs at motorsports events across the board.

emjaya
01-19-09, 07:58 AM
Why does it always seem to be a child that is hurt or killed? :(

cart7
01-19-09, 08:06 AM
Was at Indy a number of years ago, pre-split and Safer. Car hit the wall in front of us in T4 and disintegrated on the right side. The shock wave was intense. My friend I was sitting next to caught a small piece of carbon fiber in his eyebrow just above the lense of this sunglasses. An inch lower and no glasses and he'd have lost an eye.

Cam
01-19-09, 08:44 AM
'swhy there there is the disclaimer on the ticket you buy. You take the risk. Not the facility.

Andrew Longman
01-19-09, 09:36 AM
I'll never forgive SI for laying out Espen Knutsen like they did. :flame: :thumdown:

-Kevin

They somehow made her death his fault? :confused:

dando
01-19-09, 09:50 AM
They somehow made her death his fault? :confused:

They featured him on the cover the following week. Poor taste, IMO. He was the first CBJ to play in the NHL All * game, but was never the same following that accident. :(

EDIT: here's the cover:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2002/0401_large.jpg

EDIT 2: And to clarify, Espen shot the puck, but it was deflected. I also don't recall SI pasting the drivers on the cover for the accidents @ MIS and Charlotte, which resulted in the death of fans. In any case, it's always very sad anytime a tragedy involves an innocent child.

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
01-19-09, 10:34 AM
Thats horrible....
Come to think of it - it's amazing something like that hasn't happened -- till now..

I wonder if they will net the whole thing some day... Or at least on the ends ..and corners .. like in Hockey.

This isn't the first time it has happened at a Monster Truck Show.

10+ years ago a truck went into the crowd killing a boy and his grandfather. And I believe a suspension piece launched into the crowd and killed a man a few years after that as well.

OW
01-19-09, 11:11 AM
Rogue.....I do remember that now - when a truck went to the crowd

So it is amazing that if you click G's link and look at the video..
At the near end of the video ...

The company released a statement ......and said:
"This kind of accident had never happened before in the History of monster truck events"

Liars? or Spin.. nothing ever happens exactly the same..

TKGAngel
01-19-09, 11:11 AM
'swhy there there is the disclaimer on the ticket you buy. You take the risk. Not the facility.

It's been awhile since I've been to a race, but are safety announcements made before the race? I think most fans are aware that there's the potential for injuries as stuff leaves the car, but do the tracks announce it so the less aware become aware? I remember a couple of times at Cleveland having to sign a safety disclaimer before entering the paddock, but it wasn't an every year kind of thing.

The NHL announces multiple times during the game that pucks, sticks and who knows what else may leave the playing surface and fly into the stands and if you are struck, call an usher ASAP.

Andrew Longman
01-19-09, 11:14 AM
They featured him on the cover the following week. Poor taste, IMO. He was the first CBJ to play in the NHL All * game, but was never the same following that accident. :(

Didn't he start a charity in Columbus in her name?

I have to say though that just putting his picture on the cover isn't that harsh IMO. It's a human tragedy and they are connected by it, especially if he reacted the way he did (just as Fernandez will always be connected to the four dead at MIS)

Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to get killed. I've been to a ton of hockey games and have seen a lot of people get hit by pucks. (Always seems to be a girl/woman who was talking to someone and not following the game) .

As for Monster trucks, I'm surprised that their underwriter allowed them to stage more shows until they understood what happened and how to prevent it.

stroker
01-19-09, 02:30 PM
That accident at the Chili Bowl they showed on the Speed Report could easily have killed someone.

dando
01-19-09, 04:04 PM
Didn't he start a charity in Columbus in her name?

I have to say though that just putting his picture on the cover isn't that harsh IMO. It's a human tragedy and they are connected by it, especially if he reacted the way he did (just as Fernandez will always be connected to the four dead at MIS)

Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to get killed. I've been to a ton of hockey games and have seen a lot of people get hit by pucks. (Always seems to be a girl/woman who was talking to someone and not following the game) .

As for Monster trucks, I'm surprised that their underwriter allowed them to stage more shows until they understood what happened and how to prevent it.

If he did, it's not mentioned around here. SI caught a ton of flack around here for the cover.

I'm actually more amazed that the MLB doesn't see more serious injuries/deaths due to the number of games and foul balls generated. I noted that the NYY use screens during batting practice, which I've never seen before @ the twenty odd ballparks I've visited.

-Kevin

ferrarigod
01-19-09, 08:32 PM

EDIT: here's the cover:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2002/0401_large.jpg

EDIT 2: And to clarify, Espen shot the puck, but it was deflected. I also don't recall SI pasting the drivers on the cover for the accidents @ MIS and Charlotte, which resulted in the death of fans. In any case, it's always very sad anytime a tragedy involves an innocent child.

-Kevin

I also don't see the doctors that sent her home and the insurance companies involved on the cover. The deflection was a freak accident, what happened after was preventable.

Couldn't agree anymore. I've been to many Columbus Chill, Buffalo Sabres, Lightning and other random NHL venues and before the screening it did seem that everytime someone was caught off guard by a puck it was 2 women talking or someone on another planet. Columbus Chill games were great cause the stadium was so small you could see the ladies reaction during contact. Nothing better for an 8 year old than a smoke filled arena, hockey fights and people getting hit by stuff.

ChampcarShark
01-21-09, 06:04 PM
At the local coliseum, the monster truck show is always a two day sell out.

It is a small place, and during some years the entire front seating area was closed due to safety. Now the stupid promoters charge you extra to sit there.

I have been to a lot of those shows and luckily nobody has been hurt.

There has been a truck hitting the wall and bouncing back, the whole are shook bad.

Then makes you wonder, back in the 80s, there was not such a thing. the cars to be crushed had windows and where close to the crowd. and I do not remember an accident. the trucks managed to stop on time and not hit the walls.

Now the cars are away from the crowd, no windows or anything that can fly easily, and people are getting hurt, trucks hitting the walls, not stopping. what is going on??????? :confused::confused::confused:

Michaelhatesfans
01-21-09, 06:23 PM
Now the cars are away from the crowd, no windows or anything that can fly easily, and people are getting hurt, trucks hitting the walls, not stopping. what is going on??????? :confused::confused::confused:

I've never attended a monster truck event, but I'm assuming that the performance level has been increased to the point that they've outgrown some of the stadiums. But that only accounts for why they're slapping the walls and riding up into the stands.

In this particular situation, it sounds like a freak thing where a part failed and went flying off into the crowd. Sadly, it's something that all racing series have to be ready to face at some point or another. I can't think of any track or racing series that would be immune from this happening to them. As someone said earlier, that fine print on the back of your ticket isn't just for refunds.

cameraman
01-21-09, 07:01 PM

They did not run nearly every weekend in the past.
There were not multiple tours, leagues or whatever.
The performance/speed is vastly higher.

dando
01-21-09, 07:27 PM
Columbus Chill games were great cause the stadium was so small you could see the ladies reaction during contact. Nothing better for an 8 year old than a smoke filled arena, hockey fights and people getting hit by stuff.

Referring to the Fairgrounds "Coliseum" as a stadium is rather generous. ;) Long live the Chill!

I wish they would have kept the name for the CBJ, but considering Mr. Mac's generosity, I can't dispute his naming the team the CBJ.

I haven't seen an ECHL game since the Chill left for Indy....do they also require netting like the NHL? I once saw a puck go through the glass right behing the goal in Anaheim during a CBJ game there. :eek: Amazing nobody wasn't killed in that incident.

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
01-22-09, 12:49 PM
They did not run nearly every weekend in the past.
There were not multiple tours, leagues or whatever.
The performance/speed is vastly higher.

I do agree with you, and the punishment the equipment goes tru will cause it to fail at one point.

I have seen the inspection those trucks go tru, but it is very difficult to see if there is a weak point.

Debris usually comes from the crushed cars, the huge tires get pieces of the car attached and they can come loose when the speed increases.

The crowd is not allowed near the trucks after the show anymore.

That is the main reason I try to talk my son into attending the coliseum event and not the stadium event in april. Bigger place, more speed, more things that can go bad.

chop456
01-26-09, 04:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/26/monster.truck.death/index.html

A monster truck show promoter, who days earlier touted his event's safety record, died after being crushed by one of the trucks during a show in Madison, Wisconsin, Saturday night.

"Review of the incident shows that George [Eisenhart] accidentally stepped in front of a moving vehicle in a fashion that did not provide the vehicle's driver adequate time to react,"

"This is our 16th year," Eisenhart told CNN affiliate WKOW. "I wish I had a big piece of wood to knock on right now, but we have not had an incident besides a gal slipping in the aisleway at another location."

trish
01-26-09, 08:05 AM
Talk about bad luck.

Napoleon
01-26-09, 09:13 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/26/monster.truck.death/index.html

That guy apparently lived just a few miles east of me. Talk about bad karma.

chop456
01-26-09, 09:33 AM
No kidding. I wouldn't want to live by you, either. :D

Napoleon
01-26-09, 12:31 PM
No kidding. I wouldn't want to live by you, either. :D

You could end up flattened like a pancake if you did.

Napoleon
01-26-09, 12:55 PM
I just read the local story and he had 2 young daughters.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/01/chardon_man_killed_by_monster.html

Methanolandbrats
01-26-09, 02:11 PM
It was not pretty. A friend took his two young kids and the neighbor kids and they were right in front of it. He made the right choice and got them out of there the second it happened.

G.
01-26-09, 02:32 PM
It was not pretty. A friend took his two young kids and the neighbor kids and they were right in front of it. He made the right choice and got them out of there the second it happened.

bummer.
:(