PDA

View Full Version : Plane crashes into Hudson River

anait
01-15-09, 05:04 PM
Link (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=6606419)

nrc
01-15-09, 05:45 PM
Great news. Looks like everyone made it out. Suspected bird strike.

Don Quixote
01-15-09, 06:00 PM
The pilot and crew should be decorated. Impressive salvage operation by all involved. :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
01-15-09, 06:30 PM
It's incredible that everyone got out. I'm just thinking of the last time I flew and they told us what to do in a water landing. I was busy reaching for my Ipod thinking, "screw it, we'll just cartwheel until it breaks in half anyway..."

Maybe I'll pay a bit more attention next time.:\

oddlycalm
01-15-09, 07:48 PM
Nice save by the pilot and an incredible response by the Coast Guard :thumbup: Have 100% of 150+ people walk away after a water landing in 20 degree weather is tall stuff.

Elsewhere, there are reports that a tour bus with four members of an 80's rock group was being held in connection with the crash by police in a small town in New Jersey....:gomer:

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ERU3PG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64884696_.jpg

chop456
01-16-09, 02:15 AM
Just more backing for my dream of exterminating Canada Geese.

Or at least sending them all to Canada.

Ankf00
01-16-09, 04:43 AM
Canadian Geese...

More like Canadian Terrorists. Ban international fowl movements NOW!

Pilot == muy heuvos grandes :thumbup:

chop456
01-16-09, 05:49 AM
Fred Berretta was aboard US Airways Flight 1549 bound for Charlotte, North Carolina, when he heard a loud bang and the plane shook.

http://mortystv.com/showcards/baretta_cast.jpg

Don Quixote
01-16-09, 10:56 AM
Just more backing for my dream of exterminating Canada Geese.

Or at least sending them all to Canada. We just don't have enough planes to take them all out this way. Move to plan b, ground based rail guns.

TravelGal
01-16-09, 12:30 PM
It's incredible that everyone got out. I'm just thinking of the last time I flew and they told us what to do in a water landing. I was busy reaching for my Ipod thinking, "screw it, we'll just cartwheel until it breaks in half anyway..."

Maybe I'll pay a bit more attention next time.:\

Srsly. Some more emergency recommendations are:

Keep your shoes ON until the plane is aloft and put them back on as soon as a plane starts its decent. You don't want to be running through an aisle in your socks or stockings.

Keep your coat with you if it's cold weather. Know that you will not have time to get to ANYTHING in your carryon. Even if it's under your seat, you may not be allowed to take it with you. The best thing to do is keep your passport/DL/credit card and some money in a pocket of your pants/coat that you are wearing. Hunting/safari-style jackets work well for this purpose.

If you can manage it, try not to travel with anything too valuable at all. For example, I have a collection of "junk jewelry" that keep in a small case. That's all I ever travel with. Problem is, I'm getting rather attached to IT so I'd be sorry to lose it.

Insomniac
01-17-09, 07:01 PM
I read that he was the only pilot. He was flying and working all the other controls through the whole thing. That got me thinking. Did the airlines lobby to get the A320 certified to be flown by only one pilot to reduce costs? Probably fine the vast, vast majority of the time, but how about when there are problems.

stroker
01-17-09, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has also mentioned that since the planet is now short one Scarebus we're better off, too.

opinionated ow
01-17-09, 09:37 PM
I read that he was the only pilot. He was flying and working all the other controls through the whole thing. That got me thinking. Did the airlines lobby to get the A320 certified to be flown by only one pilot to reduce costs? Probably fine the vast, vast majority of the time, but how about when there are problems.

That wouldn't make any sense. They are a two crew cockpit. It may be that in this instance the Captain was the pilot-flying and the first officer the pilot not-flying.

SteveH
01-17-09, 10:08 PM
Only one pilot flies at a time. They alternate on legs of the day's flights. The Captain may fly the first leg, the First Officer the next leg and so on. Typically the non-flying pilot operates the radio and performs other tasks in the cockpit. In this case, the FO may have been flying up until the bird strike at which time the Captain took the controls. Its his ship.

Methanolandbrats
01-17-09, 11:19 PM
I know they are trying to get it out of the river in one piece for the forensic exam, but if it was'nt for that, would'nt they just cut it up? It's gotta be junk, they can't just dry it out and fire it up. :D

cameraman
01-18-09, 12:17 AM
Would you want to be a diver operating any kind of cutting gear in freezing water with a fast current and zero visibility?

Methanolandbrats
01-18-09, 12:27 AM
Would you want to be a diver operating any kind of cutting gear in freezing water with a fast current and zero visibility?
I would'nt want to be a diver in a pool :D

trish
01-18-09, 12:40 AM
They've got some video footage of the landing. http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=11588017&src=news

Insomniac
01-18-09, 12:44 AM
That wouldn't make any sense. They are a two crew cockpit. It may be that in this instance the Captain was the pilot-flying and the first officer the pilot not-flying.

Reading more, you're right. There was a first officer.

SteveH
01-18-09, 01:17 AM
The FO was flying at the time of the bird strike

Skiles was flying US Airways Flight 1549, bound for Charlotte, North Carolina, when he noticed a flock of birds less than 90 seconds after the plane had taken off from New York's LaGuardia International Airport, Higgins said.

In an instant, the plane was rocked by loud thuds and both engines went out, Higgins said.

"He commented on the formation, and he said the next thing he knew, the windscreen was filled with birds. There was no time to take evasive action," Higgins said.

Sullenberger took control of the aircraft while Skiles began complicated procedures to try to restart the engines, Higgins said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/hudson.plane.crash/index.html

opinionated ow
01-18-09, 02:43 AM
The FO was flying at the time of the bird strike

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/hudson.plane.crash/index.html

Sounds like fairly standard multi crew operations.

Andrew Longman
01-18-09, 12:53 PM
Sullenberger's wife was a "Big Sister" to a troubled 14 year old girl in CA. After about a year, the girl's mom was shot she moved in with them until she was grown. She's 29 now, married with kids and living in Jersey. The Sullenbergers came to her wedding.

Interestingly, she says Sully would always go around the house to make sure all the clocks matched his watch.

All kinda fits the image portrayed of Sullenberger.

oddlycalm
01-19-09, 03:09 PM
Interestingly, she says Sully would always go around the house to make sure all the clocks matched his watch.

Yup, having grown up in a house with a naval aviator I can also assure you that the family receives frequent weather briefings as well on the days he's home...:laugh:

oc

nrc
01-19-09, 10:31 PM
Sounds like Airbus is trying to get a little PR going on this...

According to one person familiar with the investigation, Capt. Sullenberger was able to keep the nose of the plane up while flying at a reduced speed partly because his aircraft's so-called fly-by-wire system used computers to prevent the jetliner from stalling, or becoming uncontrollable and falling out of the air. Preliminary data indicate that these computer-controlled safeguards remained fully operational until touchdown, this person said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123241485664396363.html

cameraman
01-19-09, 11:20 PM
Sounds like Airbus is trying to get a little PR going on this.
When life hands you lemons...

opinionated ow
01-20-09, 02:13 AM
When life hands you lemons...

And the very reason why so many pilots hate airbuses! The Cirrus SR22 with the parachute are just as bad, all these anti stall kits make slow speed flight a nightmare.

dando
02-02-09, 02:54 PM
So some site creates a Flash game to try and land the plane:

http://www.addictinggames.com/heroonthehudson.html

:saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-02-09, 09:41 PM
Not sure if Kevin^^^ will approve but there is rumored to be a new drink: The Sully (named for the captain). Two shots of Grey Goose and spash of water.

Don Quixote
02-02-09, 11:20 PM
Good one! :thumbup:

JoeBob
02-03-09, 02:42 PM
First hand account from an AA pilot who was on the flight:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/01/american-pilot-talks-about-her.html

TravelGal
02-03-09, 04:01 PM
If you read the comments you see that US gave every passenger $5,000 off the top. Not saying that is all they will get, just saying, you can have this for now. I thought that was quite a gesture. Few airlines take action without being sued first.

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 04:06 PM
Are you sure they didn't have to promise not to sue to get the $5K? That's how most lawyers operate

TravelGal
02-03-09, 04:30 PM
Are you sure they didn't have to promise not to sue to get the $5K? That's how most lawyers operate

I'm not sure because I have not seen the underlying document. You can tell I used to spend most of my day negotiating with lawyers. :) I posted it because I thought it was correct but I did a google search to ease your mind.

From Jaunted, the pop culture travel blog:
The goodies are coming to survivors of U.S. Airways flight 1549 in dribs and drabs. First, everybody got a check for $5,000 of mad money, along with reimbursement of the cost of their tickets. Now, the New York Post is reporting that they've all been automatically upgraded to Chairman's Preferred status, the airline's highest level of frequent flier privilege. The catch? They only get it through March 2010.

From the New York Post:
The airline earned some passengers' praise for quickly sending out $5,000 checks for lost luggage and other expenses. And the company said passengers will be able to make claims for more expenses in the future.

A spokesman for the US Airways said passengers did not have to waive their rights to sue in order to accept the checks or the Chairman's Preferred membership. Some have already contacted lawyers.

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 05:53 PM
After TWA 800 went down in LI Sound I think every airline would have been smart (and probably did) get the drill down on how to handle air "disasters".

The TWA 800 families were treated horribly, not intentionally, but just because the airline, FAA, the city, et al didn't have a thorough plan. It would seem USAir, the city and others really knew exactly what to do. More good news as part of a badly needed good story.

G.
02-03-09, 06:02 PM
Sully will be on 60 Minutes Sunday.

Do a shot of The Sully every time they say the word "hero". :D

dando
02-03-09, 06:40 PM
It would seem USAir, the city and others really knew exactly what to do. More good news as part of a badly needed good story.

They've had some practice since then. :(

-Kevin

trish
02-03-09, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure because I have not seen the underlying document. You can tell I used to spend most of my day negotiating with lawyers. :) I posted it because I thought it was correct but I did a google search to ease your mind.

From Jaunted, the pop culture travel blog:
The goodies are coming to survivors of U.S. Airways flight 1549 in dribs and drabs. First, everybody got a check for $5,000 of mad money, along with reimbursement of the cost of their tickets. Now, the New York Post is reporting that they've all been automatically upgraded to Chairman's Preferred status, the airline's highest level of frequent flier privilege. The catch? They only get it through March 2010.

From the New York Post:
The airline earned some passengers' praise for quickly sending out $5,000 checks for lost luggage and other expenses. And the company said passengers will be able to make claims for more expenses in the future.

A spokesman for the US Airways said passengers did not have to waive their rights to sue in order to accept the checks or the Chairman's Preferred membership. Some have already contacted lawyers.
That's sad. From what I understand there weren't any injuries. Maybe they're suing the birds...

cameraman
02-03-09, 07:30 PM
That's sad. From what I understand there weren't any injuries. Maybe they're suing the birds...

Really, nobody on that plane has any hint of grounds for a lawsuit.:flame:

If I was on the jury the airline would be getting their court costs too.

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 08:47 PM

No serious injuries. Bumps, bruises, some mild hypothermia. Local paper reported an elderly woman broke her leg, but in a quick search I couldn't find anything on the net.

Nothing really worth suing over... unless you are in the USA.

Instead they should use their 15 minutes of fame and sell their stories.

trish
08-08-09, 02:51 PM
This one won't have such a happy ending. :( Mid-air collision over Hudson River. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090808/ap_on_re_us/us_hudson_mid_air_collision)

Napoleon
02-10-10, 08:04 AM
Excellent video recreation of the crash (http://exosphere3d.com/pubwww/pages/project_gallery/cactus_1549_hudson_river.html)

H/T James Fallows (http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2010/02/tonights_aviation-mishap_repor.php)

http://exosphere3d.com/pubwww/images/cactus_1549/renders/worldview1.jpg