PDA

View Full Version : versus - the announcers

High Sided
01-14-09, 05:47 PM
in the booth: Bob Jenkins, Jon Beekhuis, Robbie Buhl

in the pits: Jack Arute, Robbie Floyd (MotoGP, Olympics, various Xtreme Sports), Lindy Thackston (news anchor, ALMS, 2001 indy princess)

Sean Malone
01-14-09, 05:56 PM
The stink of the others overpowers the coolness of Jon. Unfortunately.
If they have Bob just doing intros and outros and Buhl doing the occasional "these cars are fast...lots of technology...jet fighter nerves of steel" crap and Jon handling the meat of the race it may be okay.

dando
01-14-09, 06:16 PM
OMG. Thanks for the forewarning on the suckitude. Now I won't throw anything @ my tube like I did when I first saw Spike and Boob Jenkins. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
01-14-09, 07:02 PM
Any broadcast with Arute is unwatchable no matter who else is there.

Don Quixote
01-14-09, 07:06 PM
I find that if you don't watch, the announcers don't seem to matter. :D

Don Quixote
01-14-09, 07:07 PM
Any broadcast with Arute is unwatchable no matter who else is there. And no matter what sport the broadcast is covering.

Michaelhatesfans
01-14-09, 09:13 PM

:thumbup:

Still, it makes you wonder what kind of incriminating photos Arute has of various television executives. Why that man has any career beyond working at Hot Dog on a Stick is beyond me.

Sean Malone
01-14-09, 11:18 PM
:thumbup:

Still, it makes you wonder what kind of incriminating photos Arute has of various television executives. Why that man has any career beyond working at Hot Dog on a Stick is beyond me.

Being a pit announcer for the IRL is 2 things...a stepping stone for former bikini models and a dead end. I'm sure his kids are proud.

stroker
01-15-09, 12:53 AM
I've got an idea. Let's start a mail in campaign asking Benedict Jenkins to please, please, please tell us why the .1RL is still relevant every single week.

Insomniac
01-15-09, 01:12 AM
Any broadcast with Arute is unwatchable no matter who else is there.

Which makes it hilarious that he seems to cover Ohio State football often.

Fio1
01-16-09, 02:54 AM
versus is going to be obnoxious! dakar rally can't run more then 4-minutes without commercials, I can only imagine the IRL season. TIVO!

chop456
01-16-09, 02:58 AM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

opinionated ow
01-16-09, 06:40 AM
Worst set of commentators ever.

sadams
01-16-09, 08:41 AM
versus is going to be obnoxious! dakar rally can't run more then 4-minutes without commercials, I can only imagine the IRL season. TIVO!

Not only that they plaster teasers of upcoming shows right over most of want you want to see!! Did you know they have the NHL All Stars on Jan 25th? Sure you did it's in the upper right corner all the effing tiime!:flame:

Methanolandbrats
01-16-09, 09:54 AM
Worst set of commentators ever. Nope, no Scooter. If there was you'd be right.

cameraman
01-16-09, 01:25 PM
Not only that they plaster teasers of upcoming shows right over most of want you want to see!! Did you know they have the NHL All Stars on Jan 25th? Sure you did it's in the upper right corner all the effing tiime!:flame:

That is what you get when nobody is sponsoring the broadcast.

The America's Cup had none at all because it was a fully sponsored show. Thank you BMW.

The Tour de France had none that wasn't from the shows sponsors.

The IRL? You will be (un?)lucky to see the race thru the ads.

G.
01-16-09, 01:41 PM
That is what you get when nobody is sponsoring the broadcast.

The America's Cup had none at all because it was a fully sponsored show. Thank you BMW.

The Tour de France had none that wasn't from the shows sponsors.

The IRL? You will be (un?)lucky to see the race thru the ads.

Thank the baby jeebus for ads.

Accipiter
01-16-09, 02:06 PM
Arute? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

oddlycalm
01-16-09, 02:34 PM
All the class and excitement of wet cardboard. That includes the "pit hottie" who isn't. Even pressdog is going to be challenged to find anything amusing.

oc

High Sided
01-16-09, 07:03 PM
she's not so bad....
http://lindythackston.com/sample.html

5 minutes on air yesterday with kravitz and eddie...
http://odeo.com/episodes/23884032-Lindy-Thackston-01-15-09
note... she won't be reporting from indy :p

Don Quixote
01-16-09, 07:07 PM
she's not so bad....

http://lindythackston.com/images/photo.jpg

OC, dude, your standards are a little higher than mine. :D

G.
01-16-09, 07:38 PM

Four words.
Face.
Of.
Champ.
Car.

:rofl:

Don Quixote
01-16-09, 07:41 PM
Four words.
Face.
Of.
Champ.
Car.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
oc, don't make me bump the focc thread! :rofl:

opinionated ow
01-16-09, 07:43 PM
Nope, no Scooter. If there was you'd be right.

I don't know...in a fight between tyre man and the fellow whom I can't spell the name of, its a pretty close race.

EVL29
01-16-09, 09:49 PM

Watching her sample video....she looks like Greta Van Susterens little sister.

eiregosod
01-17-09, 12:00 PM
in the booth: Bob Jenkins, Jon Beekhuis, Robbie Buhl

in the pits: Jack Arute, Robbie Floyd (MotoGP, Olympics, various Xtreme Sports), Lindy Thackston (news anchor, ALMS, 2001 indy princess)

I will never get to see these broadcasts.

The broadcast crew is the same as it has been for the past 20 years.

Jenkins :thumbup::thumdown:
Beekhuis :thumbup:
robbie Buhl , who?
Arute , lemming extraordinaire

robot9000
01-22-09, 01:02 PM
Jeeze Jenkins always struck me as someone that was put in the job. He never seemed to be all that passionate or knoldgeable about the sport.

Beekus :thumbup:

pchall
01-22-09, 01:14 PM
Jeeze Jenkins always struck me as someone that was put in the job. He never seemed to be all that passionate or knoldgeable about the sport.

Beekus :thumbup:

For Boob Jerkins it was just a job. All I can say is that he made Paul Page look good.

NismoZ
01-23-09, 01:35 PM
I feel badly for Jon. I hope he's not a "booth buyer." I've switched providers in the past to get CART/ChampCar but I won't be doing that this time.

oddlycalm
01-23-09, 08:08 PM
Four words.
Face.
Of.
Champ.
Car.

:rofl:

Sure, bring that up... :gomer:

oc

Chief
01-24-09, 02:47 PM
The IRL did a good job picking that crew...it compliments the 10 year Versus contract nicely.

And just think....they haven't even hit bottom yet. :rofl:

TKGAngel
01-25-09, 08:59 PM
They just showed TG in attendance at the NHL All Star game. Both TG and Mrs TG (especially so) looked bored out of their minds.

And Versus has been showing IRL promos, with what I swear are not IRL engine sounds.

dando
01-25-09, 09:04 PM
They just showed :tony: in attendance at the NHL All Star game. Both :tony: and Mrs TG (especially so) looked bored out of their minds.

And Versus has been showing IRL promos, with what I swear are not IRL engine sounds.

Fixed that for ya. Ruined my appetite. :(

-Kevin

Cam
01-25-09, 10:57 PM
They just showed TG in attendance at the NHL All Star game. Both TG and Mrs TG (especially so) looked bored out of their minds.

Toeknee always has that look of teh stoopid. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
01-26-09, 09:50 AM
reVersus can be called the official network of boredom, as tg once said his racing product was boring as well

Don Quixote
01-26-09, 10:25 AM
Cut him some slack. With :tony:'s drug addled brain and sub-chimp IQ, there aren't enough years left in his life to learn the rules of hockey.

robot9000
01-26-09, 03:26 PM
Ya know, I never thought I'd look back on the Paul Page / Gary Gerrold time as the "Glory Days".

Chief
01-27-09, 12:33 PM
Ya know, I never thought I'd look back on the Paul Page / Gary Gerrold time as the "Glory Days".
Sadly...it was the Glory Days. I sat back and thought how great it all was 10 years ago...

Today's AOW, not...:shakehead

oddlycalm
01-27-09, 03:17 PM
Nah, I'm confident you just haven't yet visualized her in the context of stoopid scripted questions directed to dribers you don't care about or blathering the stilted brain dead dialogue Mouse Sports comes up with.

The EARL has the reverse midas touch going on. I'm convinced TG could turn diamonds into manure without breaking a sweat.

oc

Napoleon
01-27-09, 04:08 PM
And no matter what sport the broadcast is covering.

Well when its Ohio State I turn down the sound and turn the game on the radio.

As to the IRL, as you suggested I just don't watch so that solves the problem.

Don Quixote
01-27-09, 04:53 PM
Well when its Ohio State I turn down the sound and turn the game on the radio.

As to the IRL, as you suggested I just don't watch so that solves the problem. It is getting harder and harder to listen on the radio while you watch on the TV, due to the different time delays. When I tried it with a football game this year there was at least a 5 or 6 second diffence between the radio and television feeds. So, I gave up and had to listen to a-root. :irked:

Gnam
01-27-09, 04:54 PM
Guess this means Jon Beekhuis won't be in the booth for the Atlantics broadcasts.

Surprisingly, they only have three overlapping dates:
July 26: IRL @ Edmonton; Atlantics @ Autobahn Club (Joliet, IL)
Aug 29: IRL @ Chicago; Atlantics @ Mosport
Oct 11: IRL @ Homestead; Atlantics @ Laguna Seca

But there are other conflicts: (Indy Lights vs Atlantics), (Speed vs Versus), (Reality vs FTG)

Tony George
01-28-09, 02:23 AM
They should hire this guy to be the cameraman. Crashing cars don't seem to bother him! :eek:

http://s.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2009/1/17/16/anigif_one-lucky-guy-10609-1232226146-4.gif

Napoleon
01-28-09, 07:04 AM
It is getting harder and harder to listen on the radio while you watch on the TV, due to the different time delays. When I tried it with a football game this year there was at least a 5 or 6 second diffence between the radio and television feeds. So, I gave up and had to listen to a-root. :irked:

That is a pet peeve of mine. I do it all the time with the Indians and amazingly even though its always the same radio station (the flagship station, no less) and same 2 tv stations the delay seems to be differant every single time. Having said that though there is a certain benefit for me. Any more I rarely just sit there and watch sports so if the radio is way ahead I can just not watch unless it was an interesting play (which I know its going to be since it was on the radio 3 sec. ago).

pchall
01-28-09, 11:32 AM
Years ago when I did a little weekend work for a local sportsquawk station I was told that the difference between the radio feed and the tv feed was that the radio feed for a major event came over a dedicated land line and the tv feed went by satellite. The delau time for tv came from the need to get the feed to a ground station, up and down from the satellite, and from that ground station to the tv station. That made sense for the 1/2 second difference back then, but now the difference between radio and tv is very exaggerated -- the local radio commentary is often finishing up a football play when the ball hasn't even been snapped on tv. I suppose the tv signal now is buffered every step of the way on its path to your set.

Don Quixote
01-28-09, 11:35 AM
Years ago when I did a little weekend work for a local sportsquawk station I was told that the difference between the radio feed and the tv feed was that the radio feed for a major event came over a dedicated land line and the tv feed went by satellite. The delau time for tv came from the need to get the feed to a ground station, up and down from the satellite, and from that ground station to the tv station. That made sense for the 1/2 second difference back then, but now the difference between radio and tv is very exaggerated -- the local radio commentary is often finishing up a football play when the ball hasn't even been snapped on tv. I suppose the tv signal now is buffered every step of the way on its path to your set.
Plus I think they are protecting us from wardrobe malfunctions.

pchall
01-28-09, 11:42 AM
Plus I think they are protecting us from wardrobe malfunctions.

I'd watch more NCAA football and basketball if the cheerleaders had wardrobe malfunctions. :)

patski
01-28-09, 01:50 PM

Its that wonderful digital crap!

oddlycalm
01-28-09, 04:54 PM
Nobody involved gives crap about time domain issues so I'm not looking for that to change any time soon. They all live in their own little worlds and it would take an FTC ruling at a minimum to change that. When the wife turns on the tube in the kitchen to the same channel I'm watching I've noticed that the SD signal is delayed a couple seconds from the SD feed on the same cable network so radical differences between radio and TV don't surprise me.

oc