PDA

View Full Version : USB hub issues

dando
01-08-09, 08:44 PM
OK, this is now pissing me off to no end. :mad: I've had a 7-port Belkin USB hub for the past couple of years. No issues. Recently it started having issues working. I hear the USB connect/disconnect sound every ~30 seconds when the hub is attached to two different computers (one w/o any USB devices connected). Last month I figured the hub went bad, so I bought a replacement...same damn issue happens. :irked: :saywhat: Any thoughts on what's happening or is this a bad POS replacement hub (coincidence)? When I watch the USB branch in Device Manager in XP Pro, it constantly refreshes, but shows that all USB devices are working properly. :confused: Oy.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-08-09, 09:15 PM
plug the new one into the same cable and usb port on the computer? if so, one of those could be the issue. try a different cable and a different usb port on the computer.

dando
01-08-09, 09:25 PM
plug the new one into the same cable and usb port on the computer? if so, one of those could be the issue. try a different cable and a different usb port on the computer.

Nope. Tried front and back ports on the desktop and then on a laptop. The ports on the front of the desktop work fine with just a USB cable, as do the ones on the back for keyboard and mouse. :irked:

-Kevin

Gnam
01-08-09, 09:59 PM
Looking around it's not an uncommon problem. (Mac/PC/Windows/differnet devices)

No solutions though. Some suggestions that it could be a grounding problem. :confused:

Maybe you shouldn't plug your hair dryer into your computer. ;)

nrc
01-09-09, 03:56 AM
Is it a powered or unpowered hub? If it's unpowered maybe it's requiring more power as it gets older.

Cam
01-09-09, 09:17 AM
Power supply.

Insomniac
01-09-09, 12:01 PM
n/m. WB already asked.

datachicane
01-09-09, 12:08 PM
Power supply.

Yep.

dando
01-09-09, 12:40 PM
Is it a powered or unpowered hub? If it's unpowered maybe it's requiring more power as it gets older.

Powered. Hadn't thought of that. I mean, it's just a simple AC adapter. :saywhat:

-Kevin

ChampcarShark
01-09-09, 05:41 PM
have you tried switching cables. Could be a cable gone rotten. :confused::confused::confused:

Cam
01-09-09, 05:42 PM
Powered. Hadn't thought of that. I mean, it's just a simple AC adapter. :saywhat:

-Kevin

AC adapters still go bad. Have a client here that use mostly dumb terms. Power supplies constantly go bad.

dando
01-09-09, 05:45 PM
have you tried switching cables. Could be a cable gone rotten. :confused::confused::confused:

Did that, too. I'll switch the AC thingy out 2nite.

-Kevin

OW
01-09-09, 10:20 PM
Try the circuit breaker....
And make sure there is enough air pressure...
Maybe grease it....

Just kidding....Actually I had a powered hub that worked great for years .. and all of a sudden no equipment recognision....

New hub....just as flaky

I think It might be that you can NOT get a cheap HUB but one with quality and power....

not that Iv'e decided to go out and buy an expensive one ..I still have to unplug the printer to use the scanner etc...

(even tho each peripheral is self powered - i.e. plugged in)

OW
01-09-09, 10:32 PM
Upon further thinking....it may be windows itself...
Sure I have deleted h/w in Device Manager....let it reaccept...etc...
But maybe we are dealing with registry ... stuff

Just my $.02

pchall
01-09-09, 10:46 PM
Looking around it's not an uncommon problem. (Mac/PC/Windows/differnet devices)

No solutions though. Some suggestions that it could be a grounding problem. :confused:

Maybe you shouldn't plug your hair dryer into your computer. ;)

Thanks for the hint. My sister has the same problem. Must be her USB ready Waring blender full of daiquiris...

On the other hand, I'll look at the grounding of the wiring in her computer room. The house is early 50s build (an age when there would be only one or two grounded sockets for major appliances) and I'm not sure if the rewiring by the previous owner is up to standards.

G.
01-10-09, 01:50 AM
I had some usb issues a month back. It wasn't that they were coming and going, it was that they'd work, then stop. Reboot got them going again, all the way until they'd stop again.

I had two backup/archive programs arguing over who gets to backup my files to whatever it was that I tried to connect to the ports. The main ones on the puter box seemed ok, but the hubs got flaky.

Disconnected the 1TB drive, and I think it's gone, for now, but I think it was the programs causing it.

Still need to give my Final Answer on this one...

Methanolandbrats
01-10-09, 10:01 AM
I had this problem when transferring huge amounts of data from an external DVD drive to a desktop drive via USB. Turns out bad sectors on the drive caused it, diagnosed and replaced the drive and no more problem.

dando
01-10-09, 12:12 PM
Power supply.

Which indeed was the case. Thx.

-Kevin