PDA

View Full Version : Oh BABY! USAC

NismoZ
01-08-09, 01:39 PM
New openwheel series! USAC Gold Crown, finally. All pavement, ovals and ROAD COURSES! (but that's OK, they're gonna have TWO speeds!:rofl:) That's right, feeder 'em up from front to rear engines and await the carnage. Just like the old days! Please make room here for what is bound to be exploding nation-wide fan interest. It's own place in the forums, perhaps!?

Sean Malone
01-08-09, 02:19 PM
http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2008/the_way_it_is_no155.html

Methanolandbrats
01-08-09, 02:31 PM
From the Kirby Link

"Ashmore also believes the IRL should adopt some form of kenetic energy recovery systems (KERS), but not until somewhere around 2013.

"If they manage to have three or four engine manufacturers duking it out, then I'm a big supporter of looking at KERS systems and regenerative braking and alternative fuels," Ashmore said. "You don't have to do all of them, but regenerative braking and KERS are great things to develop. They're very expensive but racing is a great medium to develop these things and as that happens they will come down in price as everyone figures out how to make it work. I think spec car racing is here to stay so you've got to have something that people can develop in racing.

"I would say they would probably be better off doing it in 2013. It would be a lot of work to do for 2011. Ideally, you would continue to work with your engine manufacturers who are coming in 2011 to agree on the best way of introducing KERS a couple of years later. The biggest danger is trying to do too much at once and I think a new engine is enough for everyone to cope with in the first step. But I think the top levels of racing should be involved in developing more efficient road cars."

:rofl::rofl::saywhat: This guy makes Tony George look sane.

Don Quixote
01-08-09, 02:44 PM
:D
I want some of what he's smoking.

SurfaceUnits
01-08-09, 03:07 PM
just amagion how much enrgy they could recover from all those backend into the wall incidents :shakehead

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0517/rpm_a_pgiebler_300.jpg

SurfaceUnits
01-08-09, 03:21 PM
they'll be lucky to have the honda dingleberry hanging around

oddlycalm
01-08-09, 03:31 PM
"I like Al Jr's approach," Ashmore said. "I've been a great fan of his over the years. It's good to have him back in racing and have him on the team that develops the new Indy car. His ideas will help improve the racing and driver experience."

Yup, the wisdom of Little Al is gonna save the racing...:gomer:

oc

STD
01-08-09, 05:47 PM
I like my Maserati 250f without the added on futuristic junk please.

http://www.marksf1models.co.uk/CMC/M-064-Maserati-Fangio-rightfrontmed.jpg

JLMannin
01-08-09, 06:07 PM
http://www.gordonkirby.com/images/columns/theway/2008/GK155-1.png

Great. A rolling turd with sidepods and a front wing. Yea, that will save Indy. :rofl:

SurfaceUnits
01-08-09, 07:40 PM
Great. A rolling turd with sidepods and a front wing. Yea, that will save Indy. :rofl:

i don't think the i am mindy crowd or anyone else who goes to the irl 500 gives a crap what is running there. JMAO

pchall
01-08-09, 08:48 PM
Don't laugh too much. With a big torquey V8 and all that HP two speeds would be enough on a road course. It's been done by sports car builders. Bill Sadler's Mk V, Jim Hall's cars with the automatic, and -- if memory serves -- Bob McKee's early sports racers.

New openwheel series! USAC Gold Crown, finally. All pavement, ovals and ROAD COURSES! (but that's OK, they're gonna have TWO speeds!:rofl:) That's right, feeder 'em up from front to rear engines and await the carnage. Just like the old days! Please make room here for what is bound to be exploding nation-wide fan interest. It's own place in the forums, perhaps!?

pchall
01-08-09, 08:53 PM
I like my Maserati 250f without the added on futuristic junk please.

:) The 250F is arguably the most beautiful of the 50s F1 cars.

ChrisB
01-08-09, 10:30 PM
From Kirby's article:

It will become a great transition series from the traditional American offset, front-engined open-wheel cars into the square, or symmetrical layout car like an IndyCar.

"So the Gold Crown drivers will be able to move into Indy Lights to learn how ground effects work and deal with pitch sensitivity, and then move up into the big cars where you have power and downforce. Gold Crown will be the destination series of USAC but it can lead on and up into IndyCar racing if the competitor desires or makes the cut.

No such thing is going to happen... as long as ICS uses a RE winged formula car, it's drivers will come exclusively from formula car ladders.

There is NFW a USAC GC driver will spend the $$$ to get into Indy Lights when he has no chance of making the next jump to ICS compared to the steady stream of F1 rejects showing up there from around the globe.

Let me repeat....

There is NFW a USAC GC driver will spend the $$$ to get into Indy Lights when he has no chance of making the next jump to ICS compared to the steady stream of F1 rejects showing up there from around the globe.

stroker
01-08-09, 11:09 PM

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I'll say it anyway.

Take off the sidepods and nose, put a five speed in them, then allow for a proportional displacement/weight relationship. I'd watch.

At least, I'd watch more than the crap they're showing now.

Methanolandbrats
01-08-09, 11:52 PM
This is the Gomer Death Rattle. The last gasp of the faithful who don't know there is a bridge out on the road to Indy and nobody can rebuild it.

pchall
01-09-09, 12:34 AM
I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I'll say it anyway.

Take off the sidepods and nose, put a five speed in them, then allow for a proportional displacement/weight relationship. I'd watch.

At least, I'd watch more than the crap they're showing now.

That's not heresy. A retro FE single seater road racing series would be fun to watch. 420 HP with skinny tires at 1350 lb dry. The only downforce would come from fat drivers.

miatanut
01-09-09, 01:43 AM
That's not heresy. A retro FE single seater road racing series would be fun to watch. 420 HP with skinny tires at 1350 lb dry. The only downforce would come from fat drivers.

:thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
01-09-09, 08:49 AM
ISDGAF

NismoZ
01-09-09, 09:28 AM
Low end torquey V-8 grunt, huh? I've always believed engine sound is one of the great attractions of racing (road racing in particular) and listening to Gold Crowners run up through THE GEAR out of a hairpin doesn't strike me as being too stimulating. I saw and heard Penske in Hall's automatic in the USRRCs and was disappointed with it's voice. Went like stink, however!:D

NismoZ
01-09-09, 09:36 AM
If you want real retro cars with retro drivers (who often provide gobs of extra downforce) you must trek to Road America this July 16-19 for the Brian Redman thing. The sights sounds are exquisite! (I wonder if we'll see any DP01s there?:shakehead)

opinionated ow
01-09-09, 10:13 AM
They're just the upside down bathtub "new generation silver crown" with different bodywork. hunks of ****!

DagoFast
01-09-09, 11:25 AM

Oh! Cue the Tony Stewart rumors, stat!

pchall
01-09-09, 01:31 PM
I saw and heard Penske in Hall's automatic in the USRRCs and was disappointed with it's voice. Went like stink, however!:D

That's where I got my start in motorsports. The Chaparrals were just so cool I had to see them and my dad took me to two USRRC races in 1964. I was so new to the game that everything sounded cool. But then I was listening to military turbojets every day back then and thought they were as cool as snot, too. :)

Michaelhatesfans
01-09-09, 04:27 PM
Don't laugh too much. With a big torquey V8 and all that HP two speeds would be enough on a road course. It's been done by sports car builders. Bill Sadler's Mk V, Jim Hall's cars with the automatic, and -- if memory serves -- Bob McKee's early sports racers.

No arguement on that. But let's not kid ourselves - they will find ways to make this new concept suck.

pchall
01-09-09, 04:31 PM
No arguement on that. But let's not kid ourselves - they will find ways to make this new concept suck.

Yup. Real racing is dead. Everything -- including F1 -- is going spec.

Michaelhatesfans
01-09-09, 04:32 PM

This would be sound preparation for them if only it were 1956.

SurfaceUnits
01-09-09, 09:29 PM

as if it didn't start out suckie

stroker
01-09-09, 11:16 PM

They'll HAVE to--the basic concept (if they ditch the pods, etc.) would be superior sport to the .1RL.

Andrew Longman
01-10-09, 02:01 PM
Why not just slap some wide slicks on this and be done?

http://www.arielatom.com/images/stories/car-shots/500/500-front-950w.jpg

Ariel announce the latest version of the Atom - the Ariel Atom 500, powered by a small V8 engine. With over 500bhp in a 500kilo package the Atom 500 will boast one of the highest power to weight ratios ever for a production car, ever. At over 1000bhp per tonne the Atom 500 will be the ultimate statement in performance and is destined to be made in a limited edition.

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

EVL29
01-10-09, 04:17 PM
That would be freakin' awesome.

Room for a riding mechanic as well.

Michaelhatesfans
01-10-09, 08:29 PM

That's far too interesting for Tony.

Brian_R
01-26-09, 04:14 PM
That car would be great for some sort of legalized road rally series (all on tarmac of course). Don't give the navigator / mechanic the directions until 30 minutes before stage start. :) We'd have to work out a side-by-side aspect though...

High Sided
01-26-09, 07:31 PM

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

here is a bit top gear did on the atom.

WaWoo82zNUA

Andrew Longman
01-26-09, 09:06 PM
here is a bit top gear did on the atom.

WaWoo82zNUA

Your link didn't work but I think this will. This got me hooked on the Atom and Top Gear

Season finale on now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA