PDA

View Full Version : Aviation biofuel test

pchall
01-07-09, 10:25 AM
In the wake of similar tests by Air NZ and Virgin Atlantic, another GE powered airliner will test an aviation fuel blend of 50% Jet A, 44% jatropha oil, and 6% algal oil. The Continental jet will be flying out of the George Bush Intercontinental Airport the Houston area later today.

What!? No corn oil? The economy of Iowa will certainly fail because of this. ;)

There was a big write up in the local snapper wrapper this morning since GE's engine division is a big deal in this area: http://www.enquirer.com just in case you want to read the article.

Wheel-Nut
01-07-09, 11:48 AM
I hope they fly straight out over the GoM, just in case, you know.

Wheel-Nut
01-07-09, 04:55 PM
It flew.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6198680.html

Ankf00
01-07-09, 05:07 PM
theres a couple biofuel startups focusing on jet a

oddlycalm
01-07-09, 05:10 PM
The real news would be if it didn't work. Turbine engines will run on just about anything flammable as long as the fuel system can pass it. It's one of the reasons they are reliable as a hammer.

Not to split fine hairs over the home town pride thing, but GE Evendale has always been 100% military engines AFAIK.

oc

opinionated ow
01-07-09, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't put this in my diesel...will stick with avtur. And not a chance in hell I'd put E10 or similar in my Citabria or Warrior!

pchall
01-07-09, 08:51 PM
Not to split fine hairs over the home town pride thing, but GE Evendale has always been 100% military engines AFAIK.

oc

They've been building commercial jet engines in Evendale since the mid 50s when they developed a civilian version of the J79 for the Convair 550.

I worked there in the publications department designing pretty pamphlets and editing for nearly two years after my first stint in grad school.

oddlycalm
01-09-09, 08:04 PM
They've been building commercial jet engines in Evendale since the mid 50s when they developed a civilian version of the J79 for the Convair 550.

I worked there in the publications department designing pretty pamphlets and editing for nearly two years after my first stint in grad school.

Wow, now that's a shocker. :confused: Duh, I feel like a blind man describing an elephant. As many times as I've been in there all the projects we worked on were military so I just assumed... We've worked on a lot of commercial products for GE at Lynn, Hookset, Rutland, and the big stationary turbines down at Greenville, but never Evendale. They don't really encourage you to look around a lot...

oc

pchall
01-09-09, 10:32 PM
As many times as I've been in there all the projects we worked on were military so I just assumed...
oc

Who knows what they do in the bomb proof subbasement floors there... ;)

I never got to do any publication or any document on the military projects. They must have figured me as long haired Commie English professor type. :)

oddlycalm
01-12-09, 04:06 PM
Who knows what they do in the bomb proof subbasement floors there... ;)

I never got to do any publication or any document on the military projects. They must have figured me as long haired Commie English professor type. :)
Yeah, I know the feeling. I always feel like the guards with with A4's are looking at me suspiciously...:eek: I always wondered if the spin pits where they frag test the turbines were in the subbasements, but it's not the kind of place you want to ask a lot of questions about stuff that doesn't concern you...;)

The thing that most vexes me about Evendale is the fact that they never have any inexpensive material to take a test cut on, regardless of what the process is. Nobody wants to destroy a $30,000 piece of inconel 718 or titanium alloy just to see if the machine or process is working, yet they won't allow any non-spec material lacking a certificate of origin to be brought in for testing. Total Catch 22. Always been that way going back in the day when I was doing my co-op program at Cincinnati Milacron.

oc