PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care

Sean Malone
01-06-09, 02:29 PM
I have a service that comes every 6 weeks and puts down whatever they put down; fertilizer, pesticide, weed killer etc.
After doing some quick cost analysis it looks like I can come in about a quarter of what it is costing me currently. My thought is that for $120 I can get a spreader that I would tow behind my mower since I have to mow the yard anyway. Looking at some of the products at lowes it looks like I can do applications every 3 months per, some go longer. (???)
Does anyone do this themselves? Can you recommend any products that are working? Should I use grass specific fertilizer? I see St Augustine specific products. How effective are the multi products i.e. fertilizer/ weed killer?

Thanks!

Wheel-Nut
01-06-09, 02:37 PM
I do it myself, about 13k sq. ft. of St. Augustine.

I use a general fertilizer - 13-13-13 usually works for me, twice a year, once in the spring and then again in the fall. I try to time the application with the weather so I don't have to water it in.

I avoid the stuff with a high nitrogen content.

Methanolandbrats
01-06-09, 02:47 PM
I do it myself. If you cut weeds short enough, they look just like grass :gomer:

dando
01-06-09, 03:58 PM
I've did it for years myself, but when we moved to the current house ~7 years ago, the sod ended up being infested with weeds. I had to call in the pros ~2 years ago and the lawn has been awesome since. I may go back to doing it myself this year rather than pay the $400 or so to have it done. I recommend a drop spreader rather than a rotary. Also, I've always used Scotts and follow their spring/summer/fall/winterize program.

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
01-06-09, 05:31 PM
I prefer a broadcast spreader over a drop spreader. The broadcast is more forgiving if your not walking so straight. :D

dando
01-06-09, 05:35 PM
I prefer a broadcast spreader over a drop spreader. The broadcast is more forgiving if your not walking so straight. :D

Wind is a problem with broadcast. Drop is a PITA if you are doing it walking, but trailing behind a mower shouldn't be an issue unless Malone is wearing one of these:

http://www.spirithalloween.com/images/spirit/products/processed/00487520.zoom.a.jpg

:D

-Kevin

jcollins28
01-06-09, 07:29 PM
I guess no one here saw the movie "A Day Without A Mexican"? People actually cut their own grass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8t8DCSP020

nrc
01-06-09, 09:27 PM
I recommend a drop spreader rather than a rotary. Also, I've always used Scotts and follow their spring/summer/fall/winterize program.

I got a pull behind broadcast spreader for the lawn tractor a couple of years ago and I hate it. The holes are always clogging and it ends up putting down half what it should. In the spring I plan to get a drop spreader/aerator combo to kill multiple birds with one piece of kit (re-seed/fertilize/aerate). Ditto on the Scotts except my steps are more like spring/forget/fall/forget/spring/summer/forget/forget.

Wheel-Nut
01-07-09, 11:46 AM
Wind is a problem with broadcast. Drop is a PITA if you are doing it walking, but trailing behind a mower shouldn't be an issue unless Malone is wearing one of these:

:D

-Kevin

Just like in golf, you have to work with the wind.

SteveH
01-07-09, 01:59 PM
I do my own yard, but its small and doesn't have any trouble sports. At the previous house the yard had issues and I used a lawn care company for two years. After that, the lawn was stabilized and I took it from there. Couldn't tell any difference. I use only fertilizer now, cut the grass long to choke out the few weeds that appear and spot treat with Weed-B-Gone for the few that actually do appear (dandelions mostly). Piece of cake and not expensive.

G.
01-07-09, 02:47 PM
I have a service that comes every 6 weeks and puts down whatever they put down; fertilizer, pesticide, weed killer etc.
After doing some quick cost analysis it looks like I can come in about a quarter of what it is costing me currently. My thought is that for $120 I can get a spreader that I would tow behind my mower since I have to mow the yard anyway. Looking at some of the products at lowes it looks like I can do applications every 3 months per, some go longer. (???)
Does anyone do this themselves? Can you recommend any products that are working? Should I use grass specific fertilizer? I see St Augustine specific products. How effective are the multi products i.e. fertilizer/ weed killer?

Thanks!Do your own.

A few items that I have found:
If you DO use the weed-killer/fertilizer combo, you have to wait for the perfect morning to spread it, the little bits need to stick TO the weed leaves in order to work. Early AM, lots of dew, then hard rain forecast two days later (rain or watering needed after application, or you might burn the lawn with the fertilizer).
I use Scott's (and overpay) mainly due to the granularity quality. Less clumping, more even coverage, and the pieces actually stick to the weeds, sometimes. Off-brands seem to spread unevenly for me. Note: If you notice that your spreadpattern changes dramatically, now is not the time for sticktoitiveness and perseverance. Do not just press on with the good fight. Google maps does in fact, have the "satellite" (plane) resolution to show the world the brown walking pattern that you used as the spreading got all wonky. :laugh:

I only occationally use the weedkiller stuff. I prolly will this spring, since the weeds got a bit of a toehold this past fall.

Since I walk, I use a broadcast spreader. If I towed, it would be a drop, no question.

That **** will stain anything. If it ain't green, it's stained. Shoes, socks, sidewalk, skin, dog, whatever. Little brown stains. They are forever.

Since you have had a service coming, I would expect that you could just use straight fertilizer with no concern for weeds.

If you want to get fancy, ask a former farmer what they use. I know a few that buy their **** from Farm&Fleet in the 5 gal buckets. They open the lid, and the weeds are gone. One fertilizer application means that the dog needs a machete to tinkle, the grass grows so fast.
(I say "former" farmer, cuz they've done moved to the city and take care of their lawn. Current country farmers don't take care of their lawn, cuz then they'd have to cut it and stuff. No money in that.)

dando
01-07-09, 03:29 PM
I use Scott's (and overpay) mainly due to the granularity quality. Less clumping, more even coverage, and the pieces actually stick to the weeds, rarely.

Fixed that post for ya. :gomer: :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
01-07-09, 03:44 PM
Great info guys. Just what I was hoping for.

A few things…I have a sprinkler system so it will be easy for me to water in what I apply. Could I also use the sprinklers to wet the grass prior so that it sticks better? The service instructs me to water in their application too.

I am concerned with the ‘critters’. There are more damn varmints and insects in FL than I’ve ever seen elsewhere! When we first moved in we had gopher hills in the front yard (only house on our street with them) and I tried everything that Lowes sold to try to get rid of them. That’s what made me hire the lawn service because my neighbor said they don’t like the taste of the stuff the lawn guy sprays. After the first application they’ve never been back. Fire ants are a big problem along with vaious grubs/chinch bugs etc.

In VA, the only time I thought of my lawn was when it needed mowing.
I’ve noticed some of the guys who do their own applications use liquid like the commercial guys, towed in a sprayer behind their lawn tractor. Any advantage? Do you think it is just pesticides or fertilizer also?

Thanks for the help!!

Elmo T
01-07-09, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by G. View Post
I use Scott's (and overpay) mainly due to the granularity quality. Less clumping, more even coverage, and the pieces actually stick to the weeds, rarely.

Fixed that post for ya. :gomer: :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

I've had pretty decent luck with the Scott's products ($$:saywhat:) - the exception being the weedkiller. I've found the "hook-it-to-your-hose" products do a much better job than the dry stuff.

On the lawn care service folks - I had an interesting conversation with some of the Dept. of Agriculture folks who regulate some of these guys. We (emergency services) were concerned about the use of unpermitted chemicals or improper mixing. They had a chuckle and said in their experience the violators were typically NOT using any chemicals (just watering) or such low concentrations that it was below any effective level.

dando
01-07-09, 04:29 PM
Great info guys. Just what I was hoping for.

A few things…I have a sprinkler system so it will be easy for me to water in what I apply. Could I also use the sprinklers to wet the grass prior so that it sticks better? The service instructs me to water in their application too.

I am concerned with the ‘critters’. There are more damn varmints and insects in FL than I’ve ever seen elsewhere! When we first moved in we had gopher hills in the front yard (only house on our street with them) and I tried everything that Lowes sold to try to get rid of them. That’s what made me hire the lawn service because my neighbor said they don’t like the taste of the stuff the lawn guy sprays. After the first application they’ve never been back. Fire ants are a big problem along with vaious grubs/chinch bugs etc.

In VA, the only time I thought of my lawn was when it needed mowing.
I’ve noticed some of the guys who do their own applications use liquid like the commercial guys, towed in a sprayer behind their lawn tractor. Any advantage? Do you think it is just pesticides or fertilizer also?

Thanks for the help!!

Ya'll don't get a killing freeze down that way, so the bugs take over. My mom is in Hilton Head and they generally get some cold weather that controls the bug population.

You can certainly water the lawn before applying Step 2 (broad leaf herbicide plus fertilizer). My guess if they are spraying liquid, it's both herbicide and fertilizer. You really only need liquid for herbicide, tho.

-Kevin

Sean Malone
01-07-09, 04:29 PM
I've had pretty decent luck with the Scott's products ($$:saywhat:) - the exception being the weedkiller. I've found the "hook-it-to-your-hose" products do a much better job than the dry stuff.

On the lawn care service folks - I had an interesting conversation with some of the Dept. of Agriculture folks who regulate some of these guys. We (emergency services) were concerned about the use of unpermitted chemicals or improper mixing. They had a chuckle and said in their experience the violators were typically NOT using any chemicals (just watering) or such low concentrations that it was below any effective level.

The sales guy from the national lawn service I have (had) and my next door neighbor mentioned that a few years ago the feds banned the use of the lawn treatment chemical that was about 50%, if not more, effective than the stuff they use now. He told me while we were walking around my yard and I was asking whether his weed treatment would get rid of *points to weed* "that one?", "uh, no. Not that one", "how 'bout that one?", "um, no. Not that one" etc.

dando
01-07-09, 04:31 PM
The sales guy from the national lawn service I have (had) and my next door neighbor mentioned that a few years ago the feds banned the use of the lawn treatment chemical that was about 50%, if not more, effective than the stuff they use now. He told me while we were walking around my yard and I was asking whether his weed treatment would get rid of *points to weed* "that one?", "uh, no. Not that one", "how 'bout that one?", "um, no. Not that one" etc.

My mom used to work for Chemlawn. The stuff they used to use was akin to Agent Orange. :saywhat: But the professional guys have access to stronger stuff than we can buy in the stores. :(

-Kevin

pchall
01-07-09, 10:04 PM

Drop spreaders are also unforgiving if you don't close them when you stop... hard to blame burned spots that big on the schnauzer!

anait
01-08-09, 12:55 AM
My mom used to work for Chemlawn. The stuff they used to use was akin to Agent Orange. :saywhat: But the professional guys have access to stronger stuff than we can buy in the stores. :(

-Kevin

I spent all last summer trying to kill whatever pest was/is doing a number on our 25' spruce tree, to no avail. A farmer friend offered the 'professional stuff' he could get his hands on, as long as I promised not to name my source. :D

OW
01-08-09, 01:17 AM
I'm one that cuts my own also...but the snow keeps clogging my blades. :saywhat:

anait
01-08-09, 01:33 AM
I'm one that cuts my own also...but the snow keeps clogging my blades. :saywhat:

Get one of these, it'll take care of the snow, maybe some of the grass... :D

http://www.drlawnenterprise.com/TB_8526snowblower.jpg

chop456
01-08-09, 02:53 AM
When we first moved in we had gopher hills in the front yard (only house on our street with them) and I tried everything that Lowes sold to try to get rid of them. That’s what made me hire the lawn service because my neighbor said they don’t like the taste of the stuff the lawn guy sprays.

You made them slightly peeved when you could have Rodenated them? Needs more bloodlust. :D

2umEFHeo6mw

Wheel-Nut
01-08-09, 11:25 AM
^^ I like that, almost makes me want to go out and get some gophers for the landscape!!

Wheel-Nut
01-08-09, 11:26 AM
Drop spreaders are also unforgiving if you don't close them when you stop... hard to blame burned spots that big on the schnauzer!

So true. You learn quick you can't pause to take a drink of your beer.

G.
01-08-09, 11:48 AM
You made them slightly peeved when you could have Rodenated them? Needs more bloodlust. :D

That is awesomeness defined!

Bring one to Road America!

dando
01-08-09, 01:08 PM
So true. You learn quick you can't pause to take a drink of your beer.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/images/spirit/products/processed/00487520.zoom.a.jpg

:)

-Kevin

OW
01-10-09, 12:21 AM

2umEFHeo6mw

GOPHER THE GOLD!!

Indy
01-15-09, 03:31 AM
Do it yourself.

Here in Indianer, at least, you can go to the farm coop and get the hard core liquid stuff that kills the weeds like magic, and you can also get the generic (ultra cheap) granule fertilizer. Unless your yard is really large, use a small tank sprayer and a walk behind broadcast spreader. The tow behind options are really only best if you must use them because of the size of your yard, more than, say, 1 full acre. Otherwise the more you do by hand, the better will be your results.